2011 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jul 152014

Charger 6-cyl

Driving and the car started to make a humming sound from the engine. Then out of nowhere car started to blow hot air, the radio went off, "battery safe mode" was on the screen and I could start to smell smoke. I pulled over and tried to figure out what was going on. I was directed to go to either an auto store or the dealership to get a diagnostic ran. I cautiously drove the car (only going about 20 mph tops) to an auto store. They ran a diagnostic and I was told the alternator was shot and that I was the 3rd person this week that had the same issue. I drove my car less than a mile home and the moment that I turned into my apartment complex the car just shut off and smoke was billowing from under the hood. The next day when I tried to turn the car on to get it on the tow truck, the automatic doors wouldn't unlock- the whole car was completely dead! from reading multiple post I'm not sure why Dodge hasn't issued a recall for this. I clearly am not the only one experiencing this pricey issue for such a newer car. I'm just glad all this happened when I was on side streets and not going at a high rate of speed and my child was not in the car with me or else this could be a different story!

- Morrow, GA, USA

Jul 312014

Charger 6-cyl

I was traveling northbound on a highway at approximately 1730 and my radio screen completely went out, followed by everything else that uses power in the vehicle I started getting several warning lights for breaks, tire pressure, pretty much every warning, vehicle entered battery saver mode while driving. Steering wheel was almost impossible to manipulate maybe after a couple minutes my vehicle completely shut off in the middle of traffic without warning. I was unable to turn on hazards, or roll windows down or do anything with my vehicle, this was very unsafe and could have caused a major accident. The issue seems to stem from the alternator completely failing while driving. This was very stressful for me and everyone involved.

- Aurora , IL, USA

Mar 092013

Charger 8-cyl

3/9/13 - vehicle in for oil change. Battery saver mode message displayed on dash 2 miles down the road. Pulled over to check owner's manual which states immediate vehicle service required. To airpark Dodge dealership approx 7 miles down the road and power steering failure and then engine stalls while making left turn through intersection. Had both my children ages 2 and 5 in the vehicle at the time and thankfully no on coming traffic during the turn. 3/12/13 - alternator and battery replaced at airpark Dodge. 4/23/13 (35,690 miles) - vehicle back to airpark Dodge for another battery saver mode message. Source could not be found, no repairs made. 7/25/14 (47,900 miles) - battery saver mode message, no dash lights, no A/C, no power steering, no headlights while doing 30 mph. Vehicle to airpark Dodge again on 7/29/14.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 222012

Charger 6-cyl

Car went into battery saver mode, radio shut off, tried to make it home had to pull over and have towed, alternator was out. We just had to put another alternator on in may of year 2014, same thing, radio out, made it to auto repair shop, the part was on back order because there is such a high demand, we were told this is a common problem in this car.

- Irmo, SC, USA

May 022014

Charger 6-cyl

I recently had to replace the alternator on my 2011 Dodge Charger at a total personal cost of more than $800. Considering that most people these days don't have this type of money just sitting around, it was a very troubling situation. As I was driving down the street I noticed that my vehicle began slowing down without me breaking and the dashboard displays started flickering. Battery save mode was displayed and the car starting making a loud whining sound. That was immediately followed by the smell of something burning and smoke coming from the hood and through the front vents. Of course I was extremely alarmed and at the same time other vehicles were honking at me because my car was going so slow and I was in everyone's way. The burning smell and smoke were so bad that I just knew something had to be on fire. I stopped my vehicle in the street and signaled for drivers to go around me. I called a towing company to have the car taken to the shop since I obviously would not be continuing my commute home. The shop informed my that my alternator was bad and needed to be replaced. That was news that no car owner wants to hear. The cost to me would be over $800 because an aftermarket alternator did not exist for this make and model. This entire matter has had me scared at the time of the incident and pissed at the time of the bill. I have seen tons and tons of complaints on both this website and online in general regarding the bad alternators on the 2011 Dodge Chargers. It's ridiculous that Dodge/Chrysler has not issued a recall for alternators that were installed on these models so that consumers can either avoid this situation or be compensated for the crazy amount of money that we have had to pay to have this problem fixed. I am hoping that everyone who encounters this problem will put in enough complaints to make Dodge/Chrysler take action....updated 07/15/14

- Durham, NC, USA

Jul 052013

Charger 6-cyl

The morning of July 5, 2013 I started my car and all the dash lights came on. It had done this once before but only for a second and then all was fine.this time they didn't turn off and when I started to drive it was making "whining" noise. I called the dealership and told them what was going on. They told me to drive to the dealership right away. They called later that afternoon to tell me it was the alternator was bad and causing a short. Since the car was past 36,000 miles it's not covered under warranty! it cost me about $800 to replace the alternator. I'm not sure what the exact problem was with the alternator, but I just had it at the dealership a month prior for an oil change and they "said" the car checked out fine. I have had numerous issues with this car! 35,5019 miles, they replaced 3 of the 6 pistons, thankfully it was under warranty. 45,778 miles, the alternator failed. Around 50,000 miles, one of the fuel pumps needed to be replaced because it was cracked on the top. The car smelled like gas for a month after fixing it. The mechanic that replaced it said he has never seen them brake like that and it was very odd. Recently at about 57,000, we replaced the actuator in the diver side A/C unit. The noise started about 6 months prior but financially we were unable to repair it until now. It is past the mileage for lemon law but Dodge should not leave the consumer to pay for their mistakes and poor quality.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Feb 022014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and was not taken to a dealer or mechanic for diagnostic testing or repairs. The additionally, the wiring harness for the headlights failed. The headlight wiring harness was replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- San Antanio, TX, USA

Jun 122013

Charger 6-cyl

I was driving going about 40mph and my radio and air start going on and off by it self then I start hearing a wining noise and all the warning lights came on dash and car shut down I tried to start it and nothing info said key not detected I changed battery in remote and got a jump an hour later some thing what causes this problem.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 082011

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph the rpms started to rev up and down. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to identify the failure. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer several times regarding the engine but they were unable to remedy the failure. The failure mileage was 13,800.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Mar 092011

Charger 8-cyl

Under passing conditions with hard and fast acceleration the car does not move and it feels like it is dead this is very dangerous and on many occasions I could have been hit. This is really a bad situation. I have taken it in and they do not believe me that this is possible. This happens anytime that there is a steady or cruising and a need arises for passing or getting out of trouble. The gas pedal would be depressed quickly and hard but nothing happens. The car seems like it dies and then it comes back and starts accelerating. This takes about a second or two. Other times it growls and it does not move. I have talked to Dodge and they cannot duplicate it and frankly they think that I am telling them something that is not possible. In other words they do not believe me.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA