Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2015 model year is the first of the sedan's 2nd generation. Maybe they should have stuck with the 1st generation.

2015 Chrysler 200 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chrysler 200:

2015 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 7 of 10)

Mar 232015

I was at a stop sign with my spouse and I was taking a right hand turn. The car didn't move at all then all of a sudden it lunged forward causing us to jerk back and forth. I still have lower back pain because of this and my spouse neck was hurting for a couple of weeks. Other than that I have several issues that had yet to be resolved. There is a rattling sound coming from the engine compartment. They told me it was a knock and I have tried different brands of gas and it 's still there. The car still lunges forward from a stop even though it has had an update on its system multiple times. When you put the car in park it rolls forward quite a bit. 2 times it jumped out of park and into reverse. I have had an airbag issue 5 times and today it is at the dealership to be repaired again. It is the right side airbag. Connectors were changed and wiring 4 times. Car hesitates a lot especially from a stand still. I have almost gotten into accidents due to the fact that when I was taking a left on a major road from a complete stop the car rolled a little and didn't go. It hesitated jerked hard and went really slow. A grinding noise came from the tranny. Another issue I have is that my car vibrates. I don't have no ac nor radio on and it just vibrates. The tech told me that Chrysler star will not do anything for my vehicle just updates. I'm paying for a car that spends about a week in the shop once a month since April. No one can figure it but they can hear the rattling and feel the sound. I even had one tech told me that I should deal with it that I am not the only one complaining but star isn't going to do anything about it. Yet again it is at the shop today getting an update and the airbag being repaired.

- West Haven, CT, USA

Sep 112014

2015 Chrysler 200 rented from enterprise rac in dallas, tx. 2.4L four-cylinder/9-speed automatic transmission. Vehicle traveling at steady 55-60 mph on a controlled-access toll road. I began accelerating to approx. 65 mph to pass a vehicle ahead, triggering a downshift. I then determined traffic conditions were not favorable to pass, so I reduced pressure on the accelerator pedal to slow down; however, the vehicle continued to accelerate in passing gear for several seconds after I removed my foot from the accelerator pedal before slowing. I was able to duplicate this situation several times at speeds between 55-75 mph, and each time it took the car between 4-7 seconds after removing my foot from the accelerator for the vehicle to stop accelerating and begin to slow.

- Corrales, NM, USA

Jul 022015

Vehicle shut off while driving approx. 40 mph. Vehicle started blinking put car in park, service transmission, service park break. Then, it shut off on its own. All gears locked up and car would not restart. I was a sitting duck in the roadway. This has happened X2, July 2nd, 2015 and August 10th, 2015. Had it towed both times. First time Chrysler dealer stated they replaced tcm. This second time they are stating the car is reading multiple codes and they don't know what to fix.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Jun 092015

When I am driving my whole panel turns off and on, I go to take off and it hesiate a few seconds than goes, it does it at stop lights and while on the highway in traffic, brakes make a real loud noise I leave it park most of the time I am at 6320 mile I bought it in April 17, 2015 I should be over 10,000 mile but I am afraid to drive

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 282015

While on vacation, I was travelling down a highway at 60 mph. Suddenly the accelerator on my recently leased 2015 Chrysler 200 somehow decoupled with the drive train. The D in my dashboard started flashing and the car began coasting. The engine was on, and I had power steering, but no acceleration. Somehow, without any ability to control my car's speed, I got to the shoulder without being hit by one of the many 18 wheelers on the freeway. The car had just over 800 miles on the odometer. Eventually the car was towed to a local dealership. They helped me rent a car and I continued my vacation. They replaced a faulty crank sensor and I returned to pick the car up a week later. But before I'd even driven 30 miles, I experienced the exact same problem again. As the D in the dashboard flashed, the car essentially went into neutral and began coasting down the freeway. I almost caused an accident getting to the side of the road. My heart was racing after this horrific and exasperating experience. Chrysler roadside assistance towed the car to a nearby dealership that couldn't recreate the problem, so the dealership where I bought the car had it returned to them. They kept my car in the shop for a full week, eventually replacing the pmc. I picked up my repaired car, but lo and behold, before I had driven much more than 20 miles, the exact same thing happened for a third time, but this time on a surface road. By this time, I'm out of my mind with fear, indignation and frustration. This is my life. I only have one of them that I know of. I want to extend it as long as possible. The 2015 Chrysler 200 is dangerous and I will never feel comfortable driving it. I'm looking at all the possible ways I can get away from this unsafe and unreliable vehicle.

- Pontiac, MI, USA

Aug 102015

I was traveling on highway 17 and attempting to traverse an overpass at 66mph, when suddenly my check engine light came on and the car began to lurch and decelerate. I put on my hazards and was attempting to apply brakes and navigate to the shoulder when I lost my ability to steer the vehicle and the service transmission alarm began going off. I pressed the brakes until the car came to a complete stop (thankfully was not rear-ended) and turned the car off and back on. Luckily the car restarted, however after traveling less than 500ft the problem occurred again. This time I was able to pull into a parking lot and call my husband. I turned the car off and waited a few minutes before restarting, however the car only stayed on for about 45 seconds before it died and would not restart. I contacted Chrysler roadside assistance after providing my location, the customer service rep asked me the following question point blank "were you driving down the road and your car stalled?" to which I replied that it was curious she asked me that as it was exactly what happened. I asked her if it was a known issue and she said no she was just required to ask the question. The car was towed to the dealership and the following codes were noted: P2302, P2305, P2308, P2311. Intermittent aod and B feed circuits F3 3. the dealership flashed the PCM, inspected, repaired the pdc connector C4 terminal pushouts on pins 15 & 18. But after reading the numerous complaints here, I was not convinced that the issue was resolved. I contacted my friend and sales person who's father owned the dealership, and they assisted us with a vehicle trade as having your car die and lose steering at 66mph is a huge safety issue. I am amazed at the number of complaints on this site which has failed to raise alarm for both Chrysler and NHTSA....I guess someone has to die first due to this issue...

- Elizabeth City, NC, USA

Aug 112015

Transmission issues: When trans down shifts from 8th to 7th gear it speeds up before down shifting to 6th while braking is a scary feeling. Also jumps out of 5th when upshifting while accelerating. Other issues when pulling in to traffic from a yield lane below 35 mph trans slips before upshifting and puts you in on coming traffic and the vehicle just hesitates which could cause someone to rear end me.

- Carrollton, GA, USA

Jun 012015

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While pressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate. The contact shut the vehicle off and restarted the engine which resumed normal operation. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 3,000.

- Thomson, GA, USA

Jul 252015

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle decelerated as the instrument panel illuminated. As a result, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was restarted. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred four times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was repaired under an unknown manufacturers recall but the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed back to the dealer where the technician informed that the engine control module or the ignition control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 2,000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Aug 042015

Had a doctor's appt. Leaving home 2min. Into drive car didn't go over 5mi. Stopped car ran throw gears until I felt it catch, brakes fade sitting at a light, car speeds up going down hill, smell of burning wires 6/28/2015.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jun 262015

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the vehicle stalled as the check engine and the transmission warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was able to restart after several attempts. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the battery needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, however the vehicle began to exhibit the same failure. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V090000 (power train) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 12,000.

- Hobbs, NM, USA

Oct 092014

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving approximately 65 to 70 mph when the vehicle was slowed down to approximately 50 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently without warning. The failure recurred numerous. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The contact stated that the dealer was aware of the issue, but the vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000.

- New Bloomington, OH, USA

Jul 172015

For the second time now car stalls while driving in traffic and quits pulling almost been in two accidents.

- Whitesburg , KY, USA

May 052015

I was made aware of a recall effecting certain VIN#S in the model year 2015 Chrysler 200 line. This recall was for "contaminated, dislodged or broken parking pawl or park rod (NHTSA recall id 15V-090): ". when I search by my VIN# I do not see that mine is included but I can tell you from shortly after purchasing the vehicle until now, on a weekly basis I will pull into a parking spot/driveway and put my car in park and it will continue to roll forward or backward 1-3 feet before it actually stops moving. It seems to me that either the dealership failed to inspect this car properly before we purchased it or that that there are more VIN#S that should be evaluated for the issue. I would be happy to take my car to the dealership so that they can experience what this car does.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jul 152015

The transmisson lunges and delays when shifting.this does not happens all the time but does occur. Once at a stop light, when the light turned green there was no response when I stepped on the gas peddle.after I let up on the peddle and pushed it again there was a response. The delay was long enough to have cars blowing their horns behind me. I fear that the transmission could fail anytime.

- Epworth, IA, USA

Jul 242015

On 7/19/15 I was driving my newly purchased Chrysler 200S with approximately 10300 miles. While approaching a stop light at 10mph, the car lost all power and coasted to a stop with a "service transmission" message flashing on the screen. I was not able to shift the car out of drive, and the gear selection was blinking in drive. I had to shut the car off and was stranded in the middle of a busy road for 15 minutes. I restarted the car and was able to drive it to the dealership. They replaced the tcm module and re-flashed the software. On 7/22/15 I returned to the dealership to pickup my car. While the service technician was pulling the car around, the car's transmission failed and was stuck in reverse this time, unable to shift out of reverse. They reprogrammed the valve body and performed a re-learn. I picked the car up 7/23/15 and was assured everything was fixed. While driving home from work on 7/24/15 on the interstate (75mph), the cars transmission again failed, leaving me with no throttle power on the interstate, nearly causing a collision with a semi truck. The same error messages as the first incident were flashing on the car's screen. I coasted the car to the site of the interstate and shut it off completely. After 15 minutes I restarted the car and drove it to the dealership. I am very concerned this car is going to get myself or someone else seriously injured.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Jun 262015

1st incident: June 26th car dies in driveway. Engine is running no power to wheel. Have it flat bedded to greenwood Chrysler cortland Ohio. They say it was a bad connection in computer. Replace two connectors. Get car back on 6/30/15. July 1st, driving car down road doing 25 to 30 mph, loose all power to drive train coast to side of road. Flat bed it back to dealer. This time the say the are replacing wiring harness is shifter. Get car back on July 11th driving back from dealership loose power to drive train again going over a rail crossing. Thank god was able to coast across and to the side of road. Flat bed it back to dealer notify Chrysler headquarters given a case number. Get car back on July 21st again they said they replaced another wiring harness. Car loses power to drive train again. 17 miles from dealership right before crossing a four lane highway. If I let this car back on the road some is going to get killed in it. Please note this is a fully loaded car with a 9 speed transmission. I think if you investigate this is not the only one having problems.

- Hubbard, OH, USA

Jun 142015

I was merging onto the highway and my dashboard started blinking telling me I had to park the car. Once I parked it I could not get it to start again and had it towed to Chrysler. They said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and reset the PCM to get it to start again.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 022015

200 4-cyl

2015 Chrysler 200. Consumer writes in regards to transmission problems and other mechanical/ technical issues. The consumer experienced transmission failure. The engine light on the dash illuminated. The vehicle shifted roughly, there was a faulty transfer of power, and the vehicle surged forward unexpectedly and the engine refused to turn off. The consumer was informed the transmission software was adjusted and the problem was solved. However, two days later, the engine light illuminated again. The consumer returned to the dealer and the following day, he was informed the vehicle needed a new transmission. The vehicle was returned to the consumer four days later with the replacement transmission. However, the consumer continued to experience similar problems before the replacement. The vehicle shifted roughly and intermittently, while cruising, and when lightly pressing the gas pedal, the vehicle would seemingly hesitate only to engage after a moment of uncertainty.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jun 222015

Car will randomly shift from drive to neutral while driving and become completely unresponsive. Some times it allows you to pull over and put into park then drive, most times the entire car except the radio, become unresponsive and have to pull positive battery terminal to reset car. I've brought the car in for service 3 times now with same issue. Every time is getting more and more dangerous as problem is not easily reproducible and have almost been struck by cars from behind or on side of road.

- Worcester, MA, USA