Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: This is a classic example of why you should avoid the first model year of a new car. Sure, it's new and shiny but there's going to be some growing pains.

The 2005 Magnum has problems with the gear shifter getting stuck, a shaky and sometimes stalled engine and transmission failure at 75,000 miles.

Let someone else deal with those headaches.

2005 Dodge Magnum fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Magnum:

2005 Dodge Magnum Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 012016

The fuel pump is located directly under the passenger side back seat. It has a leak, and my car has been smeeling like gas for a month now without my knowledge. I finally took it to a mechanic and there was a poddle of gas under the seat where the nipple on the fuel pump broke. Not to mention my battery in the trunk, well the wires cross right over the fuel pump. This is not safe at all. These items should be nowhere near each other.

- Centerville, GA, USA

Sep 172016

Magnum 6-cyl

Every time I refuel to a full tank the engine will surge or completely stall out within a 1/2 mile. Now there is a strong fuel smell as well when I fill up tank. Because of these problems, I only fill to 3/4. doing this seems to help both issues. Thank you Chrysler for not covering my model in the gas tank recall for faulty vent valves. All LX Chrysler have this problem. I already replaced a fuel pump seal, charcoal canister, nvld valve and purge valve. No help. This needs the tank recall or someone may die.

- Coppell, TX, USA

Apr 052016

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Magnum. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted after a few attempts. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Dec 012015

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Magnum. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle did restart. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the fuel tank failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 62,000.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Mar 122016

I have had an ongoing problem with my 2005 Dodge Magnum rt 5.7L 58,000 mi on it. After filling up the gas tank, the vehicle will shut down during driving many times before finally going again. All power including the power steering goes. I didn't relate the problem at first with fueling, this has been happening for a few years. I took it to the Dodge dealer a few years ago, and had the PCM, and other parts replaced, stalled on the way home. Nothing has worked so far. This seems to be an ongoing problem with these vehicles. I don't even trust it to drive on the highway, and I don't like even putting my grandchildren in the car, because you never know, it could stall anywhere, I planned on keeping this car for a long time I still have very low miles on it., and now I fear it. Dodge needs to do something about this. I haven't seen any recalls on this, but I have seen some people have had the fuel tank replaced stating it is the rollover valve. Just because these cars are older doesn't mean we have to give them up. Dodge please help! we shouldn't have to pay for a problem in 85+% of the cars

- Odessa, FL, USA

Feb 292016

After filling up my car with gas on numerous occasions, it stalls out. I have almost been hit in the rear by another car. It stalls at slow speeds as well as on the highway and I lose my power steering and brakes. I have to put it in neutral real quick and restart if possible. Very dangerous!

- Manassas, VA, USA

Dec 032015

Chrysler is very aware of their fuel tank lifetime warranty for past two years. My vehicle has been sitting in dealership for 10 weeks due to stalling after getting gas in an oncoming intersection. They are not sending the parts and keep giving us the run around. They keep giving us a case manger number that never answers. I guess we are to drive into incoming traffic again and hope for the best. I think its time that this becomes a mandatory recall rather sending out false letters that the problem will be fixed. I am sure we are not the only ones getting the run around or have been almost hit because our cars will not go.

- Mitchell, SD, USA

Jan 262016

Engine stalls after filling fuel tank. Called service dept. At nearest Dodge dealer on 1/26/16. Was told this is a known problem which requires replacement of the fuel tank. Service advisor offered to put me on the list, which I agreed to, and then stated there are 10 people on the list, then said they haven't done one of those for about a year. Sounds like the tank vendor is not supplying the dealer with enough tanks, or delaying the shipment of replacement tanks. The stalling problem is the subject of many NHTSA complaints and matter was "resolved" by extending warranty on the tank to lifetime warranty, but this doesn't help if the vehicle owner has to wait for years for the dealer to get a replacement tank.

- Los Olivos, CA, USA

Jan 252016

After filling fuel tank and driving away from station car completely loses power and stalls out. I refuel and top off in a normal fashion, by stopping pump at first cut off. This happens about 1 in 10 times I refuel. No check engine lights and I have replaced, purge valve, charcoal canister, and vaccum leak valve. No help. When it quits, I have to restart, which it does, but even when the engine does not stop completely, it always shudders for a few seconds after filling. There as a recall on these vehicles, but only for 5.7 liter engines. The problem is the rollover valve. Chrysler replaced the tanks on the 5.7 LX cars, but will not recognize the problem on the 3.5 and 2.7 liter cars. This is a patterrn failure and a safety item.

- Coppell, TX, USA

Jun 072015

The car shuts down to a crawl. Can't get any codes from it. First time it happened was on the highway pulled to the side of the road and restarted ran fine for the rest of the day. Getting worst every since now sitting in the driveway no codes afraid to put the family in it.I think Dodge discontinued because they can't keep up with the problems

- Middletown, OH, USA

Dec 262015

Engine stalls and cuts out while driving. I have owned this car since new and it has had this issue since the warranty expired. Basically when you fill the car up it will stall until you get the gas level down to a certain point. For years I have been filling the car to 3/4 tank to avoid the issue. This has now happened again on the way back from Florida with my son driving. He filling the car up to the point where the pump clicks off. I think driving a car on the freeway at 70 miles an hour with this stalling is a big issue.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Dec 272015

Car stalls going around corners. 10th incident happened today. All within past year.

- Waunakee, WI, USA

Nov 162015

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Magnum. The contact noticed a strong odor of fuel fumes and the presence of a leak under the front of the vehicle that progressed without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for routine maintenance who noticed a crack in the fuel tank. The mechanic diagnosed that the fuel tank assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was also included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V313000 (air bags) and 14V770000 (air bags) and had not been notified of the safety recalls. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Sep 112015

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Magnum. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. In addition, the contact stated that the fuel tank gauge increased and decreased independently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- North Hollywood , CA, USA

Sep 112015

I believe my cars has a problem with the gas tank. On Friday September 11 2015, we drove the car and it had gas at the time, suddenly the car just turned off on the street. On my gas meter or gage is always reading it on empty when it has fuel. It's also smelling like gasoline now. We bought the car from a used car dealer and it's still being financed. How can I know if it's a manufacture problem, I did some research and it happened to say that this gas problem happens to the Dodge Magnum 2005-2006, if it's a manufacture problem do I call the Dodge dealer and will it be fixed by them. I have two children, I can't drive a vehicle that is not safe. What options do I have. The vehicle also has an air bag recall, which the dealer has not fixed because they don't have the parts it's been over 3 weeks since we received the safety recall notice by mail.

- Northhollywood, CA, USA

Sep 072010

When you fill the gas tank the engine will stall several times until the gas level lowers. If you fill the tank to 3/4 full it wont stall. After the stall the engine will restart after several attempts. Very dangerous if on freeway or no spot to pull over. I bought the car new in 2004.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 032015

After filling up the car with gas it stalls and you lose steering and brake control, very dangerous and my wife is now scared to drive the car. Stalling went away after an hour trying to get home. Next morning seemed to run fine. Next fill up did the same thing. This problem is going to cause deaths for sure if it has not already. Contacting the dealer asap to see if they have others with same issue.

- Huntinton Beach, CA, USA

Feb 202015

Magnum 6-cyl

I have been having issues with my car just dying while I am driving. It has now happened 4xs. When I went online to research this I came across an extended warranty program from Chrysler which stated this issue was with the gas tank and cars were receiving replacement gas tanks. I called their corporate offices to inquire and was told my VIN was not included. How can a car be excluded when it displays this issue? I am scared to drive. It happened to me on the freeway, in a U-turn, once at a stop light and once just driving down the street.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Apr 082013

Upon getting fuel, car would cut out while driving until gas gauge showed about 3/4 full. If manually filled tank to not full, no problem.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jan 192015

2005 Dodge rt Magnum: Right after full-up the car start jerking like if it was trying to cut off, but then smoothed back to normal operation and then started again jerking like if the car was trying to cut off and trying to stay started. After about 10 miles the car running without a problem again.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA