2011 Dodge Charger brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 122016

8/12/16 driving with my fiance and baby girl near home I noticed the battery saving mode warning, not long after navigation and radio shut off fearing the worst I began to head back home through small streets where less civilians and moving cars. Engine roaring like if it was trying to fight to get every last drop of the batteries power. As I was entering the gate to my home the car officially gave up and all the power completely died. I couldn't brake nor turn the wheel without giving it my whole body weight and pressure to prevent it from going head on into someones home. My fiance even had trouble unlocking the doors within the car to jump out and help in whatever way he thought he was going to help. And this was going on with the emergency brake on. Thankfully no collision occurred thanks to my quick thinking and luck. Hoping it was only the battery that was the problem I got it completely re-charged. When I reconnected it I noticed all lights turning on thinking problem solved, nevertheless immediately the engine began to shake and smoking up. Quickly turning it off I researched that a recall P60 for my make model and year are available for what happened to my car but sadly not my engine and alternator power wth. 4yrs 37307 miles on my 2011 Dodge Charger R/T mopar edition 5.7L V8 hemi on time with maintenance and payments why is this happening to me!! I cant afford paying anything extra other than what I signed up to pay I thought new car no problems im so wrong I had to take my car in for so many many recalls not including when I tried to solve the problems it was giving me before I even received notice that a recall was available for the problem, and now this! the alternator is fried and the radiator will be next I know because an engine is like our anatomy one affected part soon affects the next part that makes the other function. Hopefully im wrong.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Aug 042016

While driving down the street, the vehicle suddenly experienced reduced performance. The ABS light and other electrical system lights came on and the radio went off. I immediately pulled into a driveway at which time the car had the brake light come on and smelled like it was burning. I immediately shut the car off but the smell continued to get worse. I had the car towed to my local garage where I was informed that the alternator had been on fire. Upon further research, it was discovered the recall P60 exists for 2011 Dodge Chargers. This is only for the 160 amp alternator. My car has the 180 amp alternator. Upon contacting Dodge, I was informed that my car was not eligible for the recall. With only 67,000 miles on the car, this type of failure should not have happened.

- North Scituate, RI, USA

Jun 212016

Alternator smoking. Electronic stability control light came on first, then a whining noise during the following week. Then dead battery. When battery replaced, alternator started smoking.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

May 032016

I was driving, with my son in the car, and my electrical system completely failed. My windows, steering, brakes, and etc. Stopped working while I was driving. Behind me was an log truck fully loaded. Thanks god there was just enough space for him to swurve around my car. This could have been a deadly accident. This all happen while my car was moving and I was able to get in a safe position before stopping the car. After it stopped, nothing worked in the vehicle.

- Bassfield, MS, USA

Mar 142016

While driving my 2011 rt AWD Dodge Charger on the freeway, at approximately 65 mph, all of the lights (including, the dash lights, the radio, the headlights, I am unsure if the rear running lights were involved) shut off momentarily (3-5 seconds). During that time I noticed a change in the steering, the wheel became stiff like the power steering was off. I let my foot off of the gas pedal but did not brake so I'm not sure if the power brakes were affected, but assume they were. It sounds a lot like the alternator failure recall involving the 6 cylinder models with the 160 amp alternator. (I believe this is the same alternator that was used in the R/T 5.7L hemi model) the power came back on and I drove the last 4-5 miles home without further incident. I am apprehensive about driving on the freeway now. Loosing the ability to steer and brake at freeway speed could end in an accident. As an added note, when I arrived home I checked to see if there was any smell (electrical) near the engine, there was not.

- Portland, OR, USA

Feb 212016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While driving 30 mph, the headlamps and all the warning lights on the instrument cluster illuminated. In addition, the steering wheel became difficult to turn and the vehicle jerked. I had to apply force to the steering wheel. Car was taken to Dodge dealer ship I received a call and stated that the alternator and battery needed to be replaced. I replace both things and car still having same isue

- Santa Fe Springs, CA, USA

Nov 072015

As I turned to pull in my driveway, all at once the ABS light and stability control light illuminated on my dash, the powersteering quit working, all at the same time the vehicle had begun making a loud high pitched humming noise with smoke coming from under the hood that had a very intense burning, electrical type smell. Then the dash flashed that the car was in battery saver mode, subsequently dying altogether. Upon having towed the car to a Dodge dealership, the service department informed me that I needed to a) replace the alternator B) replace the belt and C) replace the battery because the alternator caused it to go bad. The total for all repairs will be $1224. I still don't have the vehicle back, but I've done extensive research online and learned that there is a recall (recall number P60) involving some 2011-2014 model year Dodge Chargers and their alternators. Seeing as my vehicle is a 2011, and I am having this exact issue, I need to know why my vehicle was not included in the original recall. Having alternator failure when my vehicle is only 4 years old is unacceptable, not to mention, it is incredibly unsafe to lose powersteering, ABS and ESC as the vehicle smolders for hours even after completely dying.

- Humble, TX, USA

Nov 012015

I have a 2011 Dodge Charger, and I'm having problems with the trunk it just opens for no reason. Also the alternator went out, and they claim my car is not on the recall list but it has the exact alternator as the ones on the recall list. This is ridiculous.

- Westland, MI, USA

Oct 152014

Charger 8-cyl

Mil light came on starting flashes lost power while I'm driving took it the dealership they can't find what's wrong... light will go away and come back repeat the same exact thing...both fog lights are completely out change the bulbs still out have to be wiring over heating.

- Barnwell, SC, USA

Oct 112014

Charger 6-cyl

Driving from philly to NJ at 2am on Sunday right before I entered the bridge lost power steering, ABS, radio and battery saver light came on I had my wife and 3 kids with me after a minute or so started losing the headlights. I just wanted to get to jersey side and stop somewhere and call for help. I was very lucky because got to rt.73 highway and mt.laurel police spotted me and helped me a lot by taking us home safe. I had my car towed to the nearest garage and they told me the alternator died so I called the Dodge dealership they said that no Dodge Chargers had that problem reported before I was "first". they were so rude on the phone and said just suck it up and pay $790. Well I got it fixed not at the dealership but at the gas station mechanic. I also paid $150 for towing and now I'm afraid that its going to fail again soon. I called the corporate right after I heard about the recall and they told me that my VIN it is not recalled. They still investigating for more VIN numbers.

- Mt.Laurel , NJ, USA

Oct 072014

Charger 6-cyl

While driving, "battery saver mode" message came up. From here, I could smell something coming from under the hood. Then the ABS light and traction control light came on. Was able to get it home, before trying to drive it again later after jumping it and it was completely dead. Was able to finally jump it long enough to get out of my driveway and into the street so it could be towed. Brought it to my dealership and they said it was a bad alternator. It is only a 2011 and has over 50K miles.

- Round Lake Beach, IL, USA

Oct 062014

Charger 6-cyl

This is the third day in a row of getting battery saver mode message in ivic. First day it came on while I was driving at approx. 50 mph and experienced power loss (radio shutting off, lights on dash illuminating, loss of steering, etc.) within 5 minutes. Pulled alternator (replaced both battery and alternator in may after same issue) and shop said it tested fine. Battery also tested fine. Put alternator and battery back in and car started up and drove for over an hour with no issues. Next day while sitting in traffic car again went into battery saver mode and I experienced same power loss within a few minutes. Called dealership after I parked at work and was told to bring it in right away. Went back outside to see if car would start and there were no issues. Car ran fine and drove fine for over an hour straight and the rest of the day. This morning I got the battery saver mode message while at a stop sign! I turned the car off and back on and car is still fine so far. I am afraid that something serious will happen while I have my kids in the car.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Sep 172014

My 2011 Dodge Charger had a smell of a burnt altenator. Car ABS light came on and my radio turned off and there was a whining noise in the engine compartment. The car has electrical problems, the battery is in a power save mode I have not gone to the dealer yet. Its my 3rd incident with the car. Headlights and brakes. I will have to get it towed, I don't trust to drive it. It running on the battery only. It needs to be recalled

- Waukegan, IL, USA

Sep 292014

Charger 6-cyl

Started driving my vehicle from work. When all of a sudden my whole dashboard lite up with the "ABS light, power saver mode, and the traction control light. While attempting to pull over the vehicle my radio power off and the vehicle began making a "whining" noise. The engine shut off by itself. I pop the hood and while raising the hood white smoke appeared and I could smell something burning. My sister was present the whole time she was tailgating me in her vehicle. Let the car cool down and tried to restart it and the whining noise grew louder and upon starting it seem as if it did not want to start up but the dashboard was not lite up only the message on the dash about being in "power save mode". this was a scary situation for me and I do not feel comfortable driving my only means of transportation for me and my children. My sister gave me a ride home. I have contact the dealership and have an appointment for them to service the vehicle.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Sep 232014

Charger 6-cyl

"battery save mode" I don't know what happen my car didn't want to start? I have had this car for about 1yr 1/2. checked battery levels they are fine. Then started drove the car for 2 days then died when I parked the car and tried to drive it again. But will not turn over.when traveling under the speed of 30mph the car becomes very hard to steer and feels like its going to shut off. I don't know what is wrong with it. I can't drive it anywhere to get a diagnosis on it.

- Reseda, CA, USA

Sep 152014

Charger 6-cyl

At 10 P.M. 9/15. I was driving to the store. Information message popped up on display. Battery saver mode. The radio shut off and the car began to shake. There was also a whining noise heard from the engine compartment. The ABS brake light and electronic skid control lights were also on. I was already near the store. I pulled into the parking lot and parked the car. I opened the hood and could see smoke and smell smoke coming from the alternator. I tried to restart the car to get my windows up but it was dead. I couldn't start it even with jumper cables to get it back home. I had to call for a tow. I finally made it home a 1:00 am after waiting for tow. I couldn't imagine the lack of control had this happened on the freeway or during rush hour traffic. I need to purchase an alternator and battery today. Not looking forward to the bill. Sounds like bad designed parts. Hopefully something becomes of the investigation.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Sep 122014

My 2011 Dodge Charger battery saving mode light is blinking on and off as well as my ABS/skid control then all of the sudden my vehicle starts slowing down on the highway while going the speed of 60 mph causing the car to lock up. My wife is 8 months pregnant and I feel like that not only put her in danger but my unborn child as well. This situation I feel needs to be recalled and fix asap before someone looses a loved one over a malfunction with these vehicles. I had to get my vehicle towed to the Dodge dealer who told me that my alternator went out and completely drained my battery in my car causing me to have to come out of pocket for both. I really don't drive my vehicle a lot for all these things to be happening I hope that the 2015 Dodge Charger is better...

- Bainbridge , GA, USA

Sep 122014

Charger 6-cyl

Car went into battery saver mode while driving. Took to dealership said nothing wrong. Drove next day where all lights and wipers going off. Radio cut off and ABS, traction control and E-brake lights came on. Then car began having smoky smell. Completely shut off in intersection with no recharge or ability to start up. Could not even lock doors or open trunk.

- Oakley , CA, USA

Jul 012014

Charger 6-cyl

I have replaced my car's alternator twice within 16 months due to total failure (car won't turn on) and impending failure (low charging while on). This resulted in my battery needing to be replaced. Additionally, I have replaced all 4 wheel speed sensors twice within the last 24 months because they are failing and the ABS / ESC light comes on. Very disappointing in a car that's only 3 years old. Dealership tells me both repairs are typical of these cars, even the new ones. Lastly, both of my headlights have blown out due to a known recall.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Sep 022014

Charger 6-cyl

Battery saver mode code message came on. Radio shut off. ABS light flashed. Steering became rigid. Took to shop, alternator and battery needed replaced.

- Elizabethtown, PA, USA