CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Dodge Caliber has all kinds of suspension problems at relatively low mileage: typically 40-50,000 miles.

The most commonly reported problems are with ball joints & control arms going bad. Tie rods & leaking struts are also reported failing in the same mileage range.

Unfortunately all the suspension problems means some owners only find out after they notice their tires are ruined.

We've given the 2007 Caliber our worst rating because these problems happen at such low mileage, & it involves a wide range of apparently defective parts. With most other cars, major suspension work is pretty rare under 50,000 miles.

9.3

$2,400.00

1. replace the transmission (5 reports)
  3. transmission replacement at 56018 miles (1 reports)
2007 Dodge Caliber transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Caliber:

2007 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments

May 212012

Caliber 2.0L V4

I heard a grinding noise while accelerating and took it to the dealership immediately. They said I have to replace the transmission. I only have 56018 Miles on my car and only use it to drive to and from work and to the stores in my area. I shouldn't have to replace a transmission at 56018 so I called 800-583-1403 and made a complaint. They gave me Case #22249450 and I am awaiting a call back.

When searching the Chrysler site, I looked for Recalls on this issue and they said there are none. But when searching the sites such as this one, I found tons of people complaining about this. Most have Extended Warranties to cover the cost, unfortunately I do not. I am hoping that Chrysler will do a Recall on this transmission and cover the costs since so many are complaining. If you have this issue, please make sure you call in a complaint to Chrysler so that a Recall will be issued.

- , Plantation, FL, US Minor Outlying Islands

Jun 202013

Caliber SXT 2.0L

• CVT transmission

Horrible car, avoid at all cost... a total POS

The car ran ok for a while, but started slipping shortly after buying it. Knowing Dodge has crappy transmissions I opted for the extended warranty.

- , Van Buren, AR, USA

Aug 282013

Caliber SXT 2.0L

We bought this car brand new off the lot it had 65 km on it. There is 79000 km on it now and the past few weeks it has been making clicking and rubbing noises. Took it to the dealership and found out that the car needs a new transmission and it will cost approx $4000.00. The warranty ran out 5 months ago and the dealership is refusing to help because we had the maintenance services performed at a different approved business. As we are pensioners we were hoping this car would last much longer that this. I am sick and tired of the dealership getting away with this ever common problem. I have read many reviews and am absolutely convinced that this issue needs to be a recall. Shame on Dodge Chrysler for not rectifying this issue. I will never buy or refer anyone to Dodge Chrysler Again.

- , Kamloops, British Columbia, canada

Apr 042013

Caliber SE 1.8L

• CVT transmission

I bought my car in 2008 and its a 2007 brand new off the lot. the 1st 8 months the top half of the motor had to be replaced, then came the tie rod ends, then came the power steering pump. now at 170,000 km my transmissions gone the power train warranty just expired On March 13,2013. 5 year warranty I think. Dodge should stand beside their products if a persons paying 22,000 dollar s when all is said and done with 6 years of payments don't you think the flipping cart should last longer then 5 years. im pissed that I still have a year of car payments and im stuck with this piece of well you know... right out of the factory this car has been nothing but a lemon. its nice of dodge to at least take notice of all the problems these cars are having.. signed pissed off so I pay for another year and I do not have a car to drive WAY TO GO DODGE!!!! YOU SUCK I SHOULD OF LISTENED TO MY FRIENDS

- , Coronation, Alberta, Canada

Aug 242012

Caliber

• CVT transmission

This is the SECOND time that this car has had a transmission failure. The first was about 80K miles ago. Most miles on this car are highway miles. The first time we paid out-of-pocket for the new transmission and got a 100K, 3 year warranty. We just made it under warranty this time with 30 days to spare. I would NOT recommend the Chrysler/Dodge CVT transmissions to anyone. I will trade the car now before it can go out again. I'll not buy another Chrysler/Dodge vehicles ever.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Aug 022012

Caliber AWD 2.9L

i have nothing but problems since new and cant sell.id take to big of loss rt awd all options 25500 dollar car was offered 8000 when 3yrs old with 40000 miles

- , Pleasant K, MI, USA

Nov 012011

Caliber 2.0L

I bought this car 6 months ago used. The warranty on the trans just expired. While my daughter was driving the car in another city 2.5 hours away from home...on her way home the car just shut off on the freeway. She had to get over to the shoulder and wait for a while. It then started again, she drove and it shut off again. She finally made it back to her sisters house (not home) and took the car in. By the way, she had both her young children in the car when this happened. It took her 5 hours to finally make it back to her sisters which was less than 20 minutes where this happened. She had no money to get a tow truck...so she waited and got the car back. When this happened, this could have potentially been fatal...on the freeway...with my grandchildren. We were informed by the diagnostic tests the transmission needed replaced. We just happened to find one for 1100 (which is cheap compared to others) and the auto shop will put it in. This car is a piece of junk! We paid 8900 for a used vehicle we already have to put 2,000 into! There is no reason a transmission should give out in 6 months at 98000 miles. I'm furious and feel Dodge should recall/pay for this. From what I'm reading, I'm not the first.

- , Au Gres, MI, USA

Apr 011998

Caliber 2.0L

• CVT transmission

The 2007 dodge caliber will either shut off or accelerate while driving. If it shuts off you have to disconnect the battery cables for the car to start. The check engine codes indicate transmission problems but since it is a CVT transmission nobody will touch it. It is the worst car I have ever seen or heard and I have worked in an Auto Parts store for over 20 years and I will never buy a Chrysler or Dodge again. It is the scariest car to drive since you do not know what will happen next.

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 192009

Caliber LX 3.2L

• CVT transmission

I BOUGHT A 2007 DODGE CALIBER AND JUST A YEAR AFTER BUYING IT I HAD TO REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION AND I WAS TOLD THIS WAS A COMMON PROBLEM WITH THIS CAR. DODGE SERIOUSLY NEEDS TO DO A RECALL ON THESE PIECES OF CRAP.

- , Hartsfield, GA, USA