2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 232010

PT Cruiser

My 2005 pt crusier bought used with 27000 miles on speedometer in June 2009. Recently the motor stubbles and shakes like it wants to stall. I have even had it just quit in the middle of traffic causing traffic to avoid me by near miss. I see that others have had the same problem isn't this a safety issue warranting a recall.

- Fort Myers , FL, USA

Apr 202010

PT Cruiser

I have a 2005 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The fog lights come on unintentionally and drain the battery when the engine is turned off. I was left stranded in empty parking lots 3 times with my car battery dead. It seems the multi function switch is the culprit and this issue existed since 2001 models, Chrysler has done nothing to fix it for 10 years.

- Bel-Aire, KS, USA

Mar 182010

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

2005 PT CRUISER convertible fog lights came on while the vehicle was stopped and parked in parking lot. Came back 1 hour later and the battery was dead. Had no phone and had to walk 4 blocks in a dark vacant, "scary part of town" by myself. Called bcaa and they came out to give me a boost. The tech told me this is a rampant problem with these cars.

- Surrey, 00, USA

Dec 072009

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

PCM chip in 2005 PT CRUISER convertible identified by Chrysler dealership as being the problem. PCM causes myriad of electrical & transmission problems which Chrysler won't admit to. When any engine light or other alarm indicator goes on in vehicle and I bring it to Chrysler-they simply say there's nothing wrong with vehicle. Then the troubles start. The PCM causes stalling at a red light or at low speeds--got rear ended twice, vehicle not turning over/won't start, drains batteries (replaced it 3 times),(car was towed to Chrysler because it wouldn't start) power steering mechanism leaks (replaced twice) causes electrical problems on dashboard, radio & cd player wont work (cd is stuck in player), causes car lock/alarm system to malfunction (replaced twice) car lock/system has locked me out of my car and fog lights/head lights won't turn off which then drains battery. Chrysler dealership "supposedly" replaced this PCM chip 1.5 yrs ago and the repair took a month and a half while I waited without a loaner car even though my Chrysler extended warranty allowed me to have one! when I got the car back I noticed that the fog light/headlight indicator light was on and went back to dealer to tell him it's happening again and he indicated that I not ever return to his dealership. Now 1.5 years later, I have the same problems with my vehicle and it's the PCM chip causing them. I have lost my job from not being able to drive to work while they 'fixed' my car for a month, lost thousand of $$$ repairing this vehicle, my warranty is now expired, am still financing vehicle, but car won't start and is dangerous to drive because it stalls while driving, etc. The car isn't worth 3K and the repairs are in the thousands to fix all the issues. Consumer wants an update on complaint. 1/27/10 updated 02/01/10

- Brick, NJ, USA

Jul 152009

PT Cruiser

2005 PT CRUISER multifunction switch failed. Fog lights would not go off even after I removed the key. Smoke came out of switch.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Jul 162009

PT Cruiser

My wife's 2005 PT CRUISER with only 10,100 has a continual problem starting. By replacing or reinstalling the fuel pump relay the engine will start. Recently on one occasion the engine stalled; gladly in a parking lot, had this happened on the road or freeway an accident could have been caused. Has Chrysler been notified about the problem and is it just this particular vehicle or are there others with similar problems and will there be a recall by Chrysler to fix this problem before or after an accident?

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jun 222009

PT Cruiser

Chrysler 2005 PT CRUISER convertible. Defective multifunction control switch. (turn signal, headlight, fog light lever). Causes fog lights to stay on even when the ignition is off, draining battery on a consistent basis. For now only way to remedy problem is to pull the fuse for the fog lamps. Cannot find a replacement part. Dealer says they ordered 50 replacement parts over 4 months ago, nationwide over 3000 are back-ordered, so Chrysler obviously knows they have a problem.

- Encino, CA, USA

Apr 262009

- Naples, FL, USA

May 112009

PT Cruiser

Vehicle would not start, this has happened numerous times in the past. I have replaced the fuel pump relay and this has corrected the problem. In the past the vehicle did start with a jump or by cleaning the positive battery terminal.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Apr 162008

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

2005 Chrysler PT CRUISER touring ed. - purchased at Dodge dealership, extended warranty contract purchased, and veh. Was a certified veh. At time of purchase, within the first 30 days veh. Was in for a new headgasket, less than 13K miles, replaced front brakes and shoes within the first 15K miles, now driving to work in heavy traffic conditions, and as I was coming to a congested intersection, the car went completely dead, total loss of pwr, cars were slamming on brakes swerving to not rearend my veh. That was pwr less. No brake lights, no hazz. Lights, and nowhere to go but sit frantically in the middle of cars near missing me as each one passed by, it must have been 3 min. As I continually tried to start the veh, and now power at all, not a sound, then out of nowhere it started up as if there was never a problem at all, 73K miles and now this. What next, am I going to find out what the other 10 incidents that are identical to this pwr failure situation that there is no mechanical resolution to this at all, and I will just have to take my chances every time I get in and drive hoping that it never happens on the freeway, is someone going to have to loose their life before Chrysler ack. That this is a life threatening problem?

- Tracy , CA, USA

Oct 272007

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The keyless entry and actual key would not unlock the vehicle. The contact had to climb through the window to enter the vehicle. Once in the passenger compartment, the doors would not open with the handle or the door latch. The vehicle is presently at the dealer and they stated that they will replace the remote receiver and the cylinoids in both doors. The current and failure mileages were 8,000. Updated 01-15-08. Updated 01/15/08

- Richmond, VA, USA

Feb 272005

PT Cruiser

05 PT CRUISER has had electrical problems since Feb 05 (bought new.) the first time I filled up, the "check engine" light came on. Referring to the owners manual, I restarted the car a couple of times and the light went off. At the first oil change, I told the service manager, and was told that the gas cap was probably loose. Ok -- maybe. They re-set the computer and downloaded a software update from Chrysler. Within 3 days, the light came on again. Took it in & reset and was told again it was probably the cap. Not -- I made sure the cap was tight after the first incident. Over the next year, the "check engine" light has come on at least once between each oil change. Some times it stays on the entire time, sometimes it comes on and goes off two or three times. The service departments (2 different dealers) can find no stored code, nor can they replicate the problem. They -set the computer each time. I've also had both the rear windows open without notice several different times under different circumstances. Once, the passenger-side rear window stayed open for nearly 40 min before closing on its own. Usually happens upon first starting the car. In addition, the entire rack & pinion has been replaced because of a failed sensor earlier this year. 3 months ago, the car started stalling within 5 miles of starting. Sometimes, the entire motor shuts down; sometimes I just loose 1000-1500 rpms. After popping the clutch, the engine is fine for however long I want to drive. Again, the service department couldn't replicate the problem. This month (10-07) a 3rd dealer replaced the O2 sensor and a new factory software download, after having the car for a week. The car seemed to run much better for 10 days, then the light came on again. So far, it hasn't stalled again. I'll take it in for an oil change & have the computer re-set this week. Do I have a lemon?

- Madison, AL, USA

Aug 262006

PT Cruiser

My Chrysler 2005 PT CRUISER, bought in may of this year, suddenly loses its power while I am driving (twice on the highway). This loss of power resulted in my nearly being in a rear end collision from a truck coming up behind me! it has been towed to 2 Chrysler dealers on 3 separate occasions. They cannot identify or fix the problem although it has had two additional failures documented by them. This last time they have had my car for over two weeks. It has a serious driveability issue. They have already replaced several parts including the entire onboard computer prior to this most recent breakdown. This should not happen to a new car and Chrysler customer service took the information over a week ago has not gotten back to me.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Sep 122005

PT Cruiser

The defects in my vehicle are primarily related to the electrical system failing resulting in the engine shutting off. All of the power goes out; the engine dies and comes back on after either a few moments or a few minutes. During this time the vehicle is very difficult to steer and near impossible to brake. This occurs intermittently, on multiple occasions while at speed on the interstate. To date (1/16/2006) this has occurred 18 times on my vehicle. The dealership has told me on many occasions that they are not confident on what is causing this problem. This condition has been witnessed by others. I bought this car new in April 2005. I began having problems with it at around 12000 miles in September 2005. This problem is still present and DC does not know what is causing it. They offered a similar 2005 pt but refused to buy the vehicle back. From what I have found so far, there have been 9 similar occurrences of this and none have been solved. Thereby, I refused to take another 2005 PT CRUISER. I do not have any confidence in the car so it sits parked while I must continue to make payments while this matter goes through the courts. They also stated that they were only attempting what daimler Chrysler directed them to do. The dealership has attempted to fix this problem with no success on four occasions (10/06-10/07, 10/20-10/24, 10/24-10/28, 11/07-11/17). The dealership promised to make necessary part replacements and then drive it one to two hundred miles after. They did not do either. They said that they do not have the manpower to have someone drive it several hundred miles to replicate the problem. Most times the car is on the highway for several hours before it dies. I have given the dealership plenty of opportunities to fix this problem. This is a very serious and severe safety issue for both me and other drivers on the road.

- Bloomdale, OH, USA

Oct 262005

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

I have a complaint about the air conditioner in my 2005 PT CRUISER touring edition. When I use the air or the heat or defrost I can smell sour smell coming from the vents. I took it to the dealer service department, they checked it and told me the air conditioner had moisture built up in it. They told me they would have to clean and deodorize it but they would have to order the cleaner and deodorizer and the equipment to fix it. I called them back the following week they said they had everything to fix it, but when I returned on November 11, 2005 they still did not have all of the equipment to fix it.

- Fultondale, AL, USA

Aug 102005

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

At first the engine surges after car stops at intersection. Slightly at first and then occurrence increases at subsequent stops with greater surge. Then engine surges and dies at stops until engine dies and will not restart. The last time the engine died at 45 mph and would not restart until the following morning. Took car to a Chrysler dealership for repair and dealer cannot locate the problem. The car is a safety hazard to the driver and passengers, as you can never tell where or when the car is going to quit running.

- Cobb, CA, USA

Oct 112004

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

New 2005 PT CRUISER GT convertible purchased 5/15/04. To date, vehicle in for service for same defect 4 times, once towed. Vehicle non-operational 14 days and non-serviceable, part now thought to be the defect is on national backorder with no reasonable expectation of delivery. Vehicle unsafe, failing in intersections and on highways.

- Northridge, CA, USA