2007 Dodge Grand Caravan fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2007 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012016

Grand Caravan

Stalling after refueling when I fill up my gas tank, almost immediately afterward pulling out of the gas station my van sputters, misses, hesitates, call it what you will. The past couple of times the engine has actually stalled as well.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Oct 102015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan. While slowing down the vehicle to stop, the vehicle shut down without warning. The vehicle restarted, but the failure recurred several times. The vehicle restarted after each failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that there were no recalls. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Franlin Park, IL, USA

Apr 132016

Grand Caravan

Shortly after fueling van it stalls steering wheel locks up and I loose all power. This has happened a number of times including being on busy roadways, when I loose full control of my vehicle. Every incidence has also happened when I have had my three children in the van.I have researched and this is a very well known problem. Why has something not been done? do my children and I have to be killed in an automobile accident.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Dec 232015

Grand Caravan

After refueling the car will stall for short period. This is extremely dangerous as it may stall while pulling into he roadway. NHTSA worked with Dodge on other models to extend the warranty to lifetime. My vehicle has the same issue and the repair is to replace the fuel tank at a cost in excess of $700. Dodge should have redesigned the fuel system to correct this issue as the same issue was lifetime warranties in prior year models.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Feb 052016

Grand Caravan

After filling up the tank with gas, the car, almost always, stalls, a few minutes into driving. I've been concerned about this, since my wife mostly uses this car, and has stalled on the highway several times.I have had it stall in the middle of a busy intersection.of course, the power steering also cuts out when the engine shuts down which compounds the danger. When I "googled" the words "2007 Grand Caravan stalls", a very long list of people with the same complaint immediately came up.apparently, the small part causing this malfunction is part of the entire gas tank and cannot be replaced without replacing the entire gas tank. This is a very expensive repair, and not affordable to many. Chrysler should be recalling these vehicles and repairing what is obviously a major design flaw, before someone is seriously hurt or killed. This is not a defect in some innocuous interior part of the car, it affects the safe operation of a moving vehicle!

- Mahwah, NJ, USA

Jan 012012

Grand Caravan

Engine stalls post refueling while vehicle in motion in parking lot and on roadway interior reading lights melting and smoking when turned on door lock on right and left rear sliding door will not lock or unlock via auto door locking/ unlocking button.

- Munfordville, KY, USA

Jun 082015

Grand Caravan

Every time the fuel tank is filled up, and after we start driving, the engine will just stall. It could lead to an accident if this happens in traffic. Luckily this hasn't happened yet. There are several other cases on the internet, for example, on this website:

- Cary, NC, USA

Mar 092015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan. While refueling the vehicle, the fuel stopped flowing through the vehicle without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The technician diagnosed that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000. MA 09/22

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Aug 062014

Grand Caravan

I filled the fuel tank & then proceded to drive home. After leaving the gas station the van stalled in traffic 4 times. This has happened every time I have filled the gas tank since 8/6/2014

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 012013

Grand Caravan

Vehicle stalls intermittently while driving shortly after filling up with fuel. Vehicle continues to stall periodically without any known consistency. During the stall, the engine cuts out and the steering wheel locks up. This has occurred several times in the parking lot after filling up and while entering the roadway after filling up. This a very dangerous and serious concern for when a loss of power occurs on the roadway serious and potentially fatal accidents may occur.

- Denton, TX, USA

Apr 052015

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The last few times I have completely filled up my gas tank - the vehicle has stalled. I have had to tried to stop and restart the ignition/engine a number of times for the vehicle to run. This is happening with full gas full-up and happened to me again last night. I have seen this as being a common problem for Chrysler/Dodge minivans in a few on-line forums. Some reports have the vehicles stalling on highways and/or when driving. My vehicle is a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT.

- East Hampstead, NH, USA

Mar 152012

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled after the vehicle was refueled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000. The VIN was not available.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Sep 032014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan. Immediately after adding fuel to the vehicle and restarting the engine, the vehicle stalled without warning. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 8/21/15 the consumer stated the vehicle stalls intermittently, not on every fill up. Usually, the stall would occur after fill up and a few minutes after leaving the pump. Updated 10/14/2015

- Lansing, MI, USA

Mar 222015

Grand Caravan

The engine stalled twice within 5 minutes of refueling. The vehicle was filled with unleaded 87 octane gas to full. The gas pump auto stopped when full, and the tank was not topped off. The first stall happened while the vehicle was idling at a stop sign approximately 1 minute after fueling. The engine restarted, but stalled again approximately 2 minutes later. The second stall occurred while the vehicle was in motion at approximately 15-20 mph and turning left. The stall left the vehicle without power steering, and the vehicle coasted into a driveway. There was no accident because of light traffic. Under different circumstances or traffic patterns, a stalled engine leaving a moving vehicle powerless likely would cause an accident resulting in possible injury or death. This same problem has occurred approximately 5-6 times in the last 2 years, however I can not be specific on dates. It was only when my wife and I were together this last time that we both commented on the problem, and found that it has happened to each of us several times. I believe any manufacturer defect which causes a moving vehicle to lose power and become uncontrollable while in motion is an extremely serious and potentially deadly problem.

- Salem, WI, USA

Nov 212014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The vehicle stalls after re-fueling. We re-fuel at different gas stations (brands) and the issue remains. Every time we fill the tank and pull out of the gas station into traffic, the engine sputters after driving approximately two blocks, as if it is not receiving enough fuel. The engine then stalls. The engine can be restarted and will not sputter or stall until the next time we re-fuel it. We encounter this issue weekly, after every fill up. It is a potentially dangerous issue because the vehicle stalls in traffic and could cause a traffic accident.

- Darien, IL, USA

Feb 022015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that after refueling, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000.

- Lakewood, NJ, USA

Jan 082009

Grand Caravan

After filling gas tank, engine hesitated and killed. After researching, determined this is a fuel tank valve issue common to minivans. Not covered under warranty, obvious manufacture defect. Valve allows liquid gas into vapor system. Issue still exists, temporary fix is to not fill tank completely when refueling. Expensive repair.

- Fridley, MN, USA

Jun 062014

Grand Caravan

Numerous times right after I fuel up, the van sputters, shakes, and the engine quits. Even if I hold the gas pedal steady, it jerks as if I was pressing the pedal quickly then letting go. When I stop at a light, the engine dies completely. This happens almost every time I fuel up. It has never happened beyond 1 day after I fuel up. It does not matter which gas station I fill up at, nor the quality of the fuel I buy, the problem still happens. One time the engine even quit while I was driving! (usually it quits when I stop at a light or stop sign.) it takes 2-3 tries and then the engine starts again and the van shakes, jerks, and sputters once again as if it is not getting enough fuel.

- Boise, ID, USA

Jul 312013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Vehicle runs fine until you refuel and get back on the road then it's starts spitting and sputtering you have to completely let off the gas to keep from stalling it out. Also it dies when sitting on a hill with less than a half a tank of gas and won't crank back until it's on flat ground.

- Horse Shoe, NC, USA

Nov 062014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Approximately three months ago, my 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan stalled as I came to a stop sign in a parking lot. I was able to start right back up after putting my van in park. Being unsure why this happened, I drove around the parking lot a few minutes before getting on the road. It stalled one more time, but then I had no other problems and drove home. This occurred immediately after filling my van with gas, but I did not associate the problem with fueling at the time. Since that incident, this has become a recurring issue of the engine stalling only after filling my tank. When refueling now, I drive around near the gas station to insure the van is going to run. After getting gas, when I slow to come to a stop or I have stopped, the car may stall out. I have been able to restart my van by putting it in park, starting and pumping the gas peddle for a few seconds before proceeding. Fortunately, when my van has stalled, I have not been trying to cross traffic or traveling at a high rate of speed; however, the potential for serious injury does exist. Before taking my car to a dealership, I decided to look online to see if anyone else has encountered the same issue. My search found this to be a common enough problem that a defect petition DP14-002 was filed in September 2014 with doi. According to online resources, the remedy is to replace the entire tank. The problem is the vapor/liquid separator valve located at the top of the fuel tank and the valve is not sold separately. This appears to be a design flaw and I wonder why a recall has not been issued.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA