Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: I hope I can stop you from buying this vehicle before you find out that it won't be able to stop you.

2010 Dodge Journey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 10 of 17)

Feb 012015

About 3 months ago my horn started just randomly honking. It didn't matter if it was parked or running. Seems to happen more while parked and in the middle of the night. Now the locks don't want to unlock when I press button on remote or car just unlocks itself. I can go outside holding keys in hand without pressing anything car will unlock or lock. Several incidents so far of windows just randomly rolling down. The honking thing scares me the most especially while in traffic jams when people have road rage! I've gotten plenty of middle fingers because of this possessed car. I've also had the car just shut off at a stop light. It did how ever start immediately. Thanks Dodge for taking my money, disregarding my families safety and giving me a pos!

- Bastrop, TX, USA

May 092015

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start until after numerous attempts. A certified mechanic was unable to generate a trouble code. The vehicle was not repaired. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 93,478. The VIN was unavailable.

- Gallipolis, OH, USA

Feb 012011

I bought my car December of 2010 and since owning it has been nothing but issues. I did have some things fixed right after purchase and others they said they saw no issue. My vehicle keeps loosing coolant and was overheating which not burnt my reservoir, my car doesn't always start which has happened since I purchased, door lock doesn't work on driver door, and horn was sounding while driving and alarm was constantly going off until I removed fuse, and fuse box always has a clicking noise. I am not the only one with issues with this vehicle I have seen manau with similar issues and they are all extremely dangerous especially with children in the car. Also my car made a terrible growling noise and I had transmission replaced. Please help get these investigated it's terrible. Never again will I purchase a Dodge or advise anyone to do so. Would be a great car if it didn't always have these issues. Just want problems addressed for all owners so they can enjoy a car they bought with their families.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Apr 092015

High speed on blower does not work anymore. This can affect visibility if defogger can't keep up on lower settings. Issue traced to melted control board, suggesting the possibility of a thermal event.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Mar 242015

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. While driving at approximately 25 mph, there was a sudden loss of power causing the vehicle to fail to accelerate. The failure recurred on two other occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,395.

- Edmonton, KY, USA

Sep 062014

Journey 6-cyl

Purchased a pre-owned 2010 Dodge Journey last August. Having intermittent issues with it starting properly. Around November of 2014 the door locks (other than the driver's side door alone) stopped working correctly. The doors would lock every time, but would intermittently fail to unlock anything except for the driver's side. Took it to the dealer (as I have a 2 month old that would prefer not to be trapped in a car I can't unlock) and they diagnosed it back to the tipm. It costs $1000 to replace, and as I said I have a 2 month old and don't have the financial means to repair a part that should never have been an issue to begin with.

- Harrison, TN, USA

Apr 012015

Journey 4-cyl

Since purchase horn beeps intermittently when doors are opened and shut. Dealer could never find issue. Windows would not go up in front but corrected self. Now battery dies and no dealer can find the reason. Put in brand new battery and lasted a week until doing it again. Dash lights dim to almost dark when wipers are turned on. Sometimes dash lights stay on when door closed and must stay until delay to be sure they are all off. Very annoying. There are many aspects that we liked with the Journey but this is a real problem.

- Watertown, WI, USA

Apr 032015

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. While driving at 50 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Hammond , LA, USA

Jun 152012

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle failed to start intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the win module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 11V139000 (electrical system) and 14V373000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 128,000.

- Sanger, CA, USA

Feb 012015

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and the steering wheel started to shake excessively. The contact mentioned that the ESC and traction control lights illuminated on the instrument panel. Also, the contact mentioned that the shift lever became stuck in the park position. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- Bottleground, WA, USA

Oct 202014

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. While driving at 35 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that the horn independently activated. The vehicle failed to start and the doors locked independently. As a result, the contact was unable to exit the vehicle. The contact had to use the emergency key to exit the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 114,000.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Oct 102014

Journey 4-cyl

After driving approximately 10 - 20 miles, I shut the vehicle off and when I went back to start it about 1 hour later, it would not start. There was a click and nothing. After several attempts and maybe 5 minutes later, the vehicle started. I had no further issues until March 17, 2015 when I went to start my vehicle and again nothing happened. Thinking it was a battery, I had it checked out and was told at that time that there was a recall on 2010 Journey ignition switches. The recall states that it is on vehicles that were built prior to June 2010. Even though my vehicle was built in May 2010, it is not included in the recall. I don't think I should have to pay $700 out of pocket to fix an obvious defective part. Please, I would like to know why my vehicle was not included in the recall.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Jun 102013

In June of 2013 my car alarm started to come on randomly. First while car was in parked position. Days after it then started sounding while driving, leaving my then 6 year olds hysterical. It was happening so much that we took out the fuses. In Nov 2014, while entering the interstate exit my car shut off going 35mph around a deep curve. I lost all control of steering and acceleration, brakes locked up. I was able to force steer to shoulder and turn car off and back on. It ran ok until a couple weeks later it did it again. Coming home off interstate w/ kids in car, car shut off while going 40 mph in mid curve! now beginning Feb 2015, my battery goes dead repeatedly. I've had to have it jumped off almost every morning for last month. I took it to auto store and battery tested good. March 2015, battery going dead again. I've had accredited mechanic look at it who tested everything along w/ relays. He stated battery was good but basically alarm, although it's not heard, its still waking up and drain battery. He couldn't go beyond this point to fix because he believed it's something in computer system? I took to dealer and after I explained everything to them & been without a car for week, they insisted it battery was bad. So we have replaced battery, yet they did not address random alarm/horn. So I took back same day to address this issue B/C it will continue. They now are suggesting to replace horn switch of which after looking at other consumers I don't think will fix the problem. There is something in the cars computer triggering the alarm but for some reason they refuse to check that. I'm not sure if it's just because they can't get as much money from resetting computer or not. I know I don't have money to throw away on trail & error. With all the complaints on this I can't figure out how the dealers/company Chrysler Dodge Jeep doesn't have a solution.

- Macon, GA, USA

Dec 182014

Journey 4-cyl

I went to the store got what I needed came out and the Journey would not start. I had it towed to the Dodge dealership and they told me the tipm was bad.they replaced it and has been working so far. It cost $900 dollars to fix with only 37424 miles on it.the other problem was the brakes all had to be replaced with just over 20000 miles on the car. The dealership covered the front brakes but with a deductible of $100 dollars but I had to pay for the back brakes.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Feb 242015

Journey 6-cyl

Engine stalled while driving causing loss of power steering & power brakes. Diagnosis revealed that engine would stall if key was moved slightly. Could have caused a serious accident. Superstition springs Chrysler replaced the win module at a cost of $492.46. How many people have to die or be injured before the manufacturer accepts responsibility, initiates a recall and takes care of the problem at no cost to the vehicle owner?? I believe that Chrysler Corp should reimburse me for the cost of this repair.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Mar 102015

Journey 6-cyl

While driving into work this morning my horn began to go off on its on and randomly. Nothing I did would stop the horn from going off. I called both my dealer and Chrysler directly neither said they have heard of any issues regarding this. Some of the warning lights on my dash also came up and then went off. This seems to be a safety issue and I am concerned.

- Batavia, OH, USA

Jan 152015

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. While driving at various speeds, all of the warning indicators on the instrument panel illuminated continuously. The headlights flashed on and off and the doors and windows locked. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system). The failure mileage was approximately 125,000.

- Summerville, GA, USA

Oct 052012

Journey 4-cyl

Driving vehicle locally, making several stops. The last stop, when I return to car about 8:00pm with my children, car wouldn't start. Attempted to get it jumped off and that didn't work. About 10:00P it started. I stopped by the gas station to fill up, cut it off, and it wouldn't start again. I contacted aaa, when they finally arrived about 45 min later, it started. This occurred around October 2012 it occurred again around April 2013, again May 2013, again January 2014, March 2014, December 2014, and March 2015.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Mar 022011

A couple months after purchasing my vehicle, it stopped in the middle of the street. This happened periodically over a course of three year.. last week, my car stopped in the middle of the street, almost killing my children and I. when I reported this to Dodge, I was told that it had been recalled for an ignition issue (I was not aware of) and it had been repaired before I purchased it. The recall issue was causing the the same type of issues that I was having. Now my car wont start and lo and behold, im being told its my ignition, yet im being told that its not Dodge problem. We almost died and Dodge could care less.

- Inkster, MI, USA

Jul 102014

Journey 6-cyl

Purchased vehicle Dec 2012, May 2013 horn on vehicle goes off in middle of night, turn car on and then off and horn stops. May 2013 driving down road and horn starts going off. Take car to stanely dealership May 29 2014 and they can not find anything wrong with horn. Horn continues to go off, take fuse out of fuse box. July 2014 battery was dead, replaced battery July 2014. 2-3 wks later battery was dead again. Took to dealership in gatesville tx and they stated the could not find why battery was drained. Took battery back to vendor and was replaced. 2 months later battery dead again, took car to dealership and they recharged battery free of charge. Dec 12 2014 driving car at 6:20 am 1 block from house car turns off going 30 miles per hour. Had to come to complete stop put in park and car restarted. Dec 16 2014 battery is dead, go and buy new battery at walmart. Dec 20 2014 daughter borrows car and claims the car shut off on her on the hwy in town going 40 miles per hour. Jan 20 2014 afternoon after pick up son from school, driving 30 miles per hour and car shuts off while driving. Take car into dealership Jan 24 2014, mechanic claims Monday morning car battery is dead. Told mechanic everything going wrong with vehicle, they can not find why the battery is draining also stated the horn switch needs to be replaced. They reboot tipm and the wcm. Pick up car 1/27/2015 take battery back to wal-mart 1/28/2015 and replace and install. Feb 9 2015 pull out of drive way and get about 100 feet and car shuts off, restart and proceed. That afternoon car shuts off on the way home from work while driving 15-20 miles per hour on street. Return car to dealership they still can't find what is wrong with vehicle battery dead, they recharge battery. Feb 23 2015 battery dead. Taking to a different mechanic Feb 28th.

- Copperas Cove, TX, USA