2.0

2011 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 142016

Charger

2011 Dodge Charger with 85,000 miles has strong fuel odor inside the vehicle and on the outside rear passenger panel. Panel code indicated evaporation leak. Dodge tech found fuel pump seal leaking vapor into cabin and fuel under rear passenger seat. Tech replaced the fuel pump and O-rings at a total cost of $525.

- Apex, NC, USA

Sep 012015

Charger

Every time I fill the car up with gas to full I smell fumes inside the car. Also, if the car is parked in my driveway which is at a downward slope, fuel runs down the fuel lines and onto the paved blacktop, leaving two visibly large gasoline stains. Until the car has burned off half of the filled tank, the odor of gasoline is so strong in the interior of the car it gives me bad headaches and I have to roll the windows down to get fresh air. This has been a noticeable problem for 6 months. I have owned this car since July of 2011. I am concerned that the car may catch on fire if I can smell the gasoline fumes from inside my car.

- Woodlawn, TN, USA

Feb 012016

Charger

My alternator went out around 45K miles in 2013/2014. I had it replaced; it has since been recalled, but Dodge refused to acknowledge the issue when it was brought in even though there was a strong smell of something electrical burning along with a loss in electrical power. In 2016, at around 75K miles, fuel started leaking from just in front of the rear passenger-side tire. The gasket between the tank and pump was replaced. After the next fill up, the leak became worse. I had the car towed to another shop. When the tow truck driver was driving it onto the truck, gas was spraying downward with a good amount of pressure. The second shop also suspected the gasket due to the design of the fuel system. They also replaced it, but the leak persisted. After further investigation, the fuel pump assembly had developed a crack. I don't appreciate the thought of driving something that could catch on fire or worse. Apparently, the fuel system was "redesigned" post 2011 models. Dodge refuses to acknowledge that a fuel system issue can result in a major hazard. An oil change shop even commented on the strong gas smell and warned of the danger.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

Feb 082016

Charger

My vehicle was leaking gas near the rear passenger door after I filled up. When I took it to have it checked the dealership told me it was a leaking seal and fixed it. About two weeks later when I filled up again the problem occurred again. After keeping my car for nearly 8 hours the dealership told me that the fuel tank on the car cannot hold the weight of a full tank of gas which causes a separation near the seal which in turn causes the leak. I googled this problem and many people are having the same problem, but Chrysler refuses to pay full cost to repair it. They offered to help pay for the repairs but said they cannot fix it free of charge because it is not a recall and my car is out of warranty.

- Seabrook, SC, USA

Jan 052016

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While the vehicle was parked, a strong smell of fuel was noticed within the vehicle. The contact observed drops of fuel leaking underneath the rear passenger side door. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred when the fuel tank was filled. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Dec 212015

Charger

2011 Dodge Charger / 82,000 miles: Leaking fuel pump/component on passenger side. After a routine fill up an extremely strong odor of gasoline was present inside of the car and outside of the car. Pool of gasoline present near rear tire when vehicle is parked. Removal of backseat revealed a large puddle of gasoline on top of the gas tank. Fuel pump O-ring was replaced but to my disappointment problem persists. Contacted Dodge about issue but they said there were currently no recalls associated with fuel pump equipment and could not point me towards a culprit. Even at less than half a tank the smell is overbearing causing headaches making the car a literal pain to drive. There is a battery cable running in close proximity to the pool of gas and the gas drips below around hot exhaust. I do not feel safe driving the vehicle this way due to the risk of fire or explosion. This is a static component and I feel that it should not simply wear out. There is another issue here that is causing this to happen. Next items to check will be fuel pump and tank itself. Even if issue is resolved I fear that the smell will remain for some time. Really unfortunate for a vehicle that is still being paid for. I hope this gets addressed soon as the fuel pump or fuel tank are not cheap fixes. There seems to be quite a few of identical complaints on here as well as other forums. Logging a complaint now in case a fire occurs that destroys the car, property or injury. Its encouraging to see other have reported the same failure but I cannot locate any recall information.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Dec 112015

Charger

2011 Dodge Charger / 50,733 miles: When adding 5 or more gallons of fuel into the tank, there's a strong odor of gasoline coming from the car and gas is leaking by the back tire. Lifting the seat, there's a puddle of gas. Logging a complaint now in case a fire occurs that destroys the car, property or injury. Its encouraging to see other have reported the same failure but I cannot locate any recall information.

- Hockley, TX, USA

Nov 272015

Charger

Filled up with gas and had a strong smell in car after checking I found out that the gas tank was leaking around the fuel pump seal had it replaced and still leaks if you fill above 3/4 tank this is a fire hazard due to gas leaking on the ground if someone dropped a cig. On the ground where the gas is it could explode and the fumes inside the passenger compartment cant be good for your health, I feel like this is a problem that Chrysler should have to fix.I just purchased the car 11/23/2015

- Chocowinity, NC, USA

Oct 202015

Charger

My Dodge Charger has about a 43,000 miles and I noticed a gasoline odor in my car, so I stopped to look to see if gas was leaking for my car and it was leaking gas coming from the rear passenger side. I had my care towed to my near by mechanic shop and they found that the leak was coming from my fuel pump. I called Dodge to report the issue and they said, its not under warranty. This is unsafe to have gas leaking from a car and especially with just 43,000 miles on the vehicle.

- Gardena, CA, USA

Dec 012015

Charger

Hello I read on a lot of 2011 Chargers of the smell of gas when U fill up the car the inside of the car still smell strong like it's leaking somewhere it says it's a defected gas tank.I have that issue going on now and was wondering why there is no recall for this situation since a lot of people are complaining about this? this is a very dangerous situation since my kids are in the car inhaling these fumes.

- Bainbridge, GA, USA

Nov 042015

Charger

Strong fuel odor noticed after filling up fuel tank. Visible fuel leak notice under right passenger side of car while car parked. Vehicle was taken to independent repair shop. Leak thought to be caused by problem with O-ring on passenger side fuel transfer pump. O-ring replace. Seemed to resolve problem until next fill up. Then leak returned. Seal checked, and another new O-ring installed. Leak continued. Upon closer inspection after vehicle is turned off the honey comb surface of the fuel transfer pump seems to be filling with gas after vehicle is shut off. Mechanic contacted Dodge dealer and was informed that it is a known problem and that a recall has been issued on the hemi models for a similar problem. However no recall in place for the 6 cylinder model. Fuel transfer pump replacement recommended. Not covered by any warrant. As this fuel leak occurs directly under the rear passenger seat and fuel seams to puddle in this area causing fuel vapor to enter passenger compartment this seems to be a legitimate safety hazard and should be addressed immediately by Dodge.

- Dixon, CA, USA

Aug 172015

Charger

After refill inside of the vehicle showed heavy gas smell. Check engine light appeared and disappeared randomly. After 2nd refill gas smell returned. Local dealer suggested evap canister replacement. When checking more thorough it showed during regular idle fuel pump on passenger rear was leaking during pressure build up. Once filled gas started dripping behind right rear wheel near hot exhaust pipe. Afraid that vehicle could catch fire due to battery wiring being located in immediate area of leak.

- Hilo, HI, USA

Aug 072015

Charger

Gas tank rubbing on back seat causeing hole in gas tank leaks into passenger compartment

- Dorset, VT, USA

Aug 142015

Charger

After a repair of the alternator at the end of September and beginning of October 2014, a fuel pump replacement also in October 2014, and the recall replacement of the alternator in June 2015, the check engine soon light on my Dodge Charger lit up again in August 2015. I took it into the dealership for yet another repair only for them to run the check engine light diagnostic and found another fuel system leak. However, they were not able to schedule me for a repair until September 1, 2015. After taking the Charger in for repair, further diagnostic discovered the fuel filler tube was at fault and a replacement was necessary. I have had it repaired and two days later the check engine soon light has lit back up. I had to travel for work so I will update with my next complaint once it has been diagnosed.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 142014

Charger

A week after my initial repair/replacement on the alternator (not covered under recall at the time) of my Charger, the check engine light came on and you could smell gas through the ac system. I took the car into the dealership garage and they scanned the check engine system which returned a minor leak, but due to the fuel smell, they advised I do not drive the car and leave it with them for repair. After further diagnostic I needed to get the right side fuel pump replaced on the car.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 012015

Charger

When filling tank up with gas full. Fumes from gas can be smelled inside car. The engine light came on and got a diagnostic reporting evap leak. I took it to the Dodge dealership and was quoted that gas tank sealed will need replace with fuel pump.

- Kingstree, SC, USA

Jun 082015

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that after refueling, fuel fumes emitted into the vehicle and fuel would accumulate by the rear driver side tire. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 27,000.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 152015

Charger

Vehicle is leaking fuel and filling interior cabin with gasoline fumes after refueling. Gasoline is pooling on the ground when parked. Dodge informed of this problem through customer service. Was informed there was no recall for this problem on this vehicle however, there is a recall for the Dodge challenger hellcat for this same problem.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jul 252015

Charger

On 7-25-15 I filled car up with gas and after doing so smelled a strong gas smell on the inside of the car. I came home and parked the car. My husband went outside near the vehicle and noticed smell and begin to do a walk around the vehical and notice that it was leaking gas from the tank. He immediately went to the inside of the car and pulled out the back seat and notice the gas were come from around the seal of the gas tank. He said we need to get some of the gas out of the tank. We drive it a distance to see if the smell would go away but it never did until it were at a half of tank. He then on 7-27-15 replaced the seal and went back to the gas station to fill the car up again and the strong fuel smell returned and the tank being leaking again. I then started to look and see if there has been a recall on this issue and noticed it seems to be a know dangerous issue with the gas tank on this vehicle that needs to be looked into asap. I am so afraid that if some throws something flammable near this vehicle its going to ignite. Very dangerous and needs resolving!!

- Macon, GA, USA