2.1

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 242016

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving approximately 40 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the pedal traveled to the floorboard. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated independently to 60 mph. The contact also stated that the brake pedal was depressed, which disengaged the accelerator pedal. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Tylersburg, PA, USA

Feb 282016

Grand Caravan

While driving the van shuts off and looses all power to include power brakes and steering. Also the traction control light comes on. The following has been completed to fix the problem without the problem being resolved: Replacement of battery and check of battery cables, recall complete of win module, replacement of O2 sensors and egr valve, and check of all fuses and wiring. After all of the aforementioned repairs the van still shuts off while driving. When the van shuts off the check engine light does not come on and there are no codes present for the mechanic to diagnose problem. This issue is an extreme safety issue and it appears there are numerous reports I have been able to locate on the internet. My wife will not drive the van not because of the problem. When the van shuts off you can place it in park and restart the van and continue to drive. The van has shut off on me while I have been driving it and there does not appear to be any indicator that it is going to shut down, ie stuttering or irregular operation. The speed that the issue has occurred ranges from 20 mph to 55 mph.

- Peru, NY, USA

Mar 072016

Grand Caravan

Vehicle automatically downshifts from drive to 2nd gear above 35 mph and from drive to 1st gear below 35 mph. Causing dangerous deceleration. This is not a once in a while situation but happens constantly. Once you start the car and shift from park to drive, it will shift down while stopped or as described above within ten seconds. Dangerous driving conditions. Chrysler says not covered by lifetime powertrain warranty and say it can be fixed at my expense. Unfortunately, it can happen anytime to anyone and should be a safety recall on all vehicles similarly equipped.

- Ftanconia, NH, USA

Nov 272015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. While in a parking lot, the vehicle accelerated independently. The contact had to depress the brake pedal to stop the vehicle. The contact felt the accelerator pedal moving. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Social Circle, GA, USA

Jun 032015

Grand Caravan

I was driving about 25 miles down the street, when the car suddenly shut off and jerked to a stop. The windshield wipers in the front and the back of the vehicle started moving without my turning them on. The horn started honking by itself. I was in the middle of the street and cars were driving past my vehicle extremely fast and I feared for the safety of my two children. I continued to try to start the car to get out of the way of the fast moving cars, but the vehicle would not restart for another 20 minutes. Once I was able to get the car out of the intersection, the horn would not stop honking and the windshield wipers kept going even though I did not have the key in the ignition. The doors kept locking and unlocking on its own and I was unable to get out of the car with my two children without assistance from my family members who arrived to assist me. The car has not been driven since this incident and remains parked.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Oct 172014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Driving down the freeway, cruise control shut off and every light on the dashboard lit up. After turning off the car for a while, things went back to normal. On a later date, I pulled into a parking lot turned off the ignition and removed the key--but the car was still running. The car finally turned off after four or five attempts to reinsert the key, turn back to run, back to off, etc., shifting from park to drive and back. Researching online, it appears that these issues are symptoms of a faulty tipm.

- Farmington, UT, USA

Aug 282013

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While driving the van at 65 mph while on rt.23 on my way to findlay, Ohio, the windshield wipers cycled a couple times, the gauges went to zero, the radio turned off and the warning alarm went off a couple times. This occured twice while I was driving to findlay and twice on my way back home. Each time, the van continued to run. At the time both hands were on the steering wheel. I know the date because I was headed to my son's soccer game at the university of findlay. It was a very un-nerving experience. On other dates the wipers have run by themselves and even sprayed windshield cleaner for a brief period. I have noticed that other people have reported the same behavior on their vans. I wanted to make sure my experience was noted. It appears the situation can become much worse.

- Granville, OH, USA

Dec 152014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Slowly driving through mcdonalds parking lot and van accelerated for a second. Pulled out into the street and did it again, this is the first time this has happened. Several times van would not start but electrical works. Wipers not turning off twice. Door locks won't lock or unlock. Worried that this small acceleration is another sign something is bad. Googled, reading tipm is faulty. This is our family van and only vehicle, we have a daughter with down syndrome and medical issues and now I'm scared to drive.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Sep 292014

Grand Caravan

I was driving eastbound on the 10 fwy, about 40mph and in the first lane because I had just got on freeway about 1 1/2 ago and while I was driving I felt the peddle lose power so I tried to accelerate by pushing a little harder and I felt the car gaining no speed only slowing down then I look at gauges and all gauges were non functional as if the car was off, it was then that I noticed I had no control in steering either the car was just completely died. As I coasted to a stop just a little between the first lane and emergency lane I was able to put the car into park, quickly, and turn the key back to the on position as then I also noticed the key was not in on position. Very scary and that's the whole reason I started to look into this matter and found out about this recall. I will provide VIN number upon request if needed. Feel free to contact me at the number provided below.

- West Covina , CA, USA

Jun 022014

Grand Caravan

The van dies while turning at slow speeds, typically in traffic. Van will easily restart after putting in park/neutral and cranking. Has happened 3 times in the past few months.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Jun 282014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Vehicle started accelerating unintentionally with engine going to high RPM. Driver was driving at 45 mph as vehicle randomly took off. Vehicle reached close to 85 mph with the brake pedal pressed to the floor. Driver avoided a near collision with another vehicle. Driver turned the ignition off in order to stop the vehicle. Vehicle had two people inside during the incident and two witnesses following the vehicle behind, in another car. Witnesses described seeing the Dodge Caravan take off suddenly beyond the legal speed limit, with smoke pouring out from the brakes and the brake lights on. Driver described that he felt the throttle pedal physically stuck and the vehicleż's RPM increasing, even while pressing and pumping on the brake pedal. After this incident and doing some research, we have found numerous complains online with similar situations. The Dodge Caravan, in this incident, does not have any aftermarket floor mats as Dodge claims to be the cause of unintentional acceleration in similar occurrences that have been reported to Dodge. The driver, passenger, and the witness are willing to make a statement, if necessary.

- Mundelein, IL, USA

May 152014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While driving at low speeds the vehicle loses power and shuts off resuling in loss of power steering making manuevering and controlling vehicle difficult. Mechanics unable to diagnose problem. Have driven and experienced problem but have no solution.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Mar 232014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving approximately 54 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated to 80 mph with the illumination of the electronic throttle and traction control warning lights. The contact attempted to stop the vehicle but the brake pedal could not be depressed. The contact was able to stop the vehicle and discovered that the accelerator pedal had become stuck. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 96,000.

- Edina, MN, USA

Feb 282014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

As I was driving on the interstate in atlanta, my vehicle ABS eps bas and esp light came on. At this time I was unable to use cruise control. Now it comes on intermittently and slows my vehicle down at odd times. I have taken it to the mechanic and they say they don't see anything wrong with it. I travel a lot and would hate for this to happen to me again especially with my children with me.

- Eastman, GA, USA

Oct 152012

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the horn, lights and windshield wipers would activate independently. Also, the contact mentioned that the power steering assist malfunctioned. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the portal integrated power module was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Battle Creek , MI, USA

Sep 072012

Grand Caravan

When we were going 50 mph the accelerator stuck down to the ground would not stop and we almost crashed in an intersection. We had to turn off the car to slow down. Something need to be done about this!

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Nov 152011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I was going 70 mph on a highway, with my two young children, and I came upon an area where I needed to reduce my speed to 60 mph. As I was putting my foot back over from the brake to the gas pedal my shoestring was suddenly caught on something. I could not move my foot so I quickly used my other foot to take my shoe off. Thankfully I was then able to use my bare foot to get in control of the pedals again. I stopped the van to see what happened and found that there is a clamp of some kind to the right of the gas pedal and my shoestring was caught in it. In my opinion this is a major safety issue because if I had been bumper to bumper in the city when this happened I would have likely rear ended someone. This was a very scary experience and something needs to be done to remove or replace this clamp on these vans.

- Ballinger, TX, USA

Mar 212010

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle began to accelerate. The contact had to apply the brakes with force and the vehicle failed to slow down or stop. The contact was only able to stop the vehicle when he shifted into neutral gear; however, the rpms continued to rapidly increase. The failure mileage was 16320. The current mileage was 16330.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 012009

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. He stated that when activating the cruise control between 25 mph - 55 mph, the engine revs up to 5,000 RPM's. the vehicle was taken to the dealer, and a technician replaced the thrust bearing. Immediately after the repair, the failure resurfaced. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer. The technician concluded that because they could not identify the cause of the failure, they could not provide a remedy. The failure mileage was 22,000. The current mileage was 24,000.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Dec 312008

Grand Caravan

While at a stoplight in small city traffic in connellsville, pa, on 31dec2008, I decided to see how my enterprise rental vehicle, a 2008 Dodge grandcaravan, would accelerate. Pulling away from the light, I floored the pedal and got up to about 45 mph, then let up. No reduction in acceleration occurred. I took my foot from the pedal and the engine continued to race. I was still gathering speed, so I pushed the brake pedal with lots of gusto. The vehicle's brakes then worked against the engine for perhaps a quarter mile. The vehicle speed was reduced to about 20 mph, but when I did a test lift off the brake pedal, the vehicle once again started to accelerate. Back on the brake, I swerved into a large, empty parking lot. I tried neutral and the engine then took off wildly, so I switched off the ignition. Pausing a few seconds, I restarted the vehicle and found everything back to normal, except that the esp warning light that had come on with my intense braking was still on. I drove a few minutes and the light went off. I then returned the vehicle to the enterprise Agency, where I shared my experience with the manager.

- Cranberry Lake, NY, USA