8.3

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan:

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments

Jul 092015

Grand Caravan SE 3.0L

This thing has spark, has fuel, and will not start. Codes pointed to PCM and to other items on the vehicle,

changed PCM, still will not start. Now I here all the other storys about this horror of it quiting, in many years of many models of this and Chrysler. and this one is also quit and will not start. Amazing, a engine that has fuel, has spark, and will not run. And all the way to the year 2011, from 1998 problems of all kinds, and likley beyond, and this dealer has not done a dam thing about it? ? ? ? ? They should have the pants sued off of them, in Trillions of Dollars and made to give back every last dam cent to the people that have owned them. Amazing, HAS FUEL< HAS SPARK, will not run. TIMING BELT IS IN PLACE, BRAN NEW, NEW THIS AND THATS, Everywhere And will not run. It just up and quit, and since then, it will not start. TIPM storys, bla bla bla. God knows all about you car dealers as well as you politicains, and if you do no think that is HIS CROSS in the northern Hemisphere in the sky, you have another thing coming Chyrsler

- , Spk, WA, USA

Apr 192015

Grand Caravan 3.3L

This happened today but has been occurring for the past 2 years. While I was driving, the instrument panel went dark (gas gauge, heater indicator, rpm dropped to zero and all dash lights went off). Only the signal lights and radio operated. The engine was still running so I drove 20 km home, parked the vehicle, turned the engine off and then it wouldn't restart. I didn't stop for gas, which I needed.

For the past two years, I have been having this problem off and on. Sometimes if I leave the van just sitting for a day or two, it would then start with no problem and will run fine for a while (sometimes two weeks with no problem). I have had a mechanic check the van but he couldn't figure out what the problem is. On occasion if I remove and reconnect the negative battery terminal several times, the problem would disappear and the van will start and run. I will use it for a few weeks and then it happens all over again.

Many Dodge Grand Caravan (1997-2005) owners seem to have had this type of problem over the years and I think Chrysler should have recalled these vehicles and fixed this problem, since it seems to be clear that this fault is in the manufacture, not a wear-and-tear problem.

- , Toronto, ON, Canada

Jul 112013

Grand Caravan LX 3.1L

OCASSIONALLY, THE VAN DOESN'T START. THOUGHT IT WAS THE ALTERNATOR. THEN THOUGHT MAYBE THE STARTER, ALL THAT REPLACED....BRAND NEW BATTERY. THEN WAS TOLD BY A MECHANIC THAT DEALS MAINLY WITH THIS MODEL VAN THAT, THE WIRING HARNESS IS TOO CLOSE TO THE MANIFOLD, CAUSING THE WIRES TO SHORT OUT.?? DID I MENTION THE LIGHTS FLICKERING ON AND OFF IF I HAVE TO DRIVE ANYWHERE AT NIGHT??? ....ANY SUGGESTIONS? COULD IT BE THE WIRING HARNESS???

- , Lumber Bridge, NC, USA

May 292014

Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L V6

Being stranded with five kids for hours at a time until my van decides to start for no reason is for the birds. I've had to invest in a tow company just so I have peace of mind to get home. I called tow 3 times in 2 months, finally I just had people pick me up and I'd go back next day for it to start like nothing went wrong. I believe faulty alarm is to blame.

- , Pontiac, MI, USA

Oct 032012

Grand Caravan LX 3.2L V6

My van will just quit starting, I don't know when this will happen so I consider this van not dependable !!!!!! I don't know what to do about this and I am VERY unhappy about it. I bought it in May of 2012 because it gets very good gas mileage, but what good it that if it isn't dependable ?????? I don't know who to contact to try to solve this problem. I noticed that there are other people with this same problem!

- , Guymon, OK, USA

May 092012

Grand Caravan 3.0L

cant rely on my vehicle, if it starts and i get where im going might not be able to get baqck if it decides not to start

- , Baldwin, NY, USA

Jun 012012

Grand Caravan SE 3.8L V6

NOW IT'S NOT STARTING AT ALL. I ONLY HAD THAT PROBLEM FOR A COUPLE OF TIMES WITHIN THE LAST FEW DAYS.

- , Martin, OH, USA

Dec 042011

Grand Caravan LE 3.3L

was told that problem may be in anti theft system. tried the deal with key in driver side door where you turn it one way then another. no worky. finally was told to put charger on battery and turn ignition to run position and leave overnight. this worked, but it has happened again. ??????

- , Michigan City, IN, USA

Jul 122010

Grand Caravan LX 3.8L V6

Tried replacing the cutoff relays in the fuse box (the three smallest fuses at the top- vertically- of the fuse box) but the problem only returned. It's madening, nothing seems to work, mechanics, fuse shuffling, praying. What is this mystery problem? A ghost sitting on my car!?

My mechanic seems to think its the computer (I heard this is 300.00 by now) the cars brain that manages various mechanical controls on the engine. He says it need s to be replaced.

If I replace that its like buying a home PC almost, what the Hell! If you just replace this part is it gonna be like replacing a light bulb, or a lost social security card.

- , Staten Island, NY, USA

Jul 012009

Grand Caravan V6

My van keeps shutting down right after I start it with no warning . It doesn't happen every time at first iit would happpen every few months now it happens once or twice a week. Sometimes it takes an hour or let it sit overnite before it will start again. I've taken it to many mechanics and even to Pepboys several times and no one seems to know what is causing it they fixed lots of things hoping it's it but still have the same problem. I am a mom of 4 and when ever the van decides to do this we're stranded where ever we are. Does any one have a solution?

- , Camden, NJ, USA

Apr 012008

Grand Caravan ES 3.8L V6

it keeps shutting down right after i start it. it doesn't happen every time but every few weeks or so. sometimes it takes an hour or let it sit overnite before it will start again. i've had it looked at several times and no one seems to know what is causing it. does any one have a solution? i'm trying to sell it and want to fix it before i do.

- , Butte, MT, USA

Feb 222009

Grand Caravan 3.3L

the vehicle will start 20 times then with no warning it will start then shut off in two seconds then not start again until the next day.

Update from Jun 26, 2010: still the same, have no cure for the problem yet

Update from Sep 10, 2010: i was still having the no start problem until i had to get rid of a perfectly good van if it started. tired of dealing with this mystery problem for too long. some say try a computer but if it didnt fix it i would be out even more money.

- , Toronto, ON, Canada