CarComplaints.com Notes: There are a fair-number of power steering related complaints which is a continuation of problems from the previous model year. Considering the problem tends to happen beyond the standard warranty (73k+) it's best to avoid this vehicle or at least be prepared for the $1,300+ repair.

2011 Chevrolet Traverse electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse:

2011 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 142016

Traverse

When raining water enters into ac/heating blower access panel and accumulates there ultimately causing the blower motor to fail. Also when making a left turn water runs out from panel onto passenger side floor. Had to have blower motor removed and replaced with new one. A recall for this problem is needed as it is a common problem with these vehicles.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Nov 032016

Traverse

Takata recall I have a 2011 Chevy Traverse ltz with just under 75K miles. I had the throttle body replaced in October 2014 before there was a recall. Today, I got out of class, picked up my children from school and went to the grocery store. This is a 2 mile trip round-trip. I was driving past the kids school straight ahead on city streets doing about 15 mph, just a few blocks from our house, the warning lights began to beep and the dic had several messages. "engine hot A/C off" "engine power is reduced" and "engine overheated idle engine". it became very difficult to handle the truck. The high in Chicago today was 60 degrees and I only made the one trip mentioned above. I plan on taking it to the dealer tomorrow but I want to know if this is a problem people are having.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 022015

Traverse

While driving errors pop up for stabiltrak/traction control/engine power reduced then you get about then you lose about 20% to 60% of power. It can happen anywhere at anytime while driving.

- Blossburg, PA, USA

Jan 012016

Traverse

I turn off removed the key. The car on(running) no stop, the dealer only for test and diagnose, $800 I can believe.. only 48000 miles the second owner.. 2011 Chevy Traverse please no, buy any Chevy

- Whittier, CA, USA

Dec 242015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle shifted out of gear and began to lose power. The engine stalled with out warning. The vehicle failed to restart. The failure occurred twice. The contact also mentioned that the key was stuck in the ignition. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Lucedale, MS, USA

Dec 182015

Traverse

Driving down the interstate at 70 mph, the dic display error reads stabilitrak needs servicing, traction control off, and reduced engine power. It slowed me down from 70 mph to 25 mph in less than 20 seconds. I had to get over 3 lanes of heavy traffic onto the shoulder. This vehicle almost caused a major accident. I know there have been many complaints with GM vehicles regarding this issue. Just how many people have to die before a recall is issued?

- San Marcos, TX, USA

Dec 132013

Traverse

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The vehicle was to be taken to the dealer for inspection and diagnostic testing. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V266000 (seat belts) and 14V118000 (air bags), but the contact was not notified of the two recall repairs. The manufacturer was to be notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 312015

Traverse

Just like other complaints I have read on this car year and model, the air conditioner on the front seat passenger side blew hot air out when air was on, then it blew hot air out both before it broke completely. I agree with other customers, that this should not happen in a 4 year old car. They want 1500 to fix. Also, the two pumps went out that pump out the washer fluid, they said it was an electrical issue, this is a four year old vehicle, it should not be having so many electrical issues happening. They want another $500 to fix it. Both this are hudge concerns given it is a 4 year old car and there are many similar complaints. It is definitely a safety concern.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Sep 012011

Traverse

My car never cooled well. There would be bursts of cool air and then warmer. It was never as cold as other cars I rode in. We began noticing a strange noise on acceleration. I took it in a couple times and they had a mechanic just come listen, but never had a reason to send it in for servicing. I took it in to the dealership in formally on 6-25-13 to the dealership in Missouri who fixed the car after it was hit by a distracted driver and curtain airbags failed! nothing was found, although the bodyshop man wrote up the work order wrong as a surging. It was a strange surging clicking on acceleration, but sounded like it was under the dash. We then would notice the air would warm significantly for a few minutes. I also took it into hamilton where I bought the vehicle, they found nothing. Now, 4 years old the air-conditioned has continued to make the sound, bt much louder and more like a compressor, and when breaking and accelerating. Now, they find the issue isa computer module. 4 year old cars should not have an air-conditioner go out!

- Tucumcari, NM, USA

May 102015

Traverse

While driving home from my mother's house, my 2011 Chevy Traverse suddenly, and without warning lost power. The warning "engine power reduced" came up. This made my car go from 45mph to 25 mph at an extremely alarming rate while on a busy highway. This is not the first instance of this happening with this particular year model. I have read many forums today, all filled with people having the same problem. Apparently GM is doing nothing to correct the problem. It seems they are waiting for multiple injuries or god forbid deaths before they react. I just bought this car 2 months ago, and have put a little over 10,000 miles on it. Have had the oil changed, and yet, just from reading some of the other complaints listed on the forums I have read I feel like I may be at a loss on this vehicle. I emplor you to do something about this. Too many hard working people have spent too much money on these vehicles to allow GM to get away with this. I feel I may be stuck making payments for a car that can't be driven. Sincerely, sean simmons

- Ruston, LA, USA

Apr 282015

Traverse 6-cyl

All of a sudden or vehicle is only blowing hot air into the passenger seat. It was found that it was the "blend door actuator". this is a $1200 dollar repair. After searching the internet I found that this a very common issue with this model. It is ridiculous that GM has done nothing.

- Rigby, ID, USA

Feb 202015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the alarm activated independently. In addition, the service traction and the power reduced warning lights illuminated. The failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Jan 152015

Traverse

Twice within the last month, my daughter and then my son-in-law were driving their 2011 Traverse on the freeway, when suddenly its speed uncontrollably dropped from 70 to 30 miles per hour. My granddaughters, both less than 2 years old were in the car. My daughter panicked and barely escaped being hit by another vehicle when she attempted to exit the freeway. After my son-in-law experienced the problem a second time, the dealership agreed that there was cause for concern and eventually determined that an electrical malfunction in the throttle body was the cause of the problem. As a result of speaking to others about the incidents, my daughter and her husband became aware of the fact that others have experienced the same problem.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Jan 012015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. While the vehicle was parked, the ignition switch was turned to the off position and the engine continued to run. In addition, the engine was making an abnormal noise and discovered that the battery fractured. The contact also stated that the engine warning light illuminated. The contact replaced the battery. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that there was a leak behind the glove department that leaked onto the fuse, which caused a wire shortage. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 062014

Traverse 6-cyl

The first time this happened, I was driving a hilly back road from school the service stabilitrac and traction control warning lights came on then the engine power is being reduced warning light came on and the car immediately slowed to a crawl with very little steering control. I was able to drive it on the shoulder to my mechanic at no more than 20 mph and he said that 4 of the 6 coils needed to be replaced. A $700 repair. Second time it happened (12/3/14) I was driving on I-95 doing 65 and all the same lights came on again but this time the car instantly reduced the speed and I was crawling at 10mph. I had several near misses with other cars as we were all traveling at the posted speed in rush hour traffic. I struggled to get the car to the shoulder. I stopped the car and restarted and everything reset and I was able to drive for about a mile or two and it recurred. I happened 8 times before I was able to get it to the Chevy dealer. The dealer took 3 days to try and diagnose it and said it was probably the throttle control. They replaced it $493! and told me they did not know if it would fix the problem - it may last 1,000 miles or 20,000 miles. If it happens again I will have to bring it back and they would have to take apart the engine which would cost me $5000!!! this car is unsafe! I/my family could be injured or killed if it happens again! recall it! codes shown in diagnostic were P0300, P0305, P0221, P0121.

- Rising Sun, MD, USA

Dec 302014

Traverse

Use remote starter. After a few minutes of warming up unlocked and entered vehicle. Once key turned to on doors started to lock and unlock. Put car in reverse barely moved. Tried drive and would not move? check engine light, stability track lights are on. Not good when you need to get to work.

- Weymouth, MA, USA

Dec 232014

Traverse 6-cyl

2011 Chevy Traverse is having fuel gauge issues. GM has a recall out on 2014 models, however my 2011 is experiencing the exact same problem but no recall for that year. Per GM this can result in the vehicle unexpectedly running out of fuel and stalling, increasing the risk of a crash.

- Council Bluffs, IA, USA

Oct 052014

Traverse 6-cyl

While backing up at a very low speed the vehicle steering wheel locked up, I then realized the engine had shut off. I noted the key was still in the on position and the back up camera was still on. Restarted vehicle and no further problems were noticed. When attempting to duplicate this issue the only time I could get the steering wheel to lock up was if the key was removed from the ignition. Also back up camera would only stay on if the car was running and in reverse so it is unclear why the steering wheel locked up with the key in the on position. This could be a serious safety issue if it happened under different circumstances.

- Marlborough, CT, USA

May 122012

Traverse 6-cyl

Serpentine belt shredded, water pump, battery and power steering failed twice, once in 2012 and once in 2013. Serpentine belt replaced again in 2013 because it was damaged by a stone. Currently have lawsuit against GM to replace the car for safety reasons. They are dragging their feet. Lawsuit going on over a year.

- Port Clinton, OH, USA

Jul 252014

Traverse 6-cyl

On Friday, July 25, 2014, my 2011 Chevy Traverse stalled/shutdown while driving. I pulled out of a local gas station and immediately noticed that there was a noise coming from the engine. Almost simultaneously the car began to stall/shutdown. I pulled over to the shoulder (fortunately there was one). I turned the ac unit and radio off. I started the car without any noise. I drove approximately 1 mile, turned the ac back on and the car stalled/shutdown once again, this time as the car was going approximately 35 mph. To say the least, I was extremely distraught as the car lost power and steering. Fortunately, (for my family and Chevy), there were no children in the car and there was no accident. The service manager told me that the problem was related to the ac unit and wants to charge me almost $2,000 to fix! the ac unit was "fixed" back in June 2013 while car was under warranty. It is no longer covered by warranty. My issue is that the car stalled/shut down. A car shutting down at any speed is a clear and present danger. Traveling at 35 mph creates an even more dangerous situation. If the ac unit can stall a vehicle then this has to be an inherent design/production issue. There is no acceptable way that an ac unit can fail and thus cause the vehicle to shut down putting people's lives in danger. Hopefully, my incident report will prevent any future problems like this from occurring, and most importantly, protect people's lives.

- Katonah, NY, USA