2013 Dodge Charger electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Charger:

2013 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

May 062014

Charger

On May 5th, 2014 when I entered my vehicle and started it both exterior side mirrors blind spot detection mirrors were illuminated and a message in the center instrument display screen stated; "blind spot detection system unavailable". dealership was unable to take a look at it at this time but an appointment was made for May 8th. The night of May 5th the blind spot detection system began functioning again but was not working for approximately 6 hours even with shutting off and restarting the vehicle multiple times and checking to make sure sensors were clean. Dodge dealership was unable to replicate the issue and no further action was taken. This is a safety issue to not have these systems available especially if many other people have come accustom to depending on these (even if they shouldn't be).

- New Britain, CT, USA

Aug 022014

Charger

On August 2nd, 2015 at approximately 2:30pm while backing out of my driveway onto a busy street when I placed my car in reverse I observed my backup camera not to be functioning and showing a black screen. I attempted multiple times taking the car out of gear and than placing it back in reverse again with no effect. I then shut the vehicle off and turned it back on then placing the car in reverse. A black screen still showed but the text stating "check surrounding areas" popped up on the top of the screen (still no image showing). I notified the dealer immediately and took it in for them to take a quick look before closing. Technician informed me he could not find any codes, and that all wiring and connections appeared to be fine but told me to make an appointment. I made an appointment for the following Monday. When I went to leave the dealer that Saturday I placed my car in reverse and the camera was functioning fine (haven't had an issue since). I dropped my car off Sunday night and the dealer had it Monday & Tuesday and could not replicate the issue. The item was not replaced under warranty and Dodge is basically informing me that a intermittent issue is fine.

- New Britain, CT, USA

Feb 042014

Charger 8-cyl

Wife complained of trunk opening by itself. Car has keyless passive entry system and I suspected she was accidentally hitting the trunk release button. Problem became progressively worse and on two occasions she had to stop on the side of busy highways to close the trunk putting her at a substantial risk of injury or death. A brief online search shows an historical problem involving this complaint. At first the problem was humorous but after her having to stop on the lie the humor quickly faded and concern arose. The car is at the dealer for a fix and I expressed my concern and was blown off. This may not be the typical safety problem associated with potential injurious events but an unforeseen or unexpected reaction to this situation could lead to unintended accidents.

- Selden, NY, USA

Feb 052013

Charger

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the trunk opened without manual force as the air bag light illuminated on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the trunk motor needed to be replaced and the lower seat harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the air bag light continued to illuminate. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 2,700.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Aug 252013

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle main computer executed just about every warning code after start up. This included a warning not to drive vehicle. This is the second episode of this nature with this vehicle, the first occurring on the first day of ownership. The vehicle has been in the dealership service department 13 of the first 60 days of ownership. The dealer "disconnected the negative battery terminal" and erased trouble codes on advisement from the manufacturer. The manufacturer has deemed this an adequate repair procedure and wants to release the vehicle back to us. We feel that this is not an adequate repair process and due to the nature and scope of the computer controls and subsequent error reporting by the computer, that driving this vehicle may be dangerous. When these concerns were brought forth to Chrysler llc customer service department, I asked the agent if she (and Chrysler llc) were satisfied with assuming any subsequent liabilities that may arise from operating this vehicle in its current condition, she said they do. We are now being forced to return our rental loaner car and drive this vehicle which may not in fact be safe or reliable. We strongly feel that Chrysler llc has breached its implied warranty of merchantability. This vehicle does not meet the criteria for fitness for a particular purpose. Chrysler llc has not offered a "buy back", or replacement vehicle. We have purchased roughly $80,000 worth of Chrysler vehicles in the past 12 calendar months, we will not buy another if this matter is not resolved.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA