1. dodge should make this a major recall (84 reports)
  2. recall & replace at no cost to owner (73 reports)
  4. replace dashboard (24 reports)
  5. recall defective dash (4 reports)
  6. never buy another dodge (3 reports)
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Dodge Ram 1500:

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 10 of 11)

May 172008

Ram 1500

I've read about this being a problem so I have watched closely and sure enough while cleaning the interior I found my dash has started cracking. It starts at the defroster vent on the drivers side and is working its way straight up. I marked where the crack stops and will watch daily to see if it continues, which I'm sure after reading all the complaints it will. Just another reason to switch to Honda or Toyota.

- , Ansonia, OH, USA

Jan 072005

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

My dash exploded unbelievable never seen this before and hopefully never again!

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

May 302004

Ram 1500 1500 5.2L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I feel mad every time I get in my truck and see inside my dash. This ram problem is the only bad thing in my truck & I feel that dodge should make a mayor recall since the price of this part is extremely expensive.

- , Anasco, PR, Puerto Rico

Apr 022005

Ram 1500 Sport 3.8L

I will never own another Dodge. There service support is about worthless.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 262006

Ram 1500

from the time i bought this 1500 Ram, the dashboard was loose, i had the dealer fix it, they tighted, after the warrenty was up that is when the dashboard started cracking, I have called the dodge company, and the would do nothing about it. first i glue the pieces together, got me a dash cover, but after a year the dashboard cracked in to hundred of pieces.

- , Oceanside, CA, USA

May 012007

Ram 1500 1599 5.2L

the interior is garbage all plastic cigarette lighter housing broke, sunglass holder broke, map light broke I will never buy another dodge again

- , Ronkonkoma, NY, USA

Mar 012007

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.2L V8

Surprise, surprise....another cracked dashboard here, and the dealer wants a ton of money to fix it. After searching online for "cracked 2000 Dodge Ram dashboard" I find that it's pretty much the rule and not the exception. Of course Dodge refuses to replace it - I hope it doesn't take someone being injured by shrapnel during an airbag deployment to force them to address this issue. It IS a safety issue, not merely a cosmetic issue. Even if it was only cosmetic, the fact is that a lot of us paid a chunk of money for a truck that can't hold its value due to inferior quality. The resale/trade-in value of my truck is in the tank with that lovely cracked dashboard staring out at everyone.

You would think the money they would spend fixing this would be an investment in their future customer base, but apparently they aren't concerned with that.

This was our first and LAST Dodge product. Dodge won't ever see another penny of our money, and we will be sure to advise ALL of our friends away from this company's products.

- , Dalton, GA, USA

Jun 192003

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

Dash started cracking in june 2003, progressively got worse over next year and then early in 2005 it completely disintegrated, I have huge chunks of the dash missing and the bezel is about to fall off because there is nothing for it to attach to. Was going to replace dash cap but before I could it got to this point and now that won't fix it. Need a complete new dash and that will cost me 1300.00 for Dodge using substandard plastic.

- , West Monroe, LA, USA

Mar 272007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 that has a severely cracked dashboard. At first I thought it cracked because I had the evaporator replaced at about 36001 miles (you know, just out of warranty) and perhaps the technician had 'torqued' the dash a little when he re-installed it. After talking with a local body shop though this cracked dash problem is quite common among the Dodge Ram 1500 trucks. The body shops won't even touch it because too many pieces break in the process of replacing the part. I think it is called the 'upper pan' and I think Dodge should be replacing this piece of sh*t dash board. I used a sun shield a lot to protect the dash and interior from the hot Texas sun so I do not think this is due to over exposure from uv's. Just my two cents worth, but I have had too many problems with this vehicle in too short of a period of time and I will consider other brands before Dodge when I purchase my next vehicle. Dodge ain't listening either...

- , Baytown, TX, USA

Apr 262007

Ram 1500 5.2 V8

Dodge should have had a recall on these. I've seen many of them cracked across the center above the radio. I've only had the dash removed once by a dealer to fix and electrical problem, but they deny doing it.

- , Pocomoke City, MD, USA

May 092007

Ram 1500 EXT. CAB V8

We bought this Dodge Ram truck new and the dash started cracking within about 36,000 miles. Some pieces have fallen down inside the dash but we have covered the dash with a dash cover so it's not as noticeable. Since so many folks are having this problem this should be a recall on the dashes. We have never had a dash do this before and we have even owned older vehicles that did not do this. Dodge should replace it.

- , Kissimmee, FL, USA

Jan 012005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

this is my second dodge ram one 1996 and now my 2000 both dashes have cracked severely and it really sucks the whole trucks in perfect condition all black 22inch rims

very nice then you get in and see cracks all over the dash and if close you can see them

through the windshield it makes a nice truck look crappy, dodge wont do nothing about

it and i don't want to pay 900 dollars just for it to crack again so i am pretty much screwed dodge should take better care of its customers i know and they know these dashes are faulty so do something about dodge and keep a good customer happy i had

plans to buy a new dodge truck now i am looking else where because of this.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

May 102006

Ram 1500 Quadcab 5.2L V8

Started as a crack on passengers side and now has chunks falling inside. Tried to glue,but found that glue does not fix the problem. Was told the only way to glue was to use epoxy because of the dash composition. Checked into getting a replacement from the dealer and it is $402 and does not include installing. Had the windshield changed by insurance because of rock crack and the dash is worse now since the windshield has relieve its stress into the dash. Like others before me I now have a holey dash that my grandson doesn't like the looks of! I am due to get another truck, but I'm going for a Chevrolet the next time and crush this one.

- , Moncks Corner, SC, USA

Jul 122006

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

Everyone I know with th '98 to '01 Dodge Rams seem to be encountering this in some form or another. I know of 4 cracked dashboards including mine that run from the defrost vent across the dash toward the passenger area. So far mine hasn't started to crumble apart yet although I get a weird pop like the pieces knocking together when I cross rough tracks or terrain. The one vehicle that I know of that didn't have the cracked dash ended up with a cracked windshield that started in the same location. The rumor/guess that I hear in this area is that the vehicle frame has a design flaw that puts strain in the center front area of the cab.

- , Fremont, OH, USA

Jan 022004

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

The Dash is not only coming apart, the door on the glove compartment now falls off when it is opened. This truck had to have a new rear end and new transmission put in it before it reached 100,000 miles: And the Tape player just went out.

- , Rockport, TX, USA

Sep 282007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L V8

I have a 2000 dodge ram slt and have the same problem with the crack in the

dashboard but theres nothing i can do about it but theres one tip I got for you try

unscrewing the dashboard a bit it helps it so it can move freely when its a hot day

and open your windows.

- , Port Burwell, Ontario, Canada

Dec 022007

Ram 1500 V8

I have been reading about the cracked dashboard problems and I though I would put mine on the list. I have not looked into any repairs because it looks like no body else has had any luck getting any help. Besides I do not want to spend any $$ if it's going to only get worse.

- , Robinson, IL, USA

May 052007

Ram 1500 Off Road 5.9L V8

I'm trying to trade-in/sell truck and this is the major complaint from potential buyers. It's a huge eye sore and is killing any value in the vehicle I had. The crack in my dashboard makes an otherwise decent looking truck look like crap.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jun 042004

Ram 1500 5.2L

OK, I know I am a little behind on this, I even called Dodge and emailed them back in

2004 when this first happened. They told me tough basically. I do NOT have any dash left to put a dash cover on to support it. Even the piece that goes around the instrument

panel is cracked in several places. I took all the pieces and glued them back together and that held for a year. It is not only the material used in the making of the dashes. Dodge should have made the windshields with a little more tint to them since it was a selling point about being able to see out them. If anyone has had their fixed by Dodge let me know.

- , Damon, TX, USA

May 102007

Ram 1500 1500 Quad Cab 360 CID

This crack is in the same place as other trucks being documented. Scot Cooper of ch.6 news (Tampa, FL.) is compiling a file on people who report the same problem. (Pictures sent & available)

- , Davenport, FL, USA