CarComplaints.com Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

2013 Dodge Dart electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

May 242016

Dart

This car is 3 years old and we have had to replace the body control module (BCM), and transmission control module (tcm). The check engine light is still on and Dodge is still trying to find out what is wrong with it. Before replacing the body control module the car wasn't starting so the battery was replaced, it turns out the BCM was staying on and drawing power form the battery while the car was off. We were constantly having to jump the car to get it started. After that the transmission started acting funny it would shift hard, shift into low gears while driving on the freeway. Also when first started or stopped at a traffic intersections the vehicle would shift into 4th gear on its own unless in sport mode and done manually. This makes it accelerate very slowly which is dangerous especially when pulling out into an intersection. After replacing the tcm the issue with the transmission is still occurring, it is currently being looked and the cause is still unknown.

- Sumter, SC, USA

Nov 022015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the gear shifted out of drive into neutral while the vehicle was in motion. The failure occurred more than once. In addition, the cruise control failed to properly function and various warning indicators and gauges, including the service transmission warning indicator, randomly flashed on the instrument panel. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V542000 (power train) several months ago. The dealer was notified numerous times, but was unable to determine when the manufacturer would supply the part. The manufacturer was unable to provide a reasonable time frame to supply the parts to the dealer. The vehicle failed to start and was unable to be driven. The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

Sep 182016

Dart

Bluetooth don't work. $600 to fix at 45,000 miles. Now my prdn lights up all red. Will clear only when I turn car off and back on. Took car to auto zone and its not giving any codes

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 052016

Dart

I had my car for 5 months before having electrical issues. Every light in the dash came on my car started to slow down on it's own until it came to a complete stop. Every gear on the shifter turned red after putting the car in park leaving me with nothing else to do but turn the car off. After turning it off I tried to turn the key over to restart but the car wouldn't come on at all. After that I had my car tired to one Dodge dealership, which it stayed for 2 weeks until they decided they didn't know what to do so they had me you're it to another Dodge dealership where it stayed 2 months. After replacing the harness twice, the ABS module twice and the shifter cable they told me it was ready. I picked up my car Thursday and guess what two days later (today to be exact) it has done it again. I'm not only afraid to drive this car, I am down to no vehicle again.fyi this is about $4000 later.

- Silver Springs, NV, USA

Sep 152016

Dart

Took in 4 recall brake booster ended up with having to replace entire clutch assemby to the tune of $2300. Had the car for less than 48 hours and it completely shut down could not crank or put hazzard lights on and was in rush hour traffic had to have it towed back to dealership.

- Grand Bay, AL, USA

Aug 222016

Dart

I have replaced the hi/lo beam headlamps multiple times, when I went to change it this time, the receiver plug housing on the wire harness is melted to the point that it will need to be replaced, unable to attach the new bulb and the old bulb was nearly fused due to the heat when it melted, luckily it did not catch on fire

- Othello, WA, USA

Mar 022015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While the vehicle was stationary, the air bag indicator illuminated. In addition, the air conditioner compressor switch fractured on the vehicle. It was diagnosed that the transmission control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 012016

Dart

At times the car will not start back up until you wait about 10 minutes and everything has to be off for it to do so. Newest problem is it suddenly slams on brakes while already stopped, the control panel's lights come on, it won't go into second gear sometimes problems with third gear. In order to fix this you have to keep turning the car off and waiting about 7 minutes for the computer to reset itself then it's good until maybe next day.

- Newark, DE, USA

Jun 162016

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that it took numerous attempts to start the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 28,000.

- Ludowici, GA, USA

Jul 212016

Dart

My key fob gets stuck inside the ignition. I have reported the issue to Dodge in July. They claimed nothing was wrong. When I told them I had to keep turning my wheel to get my key to release and my dad came up there and let them know he saw it with his own eyes and wasn't going to accept that, they reexamined the car and said they found a bur in the ignition blocking the key from releasing the key. They kept my car 5 days to order a new ignition cylinder, so they claim would resolve the issue. Less than a month, I am having the same problem. I phoned the service manager, he told me to put shift the car gears and it should release the key. It did on 8/13/16. He said it sounds like the electrical isn't recognizing the car is in park. But I thought the new ignition cylinder took care of the problem back in July I told him. He said it could be a stenoid problem but won't know until I bring the car back. I don't have money to keep spending on car rental insurance and time to keep being inconvenienced because Dodge failed to inspect the electrical part of their car.

- El Cerrito, CA, USA

Aug 012016

Dart

The airbag light comes on anytime the outdoor temperature is above around 85 degrees. The Dodge dealership says nothing is wrong, but the light still comes on. My car was in the shop multiple times for issues with the electrical system. The battery has been replaced 2-3 times since 2013. Interior lights sometimes flicker. The navigation system resets itself randomly and now it can't "find" the maps. They are just gone somehow. The sd card slot works sometimes and not others, same with the backup camera. Dodge has been completely unable to fix these.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Feb 202014

Dart

I have had my 2013 Dodge Dart only 2 years and am so frustrated with the purchase. It has been in the shop several times with multiple issues. Just yesterday I had to put it in the the shop to have the navigation system fixed. The dealership stated there was not a problem that I needed to subscribe to the navigation service. Are they kidding me, I called Chrysler and they said it was a faulty unit, due to the fact it goes completely out with a white screen and it just does not work. The check engine light comes on constantly, the engine is running rough. I have already had to replace the battery at my cost of $150 not happy about that one. The speedometer is incorrect, the interior light rattles and drives me crazy on long trips. I have had to taken it in for several front end alignments at my cost. It just will not stay aligned, its so frustrating and costly. But the real scary item is when it felt like I was in neutral while driving and had low to no engine power while driving, I slowly pulled over to the side of the ride and turned the key off and the engine was still going, I took the key out of the ignition and it was still cranked. I am praying that they get these cars off the road and put them in a buy back program because they are a danger to the public. I am so upset and disappointed with my Dodge that I will not purchase another.

- Sour Lake, TX, USA

Aug 012015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the vehicle's manual climate control, fan speed, and temperature fluctuated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was returned to the dealer where it was diagnosed that essential sensors were misfiring. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was approximately 19,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 152016

Dart

My radio with the touchscreen has been replaced 4 times I believe due to an electrical issue-continued to flicker on and off. The visor fell off, now there are no interior lights. Brake recall repair done, but now engine light on, steering wheel locked up while in reverse, all system lights came on looking like failure. Car was accelerating on its own, but when putting foot on gas it would have no effect. Now the car does not start or even turn over including when jump started. I have documentation of the radio repair and brake recall and have videos on my phone of the acceleration with foot on the brake.

- West Olive, MI, USA

Jun 262016

Dart

The car won't start. Battery is completly dead. Won't even charge. (that's not the big deal) the big deal is when I try to reverse it's like it doesn't want to get in gear. Then whole car shakes, and then it feels like the transmission stops and is about to drop. Gear shift lights all turn red. Have to start car and turn back on to get it to go to normal. Engine light comes on too. Then eventually turns off.

- Herrin, IL, USA

Jun 282016

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving at a low speed, the vehicle failed to switch from the neutral position. In addition, the ignition key became lodged in the vehicle and could not be removed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- Sumerduck, VA, USA

Apr 052016

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving 55 mph, the gear shifter failed to shift into gear without warning. In addition, the vehicle failed to start. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure was unable to be determined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 64,606.

- 131 Wisteria Ct, TX, USA

Aug 162015

Dart

1.4 L engine 6 speed manual transmission-has had multiple problem and repairs with weeks at the dealership at a time. Traction control light multiple times without resolution. Cruise control works intermittently. Wipers cone in sometimes when blinder is turned on. Car failed to start, would stay on after key was removed from the engine-replaced ignition control module. Replaced battery, car back fires, warrantied out 1st coil and spark plug, error code for 3rd cylinder after, dealership stated it was really defective 1st coil and warrantied out again, car still back fires. Car wouldn't go in to reverse, differentiation cable had snapped, dealership replaced cable and gear shifter assembly. Car wouldn't shift in to 3rd from 2nd gear, dealership replaced throw out bearing, pressure plate and mayer cylinder on "extended warranty" /recall after another 20 days drive 14 miles for wheel bearing failure/ABS sensor on front drivers side. Dealership replaced both front bearings and ABS sensors, technician didn't finish test drive and one of new bearings failed, had to replace again, within 24 hours clutch wouldn't depress, then went to the floor, lifted with my foot still couldn't get car in to gear. Turned car off, removed key, started asian and was able to get in to gear. Car is making clicking sound when clutch is depressed and some times after release there is scraping sound. You tube video of another person's car maxing same sound youtu.be/jjyrrr8xrsy states flywheel had to be replaced. There's probably more that I'm forgetting to note but it is clear from this vehicles poor performance more will ensue, how can I get out of this undependence service ridden vehicle" after how many failures will some one make Dodge step up"

- Wixom, MI, USA

Jun 032016

Dart

I have just had the tcm replaced for the second time. This time the braket was replace but nothing has changed. I still experience transmission problems. My car will still have problem shifting and will not start.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

May 172016

Dart

I have taken my Dart to horne motors in globe, AZ. For recall notice on transmission control module mounting bracket, three (3) times, the last time I was told to trade it in. Im still experiencing the "shift into neutral" while gear selector is in drive. The first time was inspection, second was parts replace, and third nothing.

- Miami, AZ, USA