2008 Dodge Avenger drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Avenger:

2008 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Aug 302010

I got into my Dodge Avenger(2008) and I couldn't put it in gear. The shifter will not move.

- Tunrersville, NJ, USA

Aug 292010

I have a Dodge Avenger, 2008. Couldn't get it out of park this morning as I was rushing to take my daughter to the hospital. Seems the manufacturer put a hidden' little pink plastic piece described as a safety feature in the console. This little pink plastic piece somehow broke (just cant understand how plastic could break). From what im reading this isn't uncommon. Wonder how they're gonna feel when there's a lawsuit?

- Forrest City, AR, USA

Aug 282010

My 2008 Dodge Avenger SE will not shift out of park.....while doing some research I found that over 50 customers are having the same problem with there Dodge Avenger however there does not seem to be a recall yet!!!!!!!! by providing this information I hope something can be done about this major problem.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Aug 262010

Faulty gear shift mechanism caused gear shift selector to stick in park. Happened suddenly, without warning. Had to have car towed to dealership for repair. Gear selector mechanism was replaced at a cost of $342. Apparently a known issue which has happened to thousands of 2008 and 2009 Dodge Avenger owners. Not covered under extended warranty. Recall needed.

- Valencia, CA, USA

Aug 132010

I went to get in my car about a week and half ago, to go to work, and I started it and went to put it in drive, and could not shift it out of park. I let off the brake, and then back on, and then retried, but still nothing. So I turned it off and waited a few minutes, and then retried, but still could not get it out of park. So I went and woke my husband up and he tried and we were still unable to get it out of park. We called the dealership and they said they have replace numerous shifters in vehicles just like mine in the past year, and it was going to be around $400! we have tried to take the up holder out of the console and find the release button that the manual talks about, but it is not working either! my car is still sitting in park in the driveway!

- Liberty, KY, USA

Aug 182010

I bought a used 2008 Dodge Avenger on 6/22/2010, on 8/18/2010 I was leaving work started my car and could not get it out of "park". this happened without any warning as I had driven the car 3 hours earlier with no problems at all. Called the Dodge dealership the next day and was told this was a common problem but not a recall and would cost over $300 to repair. This was all very confusing too me, wish I knew what was looked at or the criteria to consider this a recall. I would think Dodge would be able to pull a report of how many "shift assemblies" has been repaired. It appears from the website I have found a lot of Dodge customers have experience this unforeseen debacle when trying to drive off.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 132010

No warning, the gear shift in my 2008 Dodge Avenger was stuck in park. The Dodge dealership say this is going to cost $400. I investigated on line and several thousand people are also dealing with the same issue.

- Radcliff, KY, USA

Aug 172010

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger that a spring attached to the shifter broke on last night. It makes it so you cannot put the car into gear. There are people all over the internet with the same problem and my dealership said they are fixing 2 a day and it costs $400 for us to fix it! if there are that many people having problems they need to recall it, my car is only a couple years old, this is ridiculous!

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Aug 172010

2008 Dodge Avenger SXT will not shift out of park. Brake switch activates but gear shifter will not move past park safety stop.

- Pierre, SD, USA

Aug 142010

I was trying to start my 2008 Dodge Avenger when I was unable to release it from park. The car starts properly, but the shift gear does not move. This is due to the cheap plastic that Dodge has used as a lever to release a spring that releases the shift. The cheap plastic has broken!!! unacceptable. My Dodge has 50,000 miles on it.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 132010

The first one was on August 7th 2010 the car slid and I hit an embankment the brakes did not work we were pretty shook up I messed up the right front tire with the crash the second incident happened on August 13 2010 the cars gear will not shift it is stuck we are trying to fix by looking at the internet it seems this is a common problem because Chrysler used a plastic part for the gear shift spring this is crazy I am still paying off my car please help!

- Arlington , TX, USA

Aug 082010

Defective shift assembly, locks the car into park and cannot shift at all. Can't drive the car. Has to be towed to dealer and pay to fix a defective part that apparently, many 2008 Dodge Avenger owners have had problems with. The dealer is saying that since our warranty "just" ran out it will be at least $350 to fix. I understand that the part cost.75 cents. What our are rights!!!!!

- Newport News, VA, USA

Jul 012010

2008 Dodge Avenger will not shift out of park. After investigation, the spring that connects the shift lock and the brake has broken off. This has caused me not to be able to drive my car. It has been stuck in the driveway for about six weeks.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 092010

A spring on the shifter assembly broke/melted and now the whole shifter assembly has to be replaced.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Aug 062010

- Denton , TX, USA

Aug 062010

My car is stuck in park and will not move gears. I have researched on this and came to find out there are numerous of other customers with the same complaint.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 022010

Drove my car to work without any problems. It sat in the parking lot all day (10am - 5pm) then when I went to leave the car wouldn't shift out of park.

- Arnold, MO, USA

Aug 032010

2008 Dodge Avenger - car working perfectly before. Parked and left at 5pm went out to do errands at 7pm and car would not disengage from park. Dodge dealership called and will be fixed.

- Bozeman, MT, USA

Jul 292010

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger R/T and yesterday I went out to my car to leave work and it would not come out of park. I googled the issue and found out that others, just like I, have had a piece in the shifter assembly break. Unfortunately my warranty ended 3 months ago and I had to pay for this part out of pocket. The part I am replacing the broken part with is going to be exactly the same. I am certain I will have to replace this part again within a few years, if not sooner. This is a manufacturing defect and should not have to be fixed at the owners expense. Nor should my family or the many others have to settle with sub par parts because daimler Chrysler wants to save a couple of bucks by assembling cheap parts. My car is currently sitting in my driveway waiting to be repaired. Thankfully I have a second vehicle and am able to get to work, however my wife and daughter must sit at home until I am home for work due to this issue. I really hope a recall happens soon.

- Hinesville, GA, USA

Jul 232010

2008 Dodge Avenger is stuck in park, will not shift out of park.

- Lakeland, FL, USA