CarComplaints.com Notes: Consumer Reports road tests has noted deficiencies in the 2012 Avenger with regard to engine noise, acceleration, braking, handling, transmission, fuel economy, driving position and rear visibility. But at least it has a cool marketing campaign ... right?

2012 Dodge Avenger seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Avenger:

2012 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 012016

Avenger

Summary: The vehicles may experience loss of air bag and seat belt pretensioner deployment capability in certain crash events due to a shorting condition resulting in a negative voltage transient that travels to the occupant restraint controller via the front impact sensor wires. Safety risk: The potential loss of air bag and seat belt pretensioner deployment capability in such crash events may increase the risk of injury in a crash.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 012016

Avenger

I received notice stating that there is a current safety recall for : the potential loss of air bag and seat belt pretensioner deployment capability in such crash events may increase the risk of injury in a crash. It was recalled in oct2016 we are in jan2017 and I have yet to hear anything and we have two of these same vehicles. We have young children riding in these vehicles and we commute for work daily. This is a great concern.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Dec 272016

Avenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 50 mph, an unknown animal was hit by the vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an unknown location and was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V668000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000.

- Carrier Mills, IL, USA

Nov 042016

Avenger

I was making a right turn onto a street coming from a parking lot. Because this is a busy street there is a traffic light at this location. I had a green light to turn. Another driver traveling about 40 mph or more in a pick-up truck, ran a red light and slammed directly into my driver side door. My head and my shoulder took the brunt of the impact. My collarbone was fractured at the tip where it connects to my acromion bone, and my car was totaled. None of my airbags, not even the side impact air bags, deployed.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Nov 212016

Avenger

I received a recall notice for the airbags and seat belts in my Avenger. They are saying that the restraints and protective equipment may or may not work properly in the event of an accident. I frequently carry my children and grandchildren in that vehicle. Chrysler is saying that there is no fix for this problem at this time. They are saying that the parts are not even designed - or available, and will not be until the second quarter of next year. I am in contact with Chrysler - and they have offered to pay for a rental vehicle using my credit card - and then reimburse me. However, this could go on for months and months. I do not think that they have properly notified the american public of the dangers of the failure of the safety equipment. I do not think that I should have any responsibility for providing them with my credit card to obtain a safe vehicle when I purchased the vehicle in good faith that it was safe and sound. Please help me.

- Smithville Flats, NY, USA

Oct 282016

Avenger

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Avenger. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V668000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Belcourt, ND, USA

Oct 122016

Avenger

The vehicle was traveling straight forward down a flat three-lane road. The vehicle was going about 45-50 miles per hour. The driver fell asleep and it crossed two lanes and rolled multiple times down a 30 foot embankment. It came to a rest right side up. None of the airbags deployed despite extensive damage resulting in a total loss of the vehicle. In the six months prior to this there was intermittent electrical problems affecting interior lighting and power window functioning that couldn't be identified.

- Longview, WA, USA

Sep 022015

Avenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle had an inactive head restraint and the head restraint unit needed to be rewired. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 13V282000 (air bags, electrical system), but the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 77,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 042016

Avenger

Air bag light stayed on. Took car in for N38 safety recall didnot fix problem. Charged$135 for diagnostic which said bad orc module. Found out that Dodge replaced the orc on 2011 model and the 2012 of other models but not Avenger. Other people complain of same defect now they want 565 to fix

- Haymarket, VA, USA

Jun 292016

Avenger

Airbag light comes on intermittently. Dealership corrected problem in August 2015 and it came back on June 2016. Was told the work will not be covered by Dodge. I looked up a recall for 2012 Dodge Avenger air bags but was told this recall does not apply to my vehicle. Occurs when car is stationary and in motion on all terrains. Light will turn off occasionally and then turn back on.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

May 022016

Avenger

My passenger airbag light comes on an off no matter if anyone is in the seat or not. Took my car to Dodge was told theres no recall yet I looked up my car in front of the service guy showed him the information he told me that wasn't true I would have to pay for my car to be check. Also my windshield wipers come on when they want to yet there's a recall for that as well an service continue to say the information not true. Do they just not wont to fix it. Both are so to the totally integrated power module (tipm), which is a control modual that needs to be replaced.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Jun 282016

Avenger

Consistent intermittent failure of driver's headrest airbag. Service center cannot determine a fix. Issue occurs when vehicle is in motion or stationary on all road types and weather.

- Edmond, OK, USA

May 262016

Avenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Avenger. When the contact attempted to start the vehicle, the air bag light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed nor repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V282000 (air bags, electrical system) and stated that the part needed for the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 94,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Apr 282015

Avenger

I took my car to the Dodge dealership to be diagnose because of windshield wiper not working properly. When wipers are turn on they would randomly stop out of no where then take several seconds sometimes minutes before coming back on, the diagnostic came back internal short in tipm. I've noticed in many research online there has been many recalls and problem regarding tipm from Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler. Also I've had shortage in my power window not wanting to work but will eventually start again and air bag light is on all those could be related to the bad tipm. The first time I'd noticed the windshield wiper not working I was driving home from work on a raining night on the park way doing 65mph with a semi truck in front of me then out of no where the windshield wipers got stuck in the middle of the windshield I could not see because it was raining kind of hard so I had to drive 20mph with my emergency flashes on because I was less then a half of mile from my exit then I pulled over at the first store off the exit. The other scenario with the windows not rolling down I was on my way to the doctor my driver side window was down when I pulled up to the parking lot it wouldn't roll back up after I left the doctor I got home 5 hours later I decided to give it another try it was working find. My air bag light has been on for about 4months now and I've notice there's been recalls on my vehicle about the air bag.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Apr 052016

Avenger 4-cyl

Car has only 50,000 miles and have had to replace rack and pinion seven months ago. Now the clock spring is bad in steering resulting in borrowed time for air bag. So, if we do not replace this for the cost of $500, my air bag will not deploy in the event of an accident, resulting in possible death. This issue needs to be looked at as soon as possible with Dodge Avengers (2012). There should be no reason my steering wheel should have this many issues starting at 35,000 miles and still continuing. If an air bag does not deploy upon impact and myself, or my child, or someone dies as a result of the faulty clock spring and air bags, it will not be a very good situation. This issue needs to be looked at immediately. My car is currently at the Dodge auto shop and I purchased an extended warranty from mastertech when I purchased the vehicle, but apparently, my warranty does not cover air bags. This is something I feel that needs to be covered on all warranties, people's lives are worth covering. Please look into this safety issue with my car, and others as soon as possible. Thank you.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Mar 182016

Avenger

The air bag warning light illuminated. Few days later began hearing a clicking under the dashboard behind the glove box. Received notice for recall. Due to location nearest Dodge dealership is 2 hours away. Decided to wait. A short time later, the car began to lose power briefly intermittently. Once again, due to location decided to wait. Two days ago the car stalled completely while traveling at 45 miles per hour. No steering, no brakes, nothing. Scared me. Trying to find someone locally to look at it. Today it died in the middle of a very busy intersection. Once again, coming to the intersection the car dropped below 1,000 rpms and then dies.

- Ridgecrest, CA, USA

Mar 132016

Avenger

My airbag light came on and I took it in for service and the light went off but now its been back on for months and also the passenger window has not been working, its been stationary and I was out of town when it happened.

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Dec 102015

Avenger

I was in accident the brakes failed during hard braking. I hit the brake pedal so hard I bent the pedal assembly. The seatbelt restraints didn't lockup and threw me forward so I hit my head on the roof line the point of impact was the sun visor. The airbags did not deploy and I hit the steering wheel with my chest. I hit the car in front of me when the brakes failed the car keep rolling to the point of impact with the Cadillac escalade my car went under his bumper so the car had to dive down just to roll under his car. The driver in the vehicle was not hurt. I would up with a small concussion and my right foot is still in pain.

- Belton, TX, USA

Oct 252015

Avenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated.the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 13V282000 (air bags, electrical system) but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the air bag warning light remained illuminated after the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 1/15/16

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Sep 102015

Avenger

Air bag light just came on for no reason.something is wrong with that

- Tucson, AZ, USA