2011 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 232016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that a fuel odor was present inside and outside of the vehicle. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Horn Lake, MS, USA

Aug 242016

As I approached my car there was a heavy odor of fuel. The next morning under the back right tire there was a puddle of fuel. I removed the back seat and under the cover there was a puddle of fuel on top of the plastic of the gas tank. Dodge has been clearly made aware of this issue and since changed the design of the gas tank. For me to replace it would cost me over $2,000. This should be replaced by Dodge asap. This puts my family and I in grave danger being that of the electrical wire that run along side the unit. This only happens when I fill my tank and it is a continual drip. I contacted Dodge and they said they "know" nothing of such issues. All it will take a one dropped cigarette to close to the car and things will be bad.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Sep 092016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that there was a strong fuel odor in the vehicle and a fuel leak. The check engine warning indicator illuminated. The dealer diagnosed that the fuel filler tube needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired due to the part being on national back order. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 123,115.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Jul 012016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While driving at various speeds and while the vehicle was in park, a strong fuel odor emitted from the inner and outer part of the vehicle. In addition, there was fuel leaking underneath the rear passenger side of the vehicle. The check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but the contact was unsure about what part needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jul 062016

We have a gas smell for some time, and we took it to dealer ship and they did not find anything, this happened when we have a full thank, so this morning I did it and we can see the gas leak from the tank and we are scare that this may catch on fire, .I read that there is 6 complaints about the same thing. And they tried to fix it, .and cost like 2000, . please make sure that they do something before something happend, .

- Grandview, WA, USA

Aug 252016

Strong odor of gasoline whenever gas tank is full. Will make driver light headed.

- Maxwell, TX, USA

Aug 132016

I filled my car up, 20 minutes later, the car reeked of gas. I got out and looked under the vehicle, and there's gas leaking for the passenger side by the back tire. I looked online, and there are complaint's dating back to 2012. Including ones on this site. I'm hoping Dodge issues a recall soon. Because I'm concerned about my family's safety.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 012016

Gas leaks when tank is above 3/4 fuel. It leaks beside the right rear tire, and it gives off a very strong odor inside cabin. This is a hazardous situation. The gas will leak until under 3/4 tank of gas.

- Clinton, MS, USA

Aug 152015

About 30 minutes after refueling I noticed a strong fuel inside and around the vehicle. The first time I didn't think much of it thinking the maybe fuel spilled doing refueling. On the next fill up I noticed the same odor. This time I decided to check to see where the odor was coming from. While parked, I noticed fuel was leaking from under the car near the rear right passenger door. It was a continuous drip. I called the dealership about the issue and to see if there has been other complaints/ recalls. They stated that they was not aware of this problem. Then I researched online and found out that there had been other complaints of the same problem. This is a very serious problem and need immediate attention. This problem could cause some serious injury or even death. Due to the cost of the repair, I have not been able to get this fix. I have noticed as long as I didn't fill the tank pass 3/4 tank, the fuel doesn't leak. Please look into this matter!

- Flovilla, GA, USA

Mar 022016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While the vehicle was parked and after refueling, a strong odor of fuel was noticed. The contact noticed fuel leaking from an unknown area of the rear passenger side and the engine check warning light illuminated. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was refueled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel tank was leaking and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Oct 012015

Out of no where and for the past 8-10mo., my 2011 Charger has been leaking fuel. Anytime the vehicle is filled with fuel over 3/4 full, it leaks onto the ground of the passenger side back tire and fumes fill the cabin, so badly you can't drive it unless all the windows are down, so your not asphyxiated by the fumes. The fuel odor is so bad that you could smell it from a distance in my drive way.the engine light is on for this reason and my A/C recirculate will not work (as a safety precaution), as well as the auto start on the key fob. I took it into the shop and they replaced the first seal. All seamed to be fine until I filled up with gas which was the day after the repair. I took it back to the shop and they said that there was a side seal that needed to be replaced. That repair did not fix the issue. I got under my car to see where it was leaking from and how much was leaking and I shot a video. I couldn't attach the video, but it appears that it is leaking directly from the tank itself. From what I have read on other complaints it is a manufacture's defect of the tank itself, and over time can not support the weight of the fuel. With the battery and cable's being extremely close to the location of the tank and leak, this is an explosion waiting to happen. If someone drops or lights a cigarette near or by this location it is an explosion waiting to happen. Merely starting the vehicle is a risk. The investigation regarding this issue needs to be accelerated. Its sad that people have to be seriously injured or die, before something is rectified. The vehicle is not old enough for it to be a "wear and tear" issue. This is a manufacturing defect that needs to be addressed and a recall needs to be issued.

- Milton, FL, USA

May 312016

2 weeks ago I purchased this vehicle from a used car lot. This was the first time filling the fuel tank all the way. Once I left the gas station I started smelling gas fumes. Once the car was parked I noticed it leaking gas under the passenger side in front of the back wheel. 3 days later noticed it went from having a full tank to missing an 1/8 of a tank. While it was sitting at work it continuously dripped fuel until I had a flatbed pick it up to take it back to the lot. Pulled the back seat and the cover for the fuel pump and there was standing gas around the fuel pump. Very bad design to have the fuel pump at an angle for it to leak that bad if a seal goes bad.

- Westfield, IN, USA

May 252016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While parked, the vehicle leaked fuel in the rear passenger wheel weld, near the exhaust pipe and the battery line. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer to be repaired. The O-ring around the fuel tank was replaced, but the issue recurred. The vehicle smelled of fuel and dripped gasoline into the cabin of the vehicle. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Scranton, PA, USA

Apr 292016

I have been doing research on any cars like mine suffering from the same problem. Yes they are. My problem is that since Friday the 29th of April my car started smelling like gasoline. I feel that this is a serious safety hazard. With the electrical devices and heat generating devices this could end up a death related catastrophe. My complaint is why haven't you as a safety organization done something about this. People with this type of vehicle know it is a problem and even when I took my car to the dealer they knew. I am 72 years old on a fixed income of rather miserly means and I can't afford to protect my family because of Chrysler Corp. Failure to do so. I just got a call from my dealer and the cost of fixing my car is over $500. Is there something you an do to help us?

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Apr 292016

My serpentine belt keep coming off just paid $450 to fix 4 months ago now it's come off again!

- Detroit, MI, USA

Mar 142016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While the vehicle was parked, the contact smelled a strong odor of fuel inside and outside the vehicle continuously. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that an accumulation of fuel leaked onto the fuel pump. The mechanic placed an O-ring onto the fuel pump. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,718.

- Hampton, GA, USA

Mar 212016

I purchased a 2011 dodger Charger 1week ago from texan Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram in humble tx. I test drive the car on a half tank of gas no problem at the time until I decided to buy the car off a trade in. Deal went great im on my way back houston I notice the gas tank is full know 20 min into the ride I start smelling gas. So I roll the window down got home lift up the back seat I notice the gas smell has gotten stronger now iam looking at the fuel pump with gas on top one spark hole car could have blew up...these mechanic are a F..K.. joke what ever happen to safercars..

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 142016

2011 Dodge Charger with 85,000 miles has strong fuel odor inside the vehicle and on the outside rear passenger panel. Panel code indicated evaporation leak. Dodge tech found fuel pump seal leaking vapor into cabin and fuel under rear passenger seat. Tech replaced the fuel pump and O-rings at a total cost of $525.

- Apex, NC, USA

Sep 012015

Every time I fill the car up with gas to full I smell fumes inside the car. Also, if the car is parked in my driveway which is at a downward slope, fuel runs down the fuel lines and onto the paved blacktop, leaving two visibly large gasoline stains. Until the car has burned off half of the filled tank, the odor of gasoline is so strong in the interior of the car it gives me bad headaches and I have to roll the windows down to get fresh air. This has been a noticeable problem for 6 months. I have owned this car since July of 2011. I am concerned that the car may catch on fire if I can smell the gasoline fumes from inside my car.

- Woodlawn, TN, USA

Feb 012016

My alternator went out around 45K miles in 2013/2014. I had it replaced; it has since been recalled, but Dodge refused to acknowledge the issue when it was brought in even though there was a strong smell of something electrical burning along with a loss in electrical power. In 2016, at around 75K miles, fuel started leaking from just in front of the rear passenger-side tire. The gasket between the tank and pump was replaced. After the next fill up, the leak became worse. I had the car towed to another shop. When the tow truck driver was driving it onto the truck, gas was spraying downward with a good amount of pressure. The second shop also suspected the gasket due to the design of the fuel system. They also replaced it, but the leak persisted. After further investigation, the fuel pump assembly had developed a crack. I don't appreciate the thought of driving something that could catch on fire or worse. Apparently, the fuel system was "redesigned" post 2011 models. Dodge refuses to acknowledge that a fuel system issue can result in a major hazard. An oil change shop even commented on the strong gas smell and warned of the danger.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA