8.7

1. dodge should make this a major recall (84 reports)
  2. recall & replace at no cost to owner (73 reports)
  4. replace dashboard (24 reports)
  5. recall defective dash (4 reports)
  6. never buy another dodge (3 reports)
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Dodge Ram 1500:

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 9 of 11)

Jan 222004

Ram 1500

The transmission went out on my truck and fixing it was a costly expense. I hope dodge has fixed the problem.Along this huge problem, my dash caved in. I hope that no small child gets hurt with flying pcs. from the dash when and if the vehicle is in a wreck. Its a shame that dodge owners have huge holes in the dash. I'm short, I don't see the dash when I'm sitting in the drivers seat, but when I'm on the passengers side this is all I see when I'm going down the road, getting more pissed as the trip grows longer. I'd be ashamed if I was dodge. Dodge needs to make this a safety recall before they are hit with a huge lawsuit .

- , Woodbury, TN, USA

Mar 032001

Ram 1500 V8 5.7L

We had the first dash replaced. Within a year the second one started cracking. It now is actually falling apart. I have never seen anything like this in my life. I can not believe a company can get away with this . My husband bought this truck new, to last a while and this is what we got with our hard earned money. He is now disabled and it makes me so angry to look at his truck, literally falling apart in our drive. I hope some sort of suit can be made, and if it can please put our name at the top of it.

- , Denham Springs, LA,, USA

Dec 152005

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

I am very upset with the dodge dealers. They would not replace my dash even though I was under my extended warranty. They told me it was because I had left my truck in the sun. However up to that point my truck had been garge kept. My truck was my baby now I am just disgusted with it and wish I had the money to buy something else.

- , Banning, ca, USA

Dec 012006

Ram 1500 Maroon 5.2L V8

I see why these auto companies are in trouble. At least Dodge. If it was up to me I think the U.S.government shouldn't give this company a dime in auto bailout money. They didn't help me at all so let them go for broke.

- , Texarkana, AR, USA

Jan 012001

Ram 1500 1500 3.2L V6

I'm another one that bought the dash cover, which I can't stand, how many dashes have to crack before Dodge recalls , I had one Dealership in Cleburne TX quote me $1500.00 back in 01. Guess what, I went back to FORDS

- , Joshua, TX, USA

Sep 082006

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

I was really happy to purchase my first and now my last Dodge Truck. I owned Chevy Trucks most of my adult life. I decided to purchase this Dodge because I really liked how it looked, drove and performed. Boy was I wrong! The dash started its first crack on the passenger side right above the glove box. It traveled to the defrost vent where it stopped. The second started about 3" to the left and continued on to the middle of the dash. This is where it decided it didn't like that direction, so it turned and went the other way until it stopped at the windshield. All the while I'm calling and yelling at anyone from Dodge to PLEASE fix my truck. Nope....not covered!! I now have so many cracks I lost count. Dodge, if your listening, I will buy another truck. JUST NOT YOURS!!

- , Morris, IL, USA

Jul 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 that I had been very happy with up till about a year ago. I have had the same problem with the dash. I was always getting comments on how good it was taken care of and that it still looked new, until now. The inside looks like sh*t!First, one small hairline crack and the next thing I know is there are cracks running from front to back all the way across on both parts of the dash. I was told by the dealership that it was not under warranty and that they had a lot of problems with them, but they just crack after a while and there was nothing to do about it unless I wanted to spend $1,200 to $1,400 to fix it myself. This was my second Dodge truck in a row, but unless they own up to the problem, recall and fix them it will be my last. If they correct the problem on new trucks in the future, it will be too late!

- , Bedford, TX, USA

Aug 132005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

MY DAD OWNED THE 5.9 LITER DODGE RAM 1500 V8 AND HAS HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH IT AND NOW HAS GIVEN IT TO ME. i HAVE TO COVER UP THE DASH BOARD BECAUSE THE WHOLE ON IT IS VERY BIG; I'VE SEEN OTHERS BUT I THINK MINE IS ONE OF THE WORST BECAUSE THERE'S AT LEAST A FOOT OF WHOLE SPACE. THIS IS A VERY ANNOYING PROBLEM. AND I HAVE SEARCHED FOR A REPLACEMENT. IT'S BEEN CRACKED SINCE 2005 AND I WILL START DRIVING IT IN 2009, MY DAD IS GIVING ME THE TRUCK IT'S A VERY GOOD TRUCK BUT IT'S JUST THE DASHBOARD THAT GETS TO ME' DODGE NEEDS TO MAKE A RECALL AND DO SOMETHING BECAUSE THIS PROBLEM WONT GO AWAY;! AND SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE ABOUT IT~~

- , Wauchula, FL, USA

Sep 102008

Ram 1500 Laraime V8 Magnum

I PURCHASED THIS TRUCK USED FROM A LOCAL DEALER.IT HAD 1 CRACK THAT I NOTICED AT THE TOP OF THE BLACK PLASTIC THAT SURROUNDS THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER.WITHIN 2 DAYS OF DRIVING MY DODGE,I HAD CRACKS AND CHUNKS FALLING IN.I STILL LIKE THE DODGE,BUT NOW MY INTERIOR LOOKS S**T.IM TEMPTED TO BUILD MY OWN FROM FIBERGLASS,AND SEND CHRYSLER THE BILL.

- , Henrietta, TX, USA

May 052001

Ram 1500 4x4 360

Guess what happens when those little cracks connect. Your dashboard explodes and pieces fall into the dash. Then connections and wirring inside the dash are compromised. Switches, lights, fans, vents are all effected depending on the size of the pieces which are falling into the dash. I loved the truck when I first got it, now it just makes me sick. I spent way too much money on a truck for this to happen, especially when on disability. Dodge should recall these trucks for the dashboard problems. They would go bankrupt fixing all of them though. SICK SICK SICK........I thought I was getting a great truck, boy was I totally wrong.

- , Lizton, IN, USA

Sep 062008

Ram 1500 Magnum 5.2L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I bought this truck 2 years ago. It had 33k mi on it when I did. In February of this year the transmission went out and I had to pay $1700.00 to get it rebuilt. I noticed the dash beginning to crack but I didn't think anything of it really. That is til a big CHUNK fell out of the dash! I think this should be a recall by Chrysler. They know what they did, and should pay for it. I can tell you for sure, this truck has pissed me off. I once was a Mopar fan, but I'm changing over to Chevy. F*CK Dodge.

- , Midlothian, TX, USA

May 092007

Ram 1500 Dashboard

Another person added to the list of complaints about my Dodge Ram 1500 Dashboard falling apart day by day. The dealer said the dashboard cost about $1,000 and another 1,000 for labor to replace it. He recommended that I buy a $50.00 dashboard cover, one of the contoured ones. I recommended that Dodge recall all trucks (make year) that are having this problem. Dodge SUCKS!

- , Fayetteville, NC, USA

Apr 172008

Ram 1500 1500 5.2L

my dash board is being held together by gorilla glue to prevent it from falling on the floor of the truck, it is to the point of i am afraid to drive my vehicle because of the likelihood of the dash completely crumbling...this is beyond a crack, this 15 to 20 cracks across my dash board from the front to the back, a piece 5 inches wide and 8 inches long fell into the dash and the dash is cracked around the screws that attach it to the inside of the truck...dodge refused to do anything about it in April and everyday there are more cracks and everyday they all get worse....there are too many issues with dashes for it to be a coincidence...this is clearly a manufacturing flaw in the plastic and needs to be resolved by dodge...this is a recall item and everyone on this complaint form should start a contingency lawsuit against dodge advertise like the attorneys do for the drug recalls and lets see how much many people we can find with the same problem and make them fix the problem and uphold some responsibility to manufacturing issues that consumers are complaining about....

- , Austin, TX, USA

Jul 012006

Ram 1500

Today I decided to research purchasing a new dash for my husband's 2000 Dodge Ram and I found all of this information abut the defect. I had no idea it was a defect until today - I just assumed it was over exposure to the sun. I then called my local dealership to see if Chrysler has changed its position and is offering any help and I was told that they've "updated the replacement part" so that the new dash now purchased to replace the original damaged dash will no longer crack. Great, but what about cost? No help.

I've contacted my local news station and reported the problem to see about gaining some media coverage. I've also searched NHTSA's website and they do not consider it a safety issue. The research I've found shows that some people are experiencing electrical issues and attribute it to wires being exposed to the elements which used to be hidden behind the protective dash. The electrical issues include break lights, head lights and dash lights going out. This makes the cracked dash a safety issue. I certainly hope something is done soon.

- , Wichita, KS, USA

Aug 152006

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

Replacement dash for my color was almost 50% higher than same dash in a different shade of gray. Clearly this was a cash cow for Dodge. I did the replacement myself and spent most of a Saturday doing it. Otherwise, I would have had to pay someone to do it. Why was my dash more expensive just because the color (charcoal) was different?

- , Round Rock, TX, USA

Feb 052003

Ram 1500 SLT V8

If most people are having the same issue with the cracked dashboard. Dodge/Chrysler should step up to the plate and get this problem fixed. I almost did not buy another Dodge Ram because of the dash. When I went into the dealer to have the issue resolved, it was going to cost in excess of $750.00. There are no salvage yards that have these dashes available because they are already cracked. Not a good quality product, and being a Dodge owner all of my buying life, I really expected more than this out of the company.

- , Killeen, TX, USA

Jun 132005

Ram 1500 318

problem is rampant. see my previous note sent to you regarding first 2 dashboards which have been replaced

- , Lonoke, AR, USA

Jun 012003

Ram 1500 318

i am now replacing the dashboard on the 2000 ram dodge 1500 for the second time(first

was 2003) which will make my 3rd dashboard. interestingly, in order to save money,

i called salvage yards for a dashboard and there were none because they were all cracked as well. i have contacted dodge and i'm not sure the problem has been corrected. what a pain . what poor quality in the vehicle. the problem is widespread throughout the country and well documented

- , Lonoke, AR, USA

May 302007

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

My dashboard is cracked in at least 20 different areas with one piece actually caved in over the driver's area. I have tried to repair the cracks with epoxy, but they continue to spread. Until now, I thought I was the only one with a defective dash. Apparently, there are many of us and Chrysler has yet to attempt a resolve. News station 6 out of Orlando, FL has reported on this issue, and you can read about it online. They reported floods of e-mails coming into their station of owners with the exact same problem. Shame on Chrysler for not addressing this issue better. I too would love to see a class action lawsuit. I would be in the front as well!!!!!

- , Monroe, NC, USA

Sep 142007

Ram 1500 SLT V8 Magnum

Dashboard cracked and subsequently broke into small pieces. Repair shop has tried for 9 months to get a replacement and cannot get the back ordered part. Local dealers are no help, and problem appears to be fairly chronic.

- , Brandon, MS, USA