2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 012015

PT Cruiser

2002 Chrysler PT CRUISER. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle headlights and other electrical problems. The consumer stated his wife went to turn on the headlights, and discovered they did not work. The consumer's son checked the switch assembly and found a shortage in the assembly. The consumer son discovered some of the wiring coming from the assembly was bare.

- Van Nuys, CA, USA

Apr 212015

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2002 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While attempting to start the vehicle, all the meters, gauges, and instrument panel lighting failed to function. In addition, the interior lighting also failed to illuminate. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Effort, PA, USA

Dec 232014

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

I had just put fuel in my car and was driving across a parking lot. I proceeded to park my car and noticed smoke rising out of my steering wheel and a burning smell. My lower set of lights ( fog lights) had turned on by themselves, which is odd since they haven't been working for at least two years. In order to stop the smoking in the steering wheel, I had to remove fuse #8. same set of lights have turned on before a few years back draining my battery since I couldn't turn them off with their switch. In addition, my headlights turn off automatically at random while I'm driving and my clock lights go out frequently. Headlights have gone out on me 5 times over the past 3 years. I try not to drive much at night as a result.

- Clear Lake, IA, USA

Sep 262014

PT Cruiser

Fog lights came on by themselves while parked with no key in ignition (while at work). Common issue found all over the internet. Cause is a defective multi-function switch. Smelled a burning smell. Repair shop was unable to find any problems through diagnostics which was before the car had been seen during the day with it's running lights on. That drained the battery and required a jump start. Happened several times. Due to overwhelming number of complaints listed throughout the internet for this same issue we feel a recall should be issued as this is a fire hazard. The 15 amp fuse (number 8 on interior fuse panel) never blew but was discolored from heat.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

May 292014

PT Cruiser

Fog lights won't turn off, stayed on long enough to run down battery. Not good for single elderly woman volunteer stuck in a parking lot across town. Understand the problem has been reported in many, many vehicles for at least 10 years. Did I miss a recall" I'm the original owner. Where in the world will I find a multifunction switch and someone to install it? will the company cover the cost? are they on a fixed income"

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Mar 032014

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

My wife's car has had issues since we got the car. I have had the battery replaced and it is still not holding a charge. I found that while jump starting the car, you get sparks as you attach the cables. This is evidence of a short somewhere in the vehicle. The issues that I have found are nonfunctional interior lights, mirror controls, door locks, and radio. I have found recall information on vehicles with this same year, make, and model. Upon calling daimler Chrysler I was informed that this vehicle was not involved in this recall. I MA having the same issues as vehicles in this recall.

- Yuba City, CA, USA

Jun 032011

PT Cruiser

The electronic door locks on my 2002 PT CRUISER limited started operating by themselves two years ago. I have had this car since it was new and had the multifunction turn signal switch replaced about 3 years ago. The door lock problem sometimes occurs when you are driving the car at low speed but it will also occur when the car is setting in the garage with the key out of the ignition. The doors will lock and unlock several times on their own while driving or without anyone being in the car or touching the remote keyless entry system. This can present problems if the car is locked and in a public parking lot. The care sometimes will unlock on its own. You can also be locked out of the car if you don't take your keys with you when exiting the car. This seems to happen more during hot summer weather than during cooler winter months. I have also noted that the external temperature gauge and compass mounted above the front window will also go out during hot weather. When the car cools down with the air conditioner on, the external temperature gauge will start operating again. I have taken the car to the dealer three times to be fixed. The first time they charged to diagnose the problem and said nothing was wrong, the second time they said the battery cable was corroded and need replaced at $300 and it needed a new battery. After this work, I drove it around the block and the door locks started going wild again. So I went back to the service manager and he said they would have to have the car for several days and they would get the district service manager on the phone to see if he might be able to help them. At that point we went into winter and it was ok. It is doing it again this spring so I will try again.

- Santa Rosa Beach, FL, USA

Aug 102012

PT Cruiser 4-cyl Diesel

The problem I am having started about 2 months ago, my battery was suddenly drained and I had no idea why. I had to buy a new battery for about $125. When my fog light indicator began to flicker on and off on its own. I'd just press the end of turn signal arm inward towards the steering column and the indicator light went off. Gradually, the pressing process did not work anymore and I discovered that shutting off the car with the left hand turn signal pressed down, at least temporarily solved the problem (so I could do some research on its solution). Not knowing what to do, I brought it into the dealer and for $65 they diagnosed it at a need to replace the multifunction switch which they said required the pulling of steering wheel and over $600 more to fix. I opted out on that, since car has 112,000 miles on it. Then, with a week of very hot 90 degree temperatures, , I found that brand new battery totally drained and began reading the internet posts of the possibility of pulling the fuse. Of course being a usa car, the manual didn't identify the fuse for the fog lamps in the "under the hood" fuse box. It seems that the heat allows the fog lamps to still turn on when the left hand signal arm is pressed downwards. Going further, I found that fuse #8 in the interior dashboard fuse box could be pulled and should solve the problem without further repair. I find it very interesting that Chrysler does not even show you a sketch of the interior fuse box in their owners manual.this approach does mean that the manufacturer of the vehicle is not allowing the buyer (me) to fully enjoy all the features of the vehicle! seems to me that Chrysler corporation has not recalled the defective cars on purpose and needs to have a debacle like Toyota had before they will do the right thing and fix a bad design..

- Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

Feb 072012

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

I unlocked my car doors with remote, and drove to the store, it was dark out so I had my head lights on. When I came out of the store and tried to unlock my car, it would not work. So I manually unlocked the doors with my key. It was very cold weather at that time and my heater would not work as well then I turned on my car to go home, and my lights would not come on. And so I was towed home. The next day I took it in to a Chrysler repair shop and they did a quick check on it and said that it might be the electrical and they would have to go through the entire electrical to find the problem. They checked everything out without tearing the entire car apart and said that they could not find a problem with it. There went $100 of my money to find out that they could not find the problem. I don't know what else to do to get the car repaired with out having to spend $1,000 plus.... which is a quote by the Chrysler repair. I have not been able to drive my car at night, due to no lights and now that we have hot 90 to 101 degree weather, I can not drive my car during this period of time due to not being able to use the air conditioner or to roll my windows down. I have spent over $3,000 in repairs for my car and I have only had it for just two years. There is one thing after another with my car, the problems are having to replace parts and sometimes having to replace those same parts a year later when they have just ran out of the warranties. I have service records for all of these problems and it is almost 2 inches thick. I am on disability and it took me over a year to save the enough money to buy this car and I have no more money to fix it again... and I have to take it through deq here in Oregon and it will not pass their test due to exhaustion problems with the emissions leaking as well.

- Tualatin, OR, USA

Oct 162011

PT Cruiser

10-18-2011 I just bought my car last month (09-26-2011) and my control arms and bushing have already went bad. Now 2 nights ago (10-16-2011) my headlights stopped working. I took it into the dealership to have everything checked and was told that the wiring under the dash is messed up. I see that there are a lot of recalls for that happening to the 2002 PT CRUISER and now the dealer I bought the car from will not fix it (even though I'm still within my 30 day warranty) I do not understand why I should have to come out of pocket to fix this problem. Also, the dealer I bought it from would not give me a carfax on the vehicle. Also, sold me the car with a recall already on it that was issued way back in 2004. (power steering pressure hose) that I was told could cause a fire under the hood.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Apr 152011

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Fog lights automatically turning on by themselves without the owners knowledge...later on in the day it would cause issues with the headlights not wanting to work or them going off when you need them which could potentially cause an issue. Please review the following website for other potential issues with other consumers:

- Smithville, MO, USA

Jul 102011

PT Cruiser

The contact owns 2002 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While the vehicle was parked and the engine was turned off, the fog lights began to illuminate without intent. There were several attempts before the fog lights would turn off. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000.

- Brookhaven , PA, USA

Apr 042010

PT Cruiser

Fog lights would not turn off. Brought into dealership in el segundo, ca for repair on 03/29/06 was told it was an internal switch and repaired for $86.58. I thought the problem was repaired. Then in 2008 it happened again and I took it into another dealership in w. los angeles, ca and they told me it was a switch in the steering column so it had to be replaced and that totaled approximately $340. Now on easter (04/04/10) on my way to a bbq to my parents home, the fog lights came on again...and wouldn't turn off again. But this time it caused me to panic because it overheated and smoke started to come out of the hazard light switch and turn signal switch while I was just getting off the freeway. I was lucky because I was not to far from my parents home where my brother who was formally a mechanic had the mind to pull out the fuse to the fog lights. The fuse was very hot when he pulled it out and the smoking stopped. He did state that the car could of caught fire if he had not pulled the fuse out in time. I was lucky. I do have the old part available.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 152009

PT Cruiser

There has been numerous problems with Chrysler PT CRUISER electrical systems, namely the multifunction control switch seems to overheat and cause an electrical short. This depletes the battery, and has led a number of PT CRUISER owners to replace the multifunction control switch numerous times or remove the fuses for lights, such as the fog lights. Chrysler knows that there is a systematic problem with their vehicle but are not willing to do anything to resolve the problem. Information on such experiences can be found on the web at forums such as or at

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Aug 142009

PT Cruiser

Multi-function switch connector housing degrades due to heat exposure over time which can cause shorting, light or turn signal failure or a smoke/fire hazard. The first indication of a problem was that the fog lamps would turn on by themselves. Other owners have reported the main lights turning on and a few instances of the steering column billowing smoke while driving. Chrysler has 2000+ multi-function switches on back order and refuses to acknowledge the issue after many owners have called to complain about the problem.

- Allen, TX, USA

Oct 062009

PT Cruiser

The multifunctional light switch on PT CRUISER is defective. Over 500 PT CRUISER owners have reported that suddenly the front & back fog lights come on & do not shut off even when the motor & all other switches are turned off. Obviously there is a short in the switch which could result in head lights suddenly being turned off when driving at night. This failure has been constant forcing me & others to remove the fuse controlling the fog lights so that the battery does not drain down after the vehicle is shut down. I and others have encountered extreme difficulty in obtaining a replacement part.

- Wiesbaden, Germany, 00, USA

Jul 142009

PT Cruiser

Found 2002 PT CRUISER with dead battery on occasion, no consistency. Replaced battery (7.75 years old, 90K miles) after 3rd instance over 2 months, issue resolved for about 2 weeks. Car parked in hot parking lot, fog lights were dim when approaching car. Car would not turn over to start, had it jumped. Upon returning home, went to turn off car, fog lights would not turn off. Fiddling with light switch would make them go off temporarily, then right back on. Found turning left blinker in on position kept fogs off. Researching issue, found the following forum: where hundreds of people have experienced the same issue. Waiting to hear from Chrysler on replacement part, as all online sources say it is back ordered 30-60 days.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jun 032009

PT Cruiser

Multifunction switch for headlights and fog lights fails. Lights erratic, safety problem big time at night. Thousands of complaints of the problem since 2001 can be viewed on line under various posts and threads. Obviously a manufacturing defect that the company needs to address. Since the company is now run by the government, should I call the white house?

- California , MD, USA

May 252009

PT Cruiser

I purchased my 2002 Chrysler PT CRUISER a few years ago now. I have sent Chrysler many letters about these problems. The most recent incident was very scary. I bought the car at about 31,000 miles. About a month later my paint started peeling off of the front bumper and my dash started to crack. Mind you I keep my car garaged and it is washed and waxed regularly by a shop that I have used for years with no problems. I went back to the dealer I bought it from and they were gone. So I contacted my next closest dealer. They said they could not do anything for me. About a month after that my cpu went out which was covered under the extended warranty that I purchased. They had to replace it twice before it finally lasted more than a day. Then my dash completely crumbled. It cracked from the windshield to the front in the center and on both sides. I wrote a letter and email with no answer. I then contacted Chrysler by phone and the lady told me to F% off and hung up on me. So I gave up. Obviously I was not going to get anywhere with them. Then about 3 months ago my check engine light came back on. I took my car to a friend who is a licensed mechanic and he scanned it on the computer and said it was my cpu again! I took it to the dealership and was told my warranty had expired. So I wrote another letter because this repair was going to be $1400 dollars. No response. But the scariest was about 2 weeks ago I was driving with my 13 month old niece in the car and smoke started coming from the left hand side of my steering column. I almost had got in a wreck trying to get us to safety. The smoke stopped so I figured whatever it was done for now. We were on the side of the road in a not so desirable neighborhood at night so I decided to take my chances with the car. We headed off on our way and my headlights started flickering. I parked the vehicle at home and the next morning my fairly new battery was dead. My flood lights would not turn off and had been on all night.

- Palm City, FL, USA

Apr 272009

PT Cruiser

The control switch for the headlights on my 2002 PT CRUISER has gone bad causing the fog lights to be permanently on and draining the battery.

- Canton, MA, USA