CarComplaints.com Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

2013 Dodge Dart drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Nov 212016

Dart

Yesterday we were parking our vehicle in a parking lot when the shifter got stuck in neutral. We were unable to shift the car into park and were unable to turn the car off and remove the key because it was stuck in neutral. We ended up having to have the car towed to the dealership. Today the dealership told us that the cable connecting the shifter to the transmission had come loose and that from a manufacturing standpoint the cable was "too short" and likely to come loose again. They reattached the cable but recommended that the cable to replaced with a longer cable that would be less likely to come loose. The cost to replace the cable and have it reinstalled was going to be just under $800. They recommended that we contact Dodge because the car is under 4 years old and only has 26,000 miles on it and the issue is not a wear and tear issue but a manufacturing issue. Dodge denied our request to extend the warranty and to pay to have the cable replaced. We expressed our concern that it was a safety issue (because it could've happened while driving) and they said to contact dot and to recommend that there should be a recall on the part. So that is what we are doing. Thank you for your assistance.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Nov 022016

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving 60 mph on the highway, the check engine and service transmission warning indicators illuminated. The contact proceeded to exit the highway. Once the vehicle came to a complete stop, the contact attempted to accelerate; however, the transmission shifted into neutral and remained in low gear. The vehicle was serviced per NHTSA campaign number: 15V542000 (power train), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The contact mentioned that this was the third time for the exact same failure. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was approximately 42,000.

- Stewartstown, PA, USA

Oct 272016

Dart

The gear shifter moves but the transmission never leaves park

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Jul 042016

Dart

When shifting from reverse to drive the shifter whet limp and the car was stuck in reverse. I was unable to shift to another gear or remove the keys. The car was stuck in the middle of the street and had to be towed for repair. At the dealership I was told the shift control cable had broken and it would have to be replaced. I was told it was not covered under warranty as the car was older than 36 months. I paid to have the shift control cable replaced. Failure mileage was around 24,000.

- Key West, FL, USA

Oct 102016

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. When parking the vehicle, the shift selector seemed to be disconnected or not engaged and would not shift into park. As a result, the keys could not be removed from the ignition. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 272016

Dart

Clutch, flywheel inoperative while driving

- El Centro, CA, USA

Sep 292016

Dart

I own a 2013 Dodge Dart 1.4L turbo 6 speed manual. Everytime I try to shift into reverse from a stop the shifter only goes half-way in. I can get it in gear after depressing the clutch several times. The powertrain contol module was replaced in 2014, and when I spoke to the dealership they stated that the only way to repair the problem was to rebuild the transmission. My car only has 52K miles on it.

- Graham, TX, USA

Jun 072016

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving approximately 65 mph, the gear shifter slipped into neutral and the "service transmission gear is not available" warning message appeared. The vehicle was pulled over to the side of the road, restarted, and driven to the dealer. The transmission control module was replaced; however, the failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 101.

- Norcross, GA, USA

May 242016

Dart

This car is 3 years old and we have had to replace the body control module (BCM), and transmission control module (tcm). The check engine light is still on and Dodge is still trying to find out what is wrong with it. Before replacing the body control module the car wasn't starting so the battery was replaced, it turns out the BCM was staying on and drawing power form the battery while the car was off. We were constantly having to jump the car to get it started. After that the transmission started acting funny it would shift hard, shift into low gears while driving on the freeway. Also when first started or stopped at a traffic intersections the vehicle would shift into 4th gear on its own unless in sport mode and done manually. This makes it accelerate very slowly which is dangerous especially when pulling out into an intersection. After replacing the tcm the issue with the transmission is still occurring, it is currently being looked and the cause is still unknown.

- Sumter, SC, USA

Aug 262015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 ddodge Dart. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V542000 (power train); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Williamsville, NY, USA

Nov 022015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the gear shifted out of drive into neutral while the vehicle was in motion. The failure occurred more than once. In addition, the cruise control failed to properly function and various warning indicators and gauges, including the service transmission warning indicator, randomly flashed on the instrument panel. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V542000 (power train) several months ago. The dealer was notified numerous times, but was unable to determine when the manufacturer would supply the part. The manufacturer was unable to provide a reasonable time frame to supply the parts to the dealer. The vehicle failed to start and was unable to be driven. The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

Aug 012016

Dart

I started having issues with my Dart 2 years after I bought it, tcm lost communication while traveling 70+ mph down highway had to tow car. Had tcm flashed(repair 1), drove 2-3K mile more, happened again, brought it to a different dealership said they replaced tcm (repair 2, before tcm recall was issued.) about 10K miles later had to bring it back, had tcm flashed again (repair 3), about 10K miles later tcm has problem again while traveling 40+ miles down a very busy city street and need to tow vehicle, this new dealership replaced tcm again (repair 4 after tcm recall is issued, 4K miles later car is now throwing check engine lights for BCM, and PCM which I am told is connected to the tcm. I am in the process of filing a lemon law claim against Chrysler, a three year old car that I paid almost $30,000 should not cause so much stress. I cannot allow my family to be in danger, I have been lucky that neither issue resulted in a car accident. Chrysler needs to buy my vehicle back. I do not wish to talk to them about servicing the vehicle again, or trading them for a newer vehicle as they have lost my trust as a company.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Sep 012016

Dart 4-cyl

2013 Dodge Dart. Consumer writes in regards to replacement parts not available to repair transmission control module recall notice.

- Gallatin, TN, USA

Sep 042016

Dart

Care dropped into neutral while driving and shut itself off. This car has had transmission control replace 2X and entire transmission replaced 1X. Continually having an issue. Tried to have Chrysler buy it back but they refuse.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Sep 022016

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While attempting to place the vehicle in drive, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the shift lever independently shifted to the neutral position. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V542000 (power train). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Mar 022015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While the vehicle was stationary, the air bag indicator illuminated. In addition, the air conditioner compressor switch fractured on the vehicle. It was diagnosed that the transmission control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 092016

Dart

Takata recall - on 8/9/2016 I purchased this vehicle from a used car dealership. The gear shift/clutch skips, sticks, and jumps, whenever I move it from park to reverse or drive. This happens consistently. Also, the car was sold to me with a dry cable brake wire, which caused the vehicle to make a very loud noise. I reported these issues to the dealer that I purchased this vehicle from, they lubricated the brake cable wire, however, they said that this is normal for dual clutches to do this - skip, jump, and stick. Also, the vehicle hesitates to accelerate, and the dealer that I purchased the vehicle come said this is normal. This car had low mileage on it at the time of purchase (38,013), I have filed a claim against Dodge, because I think this is a major safety issue. Also, I discovered that the previous owner of this vehicle had experienced numerous problems since the time that he purchased this vehicle, which the vehicle had 0 miles on it at that time, and even he filed a claim against Dodge for the very same problems, plus for other component failures since the day that he purchased it.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Aug 012016

Dart

**takata recall* had the clutch replaced months after I purchased auto within warranty. Clutch slipped couple of times last month and now it stuck to floor and there was a leak in the area of transmission and clutch. My brother in law and son work on cars and advised my to let dealer know. I did schedule an appt with dealer prior to car finally did not move. When I did tow it to dealer they advised it was due to my over riding of clutch. I have had standard clutch autos all my life and I know how to drive them. I called Chrysler customer service, they called dealer and was advised now my miles is over the warranty which expires 11/8/2018 for X62 hydraulic clutch. So, my issue is, I did not over ride my clutch and what does warranty have to do with my clutch issued for the 2nd time this happening. I have had my Dodge Dart for almost 3 years come this November. My auto is still with bud clary dogde in aurburn, wa and they advised I need to pay the diagnostics test of $136.88. For safety, I would like to them replace clutch or buy the car back to I could purchase a car that is safe. I do not want to pay for a car that unsafe for myself, passengers and those around me. Car stopped at traffic light and we pushed to nearby gas station. * case is under investigation with chyrsler and still awaiting results....**case# 2990499**..help!!!!

- Covington, WA, USA

Aug 232016

Dart

My transmission light has came on intermittently and I have only had the car for two months. Milage is at 24,000 and already tranmission issues. I took car to dealership at that time the light was off they told me not to worry and that it will take 6 weeks for them to look at the issue. I am very concerned for my safety. Also I turned my car off and it would not turn on I waited 7 minutes and it turned on but the transmission light was on.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Feb 032016

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the vehicle independently shifted into neutral wihout warning. The contact stated that the failure occurred three times. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V542000 (power train); however, the parts to do the repair were unavailable. The manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 51,644. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Lakeside, CA, USA