1.9

2007 Dodge Grand Caravan fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2007 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 292015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that after refueling and driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the fuel filter was replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Orange Park , FL, USA

Nov 032014

Grand Caravan

Vehicle hesitated first time while going 50 mph after refueling - regular gas. Checked the tach, went to almost zero, then back up again. Rode rough for a while. Stalled first time after refueling w/ regular gas, @ 35 mph, almost causing me to hit a curb - loss of power steering and brakes. Restarted okay. Stalled a 2nd time after refueling at red light, just 500 ft from gas station. Took 2 times to start it. When we figured it was not a bad tank of gas, we had our local mechanic check it, and we paid over $200 for a crankshaft position sensor to be replaced. But we refueled the van soon after, and it stalled out again. That was when I decided to look online to see if anyone else has encountered the same problem. I was amazed at how many people had complained, and were told it?S not a known issue. It sounds to me like Dodge/Chrysler doesn't want to accept responsibility for the problem. I checked online and found 40 complaints for the same issue here: en.allexperts.com/Q/Chrysler-repair-807/F/stalling-refueling.htm [Dodge Caravan and/or Chrysler Town & Country stalling after refueling]. they all called Dodge/Chrysler and were told that it wasn't a known issue. Please follow through on this, and have Dodge/Chrysler rectify it before someone is killed. Here is a page not by Dodge that gives the solution: ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/engine-stalls-after-filling-tank-Chrysler-minivan/ the remedy is to pay over $700 for an entire tank, because Chrysler doesn't sell the part alone, which is the vapor/liquid separator valve. Please help!

- Tabernacle, NJ, USA

Oct 122014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

After getting gas, when I slow to come to a stop the car stalls out. It will usually start right back up and I don't have a problem until I get gas again. This is a concern as I am usually driving my children around and it happened after I pulled out onto a busy 4 lane road and had to slow due to an upcoming light. We were almost hit because the cars coming up saw that the light was now green. I put on my blinkers as fast as I could but that did not save us from nearly being hit as we were sitting ducks.

- Woodbury, NJ, USA

Oct 022014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Several times following a fill up, the van has stalled out, usually just a few hundred feet from the pumps. Unfortunately, this usually as we are pulling into traffic. From what I've read online, the only fix to this problem is to replace the entire gas tank system.

- New Palestine, IN, USA

Jul 232014

Grand Caravan

My wife just finished refueling and proceeded from the station and turned out on the highway. Upon approaching a stoplight came to a complete stop. After the light turned greed proceeded to accelerate, after pressing the accelerator the vehicle began to stumble and then stall.

- Fort Sill, OK, USA

Jul 012013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Right after gas tank fill up engine stalls, and on several occasions was on highway, and power went off after stalling with loss of control of steering, and rapid deceleration with near miss of being rear ended. Someone is going to be killed, and according to the reported incidences on the internet someone will eventually be killed or severely injured.

- Canton, CT, USA

May 122014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

In May 2014, at approximately 55mph, after refueling and driven 50 miles. The engine light came on. Stopped vehicle and checked everything that I could check, as I had just had it serviced approx. 300 miles prior. Continued on trip, after spending night in motel, took vehicle to repair facility and they did diagnostics...came up with code 461, which was fuel lever sensor in gas tank. Continued on trip, (1300 miles), after that two times when I had filled up with gas again the vehicle died within 2 miles...no engine light ever came back on. This continued throughout the summer, occurring 80% of the time I refueled...took to dealer as I have extended warranty, they are looking into it, but said because the engine light doesn't come back on, they can't evaluate it. Read somewhere since I took it back to the dealer, that if I don't fill the tank up fully, that will cure the problem" the engine dying happens while driving less than 20mph, so far...could be a problem pulling out in traffic" this is now October, still experiencing problem.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jan 032014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

After fueling the vehicle, pulling out from the gas station, the van stalls violently: Loses power, lurches & surges. This has become increasingly severe, most recently nearly causing a collision when the van stalled out as we were leaving the gas station in heavy traffic. The problem is the vapor/liquid separator valve located at the top of the fuel tank. The valve is designed to prevent liquid fuel from entering the charcoal canister/emissions system. When the valve fails, liquid gas can enter the line and fill the charcoal canister. After refueling the PCM on the vehicle detects a change in fuel level. Then, when the engine meets certain temperature and driving criteria, the PCM issues a purge command to the charcoal canister to remove the stored gas vapors. It"S at that point that all the liquid gas in the line gets sucked into the charcoal canister. The PCM expects to see gas vapors entering the intake manifold and it is prepared to adjust air/fuel mixtures to compensate. However, it is not prepared to see liquid gas coming into the intake. That"S what causes the engine to stall. Unfortunately, the only fix is to replace the entire gas tank. Chrysler does not sell the vapor/liquid valve as a separate unit. We are now at nearly 100,000 miles, and the problem persists and continues to get more severe. I have called Dodge, but they say there is no extended warranty on the fuel tank/evaporation canister.

- Glasgow , KY, USA

Apr 072014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

On approximately 04/07/2014 the van was filled up with gas, I took the nozzle out when it shut off and did not put any extra gas into tank. I started up the van to exit the station we drove about 100 yards and the van jerked with a knocking sound twice and stalled. I started the van back up, when it did start the idle was rough and low. I held my foot on the gas peddle to slightly raise the RPM's for about 30 seconds before we proceeded. It took a couple of miles before the van seemed to be about normal. This has happened two other times since then. Another complaint, the front brakes squeak every time you apply them.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 302009

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

After filling the gas tank on our 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan, it stalls regularly after driving a few hundred yards. Most recently it stalled as my family was merging in traffic.

- Imperial, PA, USA

Sep 122014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Refueled vehicle, after shutting off ignition, vehicle stalls immediately after starting.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Mar 032014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

25 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. This failure occurred twice after the vehicle was filed with fuel. The vehicle was taken to the independent mechanic for a diagnostic testing, however they could not duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Medford, MA, USA

Oct 122013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Frequently after filling up with gas at costco, the van stalls, especially while I am going around a turn. It has come close to causing an accident but I have been able to put it in neutral and get it started quickly enough to avoid getting rear-ended. Very strange and annoying.

- St Peters, MO, USA

Dec 302013

Grand Caravan

When I fill up my van, the vehicle will start however after a few minutes and I am on the highway the car completely shuts off. Have had to several mechanics look at the van, and no one knows what the issue is. I try to ride around the gas station parking lot to insure the van is going to run because I have had several close calls when the vehicle shuts down when I am trying to cross traffic. I will then have no brakes, power steering, etc. The van shuts completely off. I usually able to restart the vehicle. This is a very unsafe issue.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Dec 202013

Grand Caravan

I just completed filling up my vehicle with regular gasoline. About 100 yards from the filling station, my van stuttered and stalled. It does this every time I fill it up. It stalled in the middle of an intersection. I did some research and it looks like it is the result of a failed component of the emissions system and a pretty common problem with Chrysler/Dodge vans. community.cartalk.com/discussion/2137227/engine-dies-after-gasoline-fill-up.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Oct 042011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Recurring issue of engine stalling after refueling. Usually within 5 minutes of filling, and when driving slowly. Internet search indicates this is a rampant problem, not only with Caravan, but with other Chrysler/Dodge vehicles. Apparently the entire gas tank requires replacement, which indicates to me it is a design flaw and should be recalled.

- Frederick, MD, USA