2012 Chrysler 300 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler 300:

2012 Chrysler 300 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Dec 152015

300

The gear shifter sometimes does not go into park and on one occasion I got out of the car without realizing and immediately jumped back in, reengaging the park position. Since that time, I double check each time before getting out. Have not liked this shifter since I bought the car in 2012, since obtaining the correct gear takes sometimes several attempts. My wife also has this difficulty.

- Abingdon, MD, USA

Nov 132015

300

I press the start button my car and it came up service transmission, please put vehicle in park, my windshield wipers activated on their own (when they were in the off position), my heater continuously blew hot and I was unable to turn it off. I had to crawl through the backseat of my vehicle to open the trunk and disconnect it from the battery to cut the vehicle off. It also blind spot deter failed. A few months ago this happen while I was driving and the vehicle wouldn't go in park, with the same issues and they replaced my battery as well as my alternator but they said it was not in recall status. My car idled and attempted to go by itself and I was unable to control the vehicle.

- Albany, GA, USA

Oct 012012

300

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while making a right turn at approximately 15 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, while driving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle stalled and the instrument panel illuminated. Also, the contact stated that fluid was leaking from under the front of the vehicle and the vehicle started smoking. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The contact mentioned that the transmission had been replaced on three other occasions approximately every 10,000-12,000 miles. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 09/15/15

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Jun 282014

300

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. While at a stop position, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle jerked continuously prior to moving forward. The contact was unable to shift into reverse intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Lithonia , GA, USA

Aug 022015

300

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the ABS warning light illuminated. In addition, the steering wheel seized and the contact was unable to shift the gear lever into park. The emergency flasher illuminated independently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Revere, MA, USA

Dec 312014

300 6-cyl

I was driving approximately 30-35 mph and I felt a jerk and a warning sign came on saying service transmission below that it said to shut off engine and engage in park. I was almost on a major street when this occurred it slowed down I was unable to accelerate because of the issue. I turned around to enter a parking lot I was unable to put the car in park. I had to call a tow truck to come and get me. I'm thankful that I didn't make it the major road where the speed limit was 50-60 mph. Looking for a certified dealer to service this vehicle but they are swamped so I am stuck without a vehicle. I won't take the chance to drive it I feel it is unsafe.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 062014

300 6-cyl

I was going 30mph when I noticed my radio turned off, few seconds later center console went off, afterwards all the warning lights appeared on my instrument panel. The lights were going on and off the wind shield wipers turned on. 10 seconds later I lost brake control and the vehicle was stuck on the drive gear, power steering was off as well. I ran through a red light I managed to use the emergency break to stop, once I was stopped the car was still stuck on drive, the engine was shaking and making noise it took 30 mins for the engine to turn off. The vehicle interior and exterior lights were going crazy. The car got towed now the dealer is charging me 1,020 to replace the alternator and battery. That's how Chrysler thanks me for almost crashing.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Oct 132014

300

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the vehicle would not shift gears intermittently. The contact mentioned that the service engine, the ESC sensor and the ABS sensor warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was not inspected or diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number: 12V197000 (electrical system, service brakes, air). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Pine Bluff , AR, USA

Sep 012012

300

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler 300C. The contact started the ignition and the gear selector failed to shift from the park position. The contact mentioned that another person who was present removed the gear shifter housing cover and noticed an unknown part was broken. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 05V460000 (power train:automatic transmission); however the VIN was ineligible. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA