CarComplaints.com Notes: This is a classic example of why you should avoid the first model year of a new car. Sure, it's new and shiny but there's going to be some growing pains.

The 2005 Magnum has problems with the gear shifter getting stuck, a shaky and sometimes stalled engine and transmission failure at 75,000 miles.

Let someone else deal with those headaches.

2.1

2005 Dodge Magnum electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Magnum:

2005 Dodge Magnum Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 142011

Magnum 6-cyl

My 2005 Dodge Magnum accelerator pedal (P/N 04726004ab) fell off during a drive at highway speeds. I reached down to the floor to then operate the vehicle's fuel control by squeezing the pedal in my hand until I could safely park the vehicle. Upon closer inspection, the plastic mounting structure on the pedal assembly appears to have fatigue cracked at all three mounting locations resulting in this bazaar incident. The design appears to have high stress concentrations owing to its hard corners in the molded mounting part features.

- Chassell, MI, USA

Jun 132011

Magnum

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Magnum. While driving approximately 5 mph, the contact noticed smoke escaping from the instrument panel. The contact parked and exited the vehicle as the interior began to fill with black smoke. The fire and police department were called and a report was filed. The manufacturer was contacted and stated that the vehicle would have to be towed to the dealer for investigation. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 04V334000 (electrical system:battery:cables) which could possibly have ben related to the failure but the manufacturer advised that the VIN was not included in the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 123,000.

- Lawrence Harbor, NJ, USA

Feb 012011

Magnum 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Magnum. The contract stated that when driving at any speed, the electrical power and power steering would fail intermittently. The dealer was notified of the failure and the contact was awaiting a response. The manufacturer was also contacted but provided no further assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The current mileage was 106,000 and the failure mileage was 100,500. Updated 05/25/11 the consumer stated the vehicle would sometimes surge just prior to losing power. Updated 11/18/11

- Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Jan 312011

Magnum

The 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T that I purchased Sunday January 30th 2011 has an issue. The very next day at 5:00am I became stranded on the side of the road. The esp bas and the check engine light illuminated and the brakes began grinding. I had an employee from chevron help me push it into the service station to be told there was not a drop of oil in it. I purchased oil and had the vehicle towed in. After missing a whole day of work and sitting in the service office I was told the bolt in the brake caliper had become loose. It was fixed and I left satisfied. I did not attempt to drive it again until the next morning and on my way to work (again at 5:00am) the car began jerking and the esp bas and check engine light illuminated. The car starts jerking and will not accelerate at low and high speeds. The car seems to start jerking almost immediately as soon as the seat warmers or the stereo is turned on, but still jerks when nothing is turned on too. Once the jerking starts the car will stall once it has come to a complete stop I.e. at a light or stop sign. It takes several cranks at the ignition to get it back on. This has happened every day since the car was purchased. My car has sat in my driveway since Tuesday February 1st. Today is Friday February 4th. The car is scheduled to be towed back in to dealership Monday February 7th.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Nov 252010

Magnum 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum and the first problem was the tachometer just stopped working, the second problem within 3 months time the engine light came on I took it to get the necessary maintenance the light went off for about one week then popped back on within two days off that now its stalling and shutting off wherever it wants.

- Springfield Gardens, NY, USA

Oct 032009

Magnum

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Magnum. The contact stated that the ECU unit failed which caused all of the warning lights to illuminate on the instrument panel. The engine also shut off and would not restart. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The ECU unit was replaced. The mechanic test drove the vehicle and stated that it was operating normally. The contact was driving when the throttle opened which made it difficult for the contact to engage the brake pedal to stop the vehicle. He was forced to engage the emergency brake, force the vehicle in park in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, inspected, and the dealer advised the contact that the repair would cost $2300. The vehicle was being repaired; however, the contact refused to drive it. The failure mileage was 76,000. The consumer stated he didn't file a complaint about anything. Updated 01/21/10

- Redding , CA, USA

Jan 152009

Magnum

I own the 2005 Dodge Magnum. Ion January 15, 2005 at approximately 5:20 P.M I was driving at a rate of 35 mph. I was about to come to a stoplight when I applied the brakes. The car did not respond and it accelerated in speed. I tried to apply emergency brakes but it sounded as if it was dragging tires.. I had to swerve in order not to hit the car in front of me. I immediately pulled over to the side of the road where I put my car in park, it then idled all the way up to the 5 mark. It steadily idled at this rate for about 5 minutes. I did not think it was going to stop so I shut the engine ff. I was very scared at that point and did not know I should continue to drive it. It felt like someone else took over my car. It was a very frightening incident. If I hadn't taken advanced drivers course I wouldn't have known what to do and could have seriously injured someone.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Nov 132006

Magnum 6-cyl

2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5 V6.all instrument panel gauges fail, no tac, no speedometer. No heat or defrost, emergency signal light will flash. Happens very often even on start up.turning key off will reset computers. Similar to Chrysler due Feb 2007 re: Glitch in brake electronics.

- Greely,On, Can K4p1c8, 00, USA

Dec 142005

Magnum 6-cyl

Recently bought a 05 dodger Magnum on Dec. 13, 2005 and have been back Dec. 14,22,23,26 for alignment my key transmitters gave out the rear window stopped operating at these times the car was serviced and problems still occur. Have been back to the shop Jan. 17 and a few more times since then for the same reasons only now my key still won't work but won't go in keyhole either the air bag light comes on while driving. It is in the shop now and has been there since Saturday I cannot continue to pay for a car that me and my children are not safe in. I have called the 1800 # for Dodge and am waiting for a response I am also making a complaint with the Texas attorney general and also the txdot motor vehicle board since the BBB didn't want anything to do with this complaint. These problems are recurring problems that the dealership will not acknowledge I have tried to give them a written complaint but they would not accept it as to there attorney did not write it I am not an attorney just a consumer why wouldn't they accept my letter I have it here along with all work orders and still no help. The letter was written on Dec. 26 and was supposed to be taken when the car was put in the shop so they can see I am not going to be pushed over to the side and that's what has happened the car salesman lied from day one come to find out after I made the complaint with BBB he was terminated for "drug use". great now we are buying cars from liars and the mangers of this car lot wont acknowledge me or my problem he sends a car salesman to me I don't want to discuss the problem with a salesman I want an owner a manager or even the manufacturer but no they hide. Thank you for letting me complain on this website maybe it will help others to not get a Magnum they are dangerous and Dodge doesn't care at our expense.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Feb 072005

Magnum 8-cyl

My gauge lights and headlights flash and flicker every time they are turned on. The dealer where I purchased the car has said they would look at the car, and also bring in the regional service rep. After looking at the car, they (the dealership) agreed that there was an issue but no solution to the problem. I filed a complaint with the state, and used the lemon law asking for either a new car or a replacement. My requests directly to Dodge and using the state have been denied. The car is unsafe to drive at night, and I am stuck with a car that will not be fixed.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Nov 012005

Magnum 6-cyl

On four occasions, while driving my 2005 Dodge Magnum, the electronic system has shut down and the blinker, headlights, windshield wipers, power windows, air-conditioning, mileage indicator, time clock etc. Stop working. During three of the events, power steering and braking abilities were lost causing dangerous driving situations where the car cannot be controlled and in two of these instances, automobile accidents were narrowly avoided. My company asked me to file this complaint as this is a major safety concern that could cause death or very serious injury. The car has been back to the dealership for this complaint, however, they have been unable to find the problem and correct it. It is currently in the shop again.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jun 082005

Magnum 8-cyl

The consumer states that 2005 Dodge Magnum rt has been stalling and pulling to the right. The consumer says that the vehicle stalled while driving at 35-65 mph. The vehicle stalled nine times. The consumer had the vehicle towed to the dealership. The dealerships told the consumer to take it to other dealerships. Chrysler told the consumer to go to glove box and follow the instructions to file for the lemon law. The car pulled to the right heavily. The consumer said that arm was sore from pulling at the steering wheel and trying to keep it on the road. The consumer says that Chrysler refuses to do anything about it. Transmission is making a thumping sound. The esp warning light is coming on and staying on. The light came on four times.

- Placentia, CA, USA

Sep 252005

Magnum 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Magnum SXT, the car has pulled to the right since day one, it has been aligned 2 times now. The 2 front tires are wearing badly on the outside, the driver side is worse than the passenger side. I have requested that Chrysler replace the tires at this time I have not heard an answer on that. I have been told that the wear on the tires is not due to the car pulling to the right that it is a wear problem (I guess the way I drive) I don't agree!! my car has also stalled 3 times while going in reverse. My gauge lights and headlights flash and flicker every time they are turned on the dealer has said they have seen it flicker one time, they must drive with their eyes closed!! sometimes the back window can not be rolled up by the drivers controls.

- Columbiana, AL, USA