1.9

2011 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Feb 082016

Charger

My vehicle was leaking gas near the rear passenger door after I filled up. When I took it to have it checked the dealership told me it was a leaking seal and fixed it. About two weeks later when I filled up again the problem occurred again. After keeping my car for nearly 8 hours the dealership told me that the fuel tank on the car cannot hold the weight of a full tank of gas which causes a separation near the seal which in turn causes the leak. I googled this problem and many people are having the same problem, but Chrysler refuses to pay full cost to repair it. They offered to help pay for the repairs but said they cannot fix it free of charge because it is not a recall and my car is out of warranty.

- Seabrook, SC, USA

Jan 052016

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While the vehicle was parked, a strong smell of fuel was noticed within the vehicle. The contact observed drops of fuel leaking underneath the rear passenger side door. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred when the fuel tank was filled. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Dec 212015

Charger

2011 Dodge Charger / 82,000 miles: Leaking fuel pump/component on passenger side. After a routine fill up an extremely strong odor of gasoline was present inside of the car and outside of the car. Pool of gasoline present near rear tire when vehicle is parked. Removal of backseat revealed a large puddle of gasoline on top of the gas tank. Fuel pump O-ring was replaced but to my disappointment problem persists. Contacted Dodge about issue but they said there were currently no recalls associated with fuel pump equipment and could not point me towards a culprit. Even at less than half a tank the smell is overbearing causing headaches making the car a literal pain to drive. There is a battery cable running in close proximity to the pool of gas and the gas drips below around hot exhaust. I do not feel safe driving the vehicle this way due to the risk of fire or explosion. This is a static component and I feel that it should not simply wear out. There is another issue here that is causing this to happen. Next items to check will be fuel pump and tank itself. Even if issue is resolved I fear that the smell will remain for some time. Really unfortunate for a vehicle that is still being paid for. I hope this gets addressed soon as the fuel pump or fuel tank are not cheap fixes. There seems to be quite a few of identical complaints on here as well as other forums. Logging a complaint now in case a fire occurs that destroys the car, property or injury. Its encouraging to see other have reported the same failure but I cannot locate any recall information.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Dec 112015

Charger

2011 Dodge Charger / 50,733 miles: When adding 5 or more gallons of fuel into the tank, there's a strong odor of gasoline coming from the car and gas is leaking by the back tire. Lifting the seat, there's a puddle of gas. Logging a complaint now in case a fire occurs that destroys the car, property or injury. Its encouraging to see other have reported the same failure but I cannot locate any recall information.

- Hockley, TX, USA

Nov 272015

Charger

Filled up with gas and had a strong smell in car after checking I found out that the gas tank was leaking around the fuel pump seal had it replaced and still leaks if you fill above 3/4 tank this is a fire hazard due to gas leaking on the ground if someone dropped a cig. On the ground where the gas is it could explode and the fumes inside the passenger compartment cant be good for your health, I feel like this is a problem that Chrysler should have to fix.I just purchased the car 11/23/2015

- Chocowinity, NC, USA

Oct 202015

Charger

My Dodge Charger has about a 43,000 miles and I noticed a gasoline odor in my car, so I stopped to look to see if gas was leaking for my car and it was leaking gas coming from the rear passenger side. I had my care towed to my near by mechanic shop and they found that the leak was coming from my fuel pump. I called Dodge to report the issue and they said, its not under warranty. This is unsafe to have gas leaking from a car and especially with just 43,000 miles on the vehicle.

- Gardena, CA, USA

Dec 012015

Charger

Hello I read on a lot of 2011 Chargers of the smell of gas when U fill up the car the inside of the car still smell strong like it's leaking somewhere it says it's a defected gas tank.I have that issue going on now and was wondering why there is no recall for this situation since a lot of people are complaining about this? this is a very dangerous situation since my kids are in the car inhaling these fumes.

- Bainbridge, GA, USA

Nov 042015

Charger

Strong fuel odor noticed after filling up fuel tank. Visible fuel leak notice under right passenger side of car while car parked. Vehicle was taken to independent repair shop. Leak thought to be caused by problem with O-ring on passenger side fuel transfer pump. O-ring replace. Seemed to resolve problem until next fill up. Then leak returned. Seal checked, and another new O-ring installed. Leak continued. Upon closer inspection after vehicle is turned off the honey comb surface of the fuel transfer pump seems to be filling with gas after vehicle is shut off. Mechanic contacted Dodge dealer and was informed that it is a known problem and that a recall has been issued on the hemi models for a similar problem. However no recall in place for the 6 cylinder model. Fuel transfer pump replacement recommended. Not covered by any warrant. As this fuel leak occurs directly under the rear passenger seat and fuel seams to puddle in this area causing fuel vapor to enter passenger compartment this seems to be a legitimate safety hazard and should be addressed immediately by Dodge.

- Dixon, CA, USA

Aug 172015

Charger

After refill inside of the vehicle showed heavy gas smell. Check engine light appeared and disappeared randomly. After 2nd refill gas smell returned. Local dealer suggested evap canister replacement. When checking more thorough it showed during regular idle fuel pump on passenger rear was leaking during pressure build up. Once filled gas started dripping behind right rear wheel near hot exhaust pipe. Afraid that vehicle could catch fire due to battery wiring being located in immediate area of leak.

- Hilo, HI, USA

Aug 072015

Charger

Gas tank rubbing on back seat causeing hole in gas tank leaks into passenger compartment

- Dorset, VT, USA

Aug 142015

Charger

After a repair of the alternator at the end of September and beginning of October 2014, a fuel pump replacement also in October 2014, and the recall replacement of the alternator in June 2015, the check engine soon light on my Dodge Charger lit up again in August 2015. I took it into the dealership for yet another repair only for them to run the check engine light diagnostic and found another fuel system leak. However, they were not able to schedule me for a repair until September 1, 2015. After taking the Charger in for repair, further diagnostic discovered the fuel filler tube was at fault and a replacement was necessary. I have had it repaired and two days later the check engine soon light has lit back up. I had to travel for work so I will update with my next complaint once it has been diagnosed.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 142014

Charger

A week after my initial repair/replacement on the alternator (not covered under recall at the time) of my Charger, the check engine light came on and you could smell gas through the ac system. I took the car into the dealership garage and they scanned the check engine system which returned a minor leak, but due to the fuel smell, they advised I do not drive the car and leave it with them for repair. After further diagnostic I needed to get the right side fuel pump replaced on the car.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 012015

Charger

When filling tank up with gas full. Fumes from gas can be smelled inside car. The engine light came on and got a diagnostic reporting evap leak. I took it to the Dodge dealership and was quoted that gas tank sealed will need replace with fuel pump.

- Kingstree, SC, USA

Jun 082015

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that after refueling, fuel fumes emitted into the vehicle and fuel would accumulate by the rear driver side tire. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 27,000.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 152015

Charger

Vehicle is leaking fuel and filling interior cabin with gasoline fumes after refueling. Gasoline is pooling on the ground when parked. Dodge informed of this problem through customer service. Was informed there was no recall for this problem on this vehicle however, there is a recall for the Dodge challenger hellcat for this same problem.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jul 252015

Charger

On 7-25-15 I filled car up with gas and after doing so smelled a strong gas smell on the inside of the car. I came home and parked the car. My husband went outside near the vehicle and noticed smell and begin to do a walk around the vehical and notice that it was leaking gas from the tank. He immediately went to the inside of the car and pulled out the back seat and notice the gas were come from around the seal of the gas tank. He said we need to get some of the gas out of the tank. We drive it a distance to see if the smell would go away but it never did until it were at a half of tank. He then on 7-27-15 replaced the seal and went back to the gas station to fill the car up again and the strong fuel smell returned and the tank being leaking again. I then started to look and see if there has been a recall on this issue and noticed it seems to be a know dangerous issue with the gas tank on this vehicle that needs to be looked into asap. I am so afraid that if some throws something flammable near this vehicle its going to ignite. Very dangerous and needs resolving!!

- Macon, GA, USA

Jul 252015

- Macon, GA, USA

Jun 032015

Charger

Filled gas tank on way to work. Got in car to go to lunch and noticed a strong gas smell. Called my husband (he is an ase certified master tech, GM master tech.) he informed me there must be a fuel leak. Then the check engine light came on, he put his scanner on it and it pulled a code of P0496 (small leak detected). The smell would go away when the gas level was under 1/2 tank. Would only fill to 1/2 after that. After a week or so the smell would come back with only 1/2 tank of gas. The check engine light has stayed on all this time. Husband pulled the rear seat out on July 11th to discover fuel pooling from the right rear passenger fuel module, the gas was leaking through the plastic. Contacted the Dodge dealership and they were unaware of any problems like this. July 12th we ordered a new Bosch premium fuel pump (part# 67774). On July 17th I ran the fuel down so only 1 gallon was left in tank. Let the car sit for 2 hrs. Husband removed the main pump, which fell apart. Upon removing the primary fuel pump (right side) the pressure was so strong it blew fuel all over him and the interior of the back seat. The pump holds fuel pressure for way to long after it is turned off. Not to mention that there is only 2 pieces of plastic/foam between the fuel pumps and the back seat. That, in itself is dangerous. Is the excessive pressure what caused the plastic fuel pump to crack and allow the fuel to pool on top? I love my car but am very afraid to drive it now. I am not only concerned for my safety but also the safety of anyone sitting in the backseat (kids/grandkids). What if I get rear ended and there is a spark that ignites the pooled fuel, will Chrysler then issue a recall for this problem after my car explodes" there are several complaints on this website for the same issue. Can't the NHTSA do something to help" MA 10/8

- Buford, GA, USA

Jul 082015

Charger

Leaking gas from top of tank or fuel pump

- Citrus Springs, FL, USA

Mar 142015

Charger 6-cyl

I noticed a strong gas smell in and around the car several weeks ago after filling up but I did not overfill or spill gas anywhere. After having a mechanic diagnose the issue he found that the fuel pump under the rear seat on the right side was leaking and had fuel pooling up at the top. As first step he replaced the O-ring seal on the fuel up. After replacing the seal there was no leak initially but it occurred again after the next fill up. So it seems the leak only occurs when the gas tank is full. Since the seal was already replaced but the leak is still there I took it to the Dodge dealer who will have to diagnose it further but they told me that it is most likely the gas tank that is leaking and they have seen many problems like this already and I am not the first one. They also told me that Dodge has updated the fuel tank recently so obviously there is a flaw with the old design which is probably why I am having problems. Not only is this a costly repair which is unfair to consumers but it poses danger since fuel is leaking under the seat and could potentially ignite and set the whole car on fire.

- Pearland, TX, USA