CarComplaints.com Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

2013 Dodge Dart engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Dec 132013

Dart

Sitting idle in drive-thru car started smoking heavily under the hood and thru the interior vents. Finally stalled. Got it restarted but it would not go into gear. After about 30 minutes, it finally went into drive and I drove it immediately to the nearest Dodge dealer. After a week, they found the dual clutches both needed replaced. Was told that I would have to put the car in N whenever sitting at an idle longer than a few seconds. (this is unacceptable to me). Was also told that I was not to 'ride' the brake. Either "be on in or off of it". (this is also unacceptable to me.) also, car revs up to ~5,000rpms before shifting from 1st to 2nd but (of course) never does it when I leave it for the dealer. Am not happy with my purchase. My dealer has been good but I will not be buying another Dodge. I buy new for safety, security and reliability and with this vehicle, I feel I have none of the 3. the lease cannot be over soon enough.

- Kokomo, IN, USA

Nov 292013

Dart 4-cyl

Owned this vehicle for 10 months and issues with engine stalling/hesitation have gotten progressively worse since my first encounter at the dealership at 13,300 miles. I first reported this issue with engine stalling/hesitation and they stated it was a spark plug/plug wire issue, (iridium spark plugs rated for 100,000 miles). After replacing the spark plug they then determined it needed a control module replaced and an engine reset for my computer system. After that it has been in a few more times over the last 3 months for the same engine stalling and hesitation issues. My engine has been "reset and the computer updated" and since my gas mileage has gotten worse as well as the stalling/hesitation issues are still there and becoming more frequent. Then my transmission started slipping as I was in D as if I had put my vehicle into N and pressed the gas pedal just revving the engine, it has done the same when I switch to put my vehicle in R. I took it back to the dealer and they couldn't duplicate the issue therefore giving them nothing to go by other than my word of mouth experience. Days after taking my vehicle home from the dealer it went out on my as I was driving on a major thoroughway at 50mph. I pressed the gas approaching an intersection and it just revved the engine, lights flashed on shifter and dash. I had to manually switch through my gears to try and get the car to go. After my husband pulled my vehicle to the nearest parking area safely I tried to start the vehicle again and go forward, it wouldn't start right away it tried to crank but wouldn't turn over when it started just the service engine light was on my dash no more errors were displayed. I did manage to take pictures with my cellphone before. I want Dodge to own up and fix this instead od putting a bandaid and sending me along. Customer care has not been helpful at all and this vehicle is not safe.

- Edgewater, FL, USA

Dec 102012

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact was driving 65 mph when the engine suddenly stalled. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer but the defect could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact informed the manufacturer of the defect. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number 13V28000 (power train) but the vehicle was not included in the recall. The failure mileage was 200.

- Laredo, TX, USA

Oct 272013

Dart

Vehicle is the 1.4L multiair turbo model with the ddct automatic transmission. Waiting in a parking lot, stopped in event traffic, car began emitting smoke from under the hood. After a couple minutes, with the smoke intensifying, the vehicle shut off and would not restart immediately afterwards. Right before the shutoff, the low oil pressure indicator came on. The vehicle had been running no more than 20 minutes and there were no other malfunction indicators illuminated on dash, nor had there ever been prior. The aaa provider confirmed with me that visually everything seemed to be fine and in proper working condition with all fluid levels in acceptable ranges. Vehicle has been towed to the dealership and is currently being investigated. Vehicle was ordered May 11, 2013 and received August 19, 2013. Currently has 5555 miles. This even sounds almost identical to complaint NHTSA id number: 10496762 quoted below in its entirety: TL* the contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while in a parking lot idling, smoke started to emit through the vents and the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the oil pressure low warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 1,600 and the current mileage was 2,000.

- Conshohocken , PA, USA

Sep 232013

Dart 4-cyl

Was going to pick up my boyfriend and when 3 miles from home oil pressure light came on. I was on a major highway and was trying to get to a safe pull off spot when the car died in the middle of the highway.(this section of highway was an area of major semi-truck traffic) all the oil had drained out of the vehicle and had to have the car towed to dealership. They said it was two certain parts and would be ready the next day. Called back and said now something else wrong and had to order another part (the turbo) they don't know when it will be ready. This car has 249 miles at the time of incident! I am terrified to drive this car and I am furious with Dodge when they are aware of the issues with this model car and just continue to ignore or blame the customers. Somebody needs to step up and do something for the safety of the consumer before someone gets hurt or killed! will be looking into some kind of class action lawsuit.

- Beaver, PA, USA

Jul 182013

Dart 4-cyl

After driving for an hour, I stop at a red light to make a left turn on a left turn only lane. Upon the light turning green, I press the gas pedal and there was no response. After approximately 4 to 10 seconds the car aggressively jerked forward into oncoming traffic. Thankfully everyone waited.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Jul 102013

Dart 4-cyl

When I went to take off, across a highway, my vehicle would not accelerate correctly. It would only run about 1mph. Causing me to barely make it across the road before being hit by on coming traffic. Chrysler is checking it out and are assuming it is the turbo-charger. They are asking my mechanic to pull the turbo-charger down and send to them pictures before they make any further judgments on the problem. I had only had the car for appox. 2 1/2 weeks when the trouble occurred. My car is still in the shop and they can't tell me when it could be fixed. I just made the first payment on July 17, 2013 and don't have use of my car.

- East Wenatchee, WA, USA

Jan 102013

Dart 4-cyl

The cooling system had had problems with going up and down.it hasn't got all the way up the the "H" or hot mark but it goes up to the 3/4 mark quite regularly and it smells like hot electrical parts. It usually happens when stopped at like say a "drive through" line or something like that when the car is in drive but not moving. I've took it in to the dealership and they saw pictures and I even made it get up to 3/4 on the temp gauge and they say that as long as it is not on the "H" then it is fine and the reason is because there are flaps that close when not moving. I have checked with people who are technicians and they say that the temp going up like that will affect the longevity of the engine in a negative way, but the Dodge dealership says it's O.K. I've never drove a car that has did this and not had a problem with the cooling system and am concerned that this will affect my car in the long run.

- Eureka, CA, USA

Jul 022013

Dart 4-cyl

While driving approximately 70 miles per hour down the highway my Dart suddenly lost all power. The steering wheel acted as if there was no key in it and locked up. The breaks slowly applied themselves, and the vehicle would not shift into neutral so that I could move over to the side of the road. I have worked with the company and the dealership and it will not duplicate for any reason. However, I have been having issues with power of the vehicle every month since January. Wither it be not starting or failing to key less start. This is the first time for complete power failure. Chrysler refuses to do anything about it and wants me to drive it around with a black box in it.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 142013

Dart

I bought my 13 Dart (1.4 w/6spd) and at the 200 mile mark the car began to "surge" when shifting through 2nd and 3rd gear, from 2,700 to 3,300 rpms. Initially it was just annoying and noticeable. My 1st trip to the dealership didn't solve the problem, but the service manager told me Dodge said it is a normal function of the multiair turbo, and I should switch to premium fuel. While at the dealership I drove a used 1.4/6spd and it had the same surging issue. Another week went by and at approx 1,400 miles the surging could be felt in 4th gear. A second trip to the dealership didn't resolve the problem. Again, Dodge told the service manager "it's normal. Switch to premium." I then switched to premium and after three full tanks the vehicle now surges in 2 to 6th gear, all around 2,700 to 3,300 rpms. Additionally, on multiple occasions the vehicle was going 45mph in 4th and when I tried to speed up the car would surge violently and I had to pull over to avoid oncoming traffic because the car would not go any faster. Now, a third trip to the dealership still no resolution. Now, at 6,100 miles, I was driving through wva hills and in 6th at 75mph the car began to violently surge causing me to pull over out of the way of oncoming traffic behind me. I have switched back to 87 grade gas but I only get 39mpg avg vs 45mpg avg I was getting. Initially, I was excited about my new purchase and the dealership communicated with me extensively. Now that they have no resolution for this "normal" surge the GM won't call me back or answer my calls. When I called Chrysler the initial case manager took my case for investigation, but after only 2 days she told me the case has been forwarded up to a higher level executive investigation team, but in over a week I have heard nothing. Now even the initial case manager won't respond. Dealership acknowledges the surge issue in every repair invoice.

- New Bern, NC, USA

Dec 112012

Dart 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the check engine and battery warning lights illuminated on the instrutment panel and the vehicle stalled. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and it was determined that the vehicle needed a software update. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 2,731 and the current mileage was 5,000.

- Philidelphia, PA, USA

Feb 182013

Dart 4-cyl

On 02/18/2013 car would start, but would not go in to gear, error message read put in to reverse and try again. Would not switch into reverse or neutral or drive at all, it was very cold that morning (27) dealership says it is the transmission, still waiting for the parts (03/05/2013).

- Montgomery Village, MD, USA

Feb 182013

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the electronic throttle control and check engine warning lamps illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure and decided to reset the computer as a temporary remedy. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 400 and the current mileage was 900.

- Burwell , NE, USA

Jan 092013

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while in a parking lot idling, smoke started to emit through the vents and the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the oil pressure low warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 1,600 and the current mileage was 2,000.

- Hampton , NH, USA

Jan 172013

Dart

My assessment, which is based on engineering expertise not empirical evidence, suggests that, rather than responding to driver controlled by-wire" instructions to brake preparatory to a hard right turn into our driveway, the vehicle took control of the throttle, brake, and (drive-by-wire ?) clutch propelling itself 20 meters further down-road to the river shoreline. Perhaps reading the brake command as an acceleration instruction (or "?") the vehicle continued forward and drove itself off the road, tumbling 2 metres onto a beach, then from the beach onto the river ice which extends out towards mid-river. It continued across that ice only to end its forward progress at the ice/water boundary where it plunged into open water within 100 meters of home. These events effectively ending a journey home with death. The ottawa coroner reports no indication (such as blood alcohol levels / medical events) to indicate the driver contributed to this outcome in any way. If the driver is not responsible then responsibility for this event lies with the vehicle and the vehicle alone. It is worth noting that (1) my son is a professional AZ licensed driver (2) having fished it often, is intimately familiar with the road/ferry boundary immediately adjacent to our home (3) were mechanically operated steering all that remained under his control he would have had three choices: Right into the river; straight ahead into the river, or left onto a beach formed by the deposition of river silt over time (the car went left off the road) (4) the record left by his body shows arm and fist posture that suggest deployment of the airbags literally forced his hands off the steering wheel. Strapped and pinned to their seats by the vehicles safety systems, my wife and son were helpless onlookers as the vehicle delivered them to their death. Black box analysis to follow.

- Watertown, NY, USA