7.7

2. replace steering column, ignition (1 reports)
  3. tap starter under engine with hammer (1 reports)
2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Aug 132013

PT Cruiser

My birthday I leave work to go home for a nice dinner waiting for me. Car wont start. Turn the key and the car hums, what the heck. With a jump the car would start. Battery is less than 2 years old shouldn't be dead. Did this for a few days as middle of week and work schedule busy nobody in small town available to fix or look at car during my non-work hrs, I work 7am to 7pm. Finally get it to a local mechanic, tests all the relays all the fuses they register as being fine. We replace the battery and battery cables. starts when it dang well feels like it, a few times then nothing. Only way to start is to run a jumper from starter relay to starter. Can't do that forever, because have to have the air-filter cover and filter off to reach the stuff. One local mechanic tells me I need to get the computer re-booted after having my car for the week. 100 miles form nearest Chrysler dealer. Took to local electrical automotive repair but he doesn't have equipment for computer fix, has to be at the dealer, after almost a week, he finds the ignition switch in the steering column in pieces, dang thing made out of pot metal, what's up with that. So the fix is either replace the whole steering column and ignition, because you cant just get the ignition switch, or run a separate push button starter and hope for the best. minimum $500 to $3000. At any rate a crummy birthday.

- , Quincy, CA, USA

Sep 112009

PT Cruiser Limited

So, here's the deal now. The car will only not crank some of the time. The machanic will only change the starter again if I can get the car to not crank for him. The car seems to only not crank when I am out of town or on the weekend when he is not open and I am stuck somewhere. It will crank EVERY TIME in his garage. BUT as soon as I pull out and he closes his shop, I stop for gas and my car would not crank!!

Feb 142008

PT Cruiser Limited

New starter lasted only 10,000 miles and the car went right back to not cranking. Thank God for the straight drive or I would have been very upset!!!!

Jul 092007

PT Cruiser Limited

1st time not so bad. With 125,000 miles you expect repairs to come up. With my car being a manual shift as long as you can get someone to push the car you can drop the clutch and crank the car.

Jun 132010

PT Cruiser

I had a problem with my PT Cruiser starting. Lights would turn on, ignition would "click", seat belt would "ding"...just wouldn't start. I had battery corrosion, but had that cleaned (twice). Battery tested and was "good" according to AAA. Turned out, it was the starter. AAA rep tapped on it with a hammer and the car started with the gentle turn of the key. I carry a hammer with me now and am scheduled to have starter replaced tomorrow.

Of course this happened on two of the HOTTEST days of the year (97 and 99 degrees outside) and both when I needed to be someplace else besides stranded in parking lot.

- , Millersville, MD, USA

Apr 292009

PT Cruiser

I have a 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser and it has been working fine for the past 2 years, until now. While i was driving home from work on a normal day, as the car was in motion everything shut off; the gauges, lights, the whole car shut down. I managed to make it to the side of the road and it hasn't said a peep ever since. When i turn the ignition nothing happens, no lights, no sounds, nothing. If anyone had this same problem, please feel free to let me know what the deal is?

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Apr 022009

PT Cruiser Touring 2.4L

With a new battery, the car should start up immediately. Does anyone know if this model has a 'chip' problem with the key, or a possible ignition problem?

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA