2008 Dodge Caliber suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Caliber:

2008 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Feb 032015

Caliber 4-cyl

A technician stated front cradle (connects steering, suspension, etc parts) is rotted & requires replacement. Called Chrysler (800-247-9763) and inquired about Chrysler action # 23-012-14, they stated they extend warranty for repairs on 2007's but would not cover my 2008 Dodge caliper. This issue is a serious safety concern. The car is in good shape & I feel this is defective product and should be covered by Chrysler/Dodge. I need assistance in having this very expensive repair covered in full.

- Hamburg, NY, USA

Apr 252015

Caliber 4-cyl

I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber. I wash and maintain it on a regular basis. This car has a terrible suspension since it was new, I have had to replace both front control arms because of the rear bushings and loose ball joints, one at 32,000 miles. Both rear upper control arms and rear links. It is an alignment nightmare. I took it to the local garage for an alignment after I changed some parts this morning and the back of the subframe is rotted out. The car isn't 6 years old and the body still looks great. I called Dodge and they said they have never heard of this problem and wouldn't commit to a bulletin #23-012-14, that covered 2007.

- Wickliffe, OH, USA

Apr 032015

Caliber 4-cyl

Front crossmember frame rusted through. Car is not safe and cannot be driven. Car belongs to our daughter who is a single mother and was just paid off. She cannot afford this repair. After finding many complaints on the internet, we called Chrysler and only some of these Calibers qualified for repair (free). Not sure why our car is not included. This is also a problem on the Jeep compass. It would seem that a frame would last longer than 6-7 years.

- Baldwinsville, NY, USA

Aug 252014

Caliber 4-cyl

When I got an oil change, the mechanic did an inspection and said the ball joints and tie rods should be replaced as they were showing wear and play. When he let the car down and saw the mileage was 26,700 he said that the parts should not have gone bad unless I was off roading the car. The car is driven 4 miles round trip on paved maintained roads daily at 30 mph. And on occasionally at expressway speeds of 55mph. I took it to the Dodge dealer who said there is no recall or known complaints on this vehicle. I bought the car new in 2007 when they came out.

- Darien, IL, USA

Jul 082014

Caliber

My vehicle won't stay aligned. And now it has a bad jerk in it. You can be going 10 mph or 50 mph and it still jerks you to the left. You can feel it in the steering wheel. We have put new tires on it so many times. We have bought tierods for it and nothing seems to be helping it.

- Paynesville, WV, USA

May 282014

Caliber

Ball joint separation on the drivers side.

- Smithtown, NY, USA

Oct 192013

Caliber

Have issues with both front struts, both ball joints, and both inner and outer tie rods. While driving you can feel shaking and vibrations. Also steering is starting to become bad because of this issue. There needs to be a recall on this before an accident occurs and someone gets seriously injured or killed.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Nov 112013

Caliber 4-cyl

Front lower ball joint assembly and outer tie rod very bad affecting steering and handling. Shimmies on the highway, could be difficult to control. Mechanic recommends a trip to the dealer immediately since I did buy extended warranty.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Aug 172012

Caliber

I was on my way to work and drove approximately 5 minutes. As I was making a left turn to approach the entrance of the exressway, the car starting swerving and screeching and during my manuvering and engaging of the brakes, it came to a holt. The left driver's side axle had snapped and the tire was side-ways. I had to get the car towed to my mechanic, who stated that in all his years in his profession he has never seen anything like that. The axle which is made of steel was broken in half. Thank god I was able to safely manuver it without crashing into something, it was quite a scary experience. If I would have experienced this occurrence on the highway, it would have been a fatal accident. This is not the only incident I have had with this car, please refer to my other submissions for this car.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jul 232012

Caliber 4-cyl

At 41000 miles, our 4 year old vehicle, should not have needed new ball joints. Research tells me Dodge has been very aware of a problem for years, but have not done any type of a recall. All I can say is thank god we found the problem before we went to the mountains.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jun 222012

Caliber 4-cyl

The ball joints have prematurely worn out on our 2008 Dodge Caliber. At 40,000 miles I also had to replace the tie rod ends and the brake pads.

- Findlay, OH, USA

Jul 152010

Caliber

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that while driving, the vehicle made a clucking noise. The vehicle was taken to the local mechanic. The failure was located at the rear tie rod and strut having defective material. The ignition also failed and could not be turned. The rear tie rod strut and ignition was replaced. The vehicle was repaired but continued exhibiting a noise from the rear. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 74,176.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Jan 082012

Caliber 4-cyl

Both front and rear suspension-struts/shocks leaking and both need to be replaced-mechanic stated they have replaced so many suspensions on these vehicles, they cant keep parts instock.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Dec 072011

Caliber

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that while the tires were being rotated by a private mechanic, the mechanic advised that steel was showing through both front tires. The mechanic attributed the failure to the front lower control arms, which has failed. The manufacturer was contacted but the vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and the current mileages were 60,000.

- Amboy, IN, USA

Oct 152011

Caliber

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caliber. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact noticed a knocking coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle. The contact inspected the vehicle and found that the ball joints needed to be replaced. The contact was unable to purchase the ball joints separately. The front passenger side control arm and ball joints were replaced. The contact stated that the control arm and ball joints had to be replaced on both the front driver and passenger sides because the tire was wearing rapidly and the knocking noise was still heard. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Bunker, MO, USA

Apr 152011

Caliber 4-cyl

There is a serious growling road noise coming from the wheel bearings. If you check "car forums and automotive chat" there is a fix under chat labeled "stwsti" date 10-19-2008... I feel this is a serious enough problem for Dodge to recall these vehicles or at least to notify owners of the problem of bearing failure at highway speeds...

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Aug 282010

Caliber 4-cyl

I recently purchased this vehicle about three months ago with aircheck. Little did I know I was buying a more defective car than I originally had. About a week ago my A/C goes to crap I ask the dealership to fix it and all he says is I know a guy that can fix it for you for alittle charge. And to top it off the A/C goes out on the hottest freaking day of the month. Then my engine makes this rattling noise my freaking radio doesn't accept cd's what kind of whole did I get my self into. And for this car to be a 4 cylinder it drinks gas as if it where a V8.

- Rosenberg, TX, USA

Aug 052010

Caliber

At around 35000 miles is when this started: When I would slow down I would notice that it felt like my driver front tire would wobble, this went on for a while, and no one could figure out what it was, blamed it on bad tires. I even took it to my dealership because my warranty was going to be up soon and asked them to look over everything and they never found anything. So I got new tires and it would still sometimes seem to wobble but it wasn't consistent. Fast forward to this summer (2011) I start to notice that it is really bad pulling out of my works driveway turning left so I think my shocks are going bad. Also I start to notice that when I start moving again from a stop it seems like the car has a little jerk. So I go to get my oil changed and tires rotated (different places) and at the dealership for the oil they fill out a little inspection sheet, only thing marked is a bad air filter. Shocks are good they said. Time to change the brakes too, so I buy some with the air filter and tell my husband when he is changing them to please look good because something is not right. Well, he finds out that he can completely move the whole wheel assembly on its own! so I take it to a local shop and both lower ball joints are bad and maybe a tire rod! at approx 48,000 miles (current) this is ridiculous!!! so call Dodge dealership and out of warranty so... unless we bring it down and all these other instructions they might be able to pay for some of it. Not driving the vehicle 45 miles when the wheels might snap off and for them to most likely say "too bad"! after seeing how many people have the same problem something is obliviously wrong with the design of the Caliber, and for Dodge to do nothing, we will never even consider a Dodge, or maybe even a Chrysler (never had issues with past Jeep) again!

- Clarksville, OH, USA

Apr 012011

Caliber

The front tires were vibrating and my steering wheel was shaking, so I thought the tires needed balancing. I brought the car into a Firestone dealership and they told me the front right strut was blown out and had to be replaced. They said that this was a safety issue, and that struts help hold the wheels to the road. Also, my friend who is an ase certified mechanic checked the strut and he verified that the strut was broken.

- West Suffield, CT, USA

Apr 142011

Caliber

I have replaced alternator, drive belt, ball joints, wheel bearings, tire rods on my 2008 Dodge. It is making a horrible noise now under the hood. I am one of many who have this same issue.

- Columbus, OH, USA