2008 Dodge Grand Caravan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 102016

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the horn, locks, and window wipers functioned independently and the tranmission failed. All the warning indicators were illuminated. The failure occurred various times. The dealer diagnosed that the tipm failed and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 105,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Homer Glen, IL, USA

Aug 102015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the transaxle was rough when switching gears and when the brake pedal was depressed. In addition, the vehicle jerked when shifting gears. The contact also stated that the sliding doors failed to close. The contact had to manually open and close the doors as the failure progressed. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V235000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Mar 262016

Grand Caravan

Van has been stalling out since I have owned it. I purchased new in 2008. It is at second dealer performing recall for the ignition for the second time. I have been with out a vehicle since 3/26/2016. First dealer dutch miller Dodge kept van from 3/26/16 until 5/6/16. Released vehicle back to me with same problem it went in for. I have filed a complaint with Dodge. After having to schedule a appointment with a different dealer and wait for a service date of 6/20/16. The vehicle is at the new dealership I 77 ripley. They are redoing the recall from a year ago that dutch miller had performed. This is the fourth week they have been working on the vehicle and recall problem. I have requested many times for a rental car and both the lifetime warranty I purchased with the van and Dodge have both refused to provide me a vehicle. I have been since March 26, 2016. Without a vehicle and I have had to borrow cars from family and beg for rides because Dodge can not or will not fix my recall on my van.I have been very patient with this situation but something needs to be done. If this vehicle I paid $41,000 for in 2008 is not repairable and not safe to be on public roads due to recall then I feel they need to reimburse me and compensate for my transportation problems..

- Charleston, WV, USA

Feb 012016

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the vehicle was difficult to shift when slowing down. The check engine light illuminated during the failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the transmission was faulty. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Lexington, NC, USA

Mar 182016

Grand Caravan

A few week ago, in the morning when me and the wife had just dropped one of our children off at elementary school, got back into the car, turned it on and started to drive away; the car did a hard jerk motion and then all the lights came on. So the next I took our van to Firestone because cause my ABS, brake, esp and other breaking information lights came and their was a strange noise coming from the from driver side of the car all at the same time. When Firestone tech found the problem he told me that the ABS system was faulty and I was also told that Dodge company knows about the problem but is not a safety recall. So for a small part that helps with the safety of my four young children and wife I paid 675 to fix the problem. And at this date and time my van is now setting at transmission shop so that I can find out if the ABS going out some how did something to my transmission.

- Erwin, NC, USA

Mar 072016

Grand Caravan

Vehicle automatically downshifts from drive to 2nd gear above 35 mph and from drive to 1st gear below 35 mph. Causing dangerous deceleration. This is not a once in a while situation but happens constantly. Once you start the car and shift from park to drive, it will shift down while stopped or as described above within ten seconds. Dangerous driving conditions. Chrysler says not covered by lifetime powertrain warranty and say it can be fixed at my expense. Unfortunately, it can happen anytime to anyone and should be a safety recall on all vehicles similarly equipped.

- Ftanconia, NH, USA

Aug 052015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. When attempting to place the vehicle in park, the brake pedal would have to be depressed at abnormal pressure and several attempts to shift the gear would have to be made. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Alpena, MI, USA

Aug 122015

Grand Caravan

My van has started having problems changing gears between the speeds of 30-60 mph. This most frequently occurs around the speeds of 40-50 mph, but have, however, occurred at all speeds within the 30-60 mph range. The van also often accelerates slowly after coming to a full stop. During both given instances, it will be sluggish and sounds like it needs to shift gears yet does not do so. This process also greatly depletes my gas as the transmission isn't shifting properly. I have inquired about a recall on this issue but have found that there aren't any. I, however, have found many complaints online from other owners with this same issue. The date I will provide below is approximately when this started occurring, but does not imply that this situation only occurred once as it continues still.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Aug 272015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle lost power. In addition, while driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. All the warning lights and interior lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 137,000.

- Portage, MI, USA

Oct 072015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. After the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system), the gear shifter failed to shift out of park. The contact was able to switch the gear in order for the vehicle to be driven. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the intake manifold gasket, the transmission, and the gear shifter assembly needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 119,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 182015

Grand Caravan

Overheating when driving. Coolant leaking at heater hoses, shift over heat. Problems after recall repair service performed.

- West Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 052015

Grand Caravan

I was coming home from visiting relatives out of state, and got caught up in some traffic. I tried to accelerate once the traffic cleared up but the transmission just whined. After pulling over, shutting the car off for about 10 minutes, the car began to drive as normal for the next hour or so. Once I was about 5 miles from home, it seemed to start doing it again, but stuttering this time. Over the course of the next 4 miles or so, I had to repeatedly stop, turn the car off, wait 5 minutes or so, then go again. Took me an hour to go 5 miles pretty much. I was unable to check the transmission fluid as it is a "dealer only" item (ridiculous!).

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Jul 052015

Grand Caravan

I was driving home from out of state and got caught up in traffic for about twenty miles. After clearing traffic, I tried to accelerate but the vehicle was not changing from low gear. I had to pull over for about ten minutes before I was able to drive at a normal speed again.

- Paterson, NJ, USA

Dec 152013

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. While parked, the vehicle went into auto reverse without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Veneta , OR, USA

Apr 152015

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Premature wear and failure of front wheel bearings, all rotors, brakes and pads. Possible failures are due to inferior parts being used during vehicle assembly.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jan 152014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving at approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was taken to another dealer where it was diagnosed that the door module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 11V139000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- Amhurst, NY, USA

Feb 122015

Grand Caravan

I was driving at 45 mph when suddenly van revved up from 1500 RPM to 3500 RPM, and speed went down to 30 mph. Somehow I got my car to my work place and parked it. I suspected my transmission had gone bad. I decided to take my car to a transmission shop. I drove the van at 30 mph at 3500 RPM to the transmission shop. Their technician drove the van around, did some other inspection and reported that there was no problem with my transmission. However he mentioned there was a electrical power loss which made my van go into limp mode. Remarkably my van started driving normally after the inspection. I took my van to authorized Dodge dealer. They pulled some codes from the computer which indicated power loss to several equipment. They suspected the tipm module, but did not have hard evidence from the codes. They advised me to leave van overnight at the service area, and have them check it out. I declined because arranging alternate transportation was difficult. Today morning, while driving the van, wiper blade suddenly started running. It stopped on its own after few cycles. Now I am unable to start the van. Reading through forums where drivers have experienced similar issues, I am confident it is the tipm on my van. It is a safety issue, since I drive on the freeway a lot, and if van goes into limp mode, it will be a hazard. Looks like Dodge is aware of this issue. Why don't they accept the situation and deal with it by issuing a safety recall and fixing the tipm. Please force Dodge to issue recall, else I will need to spend $1000 atleast to fix tipm.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Dec 112013

Grand Caravan

Vehicle intermittently does not start. Turn the ignition key and hear the starter click, but does not engage starter and engine does not turn over. Sometimes, on next try (turn ignition switch to off position and then back to start position) will start. Sometimes after many tries it will start. Sometimes turn the key to on, place shifter in drive, then hard back into park and will start then. Have replaced battery, starter, relays, and made no difference. Codes do not come up and dealer has no idea of how to correct.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Aug 082014

Grand Caravan

When I stop the van, put it in park & shut it off, the key is stuck in the acc position and will not move to the off position. In order to get the key to release, I have to start the car multiple times, move the shift in & out of park, move the steering wheel and eventually I will hear a "clicking" noise and the key releases and will then move into the off position. I contacted Chrysler and asked if this could have anything to do with the current recall for the ignition switch and was told no. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

- Kent, OH, USA

Nov 032012

Grand Caravan

TL- the contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the key would remain stuck in the ignition switch and fail to power on or off the vehicle. In addition, when driving the steering wheel seized and the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the speedometer, the tripometer, the cruise control and the power doors failed. The power door locks only operated when the vehicle was powered off and the security door lock feature activated intermittently. The contact also stated that both the accelerator and brake pedal traveled to the floorboard as a result the vehicle delayed to come to a stop. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the control module, the transmission leak on the transmission line, the oil pan and the molding needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V373000 (electrical system) and NHTSA campaign id number: 11V394000 (air bags and equipment). The approximate failure mileage was unknown. Djr

- Edelstein, IL, USA