Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: There are serious power steering concerns for the Traverse. Data shows that owners are having a difficult time with their power steering quitting, particularly at low speeds.

2010 Chevrolet Traverse electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 252016

Passenger side window will not go down from driver side. Driver side tries not to go down. Both headlights went out days apart. Passenger heat does not work while driver and back heat works. Tire gage says rear tire pressure low when it means the front. When air is added the next day it says tire pressure low again. Power lift gate falling. These things happen while stationary and in motion.

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

Oct 152015

Starter failed; difficulty starting; initially thought it was the battery. Had to replace the starter; possible recall. Cost $482.68

- Florence, NJ, USA

Feb 242015

Me & my family were driving on the highway, doing 65 mph, & suddenly the chime in my vehicle goes off, & in the display window it reads service traction control, service stabilitrak & park assist off. Also the engine light & I believe the stabilitrak light come on. Then the vehicle just slows down & when I try to push the gas to go, it will not go over 20 mph. I put my hazard lights on & luckily I was just a few minutes from home. The next day I take my vehicle back to greg may Honda where I purchased it, they put it on that machine & they said I would have to take it to a Chevy dealership. That same day I take it & they tell me it's the throttle body. So I drive my vehicle home & try to come up with the money to make the repair & I take my vehicle to my personnel mechanic on Feb 27, 2015, they replace the throttle body for $521.79 (I do have receipt). 3 months later on May 23, 2015 the same problem happened again while I was out of town. 3 months after that on Aug 7, 2015 it did it. And again on Sept 1, 2015. I purchased this vehicle used on Nov 29, 2014, I only had it 3 months when it began to mess up on me. Each time it happened I am either on a busy city street or on the highway. I have 5 children in my vehicle & this is extremely dangerous for my family.

- Waco, TX, USA

Jul 312015

I was driving and all of a sudden air conditioner stopped blowing cold air, traction light came othe stability limessage came on as well saying offn, check engine light came on, battery gauge went way down, water gauge showed no water level, gas gauge showed no gas, I stopped to get gas and then car would not start, kept trying to start it, finally turned on but all gauges were crazy. Took the car right to waldorf Chevrolet on 2298 crain hwy in waldorf, md. The dealer couldn't even get the car started again after I turned the car off. Never happened before they checked out the car and called me around 12:00 pm and said you computer board needs to be replaced is completely shot. After reading several Chevy Traverses have the same issue. This needs to be a recall too many with the same issue. Its an expensive issue at that. I truly believe this model of car is a waste of money. I guess I should of bought a Toyota 5 years ago...

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Jul 062015

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 60 mph, an unknown warning light illuminated and the vehicle's speed reduced. The vehicle would not accelerate. The contact stated that the engine stalled and was able to restart. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was unknown hat needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. The VIN was not available.

- Lexington, NC, USA

Feb 272015

On the way to longview Texas, we were driving on the loop in palestine when the stabilitrak light came on, the check engine light came on, and park assist light came on. The vehicle lost power quickly and we had to cross two lanes of traffic to get to the shoulder. I am pregnant and my 3 year old was in the car. Vehicle was towed, I had to pay for a rental car. The bacon Chevrolet in palestine charged me $150 to run diagnostics and give me an oil change since that was due up. They fixed three recalls that were due on my vehicle I had owned for 1.5 yrs, then none of the lights came back on. Again on May 12th, yesterday, my vehicle stabilitrac light came on, check engine light came on, and the vehicle RPM's would go to about 3,000 only driving 40 mph. I was able to make it home and parked the car. My husband came out to check on it and the stabilitrak light had gone off but check engine light is still on. I called local dealership tom light Chevy and was told "there have been no issues with this", they must not get the internet there. This has been a huge problem with multiple owners of both the Traverse and the equinox (my sister has one that has the same issue) from the 2009 all the way to 2013 model from what I have seen. I want to know why there has been no recall and why we are paying to run diagnostics or to fix things when the lights come on again and tell us the issue is something else?! GM needs to do a recall or they are going to lose many customers with the way it is being handled. If these lights come on again soon, this will be three times in six months! I am looking at trading this vehicle in and telling everyone I know to stay away from GM if this is handled improperly.

- College Station , TX, USA

Feb 052015

Traverse 6-cyl

2010 Traverse. Displayed showed traction control off, service stabilitrac, engine power reduced. The car suddenly dropped to 10mph. I see these problems all over and it seems as if my VIN isn't covered. This could have caused serious harm to my family and others. Could have caused a major accident.

- Sugar Grove, OH, USA

Jan 082015

Traverse 6-cyl

Wife was driving the kids to school this morning on the highway and all of a sudden the displayed showed traction control off, service stabilitrac, engine power reduced. The car suddenly dropped to 25mph. I see these problems all over and it seems as if my VIN isn't covered. This could have caused serious harm to my family and others. This is not the only issue, I also have a complaint about the steering problems.

- Hughesville, MD, USA

Dec 292014

Traverse 6-cyl

Chevy Traverse 2010 with 74K miles. Driving vehicle on highway during morning traffic. Vehicle check engine light came on, service stabilitrak warning, traction control off warning, and reduced engine power warning. Vehicle suddenly reduced engine power from 65mph to 25mph. Pulled vehicle over and shut down engine. Turned vehicle back on and check engine light remained on and vehicle would not go past 25mph. Had vehicle towed to dealership service department. Codes were P0221, P0121, and P2176. Repairs done at dealership for faulty throttle position sensor. Not covered under warranty. Parts $270.82, labor $322.50, after taxes total was $614.99, prior to this incident it had occured on two other occassions; however the dealership service department was unable to duplicate the problem until this incident occured giving them the codes for the throttle position sensor. After reading post online it appears that my vehicle isn't the only one that has had this issue. Strongly recommend a recall be issued due to safety concerns since reduction of power engine can potentially result in a vehicle getting rear ended /hit from behind due to the sudden loss of power.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Sep 182013

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 70 mph, the traction control, engine speed reduce, and the stabilitrak warning lights illuminated. The vehicle decelerated to 20 mph independently. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road where it was shut off and restarted. The vehicle resumed normal operation, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing and the codes were reset. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 61,500.

- Atkins , AR, USA

Aug 282014

Traverse 6-cyl

Dash lamp backlighting goes dim intermittently. Dealer could not duplicate. No repair performed. Also complained about a one-time incident where, when entering a dark garage from sunlight, headlights did not come on. No action taken.

- Sherman, TX, USA

Oct 082014

While at a stop sign our 2010 Traverse shut off. It powered down everything, it would start up again but would shut down several times again. My son was in the passenger seat and noticed when he pressed down on a certain spot on the passenger side floor the car shut off. We have our car at the Chevrolet place now and they were very skeptical until my son placed his foot on the spot and the car shut down right in front of them. They will be looking at the car Monday 10/13/14 to see what the problem is. This car in no longer under warranty, I would think this is Chevrolet problem with the Traverse. (?)

- Coppell, TX, USA

Jul 012014

Traverse 6-cyl

July 1st 2014: I was backing out of a parking stall at work and heard 3 dings, looked at my dash, saw the traction control off light flash, and then the car powered down. I could not get it to restart and called for a tow. After a few days in the shop I got my car back and all seemed fine. They cleared some "codes". August 23rd 2014: I went grocery shopping - went to start my car and guess what happened again. Same as above, called for a tow. A few days later I got my car back. They cleared some more "codes". August 28th 2014: I had my car home for less than 24 hours and it happened again. As you can probably guess - I got it towed and it is currently being worked on. I'm so happy I'm making car payments on a car that I don't even get to drive. My husband has a 1997 Ford F150 with over 215K miles - it starts everyday. My car has 67K miles. I guess the most irritating thing is that there are tons of complaints about this and nothing is being done in the form of a recall. That is pathetic!! you are losing loyal customers. You are screwing the middle class families that purchase your vehicles. Do you think any of the major shareholders and CEO's are driving Chevy's"?" maybe if there BMW's or Volvo's didn't start...oh wait GM doesn't make those, so they probably work just fine. This is a huge safety issue. Someone is going to die from this...someone with a conscience at GM do something!!!!!!

- Hartland, WI, USA

May 212014

Traverse 6-cyl

My car engine continues to run while the key is out of the ignition. This has happened several times, I have to put the key in and try turning the ignition off several times before the engine will actually shut down, after each incident this drains my battery and then my car requires to be jumped it also has takes several attempts to get the car running again and sometimes after this happens it puts my car in "limp" mode meaning the car will not shift out of second gear while driving it. I took the car back to the Chevy dealer (bob steele in cocoa fl) explained to them the issues and told them I have googled the issues as well and that lots of people are having the same problem with the engine still running while the key is in their hand and Chevy stated they never heard of this before. The dealer called and stated that it would cost me $200 to replace my ignition in my car which I did and that would fix the engine running issue and would fix the "limp" mode issue. The repair lasted a week and then I stopped to get gas and the car would not shut off again after several attempts of turning the key to the off position it finally shut down, after getting gas it took several attempts for the car to turn back on ( at this time it did not go into "limp" mode) I took the car directly back to the dealer who has had the car for four days now. I just recieved a call from the Chevy dealer stating it would now cost me $1200 to repair the fuse box and wiring that has some how become wet in my glove compartment.. again I stated that I am not the only person having this problem and that other people have also been told that they have water in their fuse box (which I assume should of been sealed properly to prevent this from happening)so I am now driving a car that refuses to shut off or can put itself into "limp" mode affecting the driving ability of the car.

- Titusville, FL, USA

Apr 072014

Traverse 6-cyl

Air bag warning light for passenger air bag came on. We received a recall notice about this issue and took the vehicle in to the dealer. They completed the required repair for under the recall but that did not correct the problem. Dealer advised of additional fees to diagnose the issue. We contacted GM and received authorization for the dealer to conduct a diagnosis of the problem. The result concluded the "SDM" had failed. The dealer could not tell us if the recalled connector could have caused the failure. We were required top pay $300 to fix this safety issue that we feel should have been covered under the recall. Essentially, to make the vehicle safe to operate and correct a problem identified by recall it cost us $300.

- Milton, WA, USA

May 252014

When I shut the vehicle off, radio stays on. I keep opening and shutting the door with no success. Have to start it and turn it off to eventually get it to turn off. Back up alarm sometimes keeps beeping, even after I take it out of reverse. Have to turn vehicle off than back on to stop it.

- North Tonawanda , NY, USA

Jan 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

Radio stays on after car has been turned off, keys taken out of ignition, and driver door has been opened. Sometimes have to slam drivers door a few times before it will shut everything off, have tried turning on then back off but that does not help either..

- Vincennes, IN, USA

Aug 212012

My 2010 Traverse power steering went completely out. Still not working. My truck tends to roll some after being in park on the brakes. My windows power doesn't work thru driver door. My ac stop blowing thru front vents. My seatbelts doesnt work properly. My second row pops up and glide while sitting in the seat. This truck has many problems.

- De Kalb, MS, USA

Jul 122013

Our 2010 Chevy Traverse ltz is currently in the shop reference heater/defroster not working and engine light coming on. The vehicle has been in the shop several times this year for ac problems, fluid leaks and numerous sensors failing. The steering problem was discussed with repair facility on several occasions. The problem according to them could not be duplicated. We had to ask the dealership personal to physically set in the vehicle and attempt to turn the steering wheel. A new power steering pump and return hose was replaced total cost $658.93. At present this has solved the problem. Approximate total cost this year for repairs $3100. At this point we have no confidence in general motor products of anykind. We have all documentation for these claims.

- Bentley, LA, USA

May 152012

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the temperature adjustment was distracting because instead of there being turning knobs to adjust the temperature, there were digital buttons instead. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000.

- West Groove, PA, USA