8.0

$4,900.00

1. dealer had to replace the transmission (3 reports)
2008 Dodge Grand Caravan transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments

Apr 012011

Grand Caravan SXT 4.0L

transmission went out at 40,000 miles under normal use. I was backing out of my garage and it just shredded something. Chrysler's warranty ends at 36,000 miles and I didn't have the power train warranty since I bought it used with 8,000 miles on it. The dealer said its a common problem and they paid half of the bill, my part was $1800. that's not a common expense on a 40,000 mile vehicle. the brakes and rotors have to be replaced every 20,000 miles, that's unlike any other vehicle I've owned. now the front wheel bearings are out at 55,000 miles. POS don't buy one!

- , Powell, TN, USA

Jul 152009

Grand Caravan

I decided it was time to move to a minivan - now that I had more than one child - I for some reason settled on the Dodge Caravan. I can tell you that I will NEVER buy one again - not only does the car stink and all the problems, but the dealership is just completely rude. Like it's my fault that your crappy car keeps breaking down. 1st it was the transmission went - after buying it with 19,000 miles on it - it goes at 22,000. Great!!!! Then at 29,000 I had to put all new breaks on it - even better! But now - I take the car in to get an inspection and come home to my air conditioning unit not working! Seriously - I hadn't had so many things wrong with a car in the 4 other cars that I owned!. Please take the Van back - Just waiting to see what's next and the van only has 37,000 now.

- , Webster, NY, USA

Sep 082009

Grand Caravan SXT Gas

My 2008 fully loaded dodge caravan began rolling backward while in park (yes you read that correctly in PARK) on a level driveway. I did not have the emergency brake on at the time; I was unloading my children from the car and the motor was running. Luckily my children were safe and out of harms way. Once I closed the side sliding door I still had the drivers door open and leaned inward to turn off the motor; when slowly but surely the vehicle began rolling backward...! Then as the driveway sloped downward, the car gained momentum and back fiercely into a tree, causing $8,000 worth of damage (which insurance has covered.) What the hell? I tried in vain to push the (drivers floor located) emergency brake; but failed during the momentum of speed the car began to take- had a mind of its own it seemed at the time. What is wrong with this car? Currently having it evaluated for transmission defects. That is seriously dangerous, we could have EASILY had damage to either people or other vehicles in the process; luckily we reside in a cul de sac and this was not the case. All the same: I must warn other 08 Dodge Caravan owners about my experience. I will ALWAYS use my emergency brake even on level ground - and will NEVER park on any type of incline from now on as a result.

- , S Salem, NY, USA

Sep 022008

Grand Caravan V6

I don't know if this is starting to become a major problem for this van, but had to wait over a week because the transmission was on back order.

- , Rockingham, NC, USA