2012 Dodge Charger electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Charger:

2012 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 7 of 10)

Nov 302014

As I was driving I noticed a weird noise under the hood followed by the battery saver mode come in the vehicles dash. Next I began to smell a burning smell, so I pulled over and cut the car off to investigate. I saw nothing unusual. I continued home and while enroute my dash lights began to flash and the car began driving sluggish. Then the vehicle lost power and suddenly stop in the middle of traffic. Car would not start and had to get a tow. At the shop mechanic said it was the altenator. Sooooo $600 later car was fixed.

- Capitol Heights , MD, USA

Oct 122014

Charger 6-cyl

My car was stalling or slipping as I drove, and I got to a grocery car and parked it, I cut it off and when I came back and tried to restart it. It was dead. I called aaa, and he said my alternator was bad and it was causing my battery to go dead. I got it home and haven't drove it since. The Dodge dealership told me the price of the alternator so I started driving my other car. I then checked to see if anyone else was having the issue. I was surprised to see a recall, when I called my dealer they said they didn't know about it and I would have to wait until it came out if it was really a recall. I called Chrysler and they told me I would have to wait as well, while it was under investigation. I haven't drove my car in a month, waiting on Nov. 28th, but today I found this website and decided to add my experience. So glad I wasn't driving when this happened.

- Dalton, GA, USA

Nov 012014

I was on my way to my residence, and my vehicle just shut off without warning and in traffic. I could have bee injured. I had to push it to my house. I tried to start it, but it would not crank. I had it towed to the nearest Dodge dealer and was told my alternator failed and killed my battery.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Aug 142014

Drove the car to work battery saver light came on went off. Was driving home from work picked up the kids was on my way back to work place and once arrived turned car off once I got back in car it smelled like electrical burnt smell wouldn't start ac was blowing a burnt smell wipers started going crazy, all dash board lights were flickering flashing then nothing. Wouldn't do anything... just died.. after purchasing an alternator through Dodge $585 note for a 2012 model is insane. I had to have the car towed another $65 the car is extremely loud which I was told was when alternator went out it over stressed the fan. The heater went out last week which ended up being a regulator or something part this car is a lemon nothing but issues since I bought it..

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Sep 102014

I had just got off of the high way and it appeared that my car wasn't driving to it's full speed. As I got a bit closer to my destination my radio cut off and the ABS light came on. As I pulled in the driveway the car shut off and I tried to start it back but the power was out from there. I had no clue what happen I just figured that a light may have been left on accidentally or something but that wasn't the case. I tried to get a jump but the car started literally for 10 seconds and no more after that.

- Jonesboro , GA, USA

Nov 122014

I pulled out of driveway & I felt my car was running funny I turned on the highway and the check battery light came on. I then stopped at the nearest gas station which was about 2 blocks away. I then started to lose power as I got to the gas station. My car entered battery save mode. I popped the hood & the alternator was smoking. It smelled burnt. Needless to say if I kept driving I could have crashed because you lose control of your vehicle. I can see its a nationwide problem for this car & nothing has been done. Some people have actually crashed & others there engines have caught fire. I did my research on it.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Nov 052014

Charger 6-cyl

Driving home from work I noticed a thick white smoke and odd sounds worried about a fire I pulled over immediately and retrieved fire extinguisher from my truck, thank goodness I didn't end up needing it. Very scary with my little buckled into a car seat in the back. A car burns way faster then people think.

- Laporte, TX, USA

Oct 302014

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the alternator failed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the problem. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- Popular Bluff, MO, USA

Oct 262014

My husband was driving on the highway with my 3 children and myself in his 2012 Dodge Charger on Sunday, 10.26.14. The cars dash started getting wacky, going on and off. The car started to stall and thank god we were able to pull over. We shut the car off and then it did not start. We waited about 10-15 minutes and then it started back up. We started driving back home and it did it again and it made a weird noise. We shut it off again. While the car was off it was still going wacky with the ring as if the door was open and the lights were flickering and stating the key was not detected. The steering wheel was hard maneuver. We went online and there are a lot of recalls on this car. We were blessed we did not get into an accident. My husband is calling Chrysler today regarding this issue.

- Paterson , NJ, USA

Sep 292014

Charger 6-cyl

I was driving my vehicle in rush hour, stop and go traffic. I came to a stop because of traffic congestion and my ABS and other warning lights became illuminated. There was no previous warning. The car ceased to function. Electric systems were locked and I was left immobile in the middle of traffic. I called a local tow truck from my cell phone and the car was towed to the local dealer. The diagnosis was alternator and battery needed to be replaced. The car was running fine in the days/weeks leading up to this incident.

- Port Jefferson, NY, USA

Oct 212014

Charger 6-cyl

Hello. Yesterday, I was driving on a city street 35 mph and I received an error message battery saver mode. I had never seen this before, all of a sudden my car starting going slower and slower. I was very lucky that I was at my destination before the car finally shut off. I could not do anything. My car would not do anything. I called aaa, I could not access the trunk. I am so glad my car doors were not locked. I had my daughter climb behind the back seat to lift the trunk. Aaa checked my battery through the trunk and kept saying something is still on. My car was still in start although the car was completely shut off. Then when he tried charging my battery, it was still draining. I am so glad the car did not shut off while I was on the highway (which I travel frequently with my children). I have learned that my alternator is bad. Now I have to pay out of pocket for an alternator for a 2012 car, a 2012222222222 car! I can not even believe it! contacted Chrysler and the rep told me if I take it to an independent shop there is not a guarantee I could receive my money back soooooo now I have to tow it to a dealer, which means there is more out of pocket expense. This is crazy and I expect so much more from such a long term company. I am livid that my car completely shut down on me and am thankful that my children and I are safe.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 202014

Charger 6-cyl

I took my car in for routine engine oil replacement and tire rotation. After receiving it back I noticed a humming sound coming from the engine and the dash information center telling me that the car is now in battery saver mode.. reading through the forums it seems this has been happening with people driving the same car as me and this has always led to engine failure and possible fire or accident. Prior to this incident, for the past 2-3 months, the airbag warning light has been coming on and off intermittently for no reason, regardless of anything on me seats.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Oct 182014

I was driving on the freeway going about 55 mph and all of a sudden I noticed a message appear on my car stating "battery on safe mode". a few minutes after that message appeared I noticed the brake light popped up, along with the battery sign, and fuel light. As I exited the freeway I started smelling smoke so I pulled into a gas station. My car completely shut off. All power was gone. I tried jump starting the car a few times. The first time I never got a charge. The second time I let the car sit 5 mins to charge and was able to get power but the same messages appeared and the car would not start. The 3rd and finally time I tried, the power cut on but once I disconnected the cables the power shut down again. I ended up getting the car towed and later found out the battery was drained due to the alternator being bad. So the alternator went out. I'm glad I was able to pull into the gas station that day, instead of the car shutting down on the freeway. I could have been in a serious accident.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 162014

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the no battery saver mode warning light illuminated. The contact also stated that the entire instrument panel lights flickered and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- New Port Ritchie, FL, USA

Oct 092014

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle had whining noise coming from the engine while driving. Stopped and checked vehicle and it appeared to be coming from the alternator. Also had a burning smell. When driving home, the radio shut off and car went into "battery saver mode". took it to Dodge dealership and they confirmed the alternator was bad and needed replacing. Not covered under certified pre-owned 7/100 extended warranty. Dealership and Chrysler/Dodge refused to do anything other than full price repair. Barely over 40,000 miles on a 2012 and the alternator is defective. It's unfortunate they don't stand behind their vehicles and warranty a known issue. Instead, they stick the customer with a $650+ repair.

- Boylston, MA, USA

Oct 062014

Charger 6-cyl

Was driving at 70mph when everything started to turn off, radio, gauges, brake system. Information center was telling car was in power save mode. I had to pull over due to nothing working. The windshield wipers came on and that was it, car had no power. All this while my wife was in labor. Thank god she didn't have the baby on the side of the road. We couldn't even get anyone to tow the car because it couldn't be put into neutral. All this due to a faulty alternator.

- Lake Jackson, TX, USA

Oct 032014

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Charger. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V197000 (service brakes, air:antilock:control unit/module). The recall repairs were performed, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 69,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 012014

Charger 6-cyl

While going around 40mph "battery saver mode" came up on the display..few seconds later the whole dashboard icon warnings lit up: ABS, traction control, brake, high beam, seat belt; you name it.! after that the speedometer display turned black following the radio display...then they started flickering! car was still running at around 40mph but after a while it started slowing down unresponsive! came to a light stop then it turned green I accelerated but the rpms wouldn't go past 1500 and not shifting to second gear! after that rmps started to decrease power gas pedals became unresponsive until car completely shut down..lucky I was able to pull over right on time to avoid cars hitting me...called tow truck, took it to the shop were they said it was the alternator.. couldn't find a new one anywhere only at a Dodge dealer in town for $600ish plus installment fee $100 total coming out to $700ish... now, two-three months later as in today Oct 5 2014 "battery saver mode" popped up again! does that mean another alternator for $700"? for a new car?" car has only 44K! recall asap! don't wanna put another 700 !! :(

- Watsonville , CA, USA

Oct 022014

Charger 6-cyl

Started my car this morning and it was making a loud noise. Drove my car out the neighbor to the stop light. While waiting for the traffic light to change green, I notice a burning spell. My radio then turned off and traction light came on and off. After a minute the battery light appeared and I received a message that the car was in battery safe mode. After researching the error message it appears to be that my alternator is either defective or going bad.

- Union City, GA, USA

Sep 292014

I pulled into an intersection and the electrical on the vehicle started flashing off and on. Dashboard, wipers, radio, transmission and engine stuttering and stalling. I made it through the intersection, and about 20 feet from it before the car shut off completely. There was minimal power, so the hazards worked, but the key fob was not detected (I just bought a new battery for it last week), the warning lights on the dashboard continued to flicker each time I tried to restart it. The middle screen came up blank or white, and it would take several seconds before the button/start indicator would move from the "run" to the "off" position. The battery was obviously dead, but when a passerby stopped to help me try to jump it, it wouldn't take a charge. The electrical capacity continued to diminish as I tried to start it, or try different things to get it to work. The great shift locked up so I couldn't put it in neutral to roll the car out of the way. Since it was 4:30 on a busy, divided highway during a torrential downpour, I was terrified someone was going to hit me from behind. Fortunately ocso arrived to help divert traffic, and he helped me figure out where the emergency disconnect was for the transmission so we could push it off the road. Aaa came but it wouldn't stay charged. I was able to drive it home with the travel Charger on it. I tried to jump it again several times, with no luck, it was completely dead. So, $800 later, I have a new battery, new alternator, and feel lucky that I didn't get stuck in the intersection, get rear-ended, or hadn't left on my trip to North Carolina yet. It was an extremely dangerous situation, that could have been a lot worse, and there was absolutely no warning or indication that the alternator had gone bad. I know I'm not the only one that has experienced this based on a google search, and appreciate that the NHTSA is investigating.

- Orlando, FL, USA