CarComplaints.com Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

2013 Dodge Dart engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Dec 082013

Engine stalled.

- Monroe, GA, USA

Feb 252013

Dart 4-cyl

I purchased this vehicle on 01/22/2013. The first of many incidents happened while driving down a major highway. I was in the fast lane changing lanes and I suddenly had full power loss. I was unable to steer the vehicle and was almost hit by several faster moving cars. The car was also quickly slowing down. I was able to get the vehicle started again and pulled off the highway. As I went to turn into a parking lot this vehicle had power loss again. Between 02/25/2012 and 11/07/2014 and 26,000 miles this vehicle has been in the shop over 10 times. It has multiple power loss issues, and gauge issues. Headlights and turn signals have gone out, and random windows roll down when pushing the buttons. This vehicle is a safety hazard and should be recalled in its entirety. Repair shops tell consecutively that they cannot repair all the issues. It has been in the shop since for 5 days this time and they cannot get the vehicle to start. Shop failed to put power loss issues on first issue on ticket, until it happened a second time on 07/02/2013 while I was in a school zone.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 202014

Dart

On the interstate driving 80mph, went to accelerate and the car just revved up to 7500rpm, like it was in neutral. Checked the gear shift and tried again with only getting the car to rev. Pulled over to the side of the road and turned the car off for about 10 minutes, turned it back on it acted like the transmission wasn't catching. Not once did it show any check engine light or any other warnings. Had it towed to the dealership where it took them 2 days to replicate the problem and then it finally turned on the check engine light. It has been being repaired for over a week now because no one seems to know what exactly is wrong with it even though it had a check engine light for the transmission control module.

- Charleston Afb, SC, USA

Oct 162014

Dart

Vehicle was driven then when coming to an intersection the vehicle downshifted hard. Upon going through the intersection the vehicle stalled and then became inoperable. Vehicle would not start or even crank. Vehicle has been in the dealer for many electrical and transmission issues and we got really lucky there was no accident in the intersection.

- Castroville, CA, USA

Feb 182014

Dart

The issue I am continuing to have is during acceleration, usually onto the interstate, I will lose about 2/3 of my engine power during acceleration. If the cruise control is on, not activated, it will turn itself off and not turn back on. The power loss is significant. The only option to avoid an accident, or making other drivers angry because I have suddenly slowed on an on ramp, is to pull to the shoulder and turn off the vehicle. This is the only way to reset this issue. It has happened 6 times since the first occurrence in February. After the 5th time the engine light stayed on and I took it to the dealer. To my understanding they just reset the light. It has happened again once since. I am also now dealing with turbo surging during acceleration and over revving at stop lights and while shifting. The RPM's are not dropping as I shift until I let out the clutch. I have had the vehicle to the dealer 3 times, twice over night. They cannot duplicate the problem and have sent me on my way. I called Dodge and they opened a case Oct 10, again cannot duplicate, case closed. I am concerned that this issue will cause me to be rear ended either on the entrance ramp or on the shoulder while turning my car off and back on. Symptoms are also similar to another complaint NHTSA id 10616062.

- Hershey, NE, USA

Sep 242014

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving approximately 5 mph, the front end of the vehicle began to smoke. The contact shifted the gear into neutral and the vehicle began to shake violently. The check engine indicator illuminated. The failure occurred twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the technician was unable to locate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 60,950.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Jul 082014

Dart 4-cyl

Car stalls in warm weather and has trouble restarting. No explanation. Took it in twice now. First time they could not figure it out and now they are saying they will look into it. It stalled 4 times yesterday while I was driving it in 70 degree weather. It stalled at light and during a slow turn.

- Washougal, WA, USA

Aug 042014

Dart

2013 Dodge Dart. Engine stalls when going slow or stopped at a light. Sometimes it takes a while to start back up. The car is new and I had its oil changed at 5000 miles at the dealership. I took it in the first time it happened and they could not find a issue. I took it in today and they don't seem to be aware of this issue. Engine light came on.

- Washougal, WA, USA

May 232014

Dart

Issues with transmission, gears and power. After parking my car and attempting to restart the car would not turn on, multiple lights came on the dash board, and message read that my car did not recognize the gear. Was not able to start car. It was towed to the dealership. On another occasion, I was driving about 30 mph and my car stop working, lost all power and it took about 5 minutes before I was able to use the gears. On multiple occasions the car wont recognize the gears used and it will act as though it is in neutral. I have also experienced a decline of power while driving as well as back firing in the engine when cylinders misfire. Heated seats don't always work and the key fobs don't always work.

- Fortuna, CA, USA

Jul 162014

Dart 4WD

The clutch pedal stuck to the floor preventing me from being able to shift out of gear or disengage the engine from the transmission. Because I am a mechanic I was able to avoid a crash. This is a complex issue and most consumers will freak out if they can not put there vehicle in neutral and the engine stalls from them trying to use the brakes.

- Balch Springs, TX, USA

Jul 262013

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph, the engine stalled, the transmission seized, and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle failed to restart after several attempts. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign: 13V238000 (power train). However, the failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on two occasions, the transmission was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 8,000.

- Bountiful, UT, USA

Aug 142014

Dart 4-cyl

I was sitting at a red light while my 2013 Dodge Dart was in drive on August 14, 2014. The light turned green so the car in front of me went. I attempted to drive and the car acted as if it were in neutral. The RPM's of the car climbed to 6000 and the car went nowhere. I put my foot on the brake because the car was in drive and the RPM's were still high. The RPM's lowered and around 2500 RPM's the car lunged forward as if it caught gear. I drove the vehicle home and parked it. I drove it the next day to the dealership and the transmission was making a clicking noise when it shifted. The dealership kept the car for four days. They said they could not duplicate the issue. I picked my car up on August 18, 2014. I drove the car home. On August 19, 2014 I took the Dodge Dart back to the dealership because it sounded as if the clicking in and out when changing gears was happening. I left the car at the dealership once again because I do not feel safe driving a car with transmission issues.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Dec 162013

Dart 4-cyl

I took the car in to the dealer to check for sluggish acceleration. It seems the turbo isn't working and I have to down-shift several times to get up a hill I travel every day. They said it just needed a computer update. Nothing changed after their "update". car backfires every morning it's cold outside and does not have any power until the engine warms up considerably. Car still backfires even during the summer months. Cruise turns off by itself and won't come back on unless I stop the car, turn it off, then restart it. All of these issues have been going on since before December. It is now July 2014 and a certified mechanic has checked out my engine--my turbo is trashed and there is oil in it!! there is a rod that opens the vacuum/air that is stuck. If this is something that was under a recall, I was never notified about it. The dealer I bought it from should have made the recalls known before I purchased it in May 2013. Or they should have at least checked for recalls and had them fixed before selling it. I purchased it used with 4000 miles on it; now I know why the previous owner wanted to buy another car!

- Cumberland City, TN, USA

Feb 032014

Dart 4-cyl

The electrical system cuts out several times when driving. At night it is bad because all the inside light go out and you can tell your speed or anything until it turns back on. The engine and fuel are one issue; after starting it the exhaust has a bad odor and stays during the entire travel until it is turned off. The engine also hesitates after coming to a complete stop.

- Georgetown, DE, USA

Mar 032014

Dart 4-cyl

Electrical system inside car shuts off and turns back on repeatedly, even if I am only going 2 miles down the road. The fuel and engine tie together as one; immediately after starting the vehicle the exhaust lets out a very strong odor that continue's for the entire duration of any trip. Then when accelerating using automatic drive or even the dry clutch the exhaust makes a loud rattling noise as it switches from gear to gear. Also, during driving the engine or transmission feels like it is slipping and has hesitation when you accelerate after stopping completely.

- Georgetown, DE, USA

May 112014

Dart 4-cyl

As we were crossing a large bridge in New York city, the engine light came on. Within a minute after the light came on, the engine light started blinking, and the car began to run very roughly. Smoke began to come from the vents, the car began to shake and overheat. After another minute, the car lost all power and became more difficult to control. We stopped at the closest area to pull off. Chrysler roadside assistance had us wait for two hours before notifying us that our car was located 100ft shy of being able to be towed. We managed to fudge the car another 100ft, and reached a side street where we needed to wait another two hours to be towed. This was May 11th. The verdict from the local dealer is that the entire bottom end fell off after just over one year of typical use (less than 17000 miles), and the engine must be rebuilt (crankshaft, engine block, everything). We still have not received an estimated time of completion, and only estimates of when the engine will be in (over a month later) detachment or partial detachment of these components is extraordinarily dangerous, particularly at the speed that we were moving, and we were very fortunate not to be injured, or be in an accident. We were even lucky to get off of the bridge.

- Shillington, PA, USA

Nov 042013

Dart 4-cyl

After several hours of staying parked with transmission in gear (1st), vehicle would not disengage gearbox on startup. Clutch lost all pressure and the vehicle required excessive use of force to dislodge gear shifter. Vehicle was started (clutch disengaged and in neutral) and vehicle began to drive forward. Clutch/transmission remained in contact with engine causing the vehicle to continue moving forward even while in neutral. Transmission/clutch wouldn't reengage without excessive force.

- Prairie Village, KS, USA

Mar 112014

Dart 4-cyl

While accelerating the vehicle began to randomly sputter/hesitate. Check engine light illuminated with fault code (P0352) and continued to sputter/hesitate during acceleration process. After diagnosis it appears the engine's ignition control system is failing and has been for some time. According to dealership, this is not covered outside basic warranty or any known recall.

- Prairie Village, KS, USA

Feb 262014

Dart

Vehicle stalls at any speed. Also intermittent hard starting.

- Trevor, WI, USA

Feb 262014

Dart 4-cyl

I wash stopped at a red light when vehicle motor started revving up all the way to where the tachometer was fully in the red. My foot was not on the accelerator and nothing was pressing the accelerator down. There were several cars in front of me and as well behind me. I could not get the car out of drive as it crept forward. I had to turn ignition off to stop the car! when light turned to green and the other cars had moved forward I then started the car and pulled it to the roadside. Turned the car off again and restarted the car. Everything seemed normal and continued to drive to my destination. Later driving the car home was definitely an adventure of pure nerves due to the scare this incident. I have now contacted the Dodge dealership where the car was purchased and waiting now for an hour for someone to contact me back for an appointment. This was a very scary situation to have happened but thankful no one was hurt.

- Dunnellon, FL, USA