2009 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse:

2009 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 5 of 11)

Sep 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

My 2009 Chevy Traverse with approx. 68000 miles has begun to show a lack of power steering at very low speeds. As the RPM's are increased the normal function returns. My concern is that the power steering will go out completely; possibly at highway speeds.

- Greenwood, MO, USA

Jun 182014

Loss of steering while driving. Very scary. This should not happen.

- Davisburg, MI, USA

Dec 092013

Traverse 6-cyl

Towards the end of 2013 my wife and I started noticing the steering being really difficult and locking up on some occasions pulling into parking spaces and parallel parking. We experienced some near misses where the steering locked and felt like we were going to collide with the vehicle in the next parking space. We took our car to the dealership in June 2014 to have the air bag recall done and a state inspection. We also told the dealer that the coolant level was consistently staying low and the steering almost locks up at times. The dealer said the steering gear (or rack and pinion) was bad. The dealer would not pass the inspection. State inspections are performed to ensure safe vehicle conditions. If a GM dealer is not willing to perform a state inspection they are admitting this is a safety issue. The dealer performed the air bag fix, and replaced the water pump (from the coolant level complaint, prior tsb). They said the steering gear fix would have to be scheduled the following week. After two days the check engine light came on (C1100 and P00008). We scheduled the appointment to have the steering gear replaced because we were unsure if the steering would lock up on a normal turn while driving. The dealer said the C1100 was a loose cable at the control board and the P00008 was a bad timing chain (replaced under a prior tsb). The steering gear was replaced and the cost was $1,552. After reading similar complaints from other owners of Chevy Traverse vehicles this is a systemic issue due to a poor design steering gear. GM should make the right decision and stand behind their quality in a proactive way and issue a recall to have these steering gears replaced before someone gets injured.

- Fletcher, NC, USA

Jun 172014

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated while driving over a speed bump, the power steering failed and the steering wheel did not move. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 82,000. Updated 08/19/14 updated 08/21/14

- Laurel, MD, USA

May 152014

Traverse 6-cyl

Intermittent steering problems under 20-25 mph. First issue was intermittent power steering when trying to turn in to my driveway or parking spot. Now has gotten worse to now steering wheel gets really hard to turn when making slight turn on to off ramp or side street. I have to manhandle the steering wheel to keep from running off the ramp or run into other vehicles.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Dec 122012

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned making the steering wheel very difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering rack and steering pump had malfunctioned. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Mahopac, NY, USA

Mar 062014

Traverse 6-cyl

There is a grinding sound when turning the steering wheel regardless of speed, even sitting still but mostly at slower speeds. You can feel the vibration of the grinding in your hand through the steering wheel. Sound and vibration getting worse. Now at 60,000 miles.

- Denham Springs, La, LA, USA

Apr 242014

Traverse 6-cyl

Power steering failure while turning at low speeds. Problem is worse and occurs most when trying to park. You can be halfway through your turn into a parking space and all of a sudden power steering goes out. Have almost hit several parked cars just pulling into a parking space. Also happens when making low speed turns on the road. Very dangerous because you never know when the power steering will stop working. So far it has not happened at high speeds and hoping it never does.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Jun 052014

Traverse 6-cyl

As we were backing out of the driveway the power steering went out, which gave us no ability to turn. The car is not safe to drive in this condition. We believe this is a defect in the power steering and should be part of a recall. This is a huge safety issue and a recall should be made before people are injured.

- Holland, MI, USA

Apr 182014

Traverse 6-cyl

I have noticed noise in the steering column. The first 2 times I took it in for service the tech was unable to replicate the problem. The third time I took it in, they heard the noise and diagnosed a problem with the steering rack. I was told the rack needs to be replaced, and that if I did not replace the rack I would at some point lose power steering. If this occurs, I believe that it is possible that I could be involved in a collision. Since the problem was diagnosed, I have noticed a vibration in the steering column that seems to be getting worse. At this point, GM is not taking responsibility for this problem, although it is such a widespread problem that a class action lawsuit has been filed in the Florida court system.

- Newark, DE, USA

May 012014

There is a loss of power steering at low speeds when making sharp turns such as U turns and turning into parking spots. The power steering fluid level has been checked and is fine. Purchased the vehicle in August 2009. In late 2009/early 2010 there was a recall related to the steering column. In the last few years there has been noise emitted from the column, but Chevy dealership said this was not a safety issue and it would cost over $1000 to fix. However, now it is a safety issue and is getting worse. There are hundreds of complaints online about the same problem. Chevy should issue a recall before someone is seriously injured.

- Clifton, VA, USA

Dec 072012

Traverse 6-cyl

Power steering whining was diagnosed and replaced at 48,000 miles and now at 70,000 miles the power steering is failing again. Having it lock up on me at slow speeds and causing me lose ability to control direction. Very unsafe condition.

- Cross Plains, WI, USA

Jun 032014

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated while driving approximately 10 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The failure occurred numerous times since 2013. The dealer nor manufacturer were notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Lordsburg, NM, USA

Mar 052014

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated while traveling at an unknown speed, the steering wheel was extremely difficult to turn either right or left intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering needed to be flushed. The vehicle was repaired and the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who was not able to neither duplicate nor diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Manhattan, KS, USA

Apr 102014

Traverse 6-cyl

Vehicle has been experiencing intermittent issues with steering at low speeds. While trying to park, pull into traffic or make low speed turns, the steering will seize.

- East Falmouth, MA, USA

May 292014

While at slow speeds, turning can become extremely hard. Acts like the power steering has quit, but then a few seconds later it is fine. Power steering fluid is at the appropriate levels. Seems to happen more often when you are doing frequent turning at slower speeds.

- Candor, NY, USA

May 232014

I own a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse ltz.. I have been experiencing steering problems with this vehicle at low speeds when parking in parking slots and when turning at intersections. When turning or parking the power steering will not work and the vehicle is very difficult to steer. I have check the power steering fluid and the fluid levels are fine. I have spent over $1,200 on trying to repair the problem and the vehicle is still having problems steering. I have taken the vehicle to a local dealership and the dealership advised me that there are no recalls for this vehicle. My wife is the primary driver of this vehicle and I am afraid if the steering locks up what may happen to her while she is driving the vehicle. I am to a point that I want to sell or trade the vehicle but I do not want to put the burden of this vehicle on anyone else. I hope that GM has a recall soon on this vehicle because I am afraid what may happen if this problem is not addressed.

- Delhi, LA, USA

Mar 312014

Traverse 6-cyl

When I attempted to turn onto a busy street with my wife's 2009 Chevrolet Traverse, the power steering failed and I nearly broadsided another vehicle. Fortunately I was able to stop before a collision occurred. When I got home I checked the power steering fluid and it was just under the max level. My wife said she has experienced the same thing when pulling into a parking space or just turning at slower speeds but it hasn't been consistent. Now in the last couple months the problem has become consistent. I have read many complaints online of the same problem with not only the Traverse but with GMC acadia's and Buick enclaves.

- Adrian, MI, USA

May 212014

Traverse 6-cyl

When operating the vehicle at slow speeds (I.e. backing into parking spaces, taking sharp curves), the vehicle's power steering will fail, making it nearly impossible to turn the vehicle.

- Jeffersonville, IN, USA

May 122014

Traverse 6-cyl

Since back in April 2014 I started to notice that at time the wheel would be hard to turn when parking. I contact the dealer and they said that power steering was a known problem with the Traverse. Just recently it got so bad that I can't turn the wheel safely. When making a right turn the wheel locked and I rolled into the curve. When pulling out of the parking lot I had to give it some gas to get the wheel to try to turn and almost hit a person. When to trying to back the car because the wheel is so tight I almost hit someone again. I contacted GM and they said they would offer me cost assistance to get it fix. The dealer said they put all my information in some calculation system and it came back as the only cost assistance I qualified for is 100% participation on my part. I have to cost assistant to help myself pay the bill. I don't want to be responsible for hitting a person or another car because my wheel is locking because the power steering gear is leaking and need to be replace and now the power steering pump is bad. And they keep telling me this is a known issue and everyone has to pay for GM error.

- Waukesha, WI, USA