2012 Chrysler 300 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler 300:

2012 Chrysler 300 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jan 112015

300 6-cyl

I had just left my house and was approximately a quarter mile from home when my son and I noticed a strong smell of something burning. Then the radio turned off. I looked down and the message center said "battery saving mode". I had just put a new battery on less than 4 months ago. Then I heard a whirring noise under the hood and the vehicle would not accelerate up a hill. The red outline of a battery appeared on the dash. I took the car back home and parked it -- then had to have a new alternator installed the next day. Mechanic said there was definite evidence of the alternator burning up. After picking up the vehicle with the new alternator -- my heat would not blow out the front vents. Turns out the actuator had gone out. I am still trying to determine if this was caused by the electrical system or just a really strange coincidence. I am still afraid to drive the car when I get on the interstate even with the new alternator because I was told it could happen again at anytime without knowing the cause of the problem.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jan 092015

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The specifics of the failure were not available. The failure mileage was 159,000.

- San Diego , CA, USA

Jan 032015

300 6-cyl

Two recent issues with this vehicle. ABS/ecs warning light began coming on intermittently then over one weeks time it stayed on for longer periods. Light now stays on constantly after starting and moving the vehicle a short distance. Recently was driving at about 30 mph and the car hesitated, check engine light came on and service transmission warning appeared on dash display. The vehicle drove like it was in low gear engine RPM 2000 and moving under 20 mph. Pulled the vehicle into a safe spot tried to put the vehicle in park. Worked the shift lever however the car would not go into park nor could I turn the vehicle off. Eventually was able to get the car into park, not sure exactly how I did it, but was able to shut the vehicle off. Contact Chrysler road side assistance and they dispatched a tow truck to service the vehicle at a local dealer. The dealer service shop is back-up and will be a couple of days before they can examine the vehicle. Spoke to Chrysler technical support they conformed the vehicle has no existing recall notices.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 022015

300 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 3/13/15 updated 03/17/15

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 222014

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact was notified of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 212014

300 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician stated that the vehicle was functioning as designed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 14,999. Updated 02/24/15 the consumer stated the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. Updated 6/10/2015

- Park Hills, MO, USA

Dec 122014

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system); however, the parts needed to do the repair were unavailable. The contact had not experienced a failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue.

- New Britain, CT, USA

Dec 042014

300 6-cyl

This is in regards to Chrysler recall P60/NHTSA 14V-634 I received recall notice on thurs, Dec 4, 2014. I drove the vehicle to the don jackson dealership in union city, ga where it was purchased and presented the recall notice. I was told there are no parts available to correct the problem and no date as to when parts will be available. I called Chrysler 800 - 853-1403 number and provided recall notice info. I was told there are no parts to correct the problem and no date as to when parts will be available. I have explained that I work 50 miles from where I live and that I am driving thru 8 lanes of traffic 5 days a week. In addition, I have explained that this car is scheduled for a long 428 mile one way trip for xmas. Still no date as to when parts will be available. I was then told that this car is safe to drive. I wonder about this since the notice claims possible failure of electrical system and loss of anti-lock brakes. No one seems to care about my safety. So what about the 8 lanes of drivers and cars around me. Does anyone care about the possible impact to drivers who have nothing to do with this problem. They should not be harmed !!! I am making payments on this vehicle and feel that I should receive greater consideration. If this car is deemed to be possibly "not safe, " I strongly recommend that Chrysler find me one which is safe. Again, safercar -- what happens to the drivers around me if the systems in this Chrysler 300 should fail and I lose brake control in 8 lanes of traffic" any ideas" the folks who built it appear to be clueless !!!

- Peachtree City, GA, USA

Nov 162014

Was driving down the road and car started making a noise. Pulled over and popped the hood and smelled burning of plastic. Alternator was smoking. Had to have towed home.

- Smiths, AL, USA

Nov 062014

300 6-cyl

I was going 30mph when I noticed my radio turned off, few seconds later center console went off, afterwards all the warning lights appeared on my instrument panel. The lights were going on and off the wind shield wipers turned on. 10 seconds later I lost brake control and the vehicle was stuck on the drive gear, power steering was off as well. I ran through a red light I managed to use the emergency break to stop, once I was stopped the car was still stuck on drive, the engine was shaking and making noise it took 30 mins for the engine to turn off. The vehicle interior and exterior lights were going crazy. The car got towed now the dealer is charging me 1,020 to replace the alternator and battery. That's how Chrysler thanks me for almost crashing.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Oct 302014

300 6-cyl

I was driving along the street going about my normal day and while I was driving my radio shut off then all my lights on the dashboard start coming on the ABS light, sudden movement light. All lights in car start blinking off and on. Message popped up on computer screen that it was in power saving mode. Windshield wipers came on.steering screen went blank and car shut off. This is very dangerous. I was on a busy street and the only thing that saved me was that a policeman happened to be behind me.I took it to the dealership and it is getting checked out. They said that it is possible that my alternator went out. This could cause some one to lose their life.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 242014

300 6-cyl

Chrysler 300 2012 with 41261 miles. Was driving to work in the am coming to a stop light and my radio shut off the dash board went dark and the entire car shut down. I had my car towed to my mechanic 9/24/14, he said it was the alternator and it would cost $555 for the alternator $95 for labor + $52 tax = $702 for the repair. Today 10/17/14 I find out there is a recall on my car for the electrical alternator, how do I get a refund?

- Niagara Falls, NY, USA

Oct 052014

Was driving along doing about 45mph when my (ABS) light came on and then 10 seconds later my battery light then 5 seconds later all electrial components failed. (lights, power stearing) the car went dead and I was coasting down from 45mph at night totally blacked out with my child in the car. I was nearly hit by another car trying to stear the car to the shoulder. It drained the battery down to nothing and I smelled something burning with minor smoke under hood. No actual fire that I could see. Had to replace battery at 179 dollars and with estimate from dealer around 800.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Oct 092014

Faulty alternator, alternator fails and cars engine powers off while driving, first "battery saver mode" indicater comes on on message board then goes off and dealer cannot find the problem, it comes back on few days later and goes off. Dealer will not know problem. After message is displayed car is running on battery power only and eventually kills battery and alternator. "battery saver mode" message goes off when car is powered off when first appears. This a common problem and very costly. Very dangerous if vehicle is traveling on highway.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 012014

300 6-cyl

The uconnect radio system has malfunctioned and will not allow the bluetooth function to work anymore, nor will the voice commands work. When you click on the phone button on the touch screen, it goes to the phone screen but it is stuck in a handsfree system loading screen and never actually loads. When you go to settings you can't enter the phone portion of the settings at all. Nothing happens when you hit the voice command button either, which has nothing to do with the connection of a phone, it is just a function of the radio system.

- Gardendale, AL, USA

Aug 142014

300 6-cyl

On August 14th 2014 I was driving my Chrysler 300S through town at 31mph when my traction and antilock brake lights came on my dashboard. My "battery save mode" info also illuminated on the dashboard. I then heard a whining sound coming from outside the car from under the hood. We immediately pull over into a gas station and opened the hood and the alternator was on fire melting and burning. We immediately shut the car off and the car is completely broke down. Nothing works on the car now. We had the car towed home. I have 42300 miles on the car only 6000 out of warranty and this car is catching fire. If I would not have pulled over right away I hate to think about how my children and I could have been seriously injured or even death.

- Alvin, TX, USA

Jul 222014

300 6-cyl

Engine light came on, radio went off, and other lights on dash came on and car started smelling like rubber. Wipers came on and other lights were up on dash. Car shut off in middle of street and wouldn't start back up. After sitting for approximately 15-20 minutes in the street car cooled off and we were able to drive car to dealership service department. Took to dealership service department they said there was a radio software that needed updated. Concerned that the radio shut the entire car off and they couldn't explain to me what was the software. After several inquiries to the Chrysler service contract department they final;Y gave me software update being tsb-08-030-12-rev. Not satisfied with the resolution provided by Chrysler. Would like this issue to be looked before it occur to someone else or cause an accident.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Jul 312013

300 6-cyl

I purchased a "certified pre-owned" Chrysler 300S on 02/14/14. From the beginning I had to go to the dealer in numerous occasions due to too many electrical issues, including air bag light, seat belt alarm that will go off when nothing or nobody will be on the passenger seat. I had to take a video with my phone while driving for them to see that I was not lying and that there was an issue with the air bag light. Finally they changed something there and at the same time disconnected the alarm for the seat belt so it wouldn't go off. We asked several times if this may be a safety issue and they told us it was not. The car also has a rear shade that has to be repaired already once during warranty, and a second time when I had to pay for its repair. It is not working again since more than a month ago. The hands free system is also not working, and it has not worked right from the beginning. I had complained to them that my phone was not connecting all the time and they kept saying it was the satellite, the phone, etc. Now of course it doesn't work at all and I will have to pay $100 just for diagnostic. I called their 800 number for the certified preowned customer service and they said it is the hands-free module that needs to be replaced. This is also a very important safety feature I need working. I commute more than 53 miles every day and have conference calls while on the road. The rear view camera is also not working right. It works intermittently and again, this was an issue we mentioned to the dealer while the car was under warranty and they always had an excuse why that was happening. This again is also a safety feature important for the safety of the car. This car has too many problems that should not be happening to a car that was certified by the company to be in excellent conditions and that a year and 5 months later is in worst shape than my 8 year old magnum.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Dec 182013

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 13V118000 (air bags) and NHTSA campaign number: 12V197000 (electrical system, service brakes, air). The contact stated that both recalls had exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the repairs. The dealer stated that parts were not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- El Paso , TX, USA

Feb 232014

300 6-cyl

On 2/23/2014 my leased 2012 Chrysler 300 vehicle was parked in a store parking, out of no where- white smoke appeared from car's vents and center console. I turned my vehicle completely off, and approximately 3 to 5 minutes later entire cab begin to fill with thick white smoke...then flames appeared from console...scary..isn't the word!!. my children and I quickly removed ourselves from the car. A passerby in shopping parking lot noticed the electrical burning smell and ran back into store to retrieve a small fire extinguisher.. luckily, he was able to control the fire, prior to the fire brigade arriving on the scene.the front passenger seat and center console were burned considerably, as well as contents sprayed from fire extinguisher remain throughout the car.. not to mention the stench of the horrific electrical burn smell is still embedded in the interior..thank god we are all alive!!!.I have contacted Chrysler customer service # numerous times to provide all essential info(VIN #, chain of of this date (3/1/2014), still no response to as when the car will be inspected...again smh... sad but true!!!..Chrysler displayed no empathy regarding the possible loss what so ever...and continue to drag their feet by not scheduling an inspection of the vehicle by one of their fire specialist!!!!.(knowing that it is a possibility the electrical malfunction is Chrysler's liability- opposed to mine!!) I will proceed legally if I must!!,,again sad...but very true!!!!

- Mount Laurel, NJ, USA