9.3

$5,477.00

1. needs a new motor (28 reports)
  3. rebuild motor (5 reports)
2006 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 102013

Charger Interceptor 5.7L

The Dodge engine designers for their aluminum heads (at least for the ones on my Charger) oughtta be fired!!!

The intake valve seat dropped from # 5 cylinder - shattering the valve seat, damaging the piston, breaking the piston compression rings, contaminating the exhaust system/intake manifold/oil, minor scoring of the cylinder wall, and "chewing up" the compression surface area of the head as relates to #5 cylinder.

Simply put - this is a chronic issue from a poorly designed aluminum head. The different materials related to the head (aluminum - base material, and hardened steel - valve seats) have different expansion rates. Basically, the aluminum expands faster than steel - allowing a looser fit for the valve seat. Since the bore for the OEM valve seats are straight (as in - not wedged) then valve seats have a tendency to slip out, get cocked between the valve and the head - preventing the valve from closing. Since the valve is not fully seated, the piston comes to TDC (Top Dead Center) and physically strikes the valve. This can cause any or all of the initial reactions: broken valve, shattered valve seat, hole in piston. Secondary trouble: broken piston, broken piston rings, scored cylinder walls, oil contamination with failed material, contaminated/clogged catalytic converter, contaminated exhaust piping, failed O2 sensor, and more.

The damage to the head was minor enough that I was able to grind and polish the damaged area. I had the head pressure tested and checked for cracks by a local auto machinist. He replaced the valves for #5 cylinder and all the seals and reseated all the valves. When he replaced the valve seats, he milled them to "wedge" into the seat socket so it would essentially be impossible for them to fall out again.

I've read many other complaints - not just here.

- , Petaluma, CA, USA

May 162014

Charger Daytona R/t 5.7L Hemi

one Friday evening me the wife & son went out for supper. after that we was going to Wal-Mart but we forgot something @ home so I drove home shut the car off waiting on the wife. she gets in the car I go to start the car & bam sounded like a hammer beating inside the engine. it would not start so I let it cool down some. it started but it was knocking smoking got it in the garage .i knew what it was internal problem BAD one! i am disabled so I have no money to get it fixed.it has sat in the garage for months until my brother let me borrow the money to fix it. now im trying to pay him back. ive been a dodge man for a long time & still am. dodge should get off their butt & fix the problem & reimburse all the dodge owners out there cause this has really set me back, money wise that is!

- , Spruce Pine, NC, USA

Aug 282014

Charger R/T 5.7L Hemi

In 2006 I was proud to own a high horse power sedan A R/T model with 355 horse power until the day of 8/28/2014 when my wife called me from work and said the motor sounds like a Diesel engine. When I tried to start it, mind you I was telling my brother how good this car has been the night before. Had it towed to my great mechanic, he tried to start the car, hard starting and when it did he shut it down and these were his words INTERNAL FAILURE.

I said how can a new aged auto mobile with 84000 miles have a blown motor, are you listening Dodge? He said these words, "it is common for the 5.7 Hemi Motor to fail". Why was the question? He said because the oiling holes for the rocker bearings are not large enough starving the bearings of oil thus over heating the every bearing. What he did suggest was to get the upgrades, bore out the oiling holes so bearings get lots of oil to them.

So if anyone plans on getting a new motor you are wasting your hard earned money on more junk, rebuild the motor with the up grades and shame on Dodge for not taking care of the hand that feeds them. In closing, will not buy another Dodge product but will have their screw up fixed as I do like the room and horse power.

- , Barstow, CA, USA

Aug 102014

Charger RT 5.6L

The car had run really well and then one day I stopped by a friends home and when I went to leave the engine did not want to start and when it did start it sounded like a diesel engine and would not stay running. I had to have the car towed home and then towed to a shop. The mechanic has told me that the #1cylinder has a broken piston or valve and that the engine needs to be replaced. The repair will cost over $6,000.00. I have found that this is a very common issue Dodge should pay for this repair as this is putting me in extreme financial hardship as I am disabled with no income at this time. Dodge knows that this problem exists and has done nothing I may well lose my car because of this. Thank you dodge

Update from Aug 31, 2014: Well now my car has a new engine and all I have to do now is come up with about $6,500.00 to pay the shop and I'll able to drive!!!!! Crysler should be covering this expence!!!!!

- , San Bernadino, California, USA

Jun 072014

Charger RT

2006 Charger with 62,000 and the Hemi engine blows up! Car was well taken care of including scheduled maintenance and oil changes.

- , Bloomington, California, USA

Jun 302014

Charger RT 5.7L V8

Bought a 2006 dodge charger rt for 12k in New Jersey. Biggest mistake of my life. I've put over 12k in the car for stuff breaking. I've had my radiator replaced 3 times. I had an engine transplant at 92k miles I'm at 106k now and getting another engine transplant...... Never buy a 2006 charger ever biggest waste of money.

- , Alexandria, VA, USA

Jun 262014

Charger RT 5.7L

I was running errands and stopped by a store for no more than 15 minutes. When I returned and tried to start my car it sounded like a diesel truck starting which resulted in it stalling seconds afterwards. I tried to start the car again with the same result. I called a tow truck and had the car towed to my dealership. Expecting to hear the problem was a crankshaft position sensor or start module issue was not at all what I received as a response. The dealer explained the #4 piston had fractured and the top of the piston actually separated and damaged the cylinder wall and cylinder head. I could not believe what he was telling me as it was running perfect before I had turned it off?

My car has 170,000Kms on it and quite frankly was a very reliable car and pleasure to drive. I was actually considering buying a new Challenger 392 the week before this happened as my car produced awesome power and was so reliable. I am now glad I did not buy the SRT8 the week before as this seems to be a very common Hemi issue which Dodge seems to be ignoring and not correcting and compensate those of us who have trusted in their product. This problem is now costing me $5,800.00 to install a rebuilt engine. From the sounds of it a class action lawsuit should be launched from the number of people dealing with this issue.

- , Langley, BC, Canada

Jun 212014

Charger RT 5.7L

AT 68000 MILES I WAS DRIVING ON THE FREEWAY AND MY CAR STARTED RUNNING REALLY ROUGH AND SOUNDED LIKE MARBLES IN THE ENGINE, I WAS ABLE TO MAKE IT HOME. I CALLED THE DEALER THEY CAME AND PICKED IT UP. THEY TOLD ME ONE OF THE VALVES DROPPED DAMAGING THE ENGINE, LUCKILY IT WAS UNDER WARRANTY AND THEY REPLACED THE ENGINE.

NOW ON THE NEW ENGINE AT 72000 MILES THE SAME THING HAPPENED EXCEPT IT HAPPENED WHEN I STARTED THE CAR. AFTER CONTACTING DODGE THEY PRETTY MUCH TOLD ME I'M SH*T OUT OF LUCK, THAT THERE IS NOTHING THEY COULD DO FOR ME THAT I'M ON MY OWN FOR THE COST OF REPLACING THE ENGINE. I CAN SEE THERE IS REALLY A PROBLEM WITH THIS HAPPENING WITH THIS ENGINE TO OTHERS. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DODGE VEHICLE AGAIN, THANKS TO DODGE CORPORATION NOT CARING ABOUT THE LITTLE GUY AND NOT STANDING BEHIND THEIR CARS KNOWING THEY ARE HAVING PREMATURE ENGINE FAILURE. THANKS DODGE FOR NOTHING.

- , Azusa, CA, USA

Jul 282014

Charger ES 3.5L V6

I bought my 2006 Dodge Charger 3.5L V6 new in May 2006. I absolutely loved this car until summer of 2009 just after my warranty expired, my gear shifter stuck in the park position and had to have it towed. I called Dodge to see if there was a recall on this problem after reading about so many other people that had same issue. Was told NO, I paid to have it fixed somewhere around $450-500.

On Monday I had to have my car towed because it broke down on my way home from work. It sounded like the car was going to explode like in a cartoon. It was making knocking noises and sounded like a diesel truck. Mechanic told me that my engine was shot. How could this be? My car has 67,716 miles on it!!! Very low mileage for a 2006 vehicle. I was proud of this until I found out that my car is now worth nothing!

Called Dodge and asked if there was a recall on the engine problem. I read of many, many other people having this same issue. NO recall, but if I can have it towed to an approved Dodge dealer and get a diagnosis from their mechanic, call back. I was given a claim # from Dodge HQ.

I have an insurance adjuster going out tomorrow morning to assess the damage and the problem. I will keep everyone updated. I am furious! I spent a lot of money on this car and it should last more than 67k miles!

Update from Aug 5, 2014: Update: 8/5/14 Insurance told me that it is a KNOWN COMMON issue with the Dodge Charger and because of this, there are not many recycled engines available or if they are found, it might have same issue as mine did. Adjuster said that it was a pressure leak that only happens while driving causing the filter to expand and oil to leak. My engine is beyond repair!

I called Dodge HQ again and was told that there are NO recalls on my vehicle after checking my VIN#. Also told me they will not help me. They told me I can file a complaint with NTSHA. Meanwhile I am taking the bus. NOT a happy camper!

- , Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Mar 222014

Charger RT 5.7L

2006 Charger r/t 5.7. dropped valve seat # 4 cylinder at 68,000 miles. Got it repaired at my cost $3200. It happened again 14 months later at 82,000. # 6 cylinder broke piston and ruined the motor. Dodge should be sued for this, way too many people had this same issue for a 38,000 car. You would think Dodge would want to make it right. Will never by another Dodge again.

- , Scottes@yahoo.Com, CA, USA

Aug 302013

Charger 2.7L V6

I was driving my car from work like any normal night when all of sudden my car shut off and would not start back up. Eventually I called my insurance to have it towed home since after 11pm. The next morning I have my car towed to Dodge to be informed that engine had blown. My car gave me no indication or signs at all before this happen.

The dealership informed me that the engine was blown due to oil sludge. I am very angry especially since Dodge only has changed my oil and I was not told about this earlier. My cousin has a Dodge Charger as well and engine blown 8 months before mine for the same reason. When I told this to the dealership they told me I shouldn't believe everything I hear.

I will never buy a car from Dodge again.

- , Miramar, FL, USA

Jul 102013

Charger RT 5.7L

Valve seat dropped on top of piston. Common issue said machine shop. They have fixed over 100! Either rebuild heads or replace engine depending on damage to cylinder wall.

- , Arcadia, CA, USA

Sep 042013

Charger RT 5.7L Hemi

I'll never own another dodge vehicle for as long as I live! This is absolutely crazy. The service advisor tells me he's never seen or heard of a valve seat falling out of a hemi head. Chryslers corp office hasn't heard of such an issue either. The tech that took the engine apart however....he "sees it all the time". Evidently the techs don't get the same public relations training as the "higher ups". Come on Chrysler, a well cared for engine should last longer than 90K (72 greater doesn't quite get it either). It's going to cost more to put an engine in this car than the car is worth. I don't even know what to do.

- , Bedford, TX, USA

May 262013

Charger LX 5.7L

click to see larger images

premature engine failure premature engine failure

Driving home on an unusually hot spring day and the bells start dinging and lights start flashing. I had my oil changed the previous week. The morning of the problem I heard what I thought was an exhaust leak.

I drive it to the dealer the next morning and leave her there. They tell me it was valve spring failure. They also tell me that some unknown form of debris made its way into the combustion chamber and that it smashed one of the spark plugs through its threads. They claimed to have no knowledge of what could have gotten into the combustion chamber and subsequently destroyed the plug and committed the cylinder head to the scrap heap. After some web browsing I learn that the valve seat integrity is suspect on this motor. Thanks Chrysler, I will never forget!

- , Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Jun 252013

Charger R/T 5.7L

Bought the car with 8500 miles. Only took the car to the dealership for service. One day went to the bank, came out car wouldnt start. When it started it made the worst noise i ever heard. Limped to the dealership to find out the valve seat dropped or something like that, needs a new engine! Lucky i had one month left on my extended warranty! Had just paid the car off last month. Still waiting to get the car back, gonna put another warranty on the car, if anything else happens to this car i am getting rid of it and never looking at another dodge as long as i breath!!!

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Oct 012012

Charger R/T 5.7L V8

My Wife drove the '06' Charger home from work. She stopped at the store and came out less than 10 minutes later. The car wouldn't start. Then when it did, it sounded as if the engine blew up! No prior engine problems or noises. No warning whatsoever. {BTW... it was her Birthday the Day it happened. I guess that this was Dodge's present to her.} I can't believe Dodge won't stand up and fix this!!! As you can tell by the other post on this site, I am not alone. I spoke to "John" and "Jason" at Dodge's "Customer Center". They had the Audacity to tell me that there was nothing that Dodge could do because the age and mileage of my vehicle. Which means, if you buy a Dodge... don't expect it to last for more than 6 years or 95,000 miles! Obviously, Dodge doesn't expect it to! I am embarrassed for Dodge/Chrysler! If someone at Dodge/Chrysler doesn't stand up and take ownership of this problem... I won't ever buy a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep product again!!!! I hope other people in the market for a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep product finds this website before they make a purchase. It can save them Tons of $$$ plus the headache of trying to get around without a car.

- , Ashburn, VA, USA

Jun 052013

Charger RT 5.7L

on my way to work around beltway. before work stopped into McDonald's for Coffee. Came out and tried to start car, would not start. I pressed gas pedal a few times then it started. When it started it made noise and was shaking like crazy. after removing foot from gas pedal while in park it cut off.

I started back up again this time i keep foot on gas so that I could drive next street over to my work parking lot where it cut off again when not in motion. I called tow truck company and sent it to Myers Automotive repair shop in Waldorf Maryland. Guy called back from shop and stated the Cylinder #2 valve had broken and the debris was pushed around and warp the spark plug head. They are saying I need a new motor because this was a known issue with the year and model problem in the engine. Mind you I had to take this in before at 60,000 miles and they replaced both sides of valves because they broke solenoid off and found out the problem was intake valve went bad#4... Car has no 161,000.

This is some BS with Dodge never again. Buyer beware of dodge BS product.

- , Waldorf, MD, canada

Nov 122012

Charger 5.7L V8

Drove car to my office and with no warning the car sounded real bad and it stop on me and couldn't start again. It was very embarrassing that I had to get someone in my office to help me move my car aside so it wouldn't stop the flow of traffic in the parking lot. Now I'm the guy with the broke charger at my pretentious company. I had just paid my car off at 89k miles and once I got over 100k motor failure. I did regular oil changes and had it towed to the shop and found out it would cost me over 7grand for a new motor . So I tried seeking threw Dodge and theirs a back order on the motor . So if there is a back order on the motor how come there isn't a recall on them because of so many people motor gone out on them and have a back order on the motor. I had other cars with over 250k miles and still on the road . I'm driving a 93 z28 Carmelo with 195k miles and running like a champ. I will not ever own another dodge product ever. If I have to pay for another motor I rather sell it as soon as it get fix and try to salvage the money spent on it.

- , New Iberia, LA, USA

May 052013

Charger Daytona 5.7L Hemi

Bought new. Wife picked it. Wife loved it. I'm military. On the day I leave for one of my tours she calls me frantically stating i just put gas in my car and came home. Ran inside and came back real quick to leave again and my car wont start. Here listen (over the phone), I'm trying to start it, can you hea the noise its making? Sounds like its not getting fuel I stated. Battery seems to be doing fine. Could be a fuel pump. After several attempts of trying to start it, no luck. After a tow to the dealer for diagnosis, they explain after $110.worth of diagnostic labor we see that the top of pistonl #4 is smashed, the valve seat is broken, and the cylinder wall is scored. This has happened before and your extended warranty expired 8,000 miles ago. Itll cost you $7400 for a new engine. Sorry for the bad news

Seriously? Now what? I could have bought another car for $7400. A motorcycle, braces for my kid, anything. Now I have to go barrow from my retirement to pay for a new motor because my wife loves this stupid yellow paper weight

- , Ripon, San Joaquin, USA

Mar 122013

Charger SE 2.7L

Just got a new oil change a week ago. I was on my way to work when i turned on my car i noticed my car was squealing and ticking loudly. I decided to drive it around the block to try and pinpoint where the noise was coming from at that point it stopped. When i propped open the hood i noticed the plastic oil case had cracked in 2 places One right next to the oil cap and one right where the front engine chain is located as i can see them. Any ideas what the problem could be?

- , Dayton, OH, USA