CarComplaints.com Notes: There are a fair-number of power steering related complaints which is a continuation of problems from the previous model year. Considering the problem tends to happen beyond the standard warranty (73k+) it's best to avoid this vehicle or at least be prepared for the $1,300+ repair.

2011 Chevrolet Traverse engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse:

2011 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Jul 012014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. While at a stop light, the vehicle was shifted to the drive position and rolled away approximately 10 to 50 feet. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the valve needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred and the engine stalled. The vehicle was restarted, but the failure recurred numerous times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 24,000.

- Bakersville, CA, USA

Aug 262015

Traverse

My wife and children were driving our 2011 Traverse, when the traction control started to turn off and on, check engine light went on, displays started to roll through a number of warnings, and engine power was reduced and the car slowed to roughly 25 mph. This all occurred in the middle of traffic. The concern is that the sporadic lose of engine power dropping a car from 60 mph to 25 mph will cause an accident.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Aug 012015

Traverse

I was driving on the 95 and suddenly my car was flashing reduced engine power and the check engine light popped on. Our speed dropped all the way down to 20 from 65. I have seven children who driving in the car with me and were horrified at all the traffic around us while we tried to coast to the side. Thank god no one hit us! the check engine light is still on and we have replaced the trottle body, fuel pump, and a few other thing that popped up on the diagnostic testing for the check engine light. 16 codes popped up all at the same time. Way too expensive to fix everything and pay payments or the car still. Please help.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Jun 292015

Traverse

The car just completely stopped. No warning no lights no oil light no service engine. Just quit going down the road at 60mph with my children in the car. Now I am being told it is the motor. I have serviced the car I should have and treated it very well. There is not one reason a 2011 should just quit. I also had a issues with traction control in the dead of winter the car would flash traction control off engine will lose speed service stablitrack and the car would drop from 65mph right to 25mph in 5 seconds flat which was extremely dangerous any time of year not just winter. Get those 2011 Chevrolet Traverses off the road.

- Fair Haven , VT, USA

Jun 102013

Traverse

Engine power was suddenly reduced while driving with the messages: "traction control off", "service traction control", "service stabilitrack", "engine power is reduced". dealer found code P2135 was generated (faulty throttle position sensor). Throttle body unit was replaced. The same problem occurred 2 years later on 6/12/2015. Again the throttle body needed to be replace. Based on my experience the throttle body unit design is systemically bad and has caused two safety related incidents.

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

May 102015

Traverse

While driving home from my mother's house, my 2011 Chevy Traverse suddenly, and without warning lost power. The warning "engine power reduced" came up. This made my car go from 45mph to 25 mph at an extremely alarming rate while on a busy highway. This is not the first instance of this happening with this particular year model. I have read many forums today, all filled with people having the same problem. Apparently GM is doing nothing to correct the problem. It seems they are waiting for multiple injuries or god forbid deaths before they react. I just bought this car 2 months ago, and have put a little over 10,000 miles on it. Have had the oil changed, and yet, just from reading some of the other complaints listed on the forums I have read I feel like I may be at a loss on this vehicle. I emplor you to do something about this. Too many hard working people have spent too much money on these vehicles to allow GM to get away with this. I feel I may be stuck making payments for a car that can't be driven. Sincerely, sean simmons

- Ruston, LA, USA

Apr 262015

Traverse 6-cyl

While driving down the highway at speeds of 60 mph, my car started losing power and slowing down in the middle of the highway! I have googled this problem and other consumers have this issue as well. I was advised that this may be a problem with the engine. This could have killed me and my children!

- Pompano Beach , FL, USA

Sep 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 60 mph, the service stabilitrac, traction control off, and engine power reduced messages suddenly displayed and the vehicle decelerated to approximately 20 mph. The failure recurred on multiple occasions and the vehicle was taken to the dealer several times. The contact indicated that the dealer replaced a computer and throttle body, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000....updated 06/09/15 the consumer also stated fluids were leaking from the vehicle. Updated 06/25/15

- Ledyard, CT, USA

Mar 032015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving at various speeds, the electronic stability traction control and check engine warning indicators were illuminated. The vehicle accelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Dec 312014

Traverse 6-cyl

I was on my way the Chevy dealer to have the safety belt and airbag recall repairs completed on my 2011 Traverse. I had four children ages 12 and under in the car with me. After coming to a complete stop at an intersection I made a left hand turn into the inside traffic lane on a busy 5 lane road and began accelerate to the speed of traffic. As soon as I reached 40 mph, my speed quickly dropped to between 15 and 20 mph and the following warning messages showed up on my dash: Reduced engine power, service stabilitrac and service traction control. Fortunately, I was able to merge back over to the right lane and then completely pull off the road into a parking lot without getting rear-ended by the cars behind me that were traveling at the speed limit. I turned the car off, then back on, and attempted to drive. The maximum rate of speed my car would reach was 20 mph, but I managed to drive it to the dealer taking back roads and subdivision roads. The dealer diagnosed the problem as a faulty throttle body. I did some research and discovered this is a well-known issue with these GM vehicles and a serious safety risk. After two days in the shop they completed the two recall related repairs without charge, but my cost to replace the throttle body and and reset the idle was $513. I told the dealer that I was aware that this is a well-known and well-documented issue so I did not feel that I should be responsible for the repair costs, but they refused to cover any of the cost because no recall has been issued for this problem. I believe this problem should be investigated and GM should issue a recall. I am a frequent highway driver and if I had been merging onto the interstate this incident could have ended in tragedy.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Mar 182015

Traverse 6-cyl

Engine overheated, reduced engine power came on and car shut down. Had to have it towed. Water pump had to be replaced, car is only 4 years old. Doesn't make sense.

- Brownsburg, IN, USA

Feb 152015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while attempting to merge on a highway, the service stabilitrak and the reduced engine power was displayed across the message board. In addition, the contact stated that the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body sensor and the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired by the contact. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 93,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Mar 032015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the vehicle jerked and the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Feb 252015

Traverse

Driving on highway at 60 mph. Reduce power light and stability control light came on. Traverse slowed down to 20 mph. I could not accelerate. I was almost rear ended on the highway. Brought the Traverse to the dealership where they replaced the throttle body. Time for a recall.

- Rosemount , MN, USA

Feb 172015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the vehicle lost power. In addition, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The traction control warning light illuminated and stability track off, service stability track, traction control off, service traction control, engine power is reduced was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 65,057.

- Landenberg, PA, USA

Feb 192015

Traverse

Driving on the highway in nh in traffic when stabilitrac/reduced power/traction control light came on and car slowed down to 15 mph on a busy highway. Barely made it off the next exit as car wouldn't go over 10 mph. Luckily the cars behind me did not slam into me as it was a dangerous situation. A recall is needed is it is a serious safety issue.

- Kingston, MA, USA

Jan 222015

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 40 mph, the stabilitrak light illuminated and the engine lost power. The contact was able to drive the vehicle to the dealer, but it was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred twice. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,046...updated 06-11-15 updated 11/23/2015

- Slatington, PA, USA

Feb 012015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that a spark plug needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was not available.

- Natchitoches, LA, USA

Feb 032015

Traverse 6-cyl

I was driving and the traction indicator light appeared. A warning showing loss of engine power was displayed and the car slowed to about 15 mph. I had to pull over. I turned the Traverse off, and restarted it. I was able to drive home. The next day, the same thing happened. After restarting the car, I was able to get home. From what I've been reading, this is a very common occurrence for this vehicle. It should be recalled and fixed.

- Chesterton, IN, USA

Feb 032015

Traverse

On 2/3/15 driving 60mph on the 1-87 my steering wheel began to vibrate on and off. Then drove about 5 miles further then my stabilitrack and traction control failed with its indication on the dash board then the vehicle skid symbol lit up and the dashboard stated engine loss of power and the vehicle slowing began to decelerate to about 40mph and I had to pull over on the shoulder and had my vehicle towed to Chevy dealer. I was told it was my throttle body. Which I see seems a big problem for a lot of 2011 Traverse owners. The repair will cost me nearly $700 after I replaced a burned out wireharness for $658 just 2 weeks ago!!!!

- Highland Mills, NY, USA