2008 Dodge Avenger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Avenger:

2008 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Mar 042016

Avenger

I brought a 2008 Dodge Avenger in March 2016 and shortly after purchasing it, the vehicle stalled while I was driving. It did it several times while driving trying to start it and while in reverse. I notice that when im driving and I slow down or coming to a stop it would kinda shake and I notice that the RPM side dropped below 0 and the car stalled. If I can feel it in time I would take my foot of the brake and let it go up to 1 and hit the brake again and sometimes that would help. I have been to mechanic shops and because the check engine light wasnt on it was not reading anything and ive contact the dealership to see if my vehicle was recalled which it should be because I have a new born and it stall on me in traffic on the freeway while an 18 wheeler was behind me so you can imagine my nerves. This vehicle is not safe and I can't spend a lot of money paying for the none existing problem as I am told. Because I cant afford it please help!!! this is a safety issue and I dont feel safe driving my car. Something is wrong and I can't keep paying people to do nothing about this situation. This is scary, thanks in advance

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 212016

Avenger

I started the car to leave work, check engine light came on. As I was driving I lost the ability to accelerate above 40mph. While driving 30mph the RPM were at 4,000. I took the car to my mechanic. Map sensor was replace and also transmission selinoid. Check engine light was still on, they went through all trouble shooting. PCM needs to be replaced. According to Dodge dealership the part is on back order with no eta on shipping. Was also told there are over 200 orders waiting to be filled, people are waiting 4 months to receive the part. My car has been in the shop now for almost 3 weeks. The dealership my mechanic called didn't inform them of the back order, we were told by another dealership when trying to find the part elsewhere.

- Clinton, MD, USA

Jan 042016

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the intake manifold and the sensor switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 102,798.

- Merced, CA, USA

Jul 282015

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled. In addition, the cruise control failed to function. The electronic throttle control (etc) and check engine warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the power train control module (PCM) needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Oneonta, NY, USA

Sep 022015

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled without warning. Also, the contact mentioned that the driver seat seat belt failed to retract and latch, which caused the warning chime to activate. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 202015

Avenger

I was exiting out of a parking lot in town and traffic was back up and at a standstill. As I attempted to turn left a car tried passing the stopped traffic in a no passing zone. The vehicle hit the front of my car, totaling it. The bumper was on the ground, radiator sideways, hood crinkled, fenders destroyed. My airbags did not deploy. The car that hit me was going fast and caused major damage. Taylorville police department police report number 15-341

- Taylorville, IL, USA

Nov 192014

Avenger

Vehicle turns itself off occasionally while stopping at a traffic light.

- Shaker Heights, OH, USA

Sep 022013

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving 35 mph, the check engine indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the manifold intake runner became inoperable and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Little Town, CT, USA

Jul 302015

Avenger

My son purchased his 2008 Avenger used in 2014 from Oklahoma. He is in the military and while deployed I am maintaining his vehicle at the local dealership in Michigan with oil changes and service. While driving at 55mph on the freeway the TPMS light came on then the cruise control turned off. Then the engine light as I was exiting the freeway the engine stopped. I started the vehicle which stalled at every. Intersection and on turns would stall putting me in the opposite lane. When looking up recalls it showed the exact problem. I took the vehicle to the dealership. They stated no recall on this VIN# and the problem is his timing chain and of course the fee is $1500 dollars. It seems Fiat Chrysler is trying to do everything not to fix these older models.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Sep 112012

Avenger 4-cyl

My daughter was driving home from work at 60mph and all of sudden the radio was cutting off and on and then the car started hesitating and then just cut off.after having it towed home found that the starter was burt up.replaced starter with new and car fired up and ran for about an hour when the new started that was just replaced also burt...this happened two more times...the car has been broke for two years now.I have it at an independent mechanic shop with another starter....they cannot find the short in the electrical system thats causing this starter to fry! the car starts fine...idles fine...until you drive it for about 3or 4 miles and then the starter starts burning....I can stop the car when I hear the starter winding and burning and take the key completely out and the starter stays stuck in starting position till it burns completely up....there definitely is an electrical issue that no one has heard of, and very hard to fix....updated 10/20/15 the consumer stated the tipm was shorting out and causint the starter to burn. The vehicle was repaired. The ignition lock was also replaced because the key would stick upon starting the vehicle. Updated 2/24/2016

- Aransas Pass, TX, USA

May 092015

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving at 65 mph, the vehicle began to overheat and the temperature warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the thermostat, reservoir, water pump, timing chain, and a temperature coolant sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. However, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the mechanic, who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Douglas, GA, USA

Jul 152015

Avenger

I was unable to start my car as the key would not turn in the ignition, and I could not release the break or turn my wheel. I tried for 25 minutes. I rocked the car while it was in park and the back and forward and then the key turn and I was able to drive.

- Glastonbury, CT, USA

Jun 262014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving at 50 mph, the cruise control was activated but would independently turn off. In addition, the contact stated that while at a stop light and the brake pedal was depressed the rpms increased. The contact also stated that while at a stop, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The tire pressure warning light and engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed but the parts that needed to be repaired were unknown. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was then taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 08V152000 (electrical system) however, the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- Marksville, LA, USA

Jun 152015

Avenger

I was stopped at a red light; once the light turned green, I stepped on the gas to go and the vehicle jerked lightly; the warning light for which I now know is the throttle body sensor, blinked on and off; I attempted to give it gas but it would not go past 10 mph; the rpms went up but the speedometer would not move; I have not had any other issues with the vehicle after owning it for 5 years with regular maintenance; the brake down occurred at 101,700 miles; the vehicle is currently being repaired at Dodge dealership at a cost of $530

- Warren, MI, USA

Mar 152015

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the electronic throttle body warning light illuminated. The vehicle's speed decreased independently to 20 mph. The contact veered to the emergency lane and shut off the vehicle. The vehicle was able to restart, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Indianannapolis, IN, USA

Apr 242015

Avenger

I went to put my car in park and when I took my foot off the brake the car continued forward. I looked to see if I didn't put the car in park fully and the gear shift is in park however, the gear indicator says the car is still in drive.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Mar 092015

Avenger

I own a 08 Dodge Avenger and had problems with the electronic throttle control system a year ago, I now have problems with a noise under the hood, I've been told it's the pulley to the alternator. I bought my car brand new..if I knew I was going to have this much trouble I would of bought a foreign car. Also my sensor in my tire broke, took my car where I bought the tires, they replaced one sensor for free..I don't know if the other 3 will later break. I would like to get the other 3 replaced for free.

- Bowie, AZ, USA

Feb 282015

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving at approximately 30 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted, but the failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the vehicle needed an oil change and a tune up. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure and the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V152000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 108,000.

- Kearny , NJ, USA

Mar 012011

Avenger

My 2008 Dodge Avenger first exhibited this problem in March 2011. I am the only owner and I bought it new. Especially in wet weather but occasionally in other instances, the engine will shut off but all electrical equipment- the radio, lights, dashboard and A/C will remain on. This occurs when braking at a stop light or slowing to make a turn- usually when at low speed as when pulling into a driveway. I then must put the car in park, turn off the ignition then restart the car and it always restarts immediately. I have talked to the dealership I bought the car at more than once about the issue but they say they cannot recreate the problem and so can't diagnose it, but this issue only occurs periodically in wet conditions so being able to recreate it at the dealership is unlikely. I would estimate it has happened around 15 to 20 times in the past 4 years. I have seen recalls for other Dodge and Chrysler vehicles that sound similar but none for the Avenger. I hope Dodge will issue a recall on this malfunction as it sounds like there are many other people with the same problem. I feel like this could easily cause an accident.

- Groveport, OH, USA

Oct 052012

Avenger 4-cyl

Since we first purchased this vehicle we have had problems with it stalling. At first we thought it was when it got wet but then it happened any time. It stalled out several times while driving on the high way. We have had it to the dealer several times the past few years. They have replaced the pvc valve and the map sensor stating both times this was causing it to stall out even though the light indicates it is the electronic throttle control. The dealer says there are a lot of things that can effect the etc and it is a guessing game unless the light comes on when they have it which of course it didnt. The car is dangerous to drive at this point. It continues to stall and there is no indication as to when it will happen. We could be going 10 miles an hour or 50 miles an hour. On one occasion when I had to have it towed, the tow truck driver showed me under neath that it had been towed before because something was bent. He didnt want me to think he did it. Therefore there were issues with this car before I purchased it. I have emailed Dodge on this matter as there are numerous complaints about this same issue and yet there are no recalls for it. I dont want anyone to be killed in this car so we are hoping the dealer will take it back as a trade. After all they sold it to us in this condition.

- Plains, PA, USA