Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

2013 Dodge Dart brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments (Page 10 of 10)

Aug 122014

Dart 4-cyl

I had started my car and it was idling in the driveway with the E-brake engaged. I went into the house to get a few things I had forgot and the car rolled out of the driveway into the road and was hit by another car driving down the street. I was sure the E-brake lever was up all the way before I got out of the car. The driveway doesn't really have any grade to it either. It is just barely slopped for drainage.

- Agawam, MA, USA

Jul 252014

TL- the contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while traveling 25 mph, the brake pedal was applied and traveled to the floorboard. The contact also mentioned that there was an abnormal noise coming from the brake and that the brakes seized. In addition, the ABS warning light illuminated and the emergency brake was activated in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake booster and the master cylinder needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the brake booster was replaced on two different occasions. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 22,038.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Jul 062014

Dart 4-cyl

My wife was driving and the brakes stopped working. She was able to stop by putting two feet on the brakes and slowing down. Luckily we were already slowing down for a stop-light so we were going slow. The brake pedal was incredibly hard and we were unable to push it down properly oit"S possible we would?ve hit a pickup truck. If we did we could?ve been decapitated. Or we might?ve hit enough to set off the airbags killing our unborn child. We could?ve been injured or injured someone else. Luckily this did not happen on the expressway. ?my wife cautiously pulled us into a gas station, sunoco, and I told her to speed up a little bit and to step on the brakes. At that point it felt as if the brakes were not working and a light flashed in the instrument cluster saying ?service brakes electrical?? or something similar. ?we called the roadside assistance number. Upsettingly enough we discovered we could only be towed about 10 miles to get home or about 15 miles to a Dodge dealership otherwise the cost would come out of my own pocket. Disturbingly the person on the other end of the line suggested that I drive five miles closer to home after knowing we needed to be towed because my brakes didn?T work. I understand she was not a mechanic but there is no reason she should?ve suggested I risk the four of our lives to drive five miles so I could get a free tow. ?what if we were out of state? would I need to pay an astronomical cost to get towed back home? what will Dodge do about this? ?roadside assistance is not roadside assistance, it?S towing assistance. We only got help getting a tow. We were completely on our own to find transportation. ?what would've happened if we were on the expressway? what would've happened had we ran into the pickup truck with it's truck bed at head level" once fixed it was determined to be a bad brake booster.

- Portage, MI, USA

Jun 082014

Dart 4-cyl

Brake system failure. Starts with a light sound much like a pressurized system releasing pressure, then progresses into sounding like an air brake system on a truck at which point the brakes fail and will not stop the vehicle. I've read dozens of reports about this online. Reported to be a faulty brake booster, possibly master cylinder. I've also reported this to Dodge at the early stages when it was just a light sound, and was told it was normal. But from similar reports, this is not normal.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Nov 202012

A few short weeks after purchasing the 2013 Dodge Dart rallye 1.4L turbo; the bluetooth failed to stay connected. Took it to get serviced at least three times due to this issue. In addition, just recently (2014) the emergency brake has failed to work when parked on an incline; not all of the time but sometimes. Also recently noticed, the cruise control button on the steering wheel fails to work all of the time. Not until you stop and restart the vehicle does the cruise control "decide" to work once again. Even so, in the first few months of obtaining the vehicle I noticed chip marks on the front bumper. As 2014 has approached, there are about a couple hundred chip marks on the front bumper but the car has not been driven in areas to cause this much damage. The Dodge Dart rallye's were supposed to contain chip guard which does not make sense as to why the front bumper paint has chipped off so badly!!!

- Williamsport, PA, USA

Sep 172013

I have had quite an experience with my Dodge Dart. It is in the shop this week. I had complained first about the hesitating when I first started the car and it was cold outside. The engine seems to give out and a tiny back fire. I have the computer navigation on the dash and it began to flicker and my mileage started to flash. My check engine light would come on for no reason and the navigation began to fail. I had parked my Dart in the driveway and it had rolled out into the street and a county worker knocked on the door to tell me I was blocking access to the drivers. I went to move my car and the clutch was stuck to the floor of my car. I could not get it in or out of gear. So far Chrysler has replaced the electrical/computer part, the part for the clutch. I just found out about the recall for the brake and transmission. Last my door is darker then the rest of the car and they are having it painted.

- Red Lion, PA, USA

May 232014

Dart 4-cyl

When applying brakes. The entire vehicle dealership said rotors were rusted and pitted on all four wheels and wanted 320 dollars to turn the rotors. I refused this option. I was told that this happened because the car sat still too long. This is not true because this car is used daily. It is obvious there are no brakes on the back wheels by observing the rotors with the naked eye. Any rotor with working brakes will not have rust accumulate on it. Someone needs to check this out to see if this is a problem with all Dodge Darts or just my car.. I will await your reply. Thank you for your attention to this saftey issue.

- Hobe Sound, FL, USA

May 282014

Dart 4-cyl

While depressing the brakes, they travel to the floor without brakes activating or the ABS system. It takes pumping the brakes a second time before the brakes finally activate to slow the vehicle. I have had my car into the Dodge dealership because of the issue within the last 2 month and they could not find any problems. Within the last month the problem is progressively getting worse.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Jan 152014

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle did not come to a complete stop when the brakes were depressed. The contact had to shift into a lower gear, applied the brakes and then the emergency brake. The contact constantly heard a screeching noise upon applying the accelerator pedal to increase the rpms on a frequent basis while driving the vehicle at any speed. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer where the contact was awaiting diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 2000.

- Maxwell, TX, USA

Dec 302013

Dart 4-cyl

While braking, this winter, my ABS would activate causing my dashboard and radio to go blank. It was only until recently that I learned that while the screens are blank and rebooting my cars power steering system is also inactive. After 4 attempts at fixing this issue all the dealership is telling me it that it is a grounding issue.

- Carman, IL, USA

Mar 132014

Dart 4-cyl

Went to back out of the driveway and the brake pedal would not depress to engage the brakes. Had to shift to neutral and use the emergency brake to stop the car. Had to have the car towed to the dealer.

- Girard, IL, USA

Feb 222014

I was sitting at a red light and heard a pop. All of the sudden the car started rolling forward while the light was still red! fortunately no one was coming and I was able to accelerate through the light without getting hit. When I tried to apply the brakes there was an intense amount of pressure from the pedal with the sound of air blowing out from the pedal. I parked the car thinking it just needed a reset, but that didn't work. On Monday morning I was able to take it to a local Dodge dealership and they diagnosed the issue as a bad brake booster. Fortunately the car is under warranty but the part is on back order. Dodge needs to address this issue because it sounds like a lot of 2013 Darts have had this issue.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Apr 222013

Dart 4-cyl

Parking brake would not engage 3 different times, dealer suggested it was a part failure. Another time clutch would not come up and stayed to the floor, clutch fluid leaked.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Dec 122013

I just recently purchased a 2013 Dodge Dart SXT rally with 2.0 engine. I put about 3500 miles on the vehicle and began to notice a whoosh of air noise when depressing my brake pedal. A couple days went by and the whooshing noise began to get worse I also began to experience a loss of brakes when backing out of my driveway and while driving on the road I noticed the brakes began to fade quickly resulting in the pedal becoming super stiff and having no brake pressure on the pads to the rotors. A couple more days went by and I completely lost brakes in the car while driving resulting in me having to use the parking brake to stop the car. I took my car to the Dodge dealer and explained what had happened, a service tech test drove the car and almost crashed it. He explained the car has no brakes and he'd have to troubleshoot the problem. They came back and said to me that they would have to replace the power booster and possibly the master cylinder. I do not feel safe driving this car now. I have read multiple reports of catastrophic brake failure and parking brake failure on the same model year Dodge Darts. I feel there needs to be a recall on this brake situation. What is Dodge going to do, to ensure that these power boosters/master cylinders do not continue to fail?

- Grants Pass, OR, USA

Aug 022013

Dart 4-cyl

1. clutch started to lose resistance couple times a month in two last months. Now almost every day after long time not using it. It freely going down, sometimes stuck in the half way out and have to be pulled up. 2. brakes started lose resistance recently also after long time not to be used (1 or more hours) specially in the morning. It freely going down half way producing air blow sound. After a few times pushing pedal down air blow stops and resistance gets ok. Behind of brake pedal it feels some king of liquid. 3. acceleration at high speed takes longer time then it was before and requires to switch to lower gear. (turbo problem?) 4. mpg decreased. On the same way to and back to work usually it was 32-33 mpg. Now it gets 28-29 today brought car to dealer. After a whole day of inspection nothing wrong was found.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Aug 032013

Dart 4-cyl

When I was coming off of a highway I tried to brake and my brake sounded like it accumulated air and then I heard a pop. The brake went stiff and I could not use the brake. My car kept on going with 50mph and I could not use my brake, luckily enough I used my hand brake to stop myself and avoid a crush into a busy street. My vehicle is 8 months old, and has 3500 miles on it. The overall maintenance was done on it a month ago and everything was checked and worked correctly.

- Edmonton, 00, USA

Aug 012013

Dart 4-cyl

This is the second time the brakes went out on my car...the first time was during rush hour traffic at 3500 miles thank god, I was able to pull into a parking lot before I had an accident. Today at 5700 miles it happens again. They replaced both power brake booster and master cylinder the first time it happened and now it happened again!!! im am so angry!!!

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jul 022013

Dart 4-cyl

While driving approximately 70 miles per hour down the highway my Dart suddenly lost all power. The steering wheel acted as if there was no key in it and locked up. The breaks slowly applied themselves, and the vehicle would not shift into neutral so that I could move over to the side of the road. I have worked with the company and the dealership and it will not duplicate for any reason. However, I have been having issues with power of the vehicle every month since January. Wither it be not starting or failing to key less start. This is the first time for complete power failure. Chrysler refuses to do anything about it and wants me to drive it around with a black box in it.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 312012

Dart 4-cyl

This is a serious issue & could have caused a fatality. Who ever owns this vehicle be careful. On 10/31/12 about 11:30am my grandmother & I were heading out to lunch. My grandma wanted to ride in the Dart that I had bought on 10/26/12. I only put about 10 miles on the Dart & it is a manual 6 speed. I let my grandma into the passenger front seat, I started the car, put it into neutral, the emergency brake was already engaged, but I double checked it & re-pulled up on the emergency brake, I then pulled up one more time to make sure it was fully engaged because my driveway is slanted. I then turned on the A/C since it was about 80 degrees out. I left the driver's side door open. I told my grandma that I was going to move her car since it was blocking the driveway & parked in the street & then we can go to lunch. I walked down my driveway & made it to her driver side door when I heard my 76 year old grandmother screaming I looked up & saw my Dodge Dart rolling down my driveway as if no E-brake was on at all. The drivers side door on the Dart smashed into my grandma's car the door on the Dart then smashed into the front fender of the Dart the inside of the door rubbed & damaged the rear fender of my grandmothers car. The Dart then came to a stop about a 1/3 way into the street about 50ft from where I had the Dart parked. I jumped into the Dart & checked on my grandmother she had no serious injuries. I look down at the emergency brake & the emergency brake is fully engaged & in the same position that I left it in. This car didn't immediately roll down the driveway it took about 30-45 seconds before it started rolling. It acted like the emergency brake was engaged then just disengaged & rolled at a high speed. I have reported this to my insurance company & to Dodge. Dodge is saying there is nothing wrong with the car, but they are unwilling to give me a copy of the report.

- Victorville, CA, USA