2.0

2011 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jun 032015

Charger

Filled gas tank on way to work. Got in car to go to lunch and noticed a strong gas smell. Called my husband (he is an ase certified master tech, GM master tech.) he informed me there must be a fuel leak. Then the check engine light came on, he put his scanner on it and it pulled a code of P0496 (small leak detected). The smell would go away when the gas level was under 1/2 tank. Would only fill to 1/2 after that. After a week or so the smell would come back with only 1/2 tank of gas. The check engine light has stayed on all this time. Husband pulled the rear seat out on July 11th to discover fuel pooling from the right rear passenger fuel module, the gas was leaking through the plastic. Contacted the Dodge dealership and they were unaware of any problems like this. July 12th we ordered a new Bosch premium fuel pump (part# 67774). On July 17th I ran the fuel down so only 1 gallon was left in tank. Let the car sit for 2 hrs. Husband removed the main pump, which fell apart. Upon removing the primary fuel pump (right side) the pressure was so strong it blew fuel all over him and the interior of the back seat. The pump holds fuel pressure for way to long after it is turned off. Not to mention that there is only 2 pieces of plastic/foam between the fuel pumps and the back seat. That, in itself is dangerous. Is the excessive pressure what caused the plastic fuel pump to crack and allow the fuel to pool on top? I love my car but am very afraid to drive it now. I am not only concerned for my safety but also the safety of anyone sitting in the backseat (kids/grandkids). What if I get rear ended and there is a spark that ignites the pooled fuel, will Chrysler then issue a recall for this problem after my car explodes" there are several complaints on this website for the same issue. Can't the NHTSA do something to help" MA 10/8

- Buford, GA, USA

Jul 082015

Charger

Leaking gas from top of tank or fuel pump

- Citrus Springs, FL, USA

Mar 142015

Charger 6-cyl

I noticed a strong gas smell in and around the car several weeks ago after filling up but I did not overfill or spill gas anywhere. After having a mechanic diagnose the issue he found that the fuel pump under the rear seat on the right side was leaking and had fuel pooling up at the top. As first step he replaced the O-ring seal on the fuel up. After replacing the seal there was no leak initially but it occurred again after the next fill up. So it seems the leak only occurs when the gas tank is full. Since the seal was already replaced but the leak is still there I took it to the Dodge dealer who will have to diagnose it further but they told me that it is most likely the gas tank that is leaking and they have seen many problems like this already and I am not the first one. They also told me that Dodge has updated the fuel tank recently so obviously there is a flaw with the old design which is probably why I am having problems. Not only is this a costly repair which is unfair to consumers but it poses danger since fuel is leaking under the seat and could potentially ignite and set the whole car on fire.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Jan 092015

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the battery power save mode warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the battery and alternator would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. In addition, the contact stated that fuel fumes were present inside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that a seal needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who replaced the fuel pump and fuel tank. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 41,000.

- Encino , CA, USA

Jul 052013

Charger 6-cyl

The morning of July 5, 2013 I started my car and all the dash lights came on. It had done this once before but only for a second and then all was fine.this time they didn't turn off and when I started to drive it was making "whining" noise. I called the dealership and told them what was going on. They told me to drive to the dealership right away. They called later that afternoon to tell me it was the alternator was bad and causing a short. Since the car was past 36,000 miles it's not covered under warranty! it cost me about $800 to replace the alternator. I'm not sure what the exact problem was with the alternator, but I just had it at the dealership a month prior for an oil change and they "said" the car checked out fine. I have had numerous issues with this car! 35,5019 miles, they replaced 3 of the 6 pistons, thankfully it was under warranty. 45,778 miles, the alternator failed. Around 50,000 miles, one of the fuel pumps needed to be replaced because it was cracked on the top. The car smelled like gas for a month after fixing it. The mechanic that replaced it said he has never seen them brake like that and it was very odd. Recently at about 57,000, we replaced the actuator in the diver side A/C unit. The noise started about 6 months prior but financially we were unable to repair it until now. It is past the mileage for lemon law but Dodge should not leave the consumer to pay for their mistakes and poor quality.

- Peoria, AZ, USA