2011 Dodge Grand Caravan fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 192015

Grand Caravan

My car was not on and was stationary, in my drive way. I went to start my car to move it and it wouldn't start. I did some checking on the internet and found that the tipm was having issues. I made a bypass from the passenger outlet to the fuel pump relay to get power. This is a temporary fix but it has worked so far. I have added a picture of my bypass for documentation.

- Peabody, KS, USA

Sep 232016

Grand Caravan

My 2011 Caravan has 68K miles on it. For the past few months, it will intermittently have problems starting. Everything seems fine until you turn it to crank and then it just makes a click noise. It will do this anywhere from 2 to 20 times until it finally cranks. It will be fine for days and then suddenly... no start. I've left it at my mechanic for one week last month and one week this month. They replaced the battery, but no avail. They have seen it in action (actually came to me because they are totally stumped too), but cannot replicate it. So I'm out $800 in car rental fees and no one can figure out why the thing is acting like it is. I'm worried I'm going to be stranded with a hand full of kids and a car that won't start. I don't like feeling like I can't trust my car. Dodge has been unhelpful as well, although I'm giving the dealership a shot at this problem again and taking it there. Another week of rental car fees - yay! from reading online and a quick youtube search, it appears I'm not alone with this problem. I just want it fixed, whatever the problem is.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 152016

Grand Caravan

Car (2011 Grand Caravan) would crank but not start. I had it towed to safford Dodge in springfield, Virginia. They diagnosed the problem as a bad fuel pump. I paid $950 for a tow and a new fuel pump. As soon as I drove the vehicle home, it was doing the exact same thing (crank but not start). Eventually, it started but, later in the day, it would not start at all. I contacted the dealer and made arrangements for it to be towed in again. Eventually, the service guy calls back and says they are having trouble pinpointing the problem. Before this point I had researched the problem and discovered the multiple issues with the tipm module. The next morning he calls my wife and tells her that we need a new tipm module and it's going to cost $1200 to replace it. She told him that we would pay for the tipm module provided they deducted the cost of the new fuel pump which we believe was replaced in error. Service guy was adamant that fuel pump was bad and that it had to be replaced. He said they had isolated the pump and confirmed that it had power coming to it before diagnosing that it needed to be replaced. This may be true but I have zero faith that this guy was telling me the truth. I have read several reports on the internet where people had their fuel pump replaced in error. I eventually went to the service manager. He was also insistent that the fuel pump failed simultaneously with the tipm module. I also asked him if they had replaced multiple tipm modules and he acted as if this was a very rare repair; however, when he insinuated that my fuel pump and tipm had failed simultaneously, he acted as if he had seen this several times?! my central concern is that there have been several reports of the tipm module failing abruptly at highway speed.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Sep 112016

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. While attempting to start the engine, the fuel system failed to engage and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed a failure code for the fuel pump. The vehicle was repaired and the fuel pump assembly was replaced. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V530000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Antrim, NH, USA

Sep 092016

Grand Caravan

Vehicle began having issues starting, intermittently at first, about 3-4 weeks ago. 4 days ago, vehicles battery was dead, wouldn't start for several attempts. Stalled twice while driving 60 mph continued to not start, battery, alternator, starter, wiring all checked out okay with local repair shop. The fuel pump relay in the tpim (total integrated power module) was bad, required whole tpim to be replaced.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Aug 262016

Grand Caravan

Would not start on several occasions. Purchased new battery. Took it to local mechanic. Almost put in a new starter but researched it first on the internet. Seemed like it was a faulty tipm. Called local Chrysler dealer and told them the issues. After a week, they said I needed a new tipm ($1200) and would not cover the cost. Said that they did not know anything about a tipm recall. I did not get it replaced. Called Chrysler customer care and they said that I did not qualify for a recall. I have driven Chrysler Dodge Caravan for over 25 years and I am greatly disappointed that they are not standing behind their product. They know that there is an issue with all the tipms in their vehicles and they only recalled certain makes and models. Meanwhile, I hold my breath every time I try to start my car. I am retired and cannot afford to replace that part for that price. I had this car as a company car starting in January of 2011 and purchased it from ari in July of 2014.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Sep 022016

Grand Caravan

Was driving and van shut down with no power steering it was difficult to coast off highway almost got hit by another car. When I did it would not start again right away but eventually after several attemps it cranked up. This has happend multiple times and I have young kids to have to be taken to school in it. Thx Dodge

- Ocala, FL, USA

Aug 262016

Grand Caravan

For the past year or so we have had check engine light on and off and have had it checked at Dodge dealerships and private mechanics. The code they kept coming up was a general code of "misfire" so Dodge convinced us to get the spark plugs fixed and to do fuel cleaner to our fuel tank because it was "probably that". after the fixes were made as a result of what Dodge told us to do, the same problems continued to occur. After several more times of the van "sputtering" down the road in both city and highway driving feeling like it was about to stall out which could have caused injury to my family or myself, it got to the point it would not even start. We took it to get fixed yet again thinking it was the fuel pump to find out it was the tipm. This is a part that is known to go wrong in Dodge vans yet there is no recall on it or any fix for it. I Transport my three kids in this vehicle that we still owe money on to find out one of its main components is faulty and there is no fix so it is over a grand out of our pockets (and several 100 other people) to get this part fixed. Not to mention the fact that our car is rendered useless until this is done. Dodge needs to be held accountable for this part that is faulty in 2011 grand carvans. Families don't need to be seriously hurt or even killed because this little part stops working mid drive (which happened to us but we were pulling out of the driveway with no one around). Please hold them accountable. If you can't then make someone else! it is not fair to the consumer who put their trust in Dodge! this has been a year and a half of constant issues that have come out of our wallets while the car maker sits pretty.

- New Cumberland, PA, USA

Mar 012016

Grand Caravan

Car shuts off suddenly up (stall while driving on the highway), lost all power, brake and steering wheel are affected make impossible to drive safely the vehicle. This causes problems to safely put you out off the road. Also, we have problems to turn on the vehicle in the mornings, and consumes up to the death a new battery car in months (less than a year). As per the Dodge dealer this problems is caused due a faulty tipm and a bad fuel gas pump. Replace both will cost around $2,000 usd. Looking over the web this security threat it is a common issue for Dodge Grand Caravan 2011-2012. Grand Cherokee and durango for the same years have recalls for this situation, but not the Grand Caravan. This is a security issue documented for the Cherokee and the durango that should apply to the Grand Caravan as it is the same problem. I hope that your Agency will be able to intervene with this serious problem.

- San Lorenzo, PR, USA

Jan 202016

Grand Caravan

Power to the fuel pump. I have noticed that sometimes the vehicle will not start after the first try. Some times I have to turn the key to off then to run three times and then go to start. At that point the vehicle will start. I sometimes can't hear the fuel pump turn on when I go to start the car. I just keep turning the key off and on until I can hear the pump run. It always starts after I can hear the pump turn on. Another problem is every once in a while I will just hear a cling when going to start the vehicle but the starter doesn't turn over just cling. That has happened twice. I got the battery checked out by aaa the battery was just working great.

- Chatsworth, CA, USA

Jan 112016

Grand Caravan

In the year that I have owned my van, it has exhibited multiple problems, that I thought were different issue, but I now find are all related to a defect in the tipm. Sporadically, whether vehicle was cold, or not, I would put the key in to start it and nothing would happen. No sound, as if the battery was completely dead. I could shift the car out of park, put it back in park, and the car would start. The next symptom that exhibited was that I would try to start the car and it would turn over, but sound as if it was out of gas. It would eventually start. Finally it got to the point that it wouldn't start at all. Testing showed that the battery was dead. It was recharged and the vehicle driven and tested to determine that the battery was holding a charge, and that the alternator was not the issue. Through different testing it was determined that the issue with tipm. The fact that I am going to be tasked with a $1500 repair on a car that I still owe $14,000 on is ridicuous. Called the dealership to see if there was any chance that they might be acknowledging this issue and fix it. The asst. Manager stopped just short of laughing at me. If this is where your are at check out

- Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Feb 032016

Grand Caravan

Just purchased the van used, have a loan on it and now apparently there is a $1,000-$1300 repair that needs to be done because Dodge fails to admit any wrong-doing. This is of serious safety concern. When I was finally able to get my van started, I went to put it in reverse and it wouldn't move. Turns out it had died on me. As with many other people, the tipm is to blame. The van can die at any point because of the loss of power to the fuel pump, if there is no fuel getting to the engine, then there is no power steering, and no power brakes. How is it that there are other models with the same issue that got recalled, but not the Grand Caravan?!

- Grantsville, UT, USA

Jan 052016

Grand Caravan

Vehicle does not start easily and at times experiences total power loss I've changed every fuse and relay as well as fuel pump and any other module or relay that can be replaced and much to my dispare the problems are still there to the point I don't feel safe driving with or without my whole family when it finally does decide to start it runs great but then you have to worry about the complete power loss issue which renders my brakes power steering and stability control completely useless! I don't know what else to do I'm stuck paying my finance company for a vehicle I can't drive and basically serves as little more than a pretty yard ornament we just got this vehicle in November 2015 the first sign of an issue was less than a week after purchase after little more than a month after driving off the lot and the third time losing power while driving the final time being on 275 in cincinnati 1/5/16 I decided that it's probably best to park the vehicle and not put our family in jeopardy especially during the cold cincinnati winter until we can figure it out or afford both the car payment and the trip to the ridiculously expensive Dodge dealership to pay for their technicians figure it out and then pay again to have it repaired

- New Richmond, OH, USA

Nov 122015

Grand Caravan

Vehicle not starting after several attempts or stalling at speed. Tipm tested and found to have a faulty fuel relay. This is the same exact part involved in the recall of other models in the same year by Dodge.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Jul 082015

Grand Caravan

My Grand Caravan has issues starting, it just cranks and does not start. I had a Dodge mechanic check it out and he found it had the common issue of a bad fuel pump relay in the tipm. This same issue exists in the durango of the same year and it has a recal, why tfk aren't the Caravan included. It's the same fix installing an external relay bypassing the one on the tipm.

- North Lauderdale, FL, USA

Nov 072015

Grand Caravan

The vehicle was hard to start and often would not start, faulty tipm.

- Sebring, FL, USA

Nov 152015

Grand Caravan

After months of vehicle sometimes starting, sometimes not, it finally would not start. Would crank but not turn over, the week prior to this, press on gas pedal and nothing happened (while driving) - very dangerous. Diagnosis = new fuel pump. Car is 4 years old with less than 60,000 miles.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Oct 272015

Grand Caravan

First I was told it was the battery then it was the alternator then it was the key fob. After all these repairs the Dodge dealership says now it's the timp module. This van only has 65000 miles. I have seen hundreds of complaints about the very same issues for customers with the same type vehicles. I have also seen the lawsuit and recall for defective timp from 2013 and 2014. My vehicle is one that was listed as an addendum lawsuit that may be affected by this module. This vehicle was purchased in Florida in 2012.

- Thomasville, GA, USA

Jan 022015

Grand Caravan

Fuel pump wouldn't disengage causing me to keep taking out fuse which burned my thumbs. Won't start at all now. Shut off two times while driving on street almost causing accidents both times

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Sep 172015

Grand Caravan

fuel pump does not turn off *trouble starting car and some days just will not start at all engine stalls while driving; twice on the freeway luckily no accident. Horn randomly will go off. * said the key was in the ignition when it wasn't

- Los Angeles, CA, USA