5.3

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 8 of 8)

Nov 062014

Grand Caravan

While driving along the highway at night, I turned off the high beams because of an approaching car. The multifunction switch instantly failed; I was unable to activate the high beams again, my directional signals did not work and the windshield wipers began to wipe incessantly. I consider this to be a safety-related defect, because I could not signal my intentions to other drivers, nor could I use the high beams to improve visibility. On a two-year-old van with only 89,000 miles, this failure seems premature.

- Walterboro, SC, USA

Jun 302014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V234000 (electrical system); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Toms River , NJ, USA

Jun 022014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V234000 (electrical) and stated that the part was not available for months. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer was also contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the contacts vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Sep 072012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The vehicle will shutdown randomly with no indication as to why and/or will not start randomly due to antitheft being activated. The check engine light is not activated upon vehicle shutdown or failure to start. When the engine shuts off while driving the tachometer will reap about 900 RPM and the only indicator on the dash is a yellow traction control illumination on the dash. There is no check engine light, low oil pressure indication, or low battery indication. After a period of time from a few minutes to several hours the vehicle will restart and run normally. The vehicle may run normally for a few seconds to months at a time until the problem reappears. The problem can occur anytime while driving the vehicle including driving on the highway, intersections, parking lots, and expressways. When the vehicle stops running, the steering and braking become very difficult to operate.

- Bloomer, WI, USA

Jun 152014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V234000 (electrical system) however, the part needed to remedy the recall was unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experience a failure.

- Hotspring, AR, USA

Jul 292014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

This morning the first thing I noticed was that the cruise control would not work. This afternoon, I went to a local hardware store, purchased some items then went to my van. When opening the driver door, the driver side air bag deployed from the steering wheel. There is no sign of any damage to the outside of the car. I did notice that when I started the van the windshield wipers began but I could not stop them. When the wrecker came and the car was started, the wipers did not come on by them selves again glad that this did not happen when the car was moving..

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Jun 252014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

All lights on the dashboard came on and the vehicle starting dinging. I pulled over, shut it off, saw no visible problems, tried to restart, & the vehicle would not respond to the fob. Had it towed, where they replaced the clock spring. Had the vehicle for 6 days when it did the same thing. I am now told that they have to replace the tipm module. This part is on backorder across the us. Everything I've read says it will be 3 mths or longer before the part is available. Chrysler is aware of the problem & a class action lawsuit has been filed. I am in a power wheelchair, and my van has been equipped with a wheelchair ramp, kneeling system, driver's transfer seat, and low effort steering. I now have to leave my van at the dealer until it is fixed because it's not safe to drive. The dealer provides a loaner but I am unable to Transport my power wheelchair. It weighs 360 lbs so it cannot be lifted into a vehicle. I work full time, and rely on my wheelchair to give me the stamina to make it through the day. This tipm module failure is now completely interfering with my life. I will have to make extra plans to get groceries, and to get to and from work. Chrysler needs to do something and admit their part is faulty, get them out to people who need them, and cover the cost. Once the tipm module is installed, the dealer will charge me another $550.

- North Liberty, IA, USA

Jun 262014

Grand Caravan

One night I was driving with my 4 young children in the van on a back road to go home. All of a sudden all of my dash lights came on, my radio shut off and my headlights went out. That last about 25 secs. Then my van stalled. I was scared to have them in the van with me on a back road with no headlights first then a stalled van. I was able to pull off to the side, waited 10 mins and started it back up again. The next day I had the van running in park it stalled. I started it back up ok, until I put it in reverse. It stalled again after all the dash lights came on then back off. I started back up and it seemed ok. I stopped at a red lights, same thing happened. It stalled after all dash lights went on and off and radio shut down. I have had this van since 3/23/14 and it started 6/25/14. I called the dealer ship and explained the problem to them. They said that since it was 3 days passed the warranty it will be my responsibility. I was like really. I don't know what to do know. I just got the vehicle 93 days ago so only made 3 payments and now have to probably do expensive work on it. The Dodge dealer was not helpful and rude about it. So now I have this vehicle I still have to pay on for 6 years and after only 3 months of owning I have major issues and a very big safety issue because I have kids in the van.

- Easthampton, MA, USA

Mar 272014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

No acceleration when gas pedal pushed, rpms raced but not able to proceed. Warning light indicating electronic throttle problem. Pulled off the highway, turned off the ignition, sat for 5 minutes. Restarted the vehicle and drove immediately to the dealership. Told them to call me when it was corrected. Fortunately, I had purchased the extended warranty on this minivan due to having huge transmission problems with a 2002 Honda Odyssey. The service manager said the technician who tore the electronic throttle apart found fiber in it. The radio was also not working but they said that there was a wire that came loose. Radio now working as well as the electronic throttle. No charge because I purchased the extended warranty. Upon reading other electronic throttle problems at this site I felt compelled to jot down my experience.

- Wiconisco, PA, USA

Jan 032014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

At 11:30 pm the car engine started (the keys were in the house),horn was blowing, head lights were on, wipers going at full speed four way flasher going there was a red glow under the car and smoke was billowing from under the car and the doors were locked. We were able to get a key from the fob and unlock the doors, and unlatch the hood so we could open the hood. All the wires, alternator, fuse box and battery were cherry red. Using some clippers we were able to cut the battery cable and every thing stopped we cooled things down with some snow.all this only 3 ft. From our house Dodge estimated about $1800 to fix what could be seen and most likely more would show up later. This is the third time we have had problems with the electrical on this car. My wife and I are both disabled and I need a van to carry my wheel chair when I go to the doctor, etc.we don't have the money to fix the car and still make payments I have contacted Dodge and our insurance company, but they say it is our problem. I hope you might be able to help us out.

- Locke, NY, USA

Mar 212014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I was driving from one destination to the other and when I got to my other destination I smelled smoke. I looked down and notice the cigarette port which was empty was smoking, I pulled my gerber out and pulled the port out and there was a fire. I alerted a co worker and they got a fire extinguisher. We managed to put the fire out. But console is completely gone. This all happened within 15 minutes.

- Fort Hood , TX, USA