2.4

2009 Dodge Charger electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Charger:

2009 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 132014

Charger 8-cyl

Ignition won't turn off.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Jul 072012

Charger

July 2012 I was in the left lane on highway 635 in dallas. I noticed my wheel was locked. Looked at the speedometer it was zero. Thats when I noticed my car had shut off. The radio was still playing and no code lights came on. Luckily no one was behind me the car stopped in the middle of the highway and I put it in park and it crank back up with no hesitation. It is now May 2013 after taking my car to the dealership 3 times they still cant find anything wrong with it. Since July it has shut off on me 10-15 times. I fear for me and my daughters life. I say a prayer everytime I get into my car. I have no other means of transportation. I've contacted Chrysler Corp and now have a case number. There is lawsuits against Chrysler for this problem but not my particular car. Shuts off no warning very dangerous and scary.

- Forney, TX, USA

Apr 012013

Charger

My electronic control throttle light continues to come on. I have read forums of this being an issue in Dodge and Chrysler cars from 2000 to 2011 models. I think at this point there needs to be a recall on the defect on all these cars. I am sick to my stomach on the costs to fix this issue.

- West Valley City, UT, USA

Feb 232013

Charger 8-cyl

Had to replace the tipem, win and have key fobs reprogrammed to system. Have heard from other Dodge owners with similar problems that have had these parts replaced several times.I believe parts are defective causing these problems with the vehicles. I have researched and found multiple cases and not one significant cause as to why this keeps occurring. I even asked the Dodge mechanic and he stated the he doesn't know what would cause this to happen. As new as these vehicles are with maintenance upkeep this shouldn't happen and it usually occurs when the warranty has expired. This seems to occur most with 2006 thru 2009 models.

- Carrollton, GA, USA

Oct 062012

Charger 6-cyl

I own a 2009 Dodge Charger. When cranking engine all the check lights came on (including engine, coolant, tire check, etc.). the temperature gauge was also all the way cold.I cut the engine off. The engine was slow to crank but did crank. I drove not even a half mile and the temp gauge was going from cold to hot and then the engine stopped. When I opened the hood I found my car was smoking and the coolant was almost bone dry. Prior to this incident no check lights have appeared. I took my car to landers Dodge in southaven, ms they ran a check and performed maintenance to my car and added coolant. Now, a month and half later my car is smoking again and coolant is extremely low. While my car is smoking and almost no coolant, temp gauge is not detecting my car running hot. I believe my sensors are not working correctly and have a faulty coolant container. Thanks!

- Senatobia, MS, USA

Jan 192011

Charger

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Charger. The contact was driving 30 mph when all of the lights illuminated on the instrument panel as the vehicle stalled. The contact stated that it would take several attempts to start the vehicle and the key would haphazardly release from the ignition, causing the vehicle to stall. The contact stated that the failure would recur at least eight times within a week. The dealer was contacted and they stated to the contact that there were no recalls available for the vehicle, and recommended having the ignition switch module replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 67,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Feb 012011

Charger

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Charger. While parked, the contact attempted to turn the ignition on but the key would not turn. In addition, the contact noticed that the key fob, which was attached to the key, would not unlock the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing where the technician advised that the key fob would have to be replaced. The key fob was replaced, but the key continued to become stuck in the ignition. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 68,812.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 272011

Charger

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Charger. The contact attempted to start the vehicle and it failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated the ignition had to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 66,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 102009

Charger

2009 Dodge Charger SXT, purchased back in May 2010, starting having check engine light problems in October 2010. The check engine light reads that I have a failure within my oxygen sensors. Purchased car used at 36, 252 miles. Woo hoo, the warranty on this car expired at 36,00 miles. I took the car into the "authorize" Chrysler dealership of whom charged me $99 just to even look at my car, they called it a diagnostic fee from which they just hook car up to a portable computer and let the computer read the engine code. (the same thing that autozone or advanced auto parts does for free). They ran there machine on my car, read the code, and made me wait for about hour just so they could make me think they were actually doing something special when clearly I can see what's going on in the garage. Finally when they figured that I've waited long enough, the only thing they told me was that I had a bad oxygen sensor, shocker, since I already knew this because I took it to autozone were they ran the code, for free. Chyrlser said it would be around $300 to fix this problem. I was livid when they told me this and asked them to break down the $300 cost because I knew for fact that the parts were know more than $50. They told me parts were $63, and the rest was labor. Are you for real. It takes literally 2 minutes to change out an oxygen sensor, all you do is unplug the old one and insert the new one. I would do it myself if I had a car lift. I eventually ended up taking the car to an independent mechanic who preceded to fix my car for only $100. Surprise surprise, 2 days later my check engine light comes back on. I take it back to Dodge who again charges me another $99 only to tell me that the mechanic "changed the wrong on", really, ok, not. Took back to the other mechanic who changed out other O2 sensor for free. Check engine light came back on. Took back Chrysler dealership and they said he change the wrong one again, really, know really. Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep sucks.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Sep 152010

Charger

My 2009 Dodge Charger would not start dealer indicated the ignition module is defective a friend of mine who owns a repair garage told he had seen this on a Dodge Charger three times in the past 4 weeks. This may explain why it is taking the dealer 4 weeks to repair waiting for the part.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

May 032010

Charger

2009 Dodge Charger. Consumer states vehicle lost all power while driving the consumer stated the vehicle stopped abruptly, the power steering was disabled, the radio died and all the lights on the message board flashed. The engine was completely dead. The next day, the vehicle was taken to the dealer. The consumer was informed the intergrated power module was not working properly and had to be replaced. The service advisor explained that the intergrated power module is the computer that controls the fuse box. When the proper signals can not make it to the computer, it causes everything wired to the fuse box to shut down. Unfortunately, the problem occurred again on July 6, 2010. The consumer was on the highway, when the vehicle lost power and shut off. The following day, she started the vehicle, switched the gear from park to drive, the engine shut off, all power was lost and all the message board lights began flashing. She applied the brake, put the vehicle back into park and turned off the ignition. After a few minutes, it started with no difficulty. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer. However, they were unable to find any error codes and they were not sure what the problem was.

- Jenkinsburg, GA, USA

Nov 012009

Charger

S10 appropriate handling-email from re problem with her 2009 Dodge Charger. The consumer stated while driving, all of the dash lights illuminated and the vehicle completely shut off. She lost control of the steering wheel and the vehicle decelerated quickly. The consumer stated she realized she need to do something, so she turned the key off then back on. The vehicle started to hesitate and then started moving again. The consumer immediately took the vehicle to the dealership, but upon inspection they could not find anything wrong. However, they did order a new computer to be installed. The new computer was finally installed and it was assumed everything was fine, until the vehicle started exhibiting issues one morning as she was leaving for work. It took three tries to start the vehicle. So, the dealer performed another repair which was the replacement of the ignition coils. A representative from Chrysler was scheduled to test drive the vehicle. Prior to him arriving, the dash lights illuminated on the dashboard again. The consumer was informed again, they could not find any codes to fix the problem.

- Washington, DC, USA