2011 Dodge Charger steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 032016

I was driving, with my son in the car, and my electrical system completely failed. My windows, steering, brakes, and etc. Stopped working while I was driving. Behind me was an log truck fully loaded. Thanks god there was just enough space for him to swurve around my car. This could have been a deadly accident. This all happen while my car was moving and I was able to get in a safe position before stopping the car. After it stopped, nothing worked in the vehicle.

- Bassfield, MS, USA

Sep 252015

I was driving back home from work when my steering wheel locked on the freeway. All these lights came up on the dashboard from traction ABS battery came on. Luckily I could pull over I shut the car off and turned it back on but it did it another 3 times before I got home very unsafe.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

May 062015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While driving at high speeds, the steering wheel column abnormally vibrated. The contact discovered that the spoiler failed. The contact also experienced wobbling in the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 69,000.

- Brighton, CO, USA

Jun 202015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While driving approximately 35 mph, an unknown warning light illuminated and the power steering failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 34,000.

- Oak Brook, IL, USA

Feb 162015

Charger 6-cyl

Car completely lost power while approaching red light a red light. First radio stop working, turned completely off, wouldn't come on. Then lost control and all power to vehicle.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 032014

My Charger completely shut off while I was driving and I was forced to glide to a stop in traffic. The dashboard, brakes, and steering all shut off at once. I was then unable to turn the car back on and forced to tow it out of traffic.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 282014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel seized. The brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond and the battery saver mode and check engine warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic where it was diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,550.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 122014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 55 mph, the steering wheel seized and the vehicle stalled as the battery saving mode warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a private mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Oct 252014

Charger 6-cyl

While leaving walmart the car started to make a whining loud noise that came from under the hood at the same time my car made a sound and battery saver mode came on. The lights flickered ABS & traction lit up on the dashboard. The radio stopped playing and wouldn't come back on. As I started to slow down the car stopped completely. I wasn't able to move the wheel and the brakes wouldn't work. I called my nco for a jump but it didn't help. The car battery was completely dead. I notified Chrysler and is waiting for a call back as it seems there will be a recall but it wont start until Nov 28. Being in the army I need transportation I hope Chrysler don't think I am suppose to go without a car until they start the recall... this is a disgrace, I had a Chevy mailbu from 2007-2012 and it never once had a recall let alone 5, worked like a charm! our next family car was going to be a 2014 Chrysler 300 but now we will be looking back into Chevy!!!

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Oct 062014

Charger 6-cyl

This is the third day in a row of getting battery saver mode message in ivic. First day it came on while I was driving at approx. 50 mph and experienced power loss (radio shutting off, lights on dash illuminating, loss of steering, etc.) within 5 minutes. Pulled alternator (replaced both battery and alternator in may after same issue) and shop said it tested fine. Battery also tested fine. Put alternator and battery back in and car started up and drove for over an hour with no issues. Next day while sitting in traffic car again went into battery saver mode and I experienced same power loss within a few minutes. Called dealership after I parked at work and was told to bring it in right away. Went back outside to see if car would start and there were no issues. Car ran fine and drove fine for over an hour straight and the rest of the day. This morning I got the battery saver mode message while at a stop sign! I turned the car off and back on and car is still fine so far. I am afraid that something serious will happen while I have my kids in the car.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Oct 062014

Charger 6-cyl

Driving with my daughter in the car in heavy morning traffic and ivic message came on stating car was in battery saver mode. Second time in 4 months this has happened (got alternator and battery tested and replaced the first time) so I immediately turned around to head back home. By the time I got near my neighborhood about 5 minutes later everything was shutting off and I could only go 25 mph with no power steering. About a minute or so before the ivic message I noticed a slight whining coming from my engine compartment. If I jump the battery, car starts but still in battery saver mode.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Aug 202014

Driving home at approximately 45mph, the message screen indicated "battery saver mode". at this time, the radio shut itself off, the air conditioning switched to full-blast heat, the speedometer stopped working, all lights shut off, the windshield wipers came on for a few swipes and then stopped, and the throttle response to the accelerator pedal would only allow me to reach around 30mph (on a 50mph highway). I managed to get the car into my neighborhood, but it died before I could park it. I had to put it in neutral and push it into a parking space.

- Crofton, MD, USA

Oct 032014

Charger 6-cyl

I was pulling into the residential area that I live in at approximately 17 mph and my stereo shut off, and I noticed on the dashboard a warning message that read "power saving mode" then the ABS light and the stability control light came on along with the lightning bolt came on, then the air shut off and it felt like the heater was turned on, the dashboard show the temperature being 105 and there was a weird smell that came through the ac vents. I was able to push the vehicle into my driveway and upon opening the hood of the vehicle you could feel the heat immediately and when attempting to jump start the car the car would turn on but then when the jumper cables where removed the vehicle's wipers began to wipe and the same issues as before began occurring. I called one of my friends that is a Dodge technician and he said that based on the information I told him he was 95% sure that it was a bad alternator. This is a 2011 Dodge Charger with 66,000 miles. This should be recalled immediately to help those that have had this problem and to avoid any more owners have this problem.

- Orange, CA, USA

Sep 032014

Charger 6-cyl

I have a 2011 Dodge Charger that I saved up a long time to buy. Last week on 9/3/14 on my to take my kids to school the audio in the car went out. The touch screen still had functionality just no audio, figured a fuse may have blown. Check the fuses and everything seemed ok. Later on the same day, on the way to pick the kids up from school the radio was working fine. I approached a intersection and started to slow down when the radio cut off. The car started puttering and the inside gauges began flashing and the wipers just turned on by themselves. Next thing I know everything in the car shut off. The radio, the engine, the lights, everything. I could not get it to go into neutral to push the car out of the road because nothing in the car would come on.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 242014

Charger 6-cyl

On 8/24 I was driving about 30 mph when my car started cutting out. The radio went off, my engine died and my steering locked. I almost hit a pedestrian and what could have been a few cars but I was able to avoid it. I stopped and was able to start my car to get it to the side of the road. I had it towed home, next day I had it towed to momentum Dodge because I looked online and had 3 recalls, door handles, headlights and I don't know the 3rd one. I was hoping it was the problem. It was not. I then had my car towed to another shop who verified my alternator is out. As of now the only place I can the find the alternator is, of course, the Dodge dealer which I cannot afford.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Aug 132014

Charger 6-cyl

Without warning while driving at highway speeds I began to smell a plastic melting smell. Almost immediately the radio shut off and I got a "battery saver mode" message. Within seconds the car's engine quit. When the engine stopped so did all power to the controls including steering and brakes. When got the car to the side of the road I could see visible blue smoke coming from the front of the passenger's side engine compartment. Popped the hood and identified that the smoke was coming from the alternator. Car would not start again. Had towed to shop and alternator is shot. Apparently there is a 2 to 3 week back order due to high demand related to failed alternators. I could have been killed or killed others easily when I lost power at highway speed.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Jul 312014

Charger 6-cyl

I was traveling northbound on a highway at approximately 1730 and my radio screen completely went out, followed by everything else that uses power in the vehicle I started getting several warning lights for breaks, tire pressure, pretty much every warning, vehicle entered battery saver mode while driving. Steering wheel was almost impossible to manipulate maybe after a couple minutes my vehicle completely shut off in the middle of traffic without warning. I was unable to turn on hazards, or roll windows down or do anything with my vehicle, this was very unsafe and could have caused a major accident. The issue seems to stem from the alternator completely failing while driving. This was very stressful for me and everyone involved.

- Aurora , IL, USA

Jul 312014

I was driving home with my 2 kids on the freeway. Battery saver mode message came on. The lights on the dash started flickering. The ABS light and electronic stability lights went on and off. As I was exciting freeway the rpms started jumping up and down. Ac started blowing hot. Radio shut off and the gas pedal barely worked. After that I lost power steering and had to muscle the car around a car in front of me and into a parking lot. The alternator died on me. I have read many other people having the same thing happen to them.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 092013

Charger 8-cyl

3/9/13 - vehicle in for oil change. Battery saver mode message displayed on dash 2 miles down the road. Pulled over to check owner's manual which states immediate vehicle service required. To airpark Dodge dealership approx 7 miles down the road and power steering failure and then engine stalls while making left turn through intersection. Had both my children ages 2 and 5 in the vehicle at the time and thankfully no on coming traffic during the turn. 3/12/13 - alternator and battery replaced at airpark Dodge. 4/23/13 (35,690 miles) - vehicle back to airpark Dodge for another battery saver mode message. Source could not be found, no repairs made. 7/25/14 (47,900 miles) - battery saver mode message, no dash lights, no A/C, no power steering, no headlights while doing 30 mph. Vehicle to airpark Dodge again on 7/29/14.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 202014

Charger 6-cyl

While driving on Sunday evening around 8:30 pm about 2 miles from my home going to get some cold medicines my car all of a sudden the radio stop working and it started stalling and my ABS brakes light and traction control lights came on and was about to cut off and everything just stop working was able to get it off the road. Remember smelling something that was burning no smoke or fire have done research on the internet and there are several complaints about people having the same problem with the same amount of mileage as my car or lesser. Did call Dodge and they had no complaints they claim of this problem but it could have happen due to a recent recall they call a M10. No other assistance from the maker of this car but it needs to be investigated period.if it is the alternator and battery it is costing over $1000 to get the repairs done and this is bad when the warranty just went out on it. Not including car note and car insurance.

- Douglasville, GA, USA