2.8

2011 Dodge Charger brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 152017

Charger

Battery save mode message, car message came up, lost power to radio, and the car shut off. Had the alternator tested and it came back ok and replaced battery. It worked for a day and got the same message and radio shut off again.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Nov 022015

Charger

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that there was low voltage on the battery, which kept being drained without warning. The battery was replaced by the contact, but the failure continued. Also, the latches failed to function on the front passenger side doors. The dealer replaced both latches. In addition, the service stability traction control, service engine, air bag, and brake warning indicators illuminated. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V352000 (air bags), 16V043000 (structure), 15V467000 (air bags and seat belts), 14V643000 (electrical system), 14V101000 (exterior lighting), 13V118000 (air bags), and 12V497000 (electrical system, service brakes, air). The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Dec 092016

Charger

The manufacturer has a recall (P60) on the car but I'm not covered since I have a 180 amp alternator. I almost had a major accident in the middle of a very busy atlanta express way because my car shut off and blowing a smelly air out of the vents. The power was lost and it had a message saying battery saver mode. This is not right that they will not cover my call and it is having the same issues. The service department at the dealership said this is the same issue that others Chargers are having and they are covered. If some would have lost their life then then would be out of more than fixing a car.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Aug 092016

Charger 8-cyl

In August my car out of nowhere warned and activated itself for battery saver mode and not long after that same day the car lost all power causing me to loose total control of brakes and steering as well as unable to unlock my car to get out. Imagine the fear I had especially having my fiance and daughter in the car with me. Thankfully no collision occurred but what if" the battery died because the alternator needed power to perform itself. Why" Dodge Charger R/T mopar 5.7 hemi. Autozone charged my battery and checked it for free and diagnosed it as a healthy battery. When installing the battery back I turned on my car to diagnose it with the sensor reader the engine was shaking and the belt began to smoke up and whistling loudly right away turned it off but not before getting the code P60 but my car doesn't qualify for that recall cuz its a V8.. so if I would of died then would my car been eligible cuz U guys would actually listen that all Dodge with alternator 160 amp are faulty. I don't got $$ to be throwing I fixed it once and the same dashboard light keeps warning me and before it kills my alternator I charge the battery doing this every time I have to drive my car cant imagine a girl seems to know much more than the dealership mechanics or whoever decides what car qualifies for recall.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Aug 122016

Charger

8/12/16 driving with my fiance and baby girl near home I noticed the battery saving mode warning, not long after navigation and radio shut off fearing the worst I began to head back home through small streets where less civilians and moving cars. Engine roaring like if it was trying to fight to get every last drop of the batteries power. As I was entering the gate to my home the car officially gave up and all the power completely died. I couldn't brake nor turn the wheel without giving it my whole body weight and pressure to prevent it from going head on into someones home. My fiance even had trouble unlocking the doors within the car to jump out and help in whatever way he thought he was going to help. And this was going on with the emergency brake on. Thankfully no collision occurred thanks to my quick thinking and luck. Hoping it was only the battery that was the problem I got it completely re-charged. When I reconnected it I noticed all lights turning on thinking problem solved, nevertheless immediately the engine began to shake and smoking up. Quickly turning it off I researched that a recall P60 for my make model and year are available for what happened to my car but sadly not my engine and alternator power wth. 4yrs 37307 miles on my 2011 Dodge Charger R/T mopar edition 5.7L V8 hemi on time with maintenance and payments why is this happening to me!! I cant afford paying anything extra other than what I signed up to pay I thought new car no problems im so wrong I had to take my car in for so many many recalls not including when I tried to solve the problems it was giving me before I even received notice that a recall was available for the problem, and now this! the alternator is fried and the radiator will be next I know because an engine is like our anatomy one affected part soon affects the next part that makes the other function. Hopefully im wrong.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Aug 042016

Charger

While driving down the street, the vehicle suddenly experienced reduced performance. The ABS light and other electrical system lights came on and the radio went off. I immediately pulled into a driveway at which time the car had the brake light come on and smelled like it was burning. I immediately shut the car off but the smell continued to get worse. I had the car towed to my local garage where I was informed that the alternator had been on fire. Upon further research, it was discovered the recall P60 exists for 2011 Dodge Chargers. This is only for the 160 amp alternator. My car has the 180 amp alternator. Upon contacting Dodge, I was informed that my car was not eligible for the recall. With only 67,000 miles on the car, this type of failure should not have happened.

- North Scituate, RI, USA

Jun 212016

Charger

Alternator smoking. Electronic stability control light came on first, then a whining noise during the following week. Then dead battery. When battery replaced, alternator started smoking.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

May 032016

Charger

I was driving, with my son in the car, and my electrical system completely failed. My windows, steering, brakes, and etc. Stopped working while I was driving. Behind me was an log truck fully loaded. Thanks god there was just enough space for him to swurve around my car. This could have been a deadly accident. This all happen while my car was moving and I was able to get in a safe position before stopping the car. After it stopped, nothing worked in the vehicle.

- Bassfield, MS, USA

Mar 142016

Charger

While driving my 2011 rt AWD Dodge Charger on the freeway, at approximately 65 mph, all of the lights (including, the dash lights, the radio, the headlights, I am unsure if the rear running lights were involved) shut off momentarily (3-5 seconds). During that time I noticed a change in the steering, the wheel became stiff like the power steering was off. I let my foot off of the gas pedal but did not brake so I'm not sure if the power brakes were affected, but assume they were. It sounds a lot like the alternator failure recall involving the 6 cylinder models with the 160 amp alternator. (I believe this is the same alternator that was used in the R/T 5.7L hemi model) the power came back on and I drove the last 4-5 miles home without further incident. I am apprehensive about driving on the freeway now. Loosing the ability to steer and brake at freeway speed could end in an accident. As an added note, when I arrived home I checked to see if there was any smell (electrical) near the engine, there was not.

- Portland, OR, USA

Feb 212016

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While driving 30 mph, the headlamps and all the warning lights on the instrument cluster illuminated. In addition, the steering wheel became difficult to turn and the vehicle jerked. I had to apply force to the steering wheel. Car was taken to Dodge dealer ship I received a call and stated that the alternator and battery needed to be replaced. I replace both things and car still having same isue

- Santa Fe Springs, CA, USA

Nov 072015

Charger

As I turned to pull in my driveway, all at once the ABS light and stability control light illuminated on my dash, the powersteering quit working, all at the same time the vehicle had begun making a loud high pitched humming noise with smoke coming from under the hood that had a very intense burning, electrical type smell. Then the dash flashed that the car was in battery saver mode, subsequently dying altogether. Upon having towed the car to a Dodge dealership, the service department informed me that I needed to a) replace the alternator B) replace the belt and C) replace the battery because the alternator caused it to go bad. The total for all repairs will be $1224. I still don't have the vehicle back, but I've done extensive research online and learned that there is a recall (recall number P60) involving some 2011-2014 model year Dodge Chargers and their alternators. Seeing as my vehicle is a 2011, and I am having this exact issue, I need to know why my vehicle was not included in the original recall. Having alternator failure when my vehicle is only 4 years old is unacceptable, not to mention, it is incredibly unsafe to lose powersteering, ABS and ESC as the vehicle smolders for hours even after completely dying.

- Humble, TX, USA

Nov 012015

Charger

I have a 2011 Dodge Charger, and I'm having problems with the trunk it just opens for no reason. Also the alternator went out, and they claim my car is not on the recall list but it has the exact alternator as the ones on the recall list. This is ridiculous.

- Westland, MI, USA

Oct 152014

Charger 8-cyl

Mil light came on starting flashes lost power while I'm driving took it the dealership they can't find what's wrong... light will go away and come back repeat the same exact thing...both fog lights are completely out change the bulbs still out have to be wiring over heating.

- Barnwell, SC, USA

Oct 112014

Charger 6-cyl

Driving from philly to NJ at 2am on Sunday right before I entered the bridge lost power steering, ABS, radio and battery saver light came on I had my wife and 3 kids with me after a minute or so started losing the headlights. I just wanted to get to jersey side and stop somewhere and call for help. I was very lucky because got to rt.73 highway and mt.laurel police spotted me and helped me a lot by taking us home safe. I had my car towed to the nearest garage and they told me the alternator died so I called the Dodge dealership they said that no Dodge Chargers had that problem reported before I was "first". they were so rude on the phone and said just suck it up and pay $790. Well I got it fixed not at the dealership but at the gas station mechanic. I also paid $150 for towing and now I'm afraid that its going to fail again soon. I called the corporate right after I heard about the recall and they told me that my VIN it is not recalled. They still investigating for more VIN numbers.

- Mt.Laurel , NJ, USA

Oct 072014

Charger 6-cyl

While driving, "battery saver mode" message came up. From here, I could smell something coming from under the hood. Then the ABS light and traction control light came on. Was able to get it home, before trying to drive it again later after jumping it and it was completely dead. Was able to finally jump it long enough to get out of my driveway and into the street so it could be towed. Brought it to my dealership and they said it was a bad alternator. It is only a 2011 and has over 50K miles.

- Round Lake Beach, IL, USA

Oct 062014

Charger 6-cyl

This is the third day in a row of getting battery saver mode message in ivic. First day it came on while I was driving at approx. 50 mph and experienced power loss (radio shutting off, lights on dash illuminating, loss of steering, etc.) within 5 minutes. Pulled alternator (replaced both battery and alternator in may after same issue) and shop said it tested fine. Battery also tested fine. Put alternator and battery back in and car started up and drove for over an hour with no issues. Next day while sitting in traffic car again went into battery saver mode and I experienced same power loss within a few minutes. Called dealership after I parked at work and was told to bring it in right away. Went back outside to see if car would start and there were no issues. Car ran fine and drove fine for over an hour straight and the rest of the day. This morning I got the battery saver mode message while at a stop sign! I turned the car off and back on and car is still fine so far. I am afraid that something serious will happen while I have my kids in the car.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Sep 172014

Charger

My 2011 Dodge Charger had a smell of a burnt altenator. Car ABS light came on and my radio turned off and there was a whining noise in the engine compartment. The car has electrical problems, the battery is in a power save mode I have not gone to the dealer yet. Its my 3rd incident with the car. Headlights and brakes. I will have to get it towed, I don't trust to drive it. It running on the battery only. It needs to be recalled

- Waukegan, IL, USA

Sep 292014

Charger 6-cyl

Started driving my vehicle from work. When all of a sudden my whole dashboard lite up with the "ABS light, power saver mode, and the traction control light. While attempting to pull over the vehicle my radio power off and the vehicle began making a "whining" noise. The engine shut off by itself. I pop the hood and while raising the hood white smoke appeared and I could smell something burning. My sister was present the whole time she was tailgating me in her vehicle. Let the car cool down and tried to restart it and the whining noise grew louder and upon starting it seem as if it did not want to start up but the dashboard was not lite up only the message on the dash about being in "power save mode". this was a scary situation for me and I do not feel comfortable driving my only means of transportation for me and my children. My sister gave me a ride home. I have contact the dealership and have an appointment for them to service the vehicle.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Sep 232014

Charger 6-cyl

"battery save mode" I don't know what happen my car didn't want to start? I have had this car for about 1yr 1/2. checked battery levels they are fine. Then started drove the car for 2 days then died when I parked the car and tried to drive it again. But will not turn over.when traveling under the speed of 30mph the car becomes very hard to steer and feels like its going to shut off. I don't know what is wrong with it. I can't drive it anywhere to get a diagnosis on it.

- Reseda, CA, USA

Sep 152014

Charger 6-cyl

At 10 P.M. 9/15. I was driving to the store. Information message popped up on display. Battery saver mode. The radio shut off and the car began to shake. There was also a whining noise heard from the engine compartment. The ABS brake light and electronic skid control lights were also on. I was already near the store. I pulled into the parking lot and parked the car. I opened the hood and could see smoke and smell smoke coming from the alternator. I tried to restart the car to get my windows up but it was dead. I couldn't start it even with jumper cables to get it back home. I had to call for a tow. I finally made it home a 1:00 am after waiting for tow. I couldn't imagine the lack of control had this happened on the freeway or during rush hour traffic. I need to purchase an alternator and battery today. Not looking forward to the bill. Sounds like bad designed parts. Hopefully something becomes of the investigation.

- Stockton, CA, USA