2010 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems: power steering stopped working

Power Steering Stopped Working

2010 Chevrolet Traverse

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

8.7

$1,500.00

2. replace power steering pump (2 reports)
  3. GM buyback (1 reports)
  4. replaced pump and rack (1 reports)
2010 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments

Sep 052014

Traverse

I bought the Chevy Traverse the first of September and didn't have a problem till a week or so later. low speeds the power steering would quit working. took to dealer and they said they knew of problem but no recalls. as he pulled up my warranty info it showed special coverage and I inquired on whats that He said normally recall work but would check when he checked it showed as of September 16 2014 that there was a problem with power steering assist and that it was covered for replacement of pump but mechanic had to see it happen. Had to argue a few minutes since it didn't happen when they drove it. finally got to manager and showed them where in there paperwork it said INTERMITTENT power assist failures. Which means not all the time so wasn't right that it had to happen for them when GM admitted wasn't a problem all the time.

- , Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Mar 012014

Traverse LS 3.6L

If you see moms walking around with really buff arms they probably drive a Traverse. It is seriously almost impossible to turn the steering wheel (either way) about 90% percent of the time if you are going under 10 mph. The scariest instance (was when this problem was new to me) and I pulled out into a turn lane on a five lane highway not knowing I wouldn't be able to straighten up in the middle lane, hence leaving the nose of the car out in traffic. Luckily the other drivers were paying attention and stopped, of course thinking I was just an idiot driver.

A typical day looks like this: picture trying to get out of a parking place when you can't turn your tires but 1/4 of an inch, it only took me EIGHT times pulling forward and back to inch out of the Take Away at Ocharley's last night. Another fun situation is waving everyone coming the opposite direction at a stop sign to go ahead because you need their lane clear since you can't make sharp turns. The problem progressively gets worse by the way, so if it seems like your steering is a little tight, just wait.

Oh, and remember I said 90% of the time, the 10% of the time it apparently does work is when you take it to a dealership to have them check it out.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!! (there have been several other somewhat minor issues but this is ridiculous)

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Mar 132013

Traverse LS V6

I have had the Traverse for 18 months and have replaced 2 water pumps, computer, 4 fuses, 8 sensors and air condition. After two new water pumps it still throws up antifreeze. Now it needs new Steering Head, Rack Pension and tire sensors, have already spent $6,000 on repairs and it need about $6,000 in repairs now.

The 2010 Traverse is a piece of junk I have called GM 5 times, same run around, filed report with BBB .

The car is in the driveway more than I drive it because I can't steer it and I have run up on curbs and sidewalks. Just hoping not to kill myself and 4 kids or someone else . SHAME ON YOU GM

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 102014

Traverse LT 3.6L V6

Took the car to the dealer because I have intermittent Power Steering problems. They said it is operation fine at the time. But they did not take it for a real drive. Only 1 mile of driving was recorded. on the way home I was turning to my street and the Power steering gave out again. I almost hit my street sign. These Power steering issues need to be dealt with. The dealership seems to be ignoring the issue.

- , North Port, FL, USA

Jun 012014

Traverse LT 3.6L V6

Power Steering issue, goes out for few seconds, and sometimes works great.

Usually very hard to back into parking lot or drive way, stops working when making a left and right, or right and left quick turn. Has put me very close to accidents on multiple occasions. I have sucked up the fluid from the reservoir about 6 times and replaced it with clean fluid. it did improve a little bit. But the steering is still not reliable.

I do not hear any noise, it just get hard like it does not work. I have owned cars where power steering fluid leaked out and could hear the vibration, but on this Traverse it is just gone.

- , North Port, FL, USA

Feb 062013

Traverse LT 2 3.6L

While steering the car it suddenly became very difficult to steer.

Took it to local dealer in Manassas , VA .

They stated the power steering pump needed to be replaced.

Cost me about $150 for about an $800 repair.

Not bad, but still there should not be these type of problems with an auto before at least 150K miles as I always maintain my vehicles.

- , Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Apr 182014

Traverse LS

Traded the POS in at a loss on the recommendation of service mgr and mechanic at GM dealer and my independent mechanic.

- , bryan, TX, USA

Aug 122013

Traverse LS 3.2L V6

My power steering would go out when I would slow down and make turns. Just heard back from the mechanic and it's a $1500 fix. Last month, put $380 in a transmission fluid leak. This car shouldn't be having these types of issues with only 60K miles. Of course, nothing covered under warranty.

- , Hilliard, OH, USA

Mar 042013

Traverse

It is hard to make turns-park and sounds as though GM should look into and fix these cars

- , Fairview, West Virginia, USA

May 132013

Traverse LT 3.8L V6

The problem started with a whining noise every time you turned the wheel. I had complained about this problem for over 2 years with several Chevy dealers and finally got it resolved I thought in late 2012. It turns out the dealer claimed I had a leak in my power steering hoses even though Chevy has a service bulletin for this issue stating that the entire system should be replaced if the customer complains about it. Now for the past 2 months I have been fighting my car to turn. Every time I try to turn either right or left I am fighting my steering wheel to make the turn. I feel like you need to be the incredible hulk to make it move. My power steering fluid is full and clean so I do not know what is causing this. All I can say is I will NEVER buy Chevy again!!

- , O Fallon, MO, USA

Mar 012013

Traverse LS 3.2L V6

Vehicle started losing power steering function while trying to make left and right turns. This became scary when taking daughter to school one morning and went to make a right turn and had to force the steering, had I not used force I would have ended up into oncoming traffic. Vehicle is in shop now to try to fix problem, been without vehicle for five days now and not sure of the solution but have been told there are no recalls. Per research on web, have found there are several complaints on the same issue, something should be done by the manufacturing.

- , Bladenboro, NC, USA