CarComplaints.com Notes: There are serious power steering concerns for the Traverse. Data shows that owners are having a difficult time with their power steering quitting, particularly at low speeds.

2.2

2010 Chevrolet Traverse suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments

Feb 082016

Traverse

While driving our vehicle some sensors starting to go off and we started losing power to the vehicle which in turn caused a huge and very dangerous situation. The Traverse we were driving showed a traction control, service stabilitrak signal. It began to lose power and slow down. If we were in the middle of the highway we would have wrecked, luckily we were not. I have noticed that this has been an issue on many other Traverse's as well as many other vehicles within the Chevrolet lineup, yet there is still no recall. I am not sure what needs to be done or if someone really needs to hurt before a recall is made, but someone need to make the right call before anyone gets hurt with this issue. I have contacted Chevrolet and they said it is a know issue but there is no recall for it, what needs to be done to make this recall happen, does someone need to seriously get hurt" it also appears that there are no fixes for this issue and it is just costing owners, more and more money to get repairs they don't really need. Where do I go from here"

- New Hudson, MI, USA

Jul 152014

Traverse 4WD 6-cyl

July 2014 my Traverse had around 67,000 miles on it, and it had started overheating. We took it to a Chevrolet dealership and had the issue taken care of. We had also asked them to address the recalls that we had received notice on.one issue was fixed, and on the invoice they had made note that they would contact us when the other recall parts were in. For 2 months, no phone call from them.we had received no call that the parts were in.then the end of September while driving back from the coast, I heard a noise that sounded like a cap being clicked by a teen. Blamed my niece, but after reading the legal documents on the lawsuit, it had to have been the same thing. The next issue that would be what I consider the last straw with this vehicle.in the next day or so, it became hard to turn at low speeds.we checked steering fluid, and it was low but no where near empty.we added additional fluid and thought that was the fix.the steering issue continued to worsen.driving into work I needed to turn off the main hwy onto a St., during the morning rush hour.I was barely able to make the turn. It took all I could do to turn. Was very scary, and I was thankful that our children were not in the car.when I arrived to work, I was unable to pull into the parking lot of the office. I ended up having to park on the St due to being unable to effectively turn.we took the Traverse to a different Chevrolet dealership to find out that the pump, rack and pinion, strut and cv boot were failing. Found this to be very odd, most often a cv boot wears out on a vehicle with higher miles than the 70,000miles.cost to repair is at $2500, due to Chevrolet for the neglect. Now we are looking for a different vehicle and they only want to offer 14,000 trade in?a $40,000 vehicle worth near 1/4 of what we have paid for it in only 4 years.it is now worth nothing, but I'm upside down on an loan!

- Terrebonne , OR, USA

Jun 202014

Traverse 6-cyl

Our Traverse has a groaning noise coming from the steering column at slow speeds. I had the dealership diagnose the problem. They came back telling me it needed a new steering rack because it will get worse and possibly I will loose my power steering entirely without warning. In doing some research and visiting with repair shops it is evident that this is a recurring issue and needs to be resolved by GM with a safety recall. GM has since redesigned the defect for newer model cars. I can only hope this gets resolved soon before there is serious injury.

- Detroit Lakes, MN, USA

Dec 252013

Traverse 6-cyl

The power steering pump failed. There has been repeated grinding and steering issues over the ensuing 4,000 miles (6 mo) since the replacement. It seems that many other owners are experiencing this at 40 - 60K miles, past the lifetime of the warranty (3 yr / 36,000 miles).

- Blauvelt, NY, USA

Apr 172014

Traverse 6-cyl

I purchased my GM vehicle from a dealership in South burlington, Vermont, in September 2010. I have driven it for just three and a half years with just 55,000 miles on it, and now after a routine service visit (lube oil and filter, transmission fluid, air filter, and winter tire change) I am now being told that the steering rack and front struts are leaking and will cost $2,262 to repair. Absurd. I was told that it's a safety issue and must be done because my car will now not pass inspection. I have never had to spend that much money on a car repair, much less a car that is relatively new with so few miles on it. In addition, on a side note, my check engine light is now on after the dealership completed the air bag recall on the vehicle. Because my husband and I were so shocked at the steering rack and strut quote, I decided to do some research and have now discovered it's a very common problem in these vehicles, and there is a class action lawsuit out of California. General Motors has allegedly been aware of this problem for several years and continues to sell the vehicle. I have four children in my car, and although the service technician told me that my car is safe to drive until I need it inspected in August, after all I have researched, I am afraid my steering will give out on the highway. I truly hope that something will be done to address this apparently widespread safety defect in these cars.

- Shelburne, VT, USA

Feb 012013

Traverse

Car began to emit a groan noise while turning and only got worse from there. Today leaking P/S fluid a plenty. Dealership relates need for new power steering pump and steering rack along with an alignment. Total estimated cost: $1625.

- Brentwood, TN, USA