2006 Dodge Magnum drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Magnum:

2006 Dodge Magnum Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 152016

Magnum

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Magnum. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 40 mph, a unknown warning indicator illuminated as the transmission began to jerk continuously. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. After restarting, the vehicle resumed normally for fifteen minutes then the failure recurred. The failure occurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic on three separate occasions. The throttle body was replaced twice and engine coil once. The mechanic also informed that the ECM functioned properly. The failure persisted after the repairs were performed on the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 123,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Mar 312016

Magnum

Engine stalls while stopped also while driving. Which can cause serious accident.

- Oxford, PA, USA

Aug 142015

Magnum 6-cyl

To start this complaint I wanted to first say that my vehicle was parked (not in motion) when this safety issue took place. The issue in question is in regards to recall K39. The transmission gear shift lever interlock return spring hook on my vehicle broke. This broken interlock return spring hook resulted in the inability to move the gear shift lever out of the ┐park┐ position. This in turn left me stranded. Subsequently I took the vehicle to be serviced at the dealership and submitted the resulting reimbursement paperwork to Chrysler. Sadly, the reimbursement was denied B/C Chrysler has not included my VIN in the K39 recall...despite its obvious inclusion.

- Granada Hills, CA, USA

Nov 012014

Magnum

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Magnum. While operating the vehicle, the gear shifter would sometimes become stuck and the vehicle would not accelerate properly. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. While depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle would not immediately stop and the stopping distance was increased. The vehicle was repaired, but no further information was available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Newark, DE, USA

Mar 012015

Magnum

I had bought the car in January 2015 and had the car serviced at Dodge dealer and was told the car (2006 Dodge Magnum SXT) did not have any issues upon a 23 point inspection on 2/7/2015. The car began to leak fluid, I took the vehicle back to the dealer on 2/14/2015 and the leak could not be identified and was told by the dealer that no leaks were present. On the date in question, I was driving between speeds of 30 and 45 as the car was shaking towards the back wheels. After coming to a stop at a light and commencing to drive again, the drive shaft of the car broke off and I stopped the car immediately. Upon reporting this to the dealer I was informed that this does not happen with the Dodge Magnum and this is an odd occurrence. The car was misdiagnosed twice but more than that I would like to save someone from getting hurt as this could a very dangerous situation had the car been operating at higher speeds as the drive train separated from the differential with great force.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 212014

Magnum 6-cyl

My 2006 Dodge Magnum has been a great car. Until yesterday. I had driven the vehicle earlier in the day without problems. Went out to my car after work, started right up as usual - but would not go out of park. After googling the problem, I have found that this is a recurrent problem on both Dodge and Chrysler vehicles. There is a work around, but am very disappointed that this item is not found on any recall lists. While this is not technically a "safety" issue, it is a very frustrating problem. Based on the sheer number of people who seem to have had this problem - a recall should be issued!!!!

- Three Rivers, MI, USA

May 122014

Magnum 8-cyl

The engine stalls randomly after stopping at a stop sign or red light. This will often occur several times in a row. After restarting the car it will not go into gear and be stuck in neutral. The problem will also occur at speed, dying causing a small deceleration and then starting again on its own. This is very dangerous because the driver behind you has no indication that you are stalled and stopping unexpectedly.

- Kenosha , WI, USA

Nov 122013

Magnum 6-cyl

At low speeds and stops my car will shut off at random times. Sometimes 3-5 times in as short of a drive as 10 miles, mainly at intersections. Worst incident was pulling away from a stop sign making a left hand turn with a car coming the direction I was turning, I lost engine power as well as power-steering. In all instances I shut car off and restarted and was able to pull away, although in some cases it would not initially engage into drive. I first experienced after putting a full tank of gas in although now it does not matter the fuel level. It has been progressively getting more frequent.

- Goldsboro, MD, USA

Nov 052013

Magnum 8-cyl

I ran out of fuel on my way to gas station. Called aaa, they brought me 1 gal of gas. Car started fine and drove to gas station (4 miles) with no problems. After filling tank car stalled repeatedly while driving on street (5 or 6 times on way home, maybe 5 miles). Problem occurred several times for the next week. Never had this happen before. Since this time everytime I fill the gas tank the problem re-appears and car stalls while driving or at stop light. Problem persists for a week or so. Also, when the car stalls and the engine is re-started the transmission won't engage for 10 to 15 seconds after shifting into drive. This problem seems to occur the most right after I fill up and gradually disappears as fuel level gets lower. After a week or so the car runs fine, no stalling. The car is not driven daily so it takes a while to burn some of the gas out. I've probably filled the tank 4 times since original onset of problem. I am the original owner of this vehicle.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 152014

Magnum

I'm a 78 year old senior citizen, and I'm the only owner my 2006 Dodge Magnum. It currently has less than 15,000 miles on the vehicle. I was on my way home from a friends funeral and I was just a few miles away from the house when the car started skipping and jerking. By the time I got home the vehicle could not pull up my driveway.I see that my vehicle has had 2 recalls for the powertrain and 10 service bulletins. I've been informed that the transmission will need to be rebuilt since it is no longer manufactured. Can the manufactur offer any goodwill assistance.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Dec 142013

Magnum 8-cyl

Stalled while traveling 65mph, then refired several times. Leaving from a stoplight the Magnum died in the middle of two intersecting highways, restarted, then died again. Issues started shortly after re-fueling with a full tank. Now, after a month, the stalling occurs as low as 1/4 of a tank of fuel. Will run fine for a couple days, then with no warning, stalling comes back and is currently on-going.

- Buena Vista, CO, USA

Sep 092013

Magnum 8-cyl

Engine stalls while driving, also stalls while car is not moving, whether in park, reverse, or drive the car shuts down and sometimes starts up immediately and sometimes it doesn't, if car is moving at speeds above 30 and the stall happens it will kick right back up on it's own.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Nov 182013

Magnum 8-cyl

Vehicle stalled as I was making a U-turn. Vehicle required 3 attempts to restart and after successfully starting the vehicle, transmission would not engage for approximately 5 seconds.

- Southport, CT, USA

Sep 042013

Magnum 8-cyl

Engine stalls every time fuel tank is filled. Typically occurs at an idle immediately after fillup. Leaves me stranded in traffic and has caused several near miss accidents due to stalling at low speed, or acceleration from a low speed. Has stalled while pulling out into traffic, causing people to swerve out of my way almost causing several collisions.

- Monroe, MI, USA

Oct 102013

Magnum

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Magnum. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift from park. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the transmission shifter interlock lever had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in the manufacturer's recall. The failure mileage was 158,000.

- Macome, MI, USA

Aug 122013

Magnum

Normal fill up at costco 91 octane - started to drive away the Magnum srt8 stalled and the vehicle behind me leaving the parking lot hit me. Could not get it to run correctly for about 30 minutes. My wife and baby in the car very worried.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 182013

Magnum 6-cyl

Transmission shifter interlock lever return spring hook broke August 16, 2013, I parked my car in the garage at 9pm, no problems at that time. I returned on August 18, 2013 approximately 1:00pm to start my car and I proceeded to take the vehicle out of park and the gear shift wouldn't move. I pressed on the break again and tried again to take the gear shift out of park, it would not move. I couldn't believe this was happening again for I also co-own a Dodge charger and the exact same thing happened to that vehicle on July 30th. I called my mechanic and he walked me through the steps to get the vehicle out of park (remove the plate around the gear shift, take a long screw driver and move the wire extending to the gear shift to the left, which would release the gear out of park) and it worked. I was out-of-town and completely stressed that this was happening to my 2nd Dodge vehicle. Both vehicles were purchased within a couple of weeks of each other and from the same dealer. (michael jordan Nissan). A recall has been issued for this part but neither of my vehicles are covered. I really need this to be investigated, for I need both of my vehicles to work properly. What are the odds of owning 2 vehicles from Dodge, having the same problem to occur with both vehicles within weeks a part.

- Durham, NC, USA

Aug 122013

Magnum

I have 3.5L SXT model vehicle. My vehicle has dangerous acceleration problems when the vehicle is in proper running temperature. When you pull out onto a street you expect that the vehicle will accelerate to the flow of traffic. There have been many times that I press the gas pedal to the floor and it is like dragging an anchor behind me. I have been doing lots of reading about this issue and I am not the only person with this problem. It appears that this could be a simple fix from Chrysler by a corrected program issue for the transmission. I would love to see a tsb be issued for this as it is going to cause a bad crash due to the vehicle not responding as it should. This problem, from what I can tell, is only with one specific transmission used in this model vehicle. Like I said above, this is an easy fix for Chrysler by reprogramming the transmission operation but they are not wanting to help fix the problem. Please help and I would like to hear back from someone about this issue. Thanks.

- Dalton, GA, USA

Aug 052011

Magnum

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Magnum. The contact stated that the gear shifter would not shift out of park. The vehicle was towed to a local dealer where it was repaired and diagnosed as a drive shaft malfunction. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 162008

Magnum 6-cyl

The vehicle will not reach RPM over 3000rpm this is associated with the transmission. When this occurs (intermittently) the transmission forward gear selection does not work nor appear on the dash board selector only the D is lit it will not shift to lower gears as it would do normally ie. 4, 3, 2,1. if the car is brought to a stop and shut off it will when started again it will behave normally. Since this occurs intermittently and without warning it presents a serious hazard as acceleration fails when entering traffic?

- Rego Park , NY, USA