Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

2013 Dodge Dart electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Nov 292013

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a complete loss of power intermittently and excessive oil consumption. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle had to be towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that it needed a new battery. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The contact stated that oil was added in the vehicle every week or every two weeks; however, the failure occurred twelve times. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 12,000.

- Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

May 072016

Gauges will freeze while driving, but reset after 20 minutes. Has happened on 4 separate occurences. While driving down an expressway at 50mph in the city, the car lost boost(pressure from the turbo) causing it to lose power dramatically reducing safety and fuel economy. The car lost the ability to mert speed limit and slowing down traffic behind and the ability to get up a hill in my area. Research has shown countless other people being affected by the P0299 low pressure code.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Apr 202016

My car is messing up the gears the lights turn red the car would not start left me stranded also when I put my car in drive the cart shifts hard back and forth I took it to aamco they said it the motor mount the rear one I do buy the part had it replaced and now the car is leaving me stranded it was parked

- San Antonmio, TX, USA

Apr 192016

"service transmission" error comes on the dash and stops running properly. If turned off after error, the car will not turn back on and gives an "auto stick unavailable" error and requests service. I've had it towed to the dealership and they are unable to find any issues.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Mar 082016

The car has been having several electrical problems. Fuel gauge will not register a full tank of gas after been filled right away. Volume controls will increase and decrease on their own sporadically. Buttons on the steering wheel stop functioning off and on. Also, lately we have been having issue with car shaking and stuttering while driving. Have taken it to dealership 2 times in the last week. Will be visiting again this week.

- Grain Valley, MO, USA

Mar 042016

My multifunctioning system that allows me to use my window wipers as well as allowing me to make right or left turns decided to fall apart and now I cant even turn off the motor for my window wipers which is becoming a hazard because of my windows becomming damaged in the process.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Oct 122015

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the maintenance warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. In addition, the speedomer failed to display intermittently. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V542000 (power train); however, the parts to do the repair were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 53,554. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Oroville, CA, USA

Feb 262016

The instrument cluster failed and required a 1200 dollar repair. Backup camera doesn't work for unknown reason. Gps radio has failed and requires 1800 repair. Problems started at random. Vehicle was purchased new in 2/14

- Canton, GA, USA

Feb 072016

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While accelerating from a stop sign at 10 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The dashboard, radio, and other electrical functions failed. The contact attempted to steer the vehicle, but crashed into a parked vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to a tow yard and later to a body shop for repair. The vehicle was not destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 24,723.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

Feb 132016

I have had multiple issues with my car since I got it. I have been through three radios, an entirely new turbo was installed one year after purchasing the car. Then things were going well until recently. I have had the car in the shop about 3 weeks in a row. First it was one of my coils that had become inactive. So while driving it the car shakes and stutters. While driving on the highway I try to hit the gas and the car starts slowing down and shaking. So I had taken it to another shop to look at it because for a new car it is not in my finances to be putting $400 into my car every week. Had to get the part ordered so I am currently driving my car around with one coil inactive. Then in the midst of all this happening, one week after the coil had officially went inactive, it was back in the shop because my emergency brake all of a sudden became really loose and when I wasn't moving the car would roll. Which means the emergency brake wasn't doing its job. So that night I took it over to the dealership to have them look at it yet again. They called me the next day and said that my left rear caliber had seized which is described to me that it wasn't grabbing and releasing the wheel like it should have which also caused my brakes and rotors to wear so much that they had to be replaced. Which this was something I could not just let go, or even drive the car with, I had to pay the dealership over $400 to just fix my car so that I could drive it. I cannot believe all the trouble that I am going through for a car that is not even 5 years old.

- Tatamy, PW, USA

Feb 032016

On 3 separate occasions, my 2013 Dodge Dart GT with a 2.4 tiger shark engine with multiair has shut down while the car was moving on the road. The reason for this the dealership told me was due to low oil, which we recently realized uses at least 1/2 quart per 1,000 miles. The dealer says this is within normal limits. They said that before 50,000 miles it is within normal limits to burn 1 quart for every 1000 miles and after 50,000 miles it is normal to burn 1 quart for every 750 miles. This was never divulged to me when I purchased the vehicle. It first did this starting at 35,000 miles. The vehicle now has 42,000 miles. There has never been any oil light or any other engine light that goes on before the vehicle dies. It has left me stranded in the middle of the road in some very dangerous situations. I no longer feel safe driving this car and who would want to buy it from me? two dealerships have told me that it is normal for the engine on this car to burn lots of oil, to die while the car is moving if the oil is low, and for the oil light not to go on because the car will stop running before the sensor is activated. They tell me they have seen this before. The major problem is the oil sensor never activates to tell me the oil is low. They tell me to check the oil level every time I put gas in the car. I find that to be an unacceptable solution. The oil has always been changed at normal intervals.

- Harrison Township, MI, USA

Feb 272015

The bluetooth/ hands free system stopped working shortly after getting car. They want over $600 to replace a bad module! this shouldn't happen. Radio and gps wacky too. This needs a recall.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jan 042016

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. On one occasion, the contact struck a pole, drove into a ditch, and landed on top of an electrical box. Major damage was sustained to the front end of the vehicle; however, the air bags failed to deploy. The police arrived at the scene, but a report was not filed. The contact sustained injuries to the right of the head and the right elbow, but did not require medical attention. The vehicle was able to be driven from the scene. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V800000 (service brakes, hydraulic) after the failure occurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- St. Helena Island, SC, USA

Jan 292016

When pumping gas into my car the gas gauge does not always register that I have filled my tank, also when driving on a city street at a lover rate of speed the transmission jerks or acts like its slipping and I have taken my car to a Dodge dealer and I cant check the fluid on my transmission because it is a completely sealed transmission and there is no way to check the fluid or even change the fluid, I had also contacted a Dodge dealer about a recall notice I have received on my car and they said the parts aren't available yet.

- Ravenna, OH, USA

Jan 292016

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. When the contact started the vehicle, the gauges made a ticking sound and the instrument panel lights flickered. The contact was trapped in the vehicle and her husband had to use a metal key to unlock the door from the exterior of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure could not be duplicated. The electrical failure continued to occur intermittently. The contact made an appointment to have the vehicle diagnosed. The vehicle had to be towed to the dealer. The contact stated that the engine needed to be rebuilt because the gauge that regulates the temperature was not in the engine. The manufacturer replaced the engine. The contact stated that the vehicle shook and pulled to the left while traveling 55 mph. While traveling 25 mph through an intersection, the contact attempted to stop the vehicle, but the brakes failed. As a result, the vehicle struck a curb, which created a gash in the tire and the rim. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Aztec, NM, USA

Nov 142015

When tire pressure is low, driver information center instructs user to "inflate tires to 0 (zero) psi" this occurs any time one or more tire loses enough pressure to trigger the tire pressure monitor.

- Booneville, MS, USA

Jan 182016

When starting to slide on ice a notification flashes where your mileage should show but it disappears so quick due to the fact that the engine shuts down for a few seconds along with all electrical inside and outside of the vehicle ( no speedometer no stereo no touch screen no lights in or out) however while sliding if you let your foot off the break the engine and all the lights seem to reboot and the car gains power again. Not safe and scary as hell when driving in a upstate NY snow storm

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Jul 292013

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the dome light detached from the vehicle sealing. In addition, while in reverse the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact also stated that the gear shifter failed and all the lights on the gear panel illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where a new gear shifter and sensor were replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000. Updated 03/16/16

- Forest Hill, TX, USA

Aug 012014

I have had my Dart for almost 2 1/2 years and it has been a problem from the start. I have had my tcm replaced, transmission, 2 clutches, numerous codes and speakers, gas cap, and multiple recalls. It has been in the shop over a dozen times and for over 30 days. I have had problems the entire time I have owned the car and am currently in my second time of dealing with Chrysler to buy back my vehicle and they still are not doing a thing about it. With the vehicle not shifting right and losing power and now my defroster is going out also the recalls on it but they have no fix for I refuse to let my newborn son be in my vehicle and Chrysler definitely knows about it yet wont do anything about it even tho it is a lemon.

- Clive, IA, USA

Nov 192015

The car won't start, service transmission indicator light, check engine light comes on, car makes loud noise from the engine. The car moves real slow and it doesn't shift gears and the prdn are all lit in red.

- Miami, FL, USA