2006 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 3 of 14)

Mar 032014

My vehicle began shutting off while idle about about a year ago. It started back up immediately and I was able to continue driving. Initially there were no check engine lights that came up. It soon happened again and this time the check engine light came on. I took it to Firestone and they pulled some codes that they said the dealer had to repair. By the time I got to the dealer the lights went off and I shared the other diagnostic with them but they were unable to determine what was really wrong. It started happening again months later and I took it to yet another mechanic. This mechanic 'reset the computer" and made the check engine lights turn off. It stopped for a time but the problem came back. This time (140,000 miles) the engine shut off on the highway! I was slightly tapped on the rear by the driver behind me. Another time a semi truck was behind me and I stalled. Luckily we were in slow moving traffic. Again at high speeds the engine would turn back on but this is very dangerous. I am afraid to drive my baby in this vehicle. There are a ton of similar complaints on Dodge forums with these vehicles. Dodge needs to fix this before someone gets hurt or dies!!!

- Charlotte, NC, USA

May 152015

I was driving around with some friends one night and stopped to talk to them for a minute. I drove around the block and turned the car off. When I went to start the car, it wouldn't start and when it finally did, it shook violently and shut off. It turns out that the car dropped a valve seat and ruined the motor of the car. Upon further research this is a very common problem in the 5.7 hemi in the Chargers. I have several friends that have had the exact same issue with their Charger.

- Coalville, UT, USA

Jun 102015

Car wouldn't start after three tries. Sounded like something blew up the first time I tried starting it. Had car towed to Dodge. It was there a week before they looked at. They called us on a Wednesday said the head gasket was blown was gonna cost $4500 to fix. Then they called back on a Friday said the pistons werent' getting any oil, engine, need to replace engine. Now it's gonna cost $8,000. How you go from $4500 to $8000 in a matter of two days"?"

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jun 102015

Drove to a dentist appointment, came out, started car, it made a loud boom then shut down. Tried starting again, no bueno, wouldn't start. Had it towed to a Dodge dealership. They say oil is not going into the pistons. Cylinder is shot, needs new engine. It's been sitting at the shop for over a month now. Really...a new engine that's gonna cost me $8,000 no warning, no sensors....nothing! just had car service a few months prior

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jul 172015

While driving on the highway in traffic at approximately 70 mph the car stalled with no check engine light or engine misfire/stuttering. The stall was as if the key was turned to the off position. The car coasted to the side of the road, restart was attempted and the car started perfectly, I continued to drive. The car stalled again after a few miles, restarted and it stalled again - this continued, each time with the time driven being less. All this time the check engine light did not illuminate. I finally made it to a shop where the car was diagnosed and the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor was replaced. This did not solve the stalling issue. The car will have the PCM replaced in hope that this will solve the problem. This is a very unsafe failure especially when traveling at high speeds - the car loses all power and is very difficult to move into the shoulder when it stalls (no power steering). This is a very serious safety concern that can be catastrophic.

- Haslet, TX, USA

Mar 142014

Charger 8-cyl

First time it shut down on me I was at stop light going to work in leland nc. The other time it shut down on me I put gas in the car in charlotte nc. I was away from home.the system shut can't want crank.I was in the middle of the street on my way to work in leland the first time. Leaving the gas station the second time shut down at the light again.

- Riegelwood, NC, USA

Mar 032015

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. While driving at any speed, the check engine warning light remained illuminated. The failure recurred daily. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, two months after the repair, the failure recurred and the engine was replaced a second occasion but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,152.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 212015

Driving about 60 mph on highway. Noticed it was driving rough. Took it to my friends house where it started smoking. Parked it and had it towed to shop. They say piston #4 broke, cylinder is shot, needs new engine.

- Bonney Lake, WA, USA

Oct 112014

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving at 15 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle; however, the oil pressure warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to multiple independent mechanics who were unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Arleta, CA, USA

Jun 092015

10 minutes after filling up the car completely died no power steering, no power brakes no lights. Car restarted then died a second time. Brakes and steering are a major safety hazard under these conditions.

- North Aurora, IL, USA

May 152015

Vehicle just died from premature engine failure at 5 mph at 515am on a Friday.

- Gilbert , AZ, USA

May 232015

My car is shutting off while driving causing unsafe driving conditions. I have checked numerous forums and many people are having this same issue. This could result in a fatality. I was driving and my car just shut off the power steering went out I was not able to start the care again until I got it back in park. It has happened 2 times now.

- Lakeside, CA, USA

May 202015

Note: I am documenting my most recent date of incident because there have been so many inconsistent, unpredictable incidences to recall the first. These issues have gone on for probably at least 3 months now. Today while waiting at a stop light, my car died as light turned green and I got ready to go. I was still in idle/ no acceleration. I put the vehicle in park and attempted to start. I was able to get it started and moving before the light changed but not soon enough. I even put flashers on so drivers behind me would know I wasn't getting anywhere on first attempt at moving. (this occurred 2 days prior while waiting in line of traffic---twice in the parking lot. On Sunday it died at least 5 times while waiting in long line of traffic/congested parking lot after an event.) once I arrived at my destination tonight, I decided to check for code and got none. Then after idling about 5 minutes it died. I again started it and let it idle. It died again. I did this a few more times with same result in even less idle time. I did notice that the last time showed the check engine light and the oil light. I'm not sure if this is part of the fuel tank issue for which I got a recall letter last may or not. This is getting frustrating. (by the way, I have a half tank of gas. I haven't refueled in a few days.) prior to this random stalling it would 'hiccup' during acceleration. The RPM's would plummet and a chime would go off. This lasted maybe a second and then returned to normal. Some hiccups have been mild while others were jerky. When I talked to Dodge service dept about hiccup they didn't think this was fuel tank issue. Fortunately, both problems aren't occurring at same time but both have been frustrating. The hiccups haven't occurred since the dieing started. I am frustrated and concerned about our safety.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Apr 102014

I was coming home from work and I was going between 50 to 55 mph on the bay bridge and I felt the car shake and then started making a raddleing kind of noise like it was over heating the temputer gage shoot up and then a noise like the air let out of a tire and then my car started smoking and then it cut off and not start up again and when it did start it would cut rite off and this was the 2nd engine and it did the same thing before and the engine is still under warrty. I only had this 2nd engine 2 yrs and 5 mo. And now I need a new engine and ive been online and seeing other people with the same problems with their 2006 Dodge Charger hemi motors

- San Leandro, CA, USA

Jan 062015

Charger 8-cyl

While driving from point a to point B approximately 17 miles, this vehicle stalled 7 times. Mostly stalling while at a light it has increased to while driving as well. One time specific in the middle of an intersection causing a back up in traffic and near accident. While understanding this issue has mainly been investigated and reported after fill up, this instance is not. This is a daily issue that demands attention. Mechanical techs cannot figure out what the problem is even after replacing the engine and transmission. According to my research this apparently has happen enough without resolution but how many close calls are going to turn to fatalities before something is done? it shouldn't have to come to injuries or worse for this common problem to be resolved. Thank you for your time.

- Williamston, SC, USA

Mar 122015

Charger 8-cyl

After refueling car intermittently began stalling and ultimately died upon coming to a stop. Engine did restart but continued to stall and until destination reached approximately 6 miles. No further incidents until roughly two months later when exactly the same problem occurred under same circumstances. Had just refueled and engine stalled repeatedly at speeds of up to 60mph then died when stopped at stop sign. Engine restarted and continued to stall until residence reached.

- Soulsbyville, CA, USA

Apr 192015

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that there was a loud knocking sound coming from the engine. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic and it was determined that two of the engine cylinders needed to be replaced. The failure caused the check engine light to illuminate on the instrument. The contact also stated that the engine ran hot and it was determined that it was because of pressure building in the radiator and a leak in the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 032012

Charger 8-cyl

After refueling, the vehicle stalls and runs rough. Usually requires restarting a couple of times before it eventually smoothes out. Has stalled several times while on freeway after refueling nearly causing an accident. Have been experiencing problem every time vehicle is refueled for the past 2-3 years. Problem is becoming more serious.

- Applegate, CA, USA

Dec 182013

Driving at 65 mph on the freeway, the vehicle began to shudder/ hesitate, there was so much white smoke from my vehicle that I could not see anything behind me in my rear view mirror. I had to have the vehicle loaded onto a flat bed tow truck. The number 3 valve seat had dropped out and smashed holes in the piston, the debris had pummeled the cylinder head. The debris had then been sucked back into the inlet manifold, the debris was deposited into number 1 and 2 cylinders pummeling the head of the pistons and cylinder heads. There were actually shards of metal embedded in the cylinder head. The vehicle is next to worthless at this time. The vehicle is a limited addition daytona and cost about $35K new. I have been dealing with Dodge for more than a year as this is a design fault and appears to be quite common. Dodge refuses to do anything about it. I spoke to an executive of Dodge with the title of head of top care customer care for Fiat Chrysler automobiles on 4/9/2015, her statement "you should not expect much more than 100,000 miles from any vehicle". really wants you to go and buy a Chrysler product, I have owned 5 of their vehicles in 15 years, never again.

- West Covina, CA, USA

Sep 102014

Charger 8-cyl

I filled up with gas in California when on vacation. I pulled out of the gas station and onto the freeway. About a minute after merging and getting up to speed the entire car shut off. No power, no power steering, completely died. I had to merge through two lanes of highway traffic at highway speeds to get out of the flow of traffic. Car was able to restart after putting it in park and waiting several minutes. Huge safety concern having the vehicle completely shut off on me. I have had four other instances of this happen to me. The other times I was on side streets or in the parking lot waiting for the car to die.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA