CarComplaints.com Notes: There are serious power steering concerns for the Traverse. Data shows that owners are having a difficult time with their power steering quitting, particularly at low speeds.

2010 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 2 of 14)

Mar 152016

Traverse

We have owned this vehicle for 2 years and it has been in the dealership for steering related issues 4 times. At low speeds the power steering stops working, making it hard to make the slightest turn. More than once we have almost been hit by oncoming traffic at the end of our driveway because we couldn't turn sharp enough. At first the dealership said it was part of a recall, but after fixing it 3 times they decided the problem wasn't part of the recall and charged us $1400. One week later and the car was doing the same thing. We are taking the vehicle in again. I have filed an official complaint with Chevy, we'll see if that does any good.

- Toledo, WA, USA

Jan 052016

Traverse

2010 Chevrolet Traverse transmission problem while driving the the vehicle its not changing gears at times and it slips. At times when it does not slips, it starts to make a loud muffler sound while driving and my foot is on the gas and its like forcing the vehicle to move. In order to stop the sound and slip, I sometime have to place car on park and then put on drive to re adjust. Sometimes it works and sometime it does not. Took the car to my local mechanic who diagnosed the vehicle and state that there were alot of codes for the transmission which is unusual for a transmission that new(for a 2010). I then contacted a Chevy dealer who state that there is no complaint regarding transmission. I believe this vehicle is unsafe to drive. Please help as I have two young children that is on the vehicle with me on a daily basis. This issue sometimes happen and some time it does not. The steering wheel of the vehicle also makes a sound when turning. The ac blows, but the from vent only blow air from the bottom and not through the vents. I don't know if this is part of the issue or a different issue.

- Florida, FL, USA

Jan 042016

Traverse

At slow speeds it becomes hard to steer, and it is very dangerous.

- Lincolnton, NC, USA

Dec 292015

Traverse

I took the vehicle into the GM dealership for an unrelated problem and the technician "discovered" a faulty/leaking steering gear box....totally replaced at a cost of $1386. Now, following online research, I realize that this is a very common problem and GM would appear to be circumventing reporting and a recall by having individuals "pay for the fix".....I want to document this complaint and my personal encumberance of the repair costs....the discussion online points to a common and dangerous problem that we had not "yet" experienced, but according to the technician, may have had a dangerous encounter at any time!

- Loong Beach, MS, USA

Dec 132015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the power steering rack and the power steering pump failed and needed to be replaced. The details were not available. In addition, the check engine warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of failure. The failure mileage was 75,827.

- Ruskin, FL, USA

Nov 152013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver as the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering system and the engine coils failed and needed to be replaced. The power steering system was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000. The VIN was not available.

- Waxahachie, TX, USA

Jul 162015

Traverse

When attempting to steer/turn at low level of speeds usually less than 5mph the steering is very stiff and requires a lot of effort to turn the vehicle. I also recently felt my steering lock up while merging onto the freeway going at a rate of 50-60 mph.

- Sahuarita, AZ, USA

Jun 012012

Traverse

Started with a whining noise at low speed approx 3 years ago and then slowley started tightening at low speed then ultimatly giving out completely. The tightening was a frightening thing as you never knew when it was going to do it and you had to be prepared for it to other wise you would have hit another car or person.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 142014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving at various speeds, there was a noise coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,664.

- Glen Allen , VA, USA

Jun 182015

Traverse

When making left or right turns the steering wheel will stiffen making completing turns very difficult. A couple of times I had to make complete stops to avoid hitting vehicles or going into a ditch. I also noticed the steering stiffening while making slight turns while driving at normal highway speed. This is seriously putting my family in danger.

- Van Meter, IA, USA

Jun 012015

Traverse

The vehicle experiences loss of power steering at low speeds. Chevrolet issued a special warranty for the power steering pump, however when taken to the dealer, the vehicle also had a cracked steering rack. A quick internet search showed that hundreds of other drivers are experiencing the same problem. Chevrolet is only offering to fix one component of a faulty steering system, leaving drivers to foot the bill for the other faulty parts.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Aug 192014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at 20 mph, the power steering seized and become difficult to maneuver when making a right or left turned. The failure recurred each time the vehicle was driven. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 102,000.

- Glendal Hights, IL, USA

Jul 232015

Traverse

The vehicle had been making a high pitched squeaking noise for about a week but only when I slowed to a stop and began to speed up. Today as I slowed to make a turn the power steering went out. Because I was about thirty miles from home I had no choice but to drive it home. When I was on main roads going about 55mph, the problem seemed to be going away, but each time I slowed to make a turn, the vehicle's power steering would go out. I went online and found that this was a common complaint for Chevy Traverse owners and that they all seem to be occurring around 70,000 miles. With all the controversy over the millions of GM vehicles recalled for power steering problems resulting in accidents I am very upset that these vehicles were not among them.

- Marlette, MI, USA

Jul 212015

Traverse

I was pulling into a parking place when the car just would not turn. The power steering went completely out. I almost hit the car already parked and the gentleman getting out of the passenger side of the car. I profusely apologized and backed the car out of the general area. I then moved to the back of the parking lot to try to figure out what had happened. When the car operated at normal speed, there was no issue with the steering. When the car operated at the speed of approximately 5 mph, the power steering went completely out. When I looked on the internet, I saw the many people who were experiencing the same hazard. I am extremely happy that my wife was not driving our four children in the car. At the time, I was driving with three of the children and I was extremely shaken by the entire situation. I am hoping that someone can explain why a defect such as this was not recalled or, at the least, placed on a public knowledge bank. It is a very dangerous issue that should be public knowledge. I seriously think the public should have knowledge of this coming from the actual dealership with, at the least, a phone call or letter informing of the hazard....updated 09/22/15

- Lexington, SC, USA

Jun 012015

Traverse

I brought my 2010 Chevy Traverse in to the dealer for repair work. I previously had received a service bulletin 14329A which was for a defective power steering pump. During the course of the service, the dealer let me know that due to the power steering pump being defective, the steering rack pump was also needing repair. GM took care of the power steering pump but not the rack pump as the rack pump did not have a formal service bulletin out yet. It is disappointing to me that this would not be taken care of by GM as the power steering pump being defective caused the rack pump to also be. I would like to see a service bulletin come out on the steering rack pump as many, many others are in the same situation as myself.

- Wyoming, MI, USA

Sep 102014

Traverse

In September of last year our 2010 Chevy Traverse started getting hard to turn left or right and I have researched the problem and I can not afford $1200 dollars to fix the problem which seems like it is the power steering pump. At this point we have no power steering about 90 % of the time. It is getting dangerous at this point and I don't know what we will do this winter if we start to slide we would be unable to steer fast enough to keep from wrecking. We need this car. Other than the steering, I love this car.

- Prosser, WA, USA

Jun 252015

Traverse

While turning the power steering feels very heavy and difficult to turn and makes a noise

- Redmond, WA, USA

Jun 172015

Traverse

Chevy recalled two parts in the Traverse line, a power steering pump and another part related to the steering. Recall number 14329. When these parts fail they can cause the rack and pinion to also fail. I have mentioned this to numerous technicians and they all back this claim up. Our power steering completely failed and Chevy replaced the parts but this failure caused the rack and pinion to fail which Chevy is taking no responsibility to replace.

- Bardonia, NY, USA

Jul 012014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 15 mph and attempting to make a left turn, the steering wheel became difficult to turn without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions while making left or right turns. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Powhatan, VA, USA

Dec 012014

Traverse 6-cyl

The initial problem started in Dec. 2014 while turning at low speeds while parking especially when it was very cold out. The power steering seems to go out and it is really hard to turn. This happened every once in a while. I took it to a Chevy dealer because I received a tsb in the mail. The Chevy dealer said that the problem was not covered under the bulletin because my steering gear is leaking which is not part of the tsb. My power steering fluid is still full. Cost to repair would be $1701.09. My vehicle is exhibiting the same problems as two tsb but the dealer still says it is not covered. Now in April 2015 the problem is happening all the time even while driving and turning at normal speeds. This is a huge safety issue and should be addressed by Chevy. I don't understand how a known safety issue is not covered!

- Middletown, PA, USA