1.8

2008 Dodge Avenger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Avenger:

2008 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Feb 102014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While attempting to shift gears, the gear shifter became stuck. While driving approximately 50 mph, the electronic throttle body warning light illuminated. The failure recurred multiple times during cold weather. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- Hammond, IL, USA

Oct 132014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the vehicle suddenly began to decelerate as the electronic throttle control warning light illuminated and failed to accelerate over 15 mph. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- West Seneca, NY, USA

Jun 012009

Avenger

Radiator loses coolant. This caused the car to over heat and the engine to be replaced, a new radiator and it still loses coolant 4 years later. Can't figure out where the coolant is going as it is never under the car (like a leak).

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Sep 192014

Avenger

I purchased this vehicle in Feb 2008, and over the last couple of months I've had to replace the alternator, battery, tension puller and various other parts. Today 10/07/14 my car engine stalled as I was turning to drop my son off at daycare and almost created what could of been a deadly crash. I've called the dealership who sold me the car, who wired me to the Dodge manufacturers, who then directed me to the Chrysler company who then told me about the highway safety department. I've seen on various websites with similar compliants about the same exact issues I've had with this vehicle. Why must the recall occur after the death of somebody and not now. I could have died today and found no resolution. I now longer feel that my car is safe nor do I want it anymore. But also feel that I dont want to trade it in and have somebody else die because of these malfunctions. I know noone will write back or respond but something has to be done.

- Greenwood, MS, USA

Sep 252012

Avenger

Shortly after I purchased my '08 Dodge Avenger I started having trouble w/the etc. It felt like the vehicle was jolting on acceleration or if I was at a steady high rate of speed (75-80 mph). The etc indicator came on. I contacted the dealer & informed them of the issue & my concern about the reliability of the vehicle. It was in & out of the shop 3 times in the 1st month of purchase for the etc. I was told it was a speed sensor yet my etc light was on after replacement. After having etc sensor cleaned & etc software flashed the problem appeared to go away. Almost 2 years later the problem is back & worse. My etc indicator came on, vehicle stalled while idling, started jolting while accelerating & while maintaining a steady speed. It began revving at a complete stop w/full pressure applied to the break (vehicle would jump forward; I feared it would run itself into another vehicle). While slowing down it would rev & accelerate (creating the possibility of hitting another vehicle) w/out pressure on the gas pedal. It died while driving & wouldn't start restart. When it did start the etc was on & it wouldn't get past 1000rmp or above 20mph & had a very rough idle. A tune-up was done, etc sensor cleaned, air-intake system cleaned, & load test done to see if the battery was going bad. This vehicle is incredible unsafe to drive, after researching it appears that I am not the first person w/this issue. Dodge needs to recall this throttle body, it's extremely dangerous. The repairs on this vehicle are extensive & the problem isn't fixed. Advised replacing throttle body is the next step. Told it wouldn't be a guaranteed fixed because the throttle body for this model appears a faulty & I would likely be dealing w/this problem for the length of ownership. Recorded vehicle during some of incidents since I was told 1st time I was told "unable to duplicate, flashed software."

- Richmond, MI, USA

Jul 282014

Avenger

My car horn goes off periodically and stays on when im driving or parked without me blowing it.also my seat belt light comes on every time I turn on the vehicle.when im driving tge engine oil light comes on the wheel tighten up and the vehicle slows down and cuts completely off. I have been driving on busy streets when this happen as well as express ways. Once it cuts off if I sit and a couple minutes the car may start back driving like nothing happen...usually. I sit for 30 minites before it start up..I have taken it tp mechanica and its something with the electrical system no codes are coming up when I went to place it on a machine..one mechanic said it my be the ignition not connecting..can this be investigated because this car is doing things on its own the horn will go off when im parking driving and the fuse was checked

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 032014

Avenger

I started my car on Sunday August 3, 2014 and the engine wouldn't turn over, after waiting a minute the car started. While driving the car would not go faster than 20 mph even with my foot completely on the petal. I took my car to oreilly auto parts and had the check engine light read. I had all new spark plugs (based off the check engine light reading) put in the vehicle and I'm still not able to drive over 20 mph. My car is now cutting off at the light and not the highest speed is 20 mph. I keep getting a lighting bolt message and check engine message even though all the codes have been cleared.

- Troy, MI, USA

Mar 152014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While traveling 40 mph, the vehicle began to decelerate on its own. The contact applied the accelerator pedal and all of the instrument panel warning indicators illuminated when the speed reached 50 mph. The failure occurred numerous times. An independent mechanic was unable to diagnose the vehicle and recommended it be taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Apr 172014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the engine light illuminated. The vehicle was diagnosed by an independent mechanic who informed the contact that the intake manifold required replacement. In addition, the power control module would need to be reprogrammed. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 126,000.

- Canandaigun, NY, USA

Mar 262014

Avenger 4-cyl

Was driving down the highway and noticed a delayed response when pushing down on the accelerator, moments later I was unable to accelerate and the car's electronic throttle control light appeared. The car was unable to go more then 15 mph. I had to have the car towed. I did not receive a warning before this happened however, I did notice my car stalling a little bit a day prior to this happening. I see I am not the only person with this problem, now I have to see how much money this is going to cost me. I am a college student and need my car but not this types of expense and safety risks it comes with. There are 125,000 miles on the car at this time.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Feb 192014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle began to lose power as the check engine and the throttle warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a certified mechanic where they stated that the spark plugs and coil needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the throttle warning light remained illuminated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 23,500. The VIN was unavailable.

- Bridgeville, PA, USA

Mar 072014

Avenger 4-cyl

The electronic throttle control and the engine light are constantly coming on and going off. This has been going on for two weeks now. I called a Dodge dealer and they told me that the recall for this very same issue is not for my car. My VIN supposedly is not in the sequence Chrysler decided to recall. I don't know what to do.

- Howell, MI, USA

Jan 072014

Avenger

While I was driving home from work I was driving approx 50 mph and I lose power and my electronic control throttle light came on. I couldn't go faster then 5 mph and my RPM wouldn't pass 2,000 I pulled over on side of road turned off the car and try to restart but it would only run for a few seconds and cut out again. My home town mechanic said that the issue was the throttle body. The total cost in repair is roughly 500 dollars, and reading online there are more drivers out there having the same issue. I think Dodge should do a recall on there 2008 Dodge Avengers and up.

- Springwater, NY, USA

Nov 182013

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that the engine warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that two pulleys were loose and the air pump needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 99,000 and the current mileage was 99,360.

- Corcoran, CA, USA

Nov 202013

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact was driving approximately 70 mph when the vehicle suddenly stalled. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 107, 000.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Nov 202013

Avenger

My Dodge Avenger had a throttle control light illuminated on the dash when first starting the vehicle. Thereafter, the car first would not go over 20 mph. Later this problem progressed. The car only had a small amount of power. It could get up to 30-40 mph on flat areas but struggled to maintain 5 mph on inclines. The vehicle would also shake violently when the transmission was in gear but the vehicle was stopped do to engine vibrations. I am currently in the progress of replacing the Avengers throttle body. Normally I wouldn't report this, but when I called the dealer to order the part he informed me that they have been replacing a lot of these lately due to problems.

- Borden, IN, USA

Aug 012011

Avenger

Problem 1) the air bag lights would come on intermittently. Problem 2) the engine stalls intermittently, especially on rainy days. Problem 3) the front speakers sounded cracked or damaged and then over a short period of time the left speaker quit and the right speaker is majorly distorted. I might add this is not due to over cranking the stereo. This is due to cheap/inadequate quality speakers used.

- Laurel, DE, USA

Oct 132013

Avenger

Every time it rains and I drive the vehicle at stop light or a any complete stop. Engine starts stalling. Then cuts off. This issue has gone for about 4 months only when it rains. Check engine comes on with code P2004( manifold runner bank 1 stuck open.) I have replaced the whole manifold with new parts I bought from Dodge dealer. Check engine light doesn't go away after trying to delete code. I was told that I had to go to Dodge dealer to get it reprogram which will cost me. Should have to pay to get reprogram if I exchange parts on the car.

- Blackstone, VA, USA

Jul 252013

Avenger

When proceeding from a complete stop, my car stalls. It is in the drive mode and is trying to go but can't. and it is starting to do it more often than not. I thought it may have had something to do with my brakes, since they were squeaking, but I have since gotten them repaired and the stalling continues. Also sounds like something is gurgling under the hood. Really don't even want to think about how much the repairs are going to cost.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 282013

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure recurred on two separate occasions. Additionally, the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The vehicle failure mileage was 62,000.

- Kansas City , MO, USA