2011 Dodge Charger electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 10 of 15)

Jul 222014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while attempting to park, the vehicle stalled and the steering wheel became hard to turn. The contact also mentioned that the ABS deactivated and the battery save mode light illuminated. The contact determined that the alternator failed, causing the problem to recur multiple times after the battery was recharged. The alternator was replaced but failed to remedy the problem. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jul 222014

This complaint is being marked for deletion because it is an inadvertent duplicate of ODI number: 10622340. TL* the contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while attempting to park, the vehicle stalled and the steering wheel became hard to turn. The contact also mentioned that the ABS deactivated and the battery save mode light illuminated. The contact determined that the alternator failed, causing the problem to recur multiple times after the battery was recharged. The alternator was replaced but failed to remedy the problem. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Fayettevilee, NC, USA

Aug 102014

Charger 6-cyl

When I started my car it made a loud whining noise for a second but then it went away, I started driving to work while I was driving on the highway doing 55 mph my car radio shut off and my lights shut off the ABS light and the anti swerve light started flashing on and off and I got a message on my screen it was in battery saving mode. I was able to drive to work and then drive straight to the dealer ship after for analysis and found out on Monday that the alternator went out while I was driving..

- Milliken, CO, USA

Aug 132014

Charger 6-cyl

The car radio stopped and powered itself off. The ABS and traction control light flashed on the dashboard. I stopped at an intersection and powered the car off to hopefully reset the system. The car would not start. I had to have it towed. No power to the battery and therefore the hazard lights would not work either. The mechanic identified the issue as the alternator. I see an open investigation into my model car. Please include my vehicle in as one of the failures.

- Wharton, NJ, USA

Aug 092014

Charger 6-cyl

Alternator problem. Drove car around corner leaving my house and starting running bad. Dash lit up with "running on backup battery". drove back into driveway. Car wont start.

- Kerman, CA, USA

Charger 6-cyl

The alternator had a complete failure. Waited 2&1/2 hrs for wrecker to tow to dealership only to be told the dealership had a locked gate and the tow company could not drop car there. Had towed to the house instead and the next day began the process for repairs. 36 month warranty expired in May 2014 and this occurred July 31, 2014. Car only has 26,138 miles of usage. Alternator is not available at any parts house, only at Dodge dealership (if it can be found there, I had to drive 230 miles roundtrip to get one). Replace it myself because Dodge customer assistance center told me they would help me with 'part' of the labor fee if I paid an additional tow fee to get the car to their dealership. I believe the amperage rating for this alternator is too low to support the electronics in the 2011 Dodge Charger. Total estimated expenses to fix this problem is $927.85.

- Leesburg, GA, USA

Aug 082014

Morning of the incident, heard a "whining" noise when car started. Drive short distance to work and home. While driving on highway in traffic going 25mph at 6pm, lost power to radio, power steering, ABS light flashed, brake light flashed, and strong electrical smell. When I finally got the car to the shoulder, itwas in battery saver mode and could not detect key for keyless entry. No electrical power. When I called Dodge dealer where it was towed, they said it would be $700 for parts and labor.

- Aldie, VA, USA

Jul 302014

Charger 6-cyl

While driving the ABS/ESC lights came on, there was a high pitched whine, the ac went off along with the radio. Car went into battery save mode. Power steering was lost. The car was put into park and then it died. There was smoke and a strong burning electrical/wiring smell. The car had to be towed. The alternator was fried, along with the battery. (the alternator supplies power for the vehicle while the engine is running, and it also recharges the battery). Major oversight by Dodge or sneaky racket (alternator can only be purchased through Dodge). The 2011-2012 models do not have an adequate size alternator to sufficiently supply the electrical load of the electronic components that are in the vehicle, causing the alternator to cease prematurely and run off the battery (also ceasing the battery) until the car slowly shuts down. Replacement of both the alternator and battery are needed, only to go out prematurely again. (example: When you upgrade your cars sound system you are adding components that pull additional power that in turn puts an extra tax on your alternator and battery to work harder/more often to keep up). A recall is definitely in order or Dodge needs to manufacture an upgrade kit for replacement of parts. This is a major safety issue and a financial burden on owners. The average cost for Dodge to replace the alternator with a re-manufactured alternator is between $750-$900 (labor included) w/ 1yr warranty. This fix typically lasts for 1-2yrs if you are lucky.

- Milton , FL, USA

Aug 012014

Charger 6-cyl

My car started making a squeaky noise from the engine one morning, then as I drove it the radio went off and my battery said it was going into battery saving mode. My ac started to turn on and off, so I lowered my windows then my windows wouldn't go back up. I had numerous engine lights come. My windshield wipers where turning on and off. My power steering stopped working, so I pulled over. I turned my car off and it wouldn't turn on. I checked my battery the next morning to see if I needed a new one but it was fine. I jumped my car and drove it around a little and still had all the problems stated above with my headlights flashing on and off this time. I turned the car off and the lights inside where still flashing, so I unplugged the battery. My car is now at the Dodge dealer and they are telling me it might be alternator. I don't understand how this happens to a 2011 vehicle.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jul 292014

Charger 6-cyl

I was driving home from the store going about 50mph when my radio and ac turned off. Followed by the battery save mode message popping on then everything else like ABS light, ignition system, and after flickering off and on the car suddenly lost power. It turned off in the middle of the road, if I don't get off and flag the car behind me I would of been involved in a terrible collision. This problem seems to be on going and quite hazardous to our safety. I also think that the alternator provided for the car is not strong enough, which is why it leads to it's failure.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Charger 6-cyl

When I turn on my turn signals the windshield wipers go on! this happens 2 to 3 times I put the turn signal on then does not do it next time and then again the next 3 times I use the turn signals. Mostly happening with left turn signal. The wipers do not stop until you turn off the turn signal. Something must be wrong with the electrical wiring or switch.

- Hartsdale, NY, USA

Aug 022014

Charger 6-cyl

Audio went off, then ac went off, then car cut off, wouldn't restart/buy new battery, car start to smoke from alternator.

- Country Club Hills, IL, USA

Jul 232014

I was driving and all of a sudden the car started smoking and then started to decelerate.I pulled over to the side to take a look under the hood and heard a buzzing/ringing noise from the engine.I slowly drove to auto zone to get a diagnostic and it read alternator.

- Morrow, GA, USA

Jul 172014

I thankfully was driving in a parking lot when my radio, ABS, and traction control shut off. After that the car shut it self off. I got it to stop safely. I than tried to use jumper cables and could not get it to start. I than paid to have it towed ($85) to a dealership. They charged me ($100) to scan the computer and told me it was just a dead battery. Bought a new battery ($170) had them install it. Next day it does the same thing. Thankfully made it back to the same dealership and they gave me the run around. So I got it to somewhere that knows what they are doing. You would think a dealership would. I was told it would cost $480 just for the alternator which is crazy. No store carried it. Took me and them over 2 weeks to find one. So after parts and labor and towing a new alternator almost made me wreck and cost me almost $1000. Unacceptable!!!

- Finleyville, PA, USA

Jul 152014

Charger 6-cyl

Driving and the car started to make a humming sound from the engine. Then out of nowhere car started to blow hot air, the radio went off, "battery safe mode" was on the screen and I could start to smell smoke. I pulled over and tried to figure out what was going on. I was directed to go to either an auto store or the dealership to get a diagnostic ran. I cautiously drove the car (only going about 20 mph tops) to an auto store. They ran a diagnostic and I was told the alternator was shot and that I was the 3rd person this week that had the same issue. I drove my car less than a mile home and the moment that I turned into my apartment complex the car just shut off and smoke was billowing from under the hood. The next day when I tried to turn the car on to get it on the tow truck, the automatic doors wouldn't unlock- the whole car was completely dead! from reading multiple post I'm not sure why Dodge hasn't issued a recall for this. I clearly am not the only one experiencing this pricey issue for such a newer car. I'm just glad all this happened when I was on side streets and not going at a high rate of speed and my child was not in the car with me or else this could be a different story!

- Morrow, GA, USA

Jul 272014

Charger 6-cyl

While driving a whining noise started coming from vehicle. I parked vehicle and smelled smoke...vehicle was taken to area Dodge dealer who concluded alternator went bad. Alternator was replaced on July 28,2014 Dodge 2011 Charger has 60,000 miles.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Charger 6-cyl

I was traveling northbound on a highway at approximately 1730 and my radio screen completely went out, followed by everything else that uses power in the vehicle I started getting several warning lights for breaks, tire pressure, pretty much every warning, vehicle entered battery saver mode while driving. Steering wheel was almost impossible to manipulate maybe after a couple minutes my vehicle completely shut off in the middle of traffic without warning. I was unable to turn on hazards, or roll windows down or do anything with my vehicle, this was very unsafe and could have caused a major accident. The issue seems to stem from the alternator completely failing while driving. This was very stressful for me and everyone involved.

- Aurora , IL, USA

Jul 312014

I was driving home with my 2 kids on the freeway. Battery saver mode message came on. The lights on the dash started flickering. The ABS light and electronic stability lights went on and off. As I was exciting freeway the rpms started jumping up and down. Ac started blowing hot. Radio shut off and the gas pedal barely worked. After that I lost power steering and had to muscle the car around a car in front of me and into a parking lot. The alternator died on me. I have read many other people having the same thing happen to them.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 012014

Charger 6-cyl

Was driving our 2011 Dodge Charger about 45 miles an hour on Florida route 441/obt at 6:30pm on Sunday June 1 when first the radio started turning off and on, then the odometer started moving wildly on the dial, followed by the ac system failing and finally the engine. It was a scary experience, had to put car in park in order to unlock the doors to get out, then car was locked in park so could not be pushed - jumped the car just enough to move it to neutral so it could be pushed into a parking space. Bought a new battery, after 20 minutes driving "very low" battery light came on. So knew it wasn't the battery. Then bought a new alternator, after it installed paid for a diagnostic at the dealership which identified 15 error messages in the electrical system. Since then not comfortable driving this car anywhere but quick close-by errands. Saw a news report that we are not alone dealing with this problem, so I decided we needed to be counted too and filed this report. Thank you for your attention to this problem.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 302014

I was driving on the highway on the way to work this morning. When approaching the gate to enter ft. Bliss, a burning smell was coming from the vents in the car. Within a minute or two of that smell, the cars message center displayed "battery saver mode" on the dashboard. Knowing a little bit about cars, I suspected electrical issues and shut everything off I could in an attempt to be able to limp to my destination. While enroute, the ABS, traction and a variety of other warning lights began appearing and disappearing. I got to my destination and the burning smell was extremely evident. I popped my truck because the battery is located there, but the smell was not coming from that. The battery terminals were hot to the touch. I popped the hood and there was a large amount of smoke coming from the engine. I did not seeing anything obviously wrong with it so I called a tow truck to pick it up. I had the dealer do diagnostics on it and it was proven to be the alternator. I googled 2011 Dodge Charger alternator and one of the first things was this on-going probe into the alternator issue. I have a 36K, 3yr warranty on it. I hit 3yrs in April and just went over the mileage. The dealer is wanting to charge me 842$ for the repairs but I feel it is wrong for them to do that. Nothing should fail at 37K besides manufacturer defect or damage caused from driving. The fact that so many people are having the same issues should lead to a recall in which the manufacturer is responsible for the repairs, not the consumer.

- El Paso , TX, USA